Vilma: Watching Packers raise banner will be humbling

J. Vilma AP

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma told Florio on PFT Live Friday that he’s confident the lockout will end in time for Vilma to show up at Lambeau Field on Thursday, September 8th to kick off the NFL season.

We appreciate the optimism, not to mention the approach Vilma will take against the defending world champions.

“You know what? It’s a good refresher for us to know what we’re working for. It’ll actually be humbling in my opinion to be on someone else’s turf after being literally a year removed from winning it all,” Vilma said.

For the entire interview, head to the PFT Live homepage or download it as a podcast on iTunes.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Vilma: Watching Packers raise banner will be humbling”
  1. emoney826 says: May 20, 2011 7:55 PM

Whatever it takes to deal with your first loss of the season.

2. BlackAndGoldAllDay says: May 20, 2011 8:06 PM

Vilma’s a class act. Hopefully that Packers/Saints game does indeed take place as planned.

3. billsfan1 says: May 20, 2011 8:31 PM

Tackle marshawn lynch and maybe ur not being humbled….that being said I still can’t believe the jets got rid if this guy…..I m glad we dont face the jets now with him….he makes plays…..Vernon gholston and bart Scott? Not so much

4. 504in860 says: May 20, 2011 8:58 PM

Bills fan huh? Too easy…

5. sfsaintsfan says: May 20, 2011 9:49 PM

I sure hope this game takes place when it is scheduled. I would hate to see the NFL reschedule the week 1 games for the first week after the regular season is scheduled to end. That would mean a frozen football field in January.

I know the Green Bay fans think they will repeat, so did most Saints fans last year. (I just hope it is not the Cowboys….) Would be nice to see a game on opening day Thursday so that something could be settled. The winner of this game, should it occur will have an early advantage on the #1 seed in the NFC.

I still don’t think there will be regular season NFL football until mid-October at the earliest. Figure a 10 game season or no season at all.

6. denverhighrize says: May 20, 2011 10:36 PM

Vilma matters? Anyway wasn’t it humbling enough to lose in the first round?

7. rayjayjohnsonjr says: May 20, 2011 10:43 PM

Go, Packers!

8. denverhighrize says: May 20, 2011 10:46 PM

sorry to re-post but if Vilma talks and no reporters are around does he make a sound?

9. indycolt45 says: May 20, 2011 11:12 PM

10. imjinbrdgr says: May 20, 2011 11:13 PM

I’ve been through this contract mess before. This defiantly has the feel of a shortened season. I think De Smith is a disaster and you’ve got owners like Jerry Jones who has already figured out how much further ahead he can be for each game lost versus how much extra he’ll make with the better contract. Guys like him don’t give a crap about the fans or the game or the league. It’s $$$ that’s all they care about. I hear all these people chime in about how confident they are that no games will be lost. Well I heard the same thing in 82 and 87. How I’d love to see my Packers hoist that Banner and stomp the Saints I strongly doubt it will happen on schedule. Which really really sucks!!!

11. 504in860 says: May 20, 2011 11:47 PM

Packers won’t “stomp” the Saints…trust me.

12. billsfan1 says: May 21, 2011 1:02 AM

I’ve actually acknowledged on many posts that my team sucks…..so therefore that gives me free reign to criticize any team besides what did I say that wasn’t true or complimentary? Oh wait, too easy is in reference to ur wife…..Gotcha…

13. saintsfan1111 says: May 21, 2011 5:30 AM

> Tackle marshawn lynch

I give lynch credit for that run. He didn’t fumble, fall on his ass, or was entirely lazy bust that he is. Of course the saints were trying to strip the ball, but whatever.

14. saintsfan1111 says: May 21, 2011 5:31 AM

> Actually, Vilma, you’re literally TWO years removed from winning it all. But who’s being literal?

Good that your keeping score Indy. Glad you remember who kicked your ass.

15. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: May 21, 2011 6:37 AM

This just screams for an Onion style headline.

“Man who previously wins Super Bowl, but did not win most recent Super Bowl, realizes it is very hard to win Super Bowl.”

Yes, Jon Vilma, it is hard to win the Super Bowl and you should be humbled… just like every NFL player who has even won one in the past and never made it back to play in the big game again. This is not a news-worthy comment. This is a cliche.

16. packattack1967 says: May 21, 2011 8:45 AM

Get Used To It People.

17. 504in860 says: May 21, 2011 9:34 AM

billsfan1 says: May 21, 2011 1:02 AM

————————————————

What’s next…a mom joke?

18. ilpackerbacker says: May 21, 2011 9:36 AM

Um, Jonathan – this is the NFL, not the NBA or NHL. Since when are “banners raised” in an NFL stadium, especially one that has no roof? The only thing he will see, is 2010 added to the other 12 years that they won world titles.

Sorry, pervy and tedsheckler – no one cares what you think about 1929 – they count, f’n deal with it, LOL.

19. ernieernie says: May 21, 2011 10:00 AM

Vilma as least understands why their on the field and the ultimate goal. When I hear about a Reggie Bush not wanting to practice if he isn’t getting paid I have to think he’s another me, me, me player.

20. henrypuppyhead says: May 21, 2011 10:08 AM

504in860 says: May 20, 2011 11:47 PM

Packers won’t “stomp” the Saints…trust me.

———

Cliche alert.

“That’s why they play the game”. Or make stupid predictions by playing Madden.

21. gbfanforever says: May 21, 2011 10:17 AM

I would have thought he’d be more humbled by the fact that they were beaten in the post season by arguably the worst playoff team in league history or even more humbled being part of the defense that gave up the crucial TD run in that game in which they blew 7 or 8 tackles.

22. 504in860 says: May 21, 2011 10:54 AM

No…more like they’re 2 evenly matched teams…and Sean Payton’s Saints play well in primetime…and he’s 2-0 vs McCarthy.

23. Little Earthquake says: May 21, 2011 11:06 AM

Now that Rodgers has won a Super Bowl he can start improving his record in games decided by 3 points or fewer or whatever it was that people were so hysterical about last year. The Pack can let the Saints hang around and beat them by three in the last minute.

24. gregjennings85 says: May 23, 2011 11:05 AM