Texans’ Eric Winston: No telling how long lockout will last

Winston_Eric

Reactions from players are pouring in after Monday’s ruling in favor of the owners from the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, and it’s no surprise that the players aren’t happy about it.

One player, Texans offensive tackle Eric Winston, says the fans shouldn’t be happy about it, either.

It’s every player’s fear and should be the fans’ fear, too, because if the judges rule in favor of the owners, there’s no telling how long the lockout will last,” Winston told the Houston Chronicle. “I’m not surprised by this decision, but I hope it’s not a preview of what’s coming down the pike.”

What won’t be coming down the pike any time soon are organized team activities, and that has one of Winston’s teammates, tight end Joel Dreessen, disappointed.

“I’m one of those players who enjoys OTAs,” Dreessen said. “I think they’re kind of fun. You get to be with your teammates, and you start to build that competitiveness we need for the season.”

Clearly Dreessen hasn’t been talking to Stevie Johnson.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Texans’ Eric Winston: No telling how long lockout will last”
  1. jwf842s says: May 17, 2011 8:09 AM

Eric’s right. There’s no telling how long the lockout will last because the players will not budge on their demands.

2. chapnastier says: May 17, 2011 8:15 AM

I think I speak for everyone outside of the city of Houston when I say “Who?”

3. mac3333 says: May 17, 2011 8:17 AM

Let the owners win if it means the draft and the competitive balance of the league remains in tact.

The absolute WORST scenario is for the players to get everything they want. This would be the death blow to mid market franchises. No draft, no salary cap etc etc

I usually side with Labor over management. And I am not on the Owners side, but if DeMaurice Smith gets everything he wants it would spell doom for fans. And in the end its the fans and the fans only that I care about.

4. eagles83 says: May 17, 2011 8:19 AM

The Owners won in court, so now that there aren’t any more lawsuits for these a-holes to file what’s left? The owners made an offer to the players yesterday, so at this point it’s all on the players.

5. duanethomas says: May 17, 2011 8:25 AM

This is over, the owners won. Players can not afford to miss game checks and now should try and get the best deal possible. The last time the Union fell apart because of the QB club. Now it will be the lack of financial planning by guys like Antonio Cromartie. They can not afford to stay out, so direct DeMaurice Smith to get the best deal possible, so the season starts on time.

6. dangcote says: May 17, 2011 8:31 AM

I’m tired of the owners and players telling me to be mad and fearful, and then blame the other side.

I hope the owners crush the players, give the players more money and they will buy more mansions, build huge ponds in their backyards, maybe open a resturant. Give the owners more money and they will build better stadiums and add to the fan experience.

7. tundey says: May 17, 2011 8:33 AM

What is this football you are talking about? I seem to have a vague recollection of a beautiful game that combines smarts and brute force. Alas, with every day my memory of that game fades.

8. readimgram1 says: May 17, 2011 8:41 AM

This will end when the players start negotiating in good faith and bring some offers to the table. The owners talking to themselves will not end this.

Players need to participate in the process.

You are about to lose all real leverage when the 8th circuit rules against you in June. Do it now before that happens.

9. jw731 says: May 17, 2011 8:45 AM

As a fan, I don’t really have any “fears” all these greed mongers can’t split the pie….Perhaps, he should have said he’d be disappointed for the fans, you know the people who pay your salary…Don’t try to sell the union crap

10. skins359 says: May 17, 2011 8:47 AM

Don’t worry Eric, De Smith is on your side……okay maybe it’s time to start worrying.

11. commoncents says: May 17, 2011 8:50 AM

I’m a fan Eric, and I am really happy about it! Fans are on the side of football but you players wouldn’t have negotiated in good faith if the lockout was lifted. The owners have made offers, now it’s time for the PA to sit down and do a deal…or go hungry.

12. dryzzt23 says: May 17, 2011 9:03 AM

Someone look to see if puppetmaster D Smith is pulling the strings on Winston.

Are the players really that mindless? Theplayers seem to be a legion of myrmidons. Did none of them major in business?

I wonder how many ex-players, who now run businesses of their own, can see the owners point of view now.

13. commoncents says: May 17, 2011 9:10 AM

The lockout will last as long as you players can survive without money. With no union, it comes down to a player vote on a new contract. As soon as De steps aside, this labor dispute will be over.

14. fltharley says: May 17, 2011 9:24 AM

im going to miss football , i hate our court system when two republican judges can ignore the law and side with the money. roger goodell and the filthy rich owners are ruining this game. this game will never be the same. and i for one will not spend one dollar on them no matter what , i will not renew my season tickets , i will not watch the nfl channel and i will not watch football. the owners will rue the day they decided they had to have it all. it seems like the owners have no idea of what is happening with the economy. to hell with them

15. preludetosmack says: May 17, 2011 9:24 AM

The lockout will only last as long as the players don’t accept any of the offers on the table from the League.

The lockout could have been avoided if the players wouldn’t have ignored the last few offers from the League. As time has gone by the owners have reduced their position and the players have continued to increase their position.

I hope the owners SMASH the players, then when the players want to strike in a couple years, I hope EVERY one of their comments during this ordeal is brought up to them.

dangcote has it right… owners invest in the league; players invest in themselves.

16. jpmelon says: May 17, 2011 9:29 AM

As long as D. Smith is involved, the players will appear to be unreasonable.

The league has put out two offers in order to start a compromise. The players sued the league because they have said that their (the players)demands are the only ones that matter.

D. Smith can’t save face unless the league gives out all their financial information. The league has made it clear that it will likely shut down before that happens…..in my opinion, it’s time for D. Smith to let someone else become the face of the players perspective.

17. thefiesty1 says: May 17, 2011 10:12 AM

It’s every players fear that their representative are not acting in their best interest.

18. seahawkhuskyfan says: May 17, 2011 10:15 AM

When are the players going to understand this? Is De Smith that good of a BSer or are the players really that dumb? The players are not going to win. I think the offer from the owners should get worse by the day. I am sure the players, with those college degrees, can earn 7 digits somewhere else right?

19. straitalk says: May 17, 2011 10:15 AM

One thing is for sure, and that is the PFT website will from here on be known as the primary vehicle for supporting the owners in any contract negotiations. That this website is the lapdog of the owners isnt really surprising, given the potential 707 million dollar liability the collusion suit may expose the owners and their media partners to (see NBC). With the kind of money being thrown around, real fans would be naive to think their vehicle for football discussion hasn’t been hijacked by the big money guys protecting their wallets.

20. fltharley says: May 17, 2011 10:35 AM

even if the lower court rules that owners owe players 707 million dollars the owners will just appeal it to the republican judges at appelate level and they will overturn that judgement players are totally screwed, this country is about justice to the highest bidder plain and simple

21. mhs8031 says: May 17, 2011 10:46 AM

I appreciate it when the players tell me what I should like. If De Smith is still working for you, then I don’t trust your ability to make decisions for me.

22. preludetosmack says: May 17, 2011 10:47 AM

The reason this website slants towards the owners is that you have to be intelligent enough to type to post on here.

That requirement alone eliminates 85% of the support for the players.

23. kc4life7 says: May 17, 2011 10:59 AM

_________________________________

These kind of comments piss me off and are insulting to intelligent fans. Just because we can look objectively at the situation and choose to side with the owners doesn’t mean we are plants.

It makes me think you are one of the stupid players D-Smith has brainwashed.

D-Smith actually came out with a comment today saying “The NFL is the only league to sue to not have a season”

Really, D-Smith? YOU DECERTIFIED AND SUED THEM!!!! He is the ultimate spin doctor and the players are too stupid to realize it!

24. thekingdave says: May 17, 2011 12:25 PM

@chapnastier

Pretty sad if you really don’t know who Eric Winston. Solid right tackle who’s quotes have been used in many lockout stories this offseason.

25. straitalk says: May 17, 2011 12:29 PM

I love it. You dupes are actually hurt, offended and upset on behalf of the billionaires! Brainwashing is a powerful tool. I’m sure the billionaires feel and appreciate your pain, and will reciprocate your dogged, worshipful support by reducing season ticket prices? Nah… Or reducing food and beverage prices in stadiums? Nah… How about building their stadiums without public funds? Nah… How about getting rid of blackout games? Never. Maybe reducing parking prices? Nope. Well, the proverbial tongue bath you have bestowed on the billionaires will certainly be appreciated, just make sure you don’t forget all the good spots!