John Beck, Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman AP

Nothing screams Lockout 2011 more than John Beck and a vaguely depressing quarterback controversy in Washington.

Cindy Boren of the Washington Post has dubbed it Quarterback Controversy Lite, and the various interviews from Beck has helped fuel the fire the last few days.  Rex Grossman, the forgotten man, finally chimed in Wednesday.

“If you ask me, I definitely feel like I’m the starter, but I’m not even signed yet. I’m assuming a lot of things here,” Grossman said on ESPN 980, via Boren.

Grossman called Beck a “great guy” and would expect him to say he’s the starter too.  When asked who should be the starter, Grossman made it clear he expects to be back in Washington.

“I’m not going to say John Beck. I’m going to say me if I’m going to pick somebody. I would like this to be answered by the coaches and decided by competition,” Grossman said.

If the Redskins saw Grossman as the starter, they would be quietly pushing him as the starter through the media like they are with Beck. (Grossman isn’t signed, but that’s largely Shanahan’s choice.  And Alex Smith being un-signed hasn’t stopped the 49ers from calling him the starter.)

The Redskins aren’t pushing Grossman behind the scenes, which is one reason why he’s more likely to Beck’s backup or playing elsewhere.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
45 Responses to “Rex Grossman: “I definitely feel like I’m the starter, but I’m not even signed yet””
  1. vahawker says: May 18, 2011 2:49 PM

Leaders in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes

2. hobartbaker says: May 18, 2011 2:51 PM

Rex doesn’t even look like an NFL QB in shorts.

3. hobartbaker says: May 18, 2011 2:52 PM

Grossman contorted his body painfully at the last moment to make sure he wasn’t left out of the picture.

4. jhorton83 says: May 18, 2011 2:52 PM

5. hobartbaker says: May 18, 2011 2:54 PM

A month ago there was going to be a run on quarterbacks. Now it looks like they’ll be piled up in the remainder bins.

6. ditkastache says: May 18, 2011 2:55 PM

I definitely feel like the CEO, but I haven’t gotten my promotion yet.

7. hobartbaker says: May 18, 2011 3:01 PM

“As they round the clubhouse turn, it looks like “Black And Tan”, by a jaw, with “Mopey Mormon” on the inside. “Wrecks” is stumbling badly on the outside and appears to be well out of the race.”.

8. mvp43 says: May 18, 2011 3:02 PM

OMG…………Rex is hillarious. Yes, he is “assuming a lot of things”…..most notably the fact that he stills believes he is good or was at one time or another.

9. boysroll says: May 18, 2011 3:03 PM

I would like to throw my name into the hat as the starting QB for the 4skins…LMAO.

I am so glad Shanny and co landed with this org. This is so comical and we all know one thing if we do have a season. 4skins have last place secured. LMAO.

10. fthrvic says: May 18, 2011 3:03 PM

“I definitely feel like I’m the starter, but I’m not even signed yet”

…this is an unfinished quote….it should have the concluding statement as well. “…because I’m Rex Grossman.”

11. blackcatnfl says: May 18, 2011 3:03 PM

Rex is wrong. I am the Redskins 2011 Qb starter!

12. shaggytoodle says: May 18, 2011 3:04 PM

He s closer to being a Superbowl QB than Romo is.

13. thereisalwaysnextyear says: May 18, 2011 3:06 PM

“(Grossman isn’t signed, but that’s largely Shanahan’s choice….”

Isn’t the fact that Grossman isn’t signed maybe due to the lockout? Shanny couldn’t sign him if he wanted could he?

14. cutthajokes says: May 18, 2011 3:08 PM

Neither one of these bums will be the starting QB.

15. baddegg says: May 18, 2011 3:08 PM

*slapping forehead with palm*

16. skinsfandcdan83 says: May 18, 2011 3:10 PM

As a Redskins fan im laughing at both of these bums..We still have a weak ass O Line.. Im ready for Andrew luck or Matt Barkley !!!

17. raidersnation84 says: May 18, 2011 3:10 PM

Gross Rexman

18. willycents says: May 18, 2011 3:14 PM

remember, Peyton Manning is a free agent and Snyder has a big deep check book. Think he might out-bid the colts?

seriously, think about it. $100M to Fat Albert, $150M to Manning?

LMAO….been waiting weeks to say that…finally the chance

19. 2mannings1cup says: May 18, 2011 3:22 PM

Rex looks like an unathletic, chubby, disoriented, Tim Tebow.

20. willycents says: May 18, 2011 3:22 PM

ditkastache says:May 18, 2011 2:55 PM

I definitely feel like the CEO, but I haven’t gotten my promotion yet.
    ————————————————-
    I feel like the President of the US, I just haven’t been elected YET and look forward to competition for the job…..LMFAO

21. 1bigtex says: May 18, 2011 3:24 PM

@shaggytoddle

If you actually believe that Sexy Rexy is a better QB than Tony Romo (and you’re not just spouting some fan boy trash), you need to watch more football. On the plus side, with talent evaluation skills like yours, a front office job with the ‘Skins should be in your future. Good luck working for Danny, but take my advice and rent.

22. turgidsen says: May 18, 2011 3:33 PM

boysroll says:
    May 18, 2011 3:03 PM

———————————————————————–

Wow!!!I mean really? Did anyone see this comment coming from boysroll. What type of creative and intelligent mind thinks of things like this to post. I am umm ,truly impressed . He must be a Dallas Cowboy Fan . Let me just say it again , “WOW”!!!

23. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 18, 2011 3:39 PM

I feel like I’m an NFL starter too.

Oh wait, I’m middle aged and haven’t played football since 2nd string in college.

Nevermind

24. schmitty2 says: May 18, 2011 3:47 PM

That is one SAD Qb competition if I’ve ever seen one

25. rcali says: May 18, 2011 3:49 PM

Ouch. Even the Vikings think the ‘skins got QB problems. Pray for a healthy Luck.

26. mikeyz6 says: May 18, 2011 3:53 PM

rex gross… cmon man….. really? your technically not on a team…. in an NFL that doesn’t exist and your competetion is John Beck….

hell i have the same chances of being QB of the redskins

27. volcom2143 says: May 18, 2011 3:58 PM

Hmmm can anyone say last place in the NFC east ???? If that’s the qb battle , I might as well start working out to compete . Both stink and the redskins are a joke . Brings a smile to my face just thinking of all the pick 6s and sacks that they will give up to the eagles next year . Thank god for Danny Snyder and his horrible way of running the team . go birds !!!!!

28. joegibbsisking says: May 18, 2011 4:01 PM

boysroll says:
    May 18, 2011 3:03 PM

———————————————————————–

I bet he could play for the Redskins. Or anything professional football team. He is after all 7 foot 8, 475 lbs and can bench press Albert Haynesworth, remember.

29. minormillikin says: May 18, 2011 4:06 PM

Not one mention of Rex Grossman’s mortal enemy in this article:
    J.P. Losman!

30. geniusesq says: May 18, 2011 4:14 PM

Skins won’t suck bad enough to land Luck. But, Matt Barkley will start over all of these guys next year.

31. kellyb9 says: May 18, 2011 4:14 PM

Realistically, what is he supposed to say, “Starter? Nah I feel like a career backup!” I like the confidence, and honestly wouldn’t mind this guy as a backup for a few games. I look at the backup qb role as a guy who could hold down the fort. Rex can probably do that. That being said, I don’t think he’s taking you to the playoffs.

32. winkeroni says: May 18, 2011 4:33 PM

Something tells me Jeff George will be getting the itch to play football again.

33. oranjellojones says: May 18, 2011 4:34 PM

jhorton83 says: May 18, 2011 2:52 PM

“You have quite the exciting QB battle there, Redskins fans. I’m sure you’re pumped.”

In my best Dangerfield impression: “You have no idea.”

Oh and ya gotta love littleboysroll….all kinds of smack talk about the crappy Redskins and all kinds of talk about how awesome his team is yet they shared the same record and Dallas is supposedly an “elite team”. Hey smokesboyspole…how’d that picking ahead of the Redskins in this years draft feel? At least my team is in rebuilding mode, yours…Hah! Project some more, you have officially taken over the mantle from Vox as PFT kicktoy and village idiot! Be proud little one!

34. hevsharpe1 says: May 18, 2011 4:37 PM

Love it. Redskins don’t even need football to implode.

35. tformation says: May 18, 2011 4:48 PM

Ah, poor Rex. The man who made Kyle Orton look good.

Give up on the starter thing, Rex. Be a back-up. Be the best back-up you can be. Take the Kerry Collins road. He did it well, and if you work hard, you can too.

And above all, stop talking to the media until you actually accomplish something.

36. thephantomstranger says: May 18, 2011 5:05 PM

The Redskins are really regretting that they traded down, thinking they’d be able to draft Christian Ponder. Should have snatched him up when you had the chance!

37. conquerpeace4d says: May 18, 2011 5:06 PM

In other news Rex Grossman also states he feels like an icon and and entertainer.

38. ham1 says: May 18, 2011 5:33 PM

@ orangellojones:
    LMAO that was perfect.

39. joshspangler says: May 18, 2011 5:45 PM

Sir, if you don’t think you can beat out John-freakin-Beck from ‘dont have a girl in ya dorm room university’ —–> you need to hang it up. Just saying.

40. kingbattle says: May 18, 2011 5:52 PM

Two Words…… REX SUCKS…… and i know you’re reading..

41. prmpft says: May 18, 2011 6:08 PM

…which makes you “definitely” look like an IDIOT!!!

42. sambradfordismyhomeboy says: May 18, 2011 6:18 PM

DC… pray for a 16 game LOCK OUT. Sorry Mikey, you don’t have Elway to break your mile high fall this time and I don’t think that Theisman with his glass leg wants to give it another try.

43. blackcatnfl says: May 18, 2011 6:34 PM

One word: Favre

44. souldogdave says: May 18, 2011 7:20 PM

Hey, Rex! I feel like a starter too!

45. shaggytoodle says: May 18, 2011 10:32 PM

1bigtex says:
    May 18, 2011 3:24 PM
    @shaggytoddle

____________________

I have a couple questions for you.

How many Superbowls has Rex Grossman help his team to?

How many NFC Championship games has Romo help his team to?

That being said who would be closer to being a Superbowl QB?

It was a sarcastic comment, but if you would like to take it all personal I would more than happy to point out some facts for you.