Vikings players will have lockout camp in Tampa

2011 NFL Scouting Combine - Day 2 Getty Images

As the lockout lingers, more and more players from more and more teams are looking for ways to get back to football.  For the Vikings, some players will be getting together soon to work out, but the workouts won’t be happening anywhere close to Minnesota.

Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.com reports that players will get together beginning on May 30 in Tampa.

Leading the charge are first-round quarterback Christian Ponder and an unlikely candidate — sixth-round rookie safety Mistral Raymond, who played at USF.

“I talked to my coaching staff and everything,” Raymond said.  “They said it’s perfectly fine with them.  So, if Christian [Ponder] gets this stuff together, we’ll have the opportunity to get some of the Vikings’ skill players down here right on campus at USF.”

Though the value of the workouts remains unclear, if nothing else the practice enhances relationships and builds camaraderie.  And for teams with new coaches and coordinators and quarterbacks, the more that the players can accomplish on their own, the better.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Vikings players will have lockout camp in Tampa”
  1. litterofcola says: May 20, 2011 7:52 PM

If Ponder can get Peterson, Harvin, and Rice down there, It might actually be worthwhile.Nice to see the rookie taking charge.

2. supersuckers3 says: May 20, 2011 8:48 PM

litterofcola says:
    May 20, 2011 7:52 PM

—–

Listen SuperTrooper, spell Liter right first off. I realize you are a Viking fan and the metric system makes you crap yourself but don’t butcher a clever name by spelling it wrong. Minnesota needs structured workouts. They are installing a new offense. The longer this lockout goes on the longer teams like Minnesota are going to stink.

3. dogsweat1 says: May 20, 2011 9:12 PM

Camp in Oxnard is open….

4. vikefan says: May 20, 2011 9:21 PM

Would it not be anymore than punt, pass, & kick practice unless some are serious enuff to use a playbook? Team camradarie is great, but timimg & perfecting plays by coaches win football games. Hope there is not any injuries out of this. I understand players are gettinug bored, but isnt any kind of practice with possibility of getting injured taking a really big risk, especially with no insurance or paycheck?

5. coleman121280 says: May 20, 2011 9:23 PM

Ponder will be the best QB in the 2011 draft and year 1 will prove it. Unlike Stafford in Detroit he isn’t a china doll and plays through pain and knows how to play this game. W/ the talent all around him consisting of Sidney Rice who is the 2nd best “JUMP AND GO GET IT” WR in the game next to Fitz, the best RB in the NFL and the most dangerous 2 TE set in the league, Ponder will put the “draft experts” in their place. Did I mention Percy Harvin?

6. richm2256 says: May 20, 2011 9:30 PM

“I talked to my coaching staff and everything,” Raymond said. “They said it’s perfectly fine with them.”

Can he DO that, legally?

7. literofcola says: May 20, 2011 9:48 PM

supersuckers3, thanks for pointing out my typo.

8. dbellina says: May 20, 2011 9:55 PM

“Macho Man” Randy Savage died in Tampa last night :,(

9. FinFan68 says: May 20, 2011 10:01 PM

richm2256 says:
    May 20, 2011 9:30 PM

Can he DO that, legally?
    ———————-
    Why wouldn’t he be able to talk to the USF coaching staff?

10. supersuckers3 says: May 20, 2011 10:29 PM

“I JUST HOPE BERNARD BERRIAN DOESN’T SHOW UP….WHAT A BUST AND A NON TEAM PLAYER….BB WAS THE BIGGEST FREE AGENT FLOP THE VIKINGS HAVE EVER ACQUIRED!!!”
    ————–

When will you Viking clowns learn that free agency DOES NOT WORK with VERY few exceptions?

11. coleman121280 says: May 20, 2011 10:43 PM

======================================

The same time you learn to piece together a sentence correctly…

GABRONI

12. wtfru2 says: May 20, 2011 11:30 PM

Why is it the trolls always show up on the Viking articles? They don’t have a lot to add to the blog but they sure can spell.

I don’t know how they were raised but my mother always said “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

I know it sounds hokey but a lot of the blog commentators could sure learn that lesson….

13. sethb222 says: May 20, 2011 11:58 PM

Sounds like a perfect place for Jared Allen and his drinking and driving woes to be…just saying

14. goombar2 says: May 21, 2011 2:39 AM

If we can’t say anything “bad” what would we talk about in terms of the vikings? Heck, look at the headlines for the last week with the vikings… Should PFT not run any news on the vikes, because near all of it could be considered bad or making fun of the vikes.

I say, as long as one speaks the truth, let the chips fall where they may… And the vikes could use all the practice they can get. Is that too mean?

15. supersuckers3 says: May 21, 2011 6:06 AM

“The same time you learn to piece together a sentence correctly…”

—————–

That very well could be never. Are you comfortable with that? Cuz I am.

16. ernieernie says: May 21, 2011 10:04 AM

I wonder if Travaris will be there leading the charge. This guy has to be scractching his head wondering what the heck is going on with me?