McNabb declines to say whether he refused to wear a wristband

Washington Redskins v New York Giants Getty Images

Redskins (for now) quarterback Donovan McNabb absorbed a one-two punch last week, the first from Bernard Hopkins and the second via an intriguing report that McNabb refused to wear a wristband containing the team’s offensive plays.  His agent responded to the latest Hopkins howitzer; to date, neither McNabb nor his agent acknowledged the wristband story.

On Wednesday, McNabb addressed the wristband issue, refusing to say whether he refused to wear a wristband, according to Mike Jones of the Washington Post.  Instead, McNabb called the story “amazing,” and he expressed confusion as to why rumors and criticism continue to follow him.

“For someone who’s so quiet and really just tries to be the best at what I do, and to be a part of the firestorm every offseason, it’s amazing,” McNabb said.  “But I never let that affect what I’m doing.  I write goals for myself every season and offseason, and I look to achieve those goals, and they really make you stronger mentally and physically.  Things are going to be out there negative, out there about you.  Everyone’s going to play the hoopla and what-if.  But I can only control what I can control.  All I can do is make sure I’m ready when the time comes.”

As to whether that effort to make sure he’s ready included a refusal to wear a wristband that could have made him even more ready, we’re left to infer that, by saying nothing, McNabb said it all.

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
50 Responses to “McNabb declines to say whether he refused to wear a wristband”
  1. yzguy431 says: May 18, 2011 4:15 PM

sweet, more wristband news.

2. frankfordyellowjackets says: May 18, 2011 4:15 PM

McNabb’s the Rodney Dangerfield of football. No respect.

3. geniusesq says: May 18, 2011 4:17 PM

McNabb needs to understand that you can be classy without being a total mime. You constantly are in a firestorm of criticism because you allow it. It’s like a kid who gets picked-on every day because bullies know he won’t hit back.

Only you can prevent forest fires McNabb. Grow a pair.

4. thephantomstranger says: May 18, 2011 4:17 PM

McNabb and Favre must have the same PR guy.

5. skoobyfl says: May 18, 2011 4:18 PM

I make staying in the league your goal this year, I think that’s going to be hard to do.

6. turgidsen says: May 18, 2011 4:18 PM

joegibbsisking says:
    May 18, 2011 4:01 PM
    boysroll says:
    May 18, 2011 3:03 PM
    I would like to throw my name into the hat as the starting QB for the 4skins…LMAO.

I am so glad Shanny and co landed with this org. This is so comical and we all know one thing if we do have a season. 4skins have last place secured. LMAO
    ———————————————————————–

Wow!!!I mean really? Did anyone see this comment coming from boysroll. What type of creative and intelligent mind thinks of things like this to post. I am umm ,truly impressed . He must be a Dallas Cowboy Fan . Let me just say it again , “WOW”!!!

I bet he could play for the Redskins. Or anything professional football team. He is after all 7 foot 8, 475 lbs and can bench press Albert Haynesworth, remember
    ==========================================================================

He probably can throw a football over a mountain. If only they would have let him in the football game in highschool he would have won it for his team.

7. marvsleezy says: May 18, 2011 4:21 PM

I agree I would never wear a wristband – Thats where I draw the line. Who do they think I am?

8. beckzhere says: May 18, 2011 4:21 PM

“Thumbs up” if you could care less.

9. commoncents says: May 18, 2011 4:25 PM

Who cares.

10. moochzilla says: May 18, 2011 4:29 PM

POOR OLD DONOVAN…

Classic McNabb here. Standard statement about how he’s a victim and a martyr…

And now the statement that it’s beneath him to respond, followed by a lengthy response…

“But I never let that affect what I’m doing. I write goals for myself every season and offseason, and I look to achieve those goals, and they really make you stronger mentally and physically. Things are going to be out there negative, out there about you. Everyone’s going to play the hoopla and what-if. But I can only control what I can control. All I can do is make sure I’m ready when the time comes.”

And the media eats it up.

Poor old Donovan. Victim. Martyr. Classy guy.

11. moochzilla says: May 18, 2011 4:31 PM

Oh, and that he’s totally at the mercy of events. Like that wasn’t him out there under-performing every week, that had nothing to do with him losing his job.

“But I can only control what I can control. All I can do is make sure I’m ready when the time comes.”

Ignore the fact that he hasn’t been “ready” by any NFL standard worthy of note in several seasons.

12. baddegg says: May 18, 2011 4:34 PM

yzguy431 says: May 18, 2011 4:15 PM

sweet, more wristband news.

Makes me hearken for the good ole days where we could come on this site every day for another update regarding whether Favre would retire or not. Well, I guess it’s not too late.

13. citizenstrange says: May 18, 2011 4:38 PM

A little off topic but I have a SWEET “Jackass” wristband and an even SWEETER “Dodgeball” headband that I got when I bought those DVDs.

14. canuck54143 says: May 18, 2011 4:41 PM

Jay Cutler must be getting all his advise from McNabb. That explains alot

15. phileborn says: May 18, 2011 4:41 PM

Supposedly he didnt want to wear the band because it would make him look stupid….doesn’t Tom Brady wear a wristband? How’s he makin out?

16. CKL says: May 18, 2011 4:42 PM

Sometimes a person’s refusing to say something one way or the other is not an indicator of whether the accusation is true or not. In this case, I believe that can’t be said. I think that it would have been simple enough and not harmed/affected anyone except himself had he said yes or no. The fact he wouldn’t say either way suggests that he did refuse to wear one. It’s not like they asked him if he took drugs or something else that could get him suspended from the NFL.

Had he eliminated the first sentence quoted in this post which is a typical McNabb whiny passive aggressive statement, the rest of what he said was fine.

The person who said something relating him to Favre was right on…they are both kings of loathsome passive aggressive behavior.

17. billsfan1 says: May 18, 2011 4:44 PM

Has anybody considered shanny is out of his league sans a HOF QB AND HOF caliber rb? Well everyone but delusional redskins fans

18. gf2711 says: May 18, 2011 4:48 PM

I’m more interested in Kramer not wearing the ribbon!

19. rajbais says: May 18, 2011 4:49 PM

Phoniness alert!!!

Phoniness alert!!!

Hey! I still think he can play, but these moments of secrecy and the mass number of media members overprotecting Donovan regardless of his lack of honesty or refusal to be forthcoming about subjects that are worth talking about are what trouble me.

20. chadmurdigan says: May 18, 2011 4:58 PM

I believe I’ve seen Tom Brady wearing (and looking at) a wristband in a game or two.

21. hoobsher says: May 18, 2011 5:04 PM

wonder what that means

this proves what weve been saying: hes not that good and ONLY a coach like andy could make anything out of this otherwise bum.

22. bhester1906 says: May 18, 2011 5:06 PM

This is as interesting as the Rex Grossman-John Beck battle. The Redskins have no juicy news to report. Stop fluffing up this BS!

23. thephantomstranger says: May 18, 2011 5:06 PM

turgidsen says:
    May 18, 2011 4:18 PM
    joegibbsisking says:
    May 18, 2011 4:01 PM
    boysroll says:
    May 18, 2011 3:03 PM

———————————————————————–

==========================================================================

___________________

How does a comment from the Rex Grossman story wind up on the Donovan McNabb story?

24. r8rsfan says: May 18, 2011 5:10 PM

He clearly could not come up with a logical, reasonable explanation for refusing to wear it. Like they say “If you can’t dazzle ‘em with brilliance baffle ‘em with BS”.

25. beelicker says: May 18, 2011 5:17 PM

“I write goals for myself every season and offseason”.

I wonder if he puts those on his wristband?

“Try to be the best at what I do”
    “Be strong mentally and physically”
    “Only control what I can control”
    “Make sure I’m ready when the time comes”

Maybe he just didn’t have room for Shanny’s plays?

26. sneaky1632 says: May 18, 2011 5:32 PM

He declined to answer because he thought his answer would make him look stupid…. hey I see a pattern forming.

27. revooc48 says: May 18, 2011 5:40 PM

Being an eagles fan I’ve gotten frustrated with mcnabbs qb play a few times but I don’t hate him as a individual for it. I think its about time people back the **** off an give him a break.

28. kingbattle says: May 18, 2011 5:47 PM

maybe that was the problem in philly too.. both his replacements wear wrist bands in kolb and vick.. ohh thats right, hes too classy and have won enough championships to wear a wrist band.. NOT!!

29. bigdog3838 says: May 18, 2011 5:48 PM

hey billsfan1
    how many championships did chuck knoll will without hall of famers bradshaw or swann? holmgren withou farve, walsh without montana, young and rice, bilichek without brady? seriously, I am not even a shannahan fan but that argument is retarded. how many did levy win with thomas and kelly, oh thats right.

30. billybats says: May 18, 2011 5:49 PM

I think Donovan is outraged at the question. I mean, the mere suggestion that he might need to wear a wristband, let alone refuse to wear one, MUST mean that the person asking the question is a racist, right?

What a joke this McNabb is. Can this guy just retire already?

31. oranjellojones says: May 18, 2011 5:55 PM

I don’t agree with you much on football points mooch [you’d probably be disappointed if a Redskins fan did ;) ] but you hit it out of the Park with your take here.

What’s truly amazing about it is how many people DM has fooled into this “classy guy, victim” nonsense. They fail to recognize that a statement from his Agent is the same as one from him only minus the gonads to say it himself. He thinks he’s insulating himself from the fallout and evidently he’s right because the media keeps falling for it time and time again. NUTS.

32. blaz0037 says: May 18, 2011 6:01 PM

We’d be happy to have you in MN Donovan!

His stats have declined, but he is still a proven winner.

33. skins359 says: May 18, 2011 6:18 PM

geniusesq says:
    May 18, 2011 4:17 PM

Only you can prevent forest fires McNabb. Grow a pair.
    ————————-
    Yes that strategy works great. Just ask T.O and Moss. I mean sure they get bounced around like a leper in Biblical times the second they stop producing but dangit they’ve shown the media a thing or two.

Theres nothing he can say and trust me if he throws a hissy fit like many a big time player the fans and media will be all over him (See Lebron’s “I spoil people with my play” comment or Iverson’s “Practice speech.” Or better yet the Oklahoma State Coaches “I’M A MAN I’M 40″ speech).

It’s a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. If you ask me it’s tougher to do the right thing and stay classy rather then create an actual media circus.

34. upperdecker19 says: May 18, 2011 6:29 PM

Maybe the new overtime rules were on the wristband? And we all know that he’s an expert in that category.

@”gf2711 says:
    May 18, 2011 4:48 PM
    I’m more interested in Kramer not wearing the ribbon!”

GENIUS!!!! Laughed very loud at the office.

35. billsfan1 says: May 18, 2011 6:42 PM

I wonder how foreskin fans will feel after a season of watching grossman or beck…..perhaps u can make room for Kyle boller or um, well wait, u have chase Daniel…..at least i, as a bills fan, have little expectation….u however, believe that shanny is the messiah….maybe he is, of course he had a HOF QB, HOF caliber rb and wr,and the greatest te in history statistically speaking….well ur almost there

36. athletesfoot101 says: May 18, 2011 6:49 PM

Grossman confirmed it on ESPN 980 today. He refused to wear it.

By the way, who cares?

37. knightringonow says: May 18, 2011 7:45 PM

Don’t puke in the Super Bowl and half of this stuff never comes up. McPukey, indeed.

38. commandercornpone says: May 18, 2011 8:16 PM

and the media covers for him.

but if u are a media guy and say that, u get called a racist or somesuch.

who cares? the media IS covering for him. he must be joe biden’s purported replacement…

39. moochzilla says: May 18, 2011 8:33 PM

Orangejello, you have to see him day in and day out to figure out his act, don’t ya?

Eagles fans do. Now Redskins fans do. Next year another fan base will.

Oh well.

40. blkmanwtan says: May 18, 2011 8:38 PM

McNabb is Peter Griffin.

Both of this guys fail to follow simple directions, and when you tell them to do something, they ask “why”

I believe that being in a new system that having a wrist band would help out and also help the offense flow as a fast past, not at McNabb’s pace. Many times McNabb had to offense running very slow and confused. The reason why McNabb was sacked a lot was because he didn’t know the plays as if he wasn’t prepared.

As a veteran who is playing on his last leg, I am wondering why he didn’t do what was asked for him so that he could still be a starting QB.

My prediction is that McNabb will sign to a new team as a back-up or retire. Coaches get fired when they have a QB who fails to follow instructions, and I don’t beleive many coaches would take that risk.

41. moochzilla says: May 18, 2011 8:43 PM

O-jello,

Never really missed McNabb, kind of like how I never missed Lindros or the other drama queens this town has seen. The kinds of guys I miss are the Iversons of the world. He had many flaws, but what you saw was what you got. That matters to me.

Oh, and you know who I REALLY miss now? Werth. Don’t let our attitude fool you, we know that loss hurt us. But even there, I can’t hold it against the man for taking that sweet cash. But looking at Ben Francisco is killing me.

42. terrellochouno says: May 18, 2011 9:02 PM

Good god, would it kill the guy to say “uh, yeah I did”? Nice a guy as he is, he brings this crap on himself. As if we need any more drama in Washington.

43. whatswiththehate says: May 18, 2011 9:04 PM

geniusesq says:May 18, 2011 4:17 PM

Only you can prevent forest fires McNabb. Grow a pair.
    ——————–
    Nope wrong…It’s because bullies are usually cowards who look for any reason to attack someone they feel they can easily get folks like you paly along with their silly games.

Like who really gives a rats ass whether McNabb wears a wristband or not. This is the third story about it. LIKE WTF…a damn wristband?

Will knowing whether McD wanted to wear the wristband or not get us any closer to solving the lock out issue…Let me see? NO

BTW, I don’t see endless garbage on Peyton Manning, Sam Bradford, or Tom Brady. I guess cause PFT knows their loyal sheeplings only enjoy going after certain players. Regardless of the story.

44. carnagekong says: May 18, 2011 9:31 PM

This is the kind of talk that gets him financial apologies. Can you blame him?

45. 1nas786 says: May 18, 2011 9:45 PM

For you idiots who obviously simply don’t like DMac the hate is what it is,who cares. But to act like he was a bum or something is just moronic. He is the third winningest QB in the league behind you know who. How does that mean nothing? Also, his last year in Philly, the offense he directed set the franchise record for total offense. You idiots take one year of dysfunction with the power crazy Shanahans and all of a sudden he’s washed up. He can’t wait to get to Minny or wherever , anywhere with a running game and some decent receivers and he will win just like he always has.

46. nocryinginbaseball07 says: May 19, 2011 12:46 AM

I agree with moochzilla. Basketball was FUN when Iverson played. He was REAL. Always knew what you were getting, and never made excuses. Practice? You wanna talk about practice??

47. richm2256 says: May 19, 2011 10:26 AM

blaz0037 says:
    We’d be happy to have you in MN Donovan!

His stats have declined, but he is still a proven winner.

1nas786 says:

————————————————-

Guys like you two love to crow about McNabb being the “winningest” this and the “most” that …….. In 12 NFL seasons, the guy has compiled a bunch of stats and been to six Pro Bowls.

He has the third-best winning percentage of any active quarterback, but what has he WON?????

He has exactly one Conference title and been to exactly ONE Super Bowl, which he lost and puked his guts out in.

ONE ……. in TWELVE “winning” seasons.

48. malgorthewarrior says: May 19, 2011 10:38 AM

the standard that PFT deploys all the time is that if someone doesn’t explicitly shoot down a rumor, they must be conceding that it’s true.

i would like to ask everyone who reads this site how that standard makes any damn sense. I will say it’s a hell of a way to fuel a rumor mill and some web hits.

reporter: McNabb, is it true that you often sacrifice infant babies to the pagan god you secretly worship?

McNabb: I’m sorry, that makes no sense, and I wouldn’t discuss my religion privately with you anyway. I’m surprised that is even a rumor you heard.

reporter: A-HA!!!! GOTCHA NOW MCNABB! By saying nothing YOU SAID IT ALL!

i’m on the verge of deleting this site from my news feed. the stories written on hire and the claims asserted insult the intelligence of anyone over five years old.

49. tjrubleysaudible says: May 19, 2011 11:05 AM

I swear I read somewhere that AI has/had a boat named “Milwaukee’s Best”! Too funny.

50. mogogo1 says: May 19, 2011 11:17 AM

Keep your eyes on the real story, PFT: This is all a diversion orchestrated by the Skins to try and get themselves off the hook for signing Donovan McNabb without realizing they were really signing Donovan McNabb.

From the beginning they seemed to expect a totally different type of player than he’d been in his 10+ years in the league. If they’d watched some game film instead of his soup commercials they could have avoided this fiasco.