Bobby April envisions Henery leading Eagles in points for 10-15 years

Big 12 Championship - Oklahoma v Nebraska Getty Images

Eagles special teams coordinator Bobby April was careful not to completely close the door on kicker David Akers returning to Philadelphia in recent comments to Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News.

Still, April made it clear how excited he is to work with fourth-round pick Alex Henery when the lockout ends.

“If he ends up being what we think he ends up being, he’ll lead the team in points for 10, 15 years,” April said. “That’s a big weapon, now.”

Translation: Akers is gone, and we’ll get a lower-cost veteran alternative if there are any hiccups with Henery in his rookie season.

April lauded Henery’s toughness and confidence, believing that will help his transition to the NFL.  You just don’t take a kicker that high in the draft unless you believe he’ll be a potential Pro Bowler.

The last kicker to go as high as Henery was New England’s Stephen Gostkowski, and that worked out pretty well.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
21 Responses to “Bobby April envisions Henery leading Eagles in points for 10-15 years”
  1. jw731 says: May 19, 2011 10:46 AM

in other words, he will be cheaper than Akers…..Does any Eagles asst. coach think that any Eagles fan, thinks otherwise?…..No matter how much they try and sell it? Akers reached the Joe Banner Golden years status, just admit it and move on…..

2. geo1113 says: May 19, 2011 10:47 AM

I have enjoyed Akers as an Eagles for many years. Perhaps, it is time for the Eagles to make a change. But Bobby, sometimes it is best to keep your mouth shut.

3. skinsfaninnebraska says: May 19, 2011 10:57 AM

I’m a Husker fan and I watched Henery his whole career at UNL. He’s one of the best kickers to come out of college in a long time.

I was really hoping the Skins would draft him. Philly won’t have to worry about their kicking game for many, many years to come. Too bad! ;-)

4. suhperbowl says: May 19, 2011 10:58 AM

Thanks for reporting what round he was drafted in!

5. hoobsher says: May 19, 2011 11:07 AM

or.

he could turn out the next nick folk.

6. krow101 says: May 19, 2011 11:09 AM

This will definitely mean another Superbowl championship.

7. citizenstrange says: May 19, 2011 11:35 AM

If there is a Training Camp this is what the Eagles should make Henery sing instead of the Nebraska fight song or whatever.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I’m Henery the eighth I am
    Henery the eighth I am, I am
    I got married to the widow next door
    She’s been married seven times before
    And every one was an Henery (Henery)
    She wouldn’t have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)
    I’m her eighth old man, I’m Henery
    Henery the eighth I am

8. cjca84 says: May 19, 2011 11:47 AM

Disregard the financial part of the Eagles, because everyone loves to say they are cheap but you can’t cost a team 5 points in a playoff game during a time when the coach knows his window of oppurtunity is getting shorter and not expect the team to bring in a replacement. Also this isn’t the first time Akers missed on the playoffs, in Arizona he missed a FG and extra point.

9. hobartbaker says: May 19, 2011 11:47 AM

In a world filled with Henrys, Alex is Henery the First.

10. unclehilroy says: May 19, 2011 12:14 PM

Bobby April = The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon v.2

11. EJ says: May 19, 2011 12:43 PM

suhperbowl says:
    May 19, 2011 10:58 AM
    Thanks for reporting what round he was drafted in!

Clear enough?

12. laeaglefan says: May 19, 2011 12:44 PM

My guess is that if Akers had made those two field goals against the Packers in the playoffs, and the Eagles would have won the game, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion now.

13. 2009kenny says: May 19, 2011 1:12 PM

One simple detail escapes posters. Akers was out of contract and declined the offer Eagles made him. He was then tendered and refused to sign it. If you are the Eagles, what are you supposed to do? Wait for FA and end up without a kicker if Akers leaves? No the Eagles FO aren’t the Skins or Dallas, most times they are pro active. I suppose if Henery was drafted in the 6th round then it will be okay. Rubbish, sound decision. Now the wait to see if he, like all other draft picks pan out

14. johnnyoclock says: May 19, 2011 1:17 PM

I actually thought it was a great pick. If you look at the 2 picks before him, Casey Mathews ( a 230lb mlb) and Marsh, a project who will not be a starter at cb, neither one of them will be on the field and were wasted picks. So I have no problem with them taking a kicker because at least he’s apparently good, and, will actually make it on the field.

15. db3300 says: May 19, 2011 1:18 PM

“My guess is that if Akers had made those two field goals against the Packers…”

The word ‘if’ gets used a lot in Philly.

16. eaglesfan290 says: May 19, 2011 2:26 PM

The word “IF” gets used by 31 team fans every year!

17. oldbyrd says: May 19, 2011 2:48 PM

Bobby, you make me laugh. The kid hasn’t kicked one NFL ball yet and, he will be the kicker for the next 15 years. If I were you Id concentrate on special teams which are medicore at best. Perhaps you are in the December of your career. Ackers is still the man. PAY HIM

18. ICDogg says: May 19, 2011 3:18 PM

I’m Henery the Eighth I Am
    Henery the Eighth I Am I Am

19. schmitty2 says: May 19, 2011 3:21 PM

Typical. Guy has been huge for the Eagles for years but he misses 2 FG’s in the playoffs because his mind is on his sick child and bye bye. The team is a joke

20. sasquash20 says: May 19, 2011 6:41 PM

I love this pick. Kid is a flat out stud kicker. If you can call a kicker a stud. Ackers is still one of the best, and always willing to stick a helmet on the ball when he got the chance. Ackers was maybe the best Eagles kicker of alltime, but he has missed some big kicks in the playoffs the last few seasons. He will land a job in about 5 minutes. I also think there may have been some tension between Big Walrus Reid and Ackers. The Walrus said a few things after the season was over that Ackers may have taken to heart. I thought it was classless on the Walrus to say anything, when you consider how good Ackers has been for us over the years and what he was going through. I wish Ackers the best, I hope his little girl and family find happiness and good health. He was a CLASS ACT HIS WHOLE TIME IN PHILLY.

21. xxakshunxx says: May 19, 2011 9:59 PM

@ sasquash20…

for someone calling Reid a Walrus because of his weight, I guess we should call you a hillbilly for your spelling.. its A-K-E-R-S