With lockout in overdrive, Colts try to sell preseason tickets

nfl_g_lucasoil_stadium_300 Getty Images

Monday’s ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit resulted in a very strong indication that the lockout won’t be lifted.  The Indianapolis Colts have celebrated that development by declaring that preseason tickets are available to be purchased.

And so, as our friends at StampedeBlue.com point out, you can for only $136 buy a ticket to a game that doesn’t count, and that probably won’t even be played.

Then again, when else would you have a chance to see Peyton Manning, you know, stand on the sidelines with his arms crossed?

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
33 Responses to “With lockout in overdrive, Colts try to sell preseason tickets”
  1. moochzilla says: May 18, 2011 8:51 PM

The balls.

The sheer balls.

Oh, and the owners care about you? And the game?

Oh, OK.

2. moochzilla says: May 18, 2011 8:55 PM

Wow, I need a no-interest loan to pay for my Lil Wayne gangsta lifestyle (like most rich white men in their 50′s from trust fund families of Wilmette).

I know, hit up the fans for a game that’ll never happen…I can give back the money if the game (which doesn’t count) never happens with 0% interest!

Because I respect the fans so much!

Signed,

Jimmy Ice

3. geo1113 says: May 18, 2011 9:02 PM

The only thing dumber than offering the tickets would be to actually buy them.

4. kegowhisky says: May 18, 2011 9:05 PM

Sheesh, just how stupid do they think the fans are? There ought to be a law….

5. dolfan8385 says: May 18, 2011 9:05 PM

I know its not going to happen but… I would love if all fans from every team didn’t buy a single ticket this season.

Since owners and players both don’t care about the fans.

I know it won’t happen but I would love to see the look on their faces. Empty seats

6. geo1113 says: May 18, 2011 9:11 PM

Empty seats
    ____________

Why should the lockout season be any different than any other season.

7. smartbutlazy says: May 18, 2011 9:17 PM

Awesome! Hey does anybody here have any beachfront property in Arizona they want to sell me while we are at at?

8. sfviaphilly says: May 18, 2011 9:20 PM

Serious chutzpah Colts. Fortunately for the waterboy he doesn’t work for the Eagles – that kinda thing will get you canned. Refer to ticket taker criticism of not re-signing Dawkins.

9. jo3jo says: May 18, 2011 9:22 PM

In cities where all games including preseason are always sold out, it still might be worth it for a fan to “loan” the team his money for the chance, poor though it is, to actually watch the game from inside the stadium without paying some crazy amount on ebay.

10. 1liondriven says: May 18, 2011 9:24 PM

$ 136.00 for a pre season ticket.

Yep that clinches it, it’s all the players fault…where do I vote.

Frickin Bozos

11. wtfchiefs says: May 18, 2011 9:25 PM

Is this the idea that Irsay and Saturday wrote on a napkin?

12. moochzilla says: May 18, 2011 9:30 PM

$136 isn’t a crazy amount?

Salud, Don Corleone!

13. thereisalwaysnextyear says: May 18, 2011 9:31 PM

Well that sure beats HAVING to buy pre-season tix like the Skins force people to do. You HAVE to buy pre-season with your regular season tix. What a joke.

14. ramsfanjoe says: May 18, 2011 9:33 PM

Jim Irsay can stick his $136.00 tickets in his Hershey Locker!

15. tommyf15 says: May 18, 2011 9:36 PM

wtfchiefs says:
    Is this the idea that Irsay and Saturday wrote on a napkin?

You beat me to it! :)

16. willycents says: May 18, 2011 9:41 PM

just remember….59.6% ($81.06) of that amount goes directly to player salaries. Out of the remaining 40.4%($54.94) all stadium, game day and team operating expenses are paid, with whatever left over goes to debt reduction(if any)and finally, profit for the owner.
    Want cheaper tickets? Think of where the bulk of the money goes from the ticket price and see if you can figure out which expense forces the ticket price up.

17. freedoginit says: May 18, 2011 9:42 PM

soccer, soccer, soccer the real FB….Come on people, its time to move on from allllllllllllllllll this greed going on!

18. istateyourname says: May 18, 2011 9:44 PM

The $9 billion got to come from somewhere, it don’t just fall out of the sky.

19. mikesvikes says: May 18, 2011 9:49 PM

Why don’t you give me all your money we’ll go around back I’ll kick you in the balls and we’ll call it good.

20. mikesvikes says: May 18, 2011 9:51 PM

TRYING IS NOT SUCCEEDING!

21. thetooloftools says: May 18, 2011 10:28 PM

WHAT?

22. igor1984 says: May 18, 2011 10:33 PM

Right now, you can go to various online ticket sites and get seats for $7 … or you can call the Colts and buy the $136 tickets and THEN in a couple months sell them on said sites for $7 (or less … and only then if you’re lucky.)

23. rcali says: May 18, 2011 10:33 PM

U think that is a lot, wait to they over pay for Manning for the end of his career.

24. anelson123 says: May 18, 2011 10:36 PM

The interest off $10 million is easy money regardless of playing the game or not

25. bodeen0 says: May 18, 2011 10:53 PM

thereisalwaysnextyear says:
    May 18, 2011 9:31 PM
    ———————————–
    All teams do it that way. It’s a rip-off!

26. nmking26 says: May 18, 2011 11:02 PM

Clearly the owners are trying to do whats best for the fans and for the game.

Opting out? Check
    Lockout? Check
    Appealing the lifted lockout? Check
    Selling preseason tickets for $100+ during the lockout? Check

Well, these owners have to feed their starving kids somehow.

27. msclemons67 says: May 18, 2011 11:09 PM

Hey now, we’re all forgetting that preseason is pretty much our only chance to watch the immortal Curtis Painter throw interceptions!

That’s gotta be worth $136, right?

28. txhc says: May 18, 2011 11:21 PM

ROFL. Stupid. Nobody in their right mind is going to even think about buying tickets to a preseason game right now. I doubt very many people would even buy regular season games.

Now, on the other hand there are quite a few fans panicking and letting their PSLs go for pretty cheap. I almost bought a couple but I couldn’t bring myself to do it because of the lockout. If the games are played I could probably double or triple my investment the first season, but with the way things are right now with the league and my current employment situation I couldn’t bring myself to risk it.

29. valman61 says: May 18, 2011 11:26 PM

You think you have it bad, I am a fan of the only team willing to defer payment until lockout resolution. So basically when I get the great news of the lockout lifted, my credit card is hit for $5,000. $1,000 of such for yes, preseason tickets. Preseason tickets I give away to people to tour the new stadium. So don’t pay you say? Ok then I forfeit my $15,000 psl. I sure feel bad for these players and owners making millions and billions on my and countless others backs. Poor guys…….

30. db105 says: May 19, 2011 6:44 AM

Hopefully this lockout will last thru the preseason so I get a refund on those worthless games.

31. macbull says: May 19, 2011 7:27 AM

I had to laugh when reading this…who would be foolish enough to pay for “pre season” tickets…”this season”?

…a little humor to start the day is a good thing…mac

32. seatown12 says: May 19, 2011 7:37 AM

Buy tix? Thats the opposite of what i was thinkin…If i have to miss one game….then they’re ALL gettin refunded. Thats how frustrated I am… grown @$$ men bickering like petty little 3rd graders over our money. SICKENING TO WATCH

33. clintonportisheadd says: May 19, 2011 9:14 AM

kegowhisky says: May 18, 2011 9:05 PM

Sheesh, just how stupid do they think the fans are?

—————————–

Judging by the polls here on PFT that overwhelming support the owners (and tactics such as this Colts scam) I think the owners feel the fans are pretty damned stupid. And they are most likely right!