Bart Scott thinks the NFL is “on the verge of insanity”

Scott_Bart

Jets linebacker Bart Scott is often outlandish in his public comments, but give him credit for getting it exactly right in his comments on the lockout Thursday, noting that the NFL had a great thing going in 2010 and that the lockout is seriously jeopardizing whether the league can keep that great thing going much longer.

“We’re bordering now on the verge of insanity,” Scott told ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio, via the New York Daily News. “Fans don’t want to hear about lockout. They don’t want to hear about people arguing over $9 billion. They want the bottom line. Because at the end of the day, these guys are saving up throughout the entire year to come out and spend their hard earned money to see football. And we’re telling them that they can spend their hard earned money but we’re not playing until we figure it out.”

Scott said Patriots owner Robert Kraft got it exactly right when he said the players and the owners are both risking alienating the fans.

“I don’t agree with the Patriots on a lot of things, but I agree with him that we’re really on the verge of irritating our fan base and damaging the fabric of the game,” Scott said.

In labeling the league as on the verge of insanity, Scott said one of the most sane things we’ve heard about the lockout.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Bart Scott thinks the NFL is “on the verge of insanity””
  1. MichaelEdits says: May 20, 2011 6:39 AM

I can’t image the Rapture tagging anybody in the NFL except Mike Singletary and Tim Tebow.

So it’s gonna tip over into full-blown insanity, is it? Can’t wait.

2. jasnite says: May 20, 2011 6:46 AM

The league and the players on the verge of insanity……”Can’t Wait”….

3. norfva says: May 20, 2011 6:53 AM

Well Bart welcome to the insanity.

4. boblavoie says: May 20, 2011 6:58 AM

The NFL has always been on the verge of insanity that is why we crazy fans love it.
    So I would say the current situation is on the verge of stupidity. No one likes stupidity as we have to deal with this concept on a daily basis; in our present social, political and economic condition. This why we need our football.
    Again, I will say Kraft in right, no Patriot fan, like myself, should feel the way I do right now. But I’m beginning to say “f–it. I don’t need anymore stupidity, got enough already.
    Go Red Sox – six in a row!

5. bhindenemylines says: May 20, 2011 7:00 AM

Sounds like a smart man.

Maybe he and Mara or another level headed owner can lock themselves in a room for a few days and get something hammered out to end this insanity.

Don’t see it happening though. Makes too much sense.

6. dewiseman says: May 20, 2011 7:00 AM

Here’s the problem: dsmith. With him, it’s not a matter of an old fashioned money grab — one group taking from another. If he thought that way, it would have been settled by now. No, he sees it (at least in his public statements) as a battle of right (the players) versus wrong (the owners). In his eyes, they’re evil, he’s good. But how do you compromise with the devil? You don’t. You defeat him. So, this fracas will drag out until he either bleeds the owners into submission, or the players stage a revolt. Holy wars have a way of never seeming to end. Don’t look for football until November.

The one possiblity is that he really doesn’t mean what he says publicly, that he’s only doing it to motivate the players. Maybe. But if that’s so, it says a lot about his how he views them: children who need to be manipulated in order to behave. Pretty sad.

7. krow101 says: May 20, 2011 7:01 AM

This is one of the few intelligent statements I’ve heard a player make. Props to Bart.

8. ehatem says: May 20, 2011 7:05 AM

If the lawyers spent half as much time talking to each other as they do talking to us, this thing would have been done and over with a couple of months ago. There’s a line from Big Jake that comes to mind. “Your fault, my fault, nobodies fault. Doesn’t matter.” That’s where we are now. Figure it out. Fix it. Play freaking football. We don’t care whose fault it is. We won’t buy tickets and we won’t be buying your jerseys if there isn’t football.

9. ledtear says: May 20, 2011 7:06 AM

lol – on the verge of alienating fans, huh?

That is why this debacle will continue – they do not realize the damage they have already done… they alwasy think they are on the verge of it…

Games will be lost guaranteed (unless players cave) – the owners leverage does not kick in till then…. You can already getting a sense of the players desparation – they will crack…

10. icematrix69 says: May 20, 2011 7:06 AM

I can honestly say that this has dragged on to the point that I really don’t care if they play ball or not!

I have been a lifelong Steelers fan, however, all this nonsense is making me re-evaluate whether or not I want to support a money hungry organization like the NFL.

If this lockout has shown me anything about the NFL, it’s the pure fact that the fans mean very little as long as the money continues to flow……….

11. chapnastier says: May 20, 2011 7:15 AM

Well part you should include your fearless leader as being over the edge of insanity. Maybe if you guys dump him, re-certify and bring in a former player who actually knows something about the game, we could get a deal done.

12. jc1958cool says: May 20, 2011 7:18 AM

it’s true but neither side will budge,why?
    it’s more of a win game now then, get a fair deal!

13. sneaky1632 says: May 20, 2011 7:29 AM

Thanks again, captain obvious.

14. jsin001 says: May 20, 2011 7:37 AM

MLB 1994. Learn from the past. I’m already on the bubble. Oh well I switched to football in 94….swaying back to the sorry cubs in 2011.
    Good Job you greedy sobs, kill something good. Take some of that extra money and cut ticket and concession prices, oh yeah that’s right….who cares about the guys really paying both sides of this lockout….f’em lose your fanbase, go the way of the expos.

15. rajbais says: May 20, 2011 7:37 AM

Bart Scott is the man of reason!!!!!!!!!!

16. CKL says: May 20, 2011 7:41 AM

Yeah it’s the “verge of insanity “alright…a Jet agreeing with anyone from the Pats on anything?? :D

I am not sure a majority of players are really on board with the whole lawsuit train De has going. I read an interview with DeMarcus Ware last night in which he talks aboutthe sides sitting down and agreeing to a new CBA , making a deal etc. Nothing even close to “Whooo yeah…let’s keep suing!!!”

17. renaissanceman87 says: May 20, 2011 7:50 AM

You wanna get nuts! Let’s get nuts!!

18. 2009kenny says: May 20, 2011 7:57 AM

Dewiseman captured my feelings about De Smith. If he truly believes what he says publicly, then we have no chance. He sees it as a right or wrong situation and in that case, you don’t negotiate, you fight for what you believe to be right, no compromise there. On the other hand, I have been made to understand he’s a smart man so perhaps all this grandstanding is PR for the players so they believe they are winning. If that is the case then it doesn’t say much about the players

19. karlpilkington says: May 20, 2011 8:01 AM

Ummmm, isnt Bart part of the insanity and the alienating of fans, along with every other member of every other team, and Jerry Jones too.

20. richm2256 says: May 20, 2011 8:11 AM

No way did an idiot like Bart Scott just say something as insightful as “we’re really on the verge of ….. damaging the fabric of the game”.

Next thing you know, the Fat Man will be saying “I don’t honestly know if we really have the talent to win the Super Bowl”.

21. exboomer says: May 20, 2011 8:18 AM

It’s to late. A lot of fans are already alienated and the number will only increase the longer this drags on.

22. Patriot42 says: May 20, 2011 8:20 AM

When will it reach a point where fans or ex-fans begin to care less what happens? It could have reached that point with many as the super rich can’t divide up billions when many are just worrying about a job.

23. kevinfromphilly says: May 20, 2011 8:22 AM

On the edge? I’d say they passed that about two months ago.

24. brutus9448 says: May 20, 2011 8:22 AM

As Gordon Geco once said “Greed is good. “

25. zoxitic says: May 20, 2011 8:25 AM

Attn players: I am on your side, but realize the situation. The owners will win, period. Get the best deal you can get done now and start getting paid again.

26. puregreed says: May 20, 2011 8:25 AM

Anyone that spends money on the NFL this year is on the verge of insanity.
    Spend your money on your family, put some money into some new investments, save for a rental property, better yourself.
    Don’t work so others can sit on their ass, work to sit on your own.

27. hollymolley says: May 20, 2011 8:28 AM

A fact of interest. On Thursday 05/19/11, at State Collage in Pa. Coach Joe paterno, (in an interview with small local newspaper), stated that Penn State would NOT be playing on Sundays at Three Rivers Stadium, but Pitt and West Virginia “are free to do what they want to” . Soooo who asked them to and why were they asked.?

28. packeye says: May 20, 2011 8:47 AM

As one of the millions of diehard fans, I think I speak for a lot of us. The offseason/preseason isnt too hard to get by without. Now when we start missing regular season games, thats when it’s going to hit the fan!

29. GG Eden says: May 20, 2011 8:51 AM

The mediators should be Bart Scott and Dan Orlovsky. Orlovsky will hit them psychologically, have everyone humbled, remorseful, and ready to fix their errors. And then Scott can pick up any dissidents and throw them out the window.

30. fltharley says: May 20, 2011 8:51 AM

he is right the league is ran by the most insane p.o.s. commissioner roger goodell, this peice of c__p wants to take hits out of the game, not for the safety of the players but he will stop at nothing to get a 18 game schedule so the owners can get a bigger contract with tv. what goodell dosnt understand is fans of football dont want a glorified two hand touch league. ive got rid of my season tickets and i know longer watch the nfl channel nor will i support or spend another dime on this cr_p until goodell is fired and the owners wake up

31. kellyb9 says: May 20, 2011 8:54 AM

Everything that Bart Scott said is true except for that I’m going to spend my “hard earned money” on football without a game being played. I refuse to… I can watch college/UFL/NHL/NBA. There’s a lot of other sports I can invest in.

32. clintonportisheadd says: May 20, 2011 8:59 AM

The verge of insanity?

You mean like the Colts marketing and advertising pre season tickets at $136.00 a pop for games everyone knows will never be played?

33. firethorn1001 says: May 20, 2011 9:03 AM

‘You wanna get nuts! Let’s get nuts!!’

Serenity now.. insanity later.

34. PFTiswhatitis says: May 20, 2011 9:05 AM

Who woulda thunk? Such clarity from BART SCOTT!

35. bangyourhead4 says: May 20, 2011 9:12 AM

NFL = No Fan Loyalty

36. batfreight says: May 20, 2011 9:35 AM

If Bart Scott voted for De Smith to be head of the NFLPA, then he helped to set the insanity in motion.

37. vahawker says: May 20, 2011 10:24 AM

MichaelEdits says: May 20, 2011 6:39 AM

So it’s gonna tip over into full-blown insanity, is it? Can’t wait

Soooooo, you planning on being around to witness it?

38. bhindenemylines says: May 20, 2011 10:34 AM

brutus9448 says:
    May 20, 2011 8:22 AM
    As Gordon Geco once said “Greed is good. “

Yeah, and then he went to jail for 20 years. What does that tell you?

And I don’t care about what he did in the sequel. The fat is he got 20 years.

39. goawayeverybody says: May 20, 2011 10:36 AM

This is all the owners’ fault, no matter how hard the right-wing blowhards want it not to be true.

40. packerrube13 says: May 20, 2011 10:39 AM

Wow, the world really must be ending tomorrow.

I think Hell got a whole heck of a lot colder too, because Bart Scott just said something intelligent.

41. bhindenemylines says: May 20, 2011 10:41 AM

The legal system in the US is not about right or wrong, fact or fiction. Its about outlasting the opponent and/or figuring what the break even point (the point at where your legal expenditures total more than you can gain from winning the case) and trying to get a favorable decision before you reach that point.

I work in the legal dept of one of the largest banks in the country and I deal with it everyday. In most cases, the bank is “right”, but the other side threatens to drag out the case as long as possible to bleed as much money out of the bank as possible. So what happens? The bank settles to save money.

Doesn’t matter who is right or wrong, players or owners. The only way this is going to get settled is when one side decides they are getting close to the break even point and caves.

It ain’t right, but that’s the way it is.

42. deadeye says: May 20, 2011 10:55 AM

Of course the owners locking out the players is insane, but the players attempting to force a CBA the owners don’t want through litigation is perfectly rational.

43. miket0823 says: May 20, 2011 11:12 AM

Troy Vincent > D. Smith

44. vetdana says: May 20, 2011 11:12 AM

45. thewhitestguyhere says: May 20, 2011 11:22 AM

college football is looking pretty good right now. i have no problem shifting my time and interest….oh and dont forget money into a football game that is just as exciting, but isnt full off money hungry douches. as a union worker myself, id like to hear a lot more about taking care of the retired players health, not about the 9 billion dollars

46. crubenst says: May 20, 2011 11:25 AM

He’s only half right. He and other players also need to come out and say “so we must start to negotiate with the league for a new deal ASAP. And if my representation (D. Smith) won’t do that for me than I need to press for new representation.”

47. pilonflats says: May 20, 2011 11:33 AM

FINALLY – a player that sounds like he truly gets it – not just saying what his agent tells him

48. ernestbynershands says: May 20, 2011 11:56 AM

N.F.L.= No Fans Left.

49. latrobe21 says: May 20, 2011 12:26 PM

Why is everyone so excited or “put out?” You haven’t missed anything, yet – no summer camp, no preseason games, nothing !

50. icematrix69 says: May 20, 2011 12:42 PM

“Myself & my family have been an NFL supporter since 1956 & we are COMPLETELY fed up with this Greed !! The fact that that both sides can willfully turn their backsides on the loyal fans who have sacrificed so much to support them over the years, infuriates me to the point of total disgust ! I wont support them anymore ! I dont even want to look at them !!Total Apathy !! There are a great number of fans who think like me & the number GROWS Dailey !”

AMEN to that!!! I have turned my attention to Baseball and am seriously considering cleaning house with all my Steelers memorabilia. Maybe I can make some money off the money grubbers when I sell it all………

51. steelerskicktheravens says: May 20, 2011 12:58 PM

especially with rex.

52. broncsfan72 says: May 20, 2011 2:11 PM

i agree. it is insane. i could never turn my back on football though or the nfl. i just want them to get the deal done or saturday will be our new sunday next year.