Wes Welker disappointed owners used joke against him

Wes Welker AP

Wes Welker has learned a lesson well known to bloggers or fans of Twitter: Sarcasm doesn’t always translate in print.

Welker said he was joking when he told the Associated Press, “Let’s do a lockout every year.”

“I said that as a joke and yet they use it in the court of law,” Welker told WAAF, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “It was a little bit disappointing. It’s kind of discouraging they would actually use that in the court of law, and you have to see it everywhere and things like that.

“Shoot, I guess the gloves are off, and they’re going after everything,” Welker said, laughing. “You have to really watch what you say, whether you’re joking or not.”

As someone that uses sarcasm as the primary method to interact with other humans, I feel Welker’s pain.  But the reality is that plenty of players do like the lockout, even if most are careful not to say it publicly.

Most, not all.

Lions receivers Nate Burleson and Calvin Johnson both admitted this week they are enjoying time away from the team.  Welker, on the other hand, sounds like he’s getting frustrated.

“I’m a fan myself. Even looking at it [like that], it almost seems stupid. I know fans sit there and it’s billionaires and millionaires … fighting over money; I don’t think the average fan wants to sit there and hear about that,” Welker said. “I know I don’t and I’m part of the situation.”

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Union
33 Responses to “Wes Welker disappointed owners used joke against him”
  1. tombradyhonorsociety says: May 20, 2011 4:23 PM

Growing up in the Belichick way, Wes should know…KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

2. Kave Krew says: May 20, 2011 4:28 PM

Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick………….it’s a matter of time before it goes off……

3. universalcynic says: May 20, 2011 4:28 PM

“As someone that uses sarcasm as the primary method to interact with other humans, I feel Welker’s pain.” – GR

Uh, yeah…yours is the bad kinda sarcasm. Wes is actually funny.

4. marvsleezy says: May 20, 2011 4:30 PM

Why does it matter what the fans think? What if the fans were completely against the players?

What does that change? We cant put pressure on the players -

WE, AS FANS, HAVE NO POWER. IF WE DID, WE COULD HAVE FORCED A RESOLUTION ALREADY

5. nfldeboteco says: May 20, 2011 4:39 PM

Oooo another heart broken, go meet Ochcocino, grab some beers, and borrow eachother’s shoulder!

6. benh999 says: May 20, 2011 4:42 PM

I always figured it was chat roulette.

7. snnyjcbs says: May 20, 2011 4:48 PM

The Players Love it and are the ones that pushed the Lockout by disbanding the Union and Filing against the NFL in a Court of Law, it is the Owners that filed a Response. These Greedy Players do not want a new deal that is fair, they want to put an end to the NFL as we have known it with the use of the Court, no Draft, No Tags, a Free for All.

All you mediocre players better watch your step, your Rich Boy Players get their way there will be no cap minimum or salary minimum, you could find yourself working for PEANUTS. I hope the owners bury these Greedy Players and I hope the Court grants the NFL’s Request to put off the June 3rd Hearing until early July, the Players can really enjoy themselves with even more time off.

8. thetooloftools says: May 20, 2011 5:06 PM

I don’t get it…. the owners know this web site is a joke but yet they take Welker literally ?

9. Southpaw says: May 20, 2011 5:17 PM

Just the same way as telling someone “I’m going to kill you” as a hollow threat, will get you life in prison if that person ends up dead the next day with that in their cell phone.

Like I’ve said in other threads, it’s stupid for players to not be taking this seriously, which ticks me off when players like Welker want to joke about that, or when players like Pitts wants to make prank call videos – grow up, you’re in the thick of negotiating billions of dollars in the biggest entertainment business in the country… this isn’t exactly the time to try to make a YouTube sensation or get a few re-tweets.

10. bcgreg says: May 20, 2011 5:19 PM

@ marvsleezy

The fans DO have power. Don’t buy tickets. Don’t buy merchandise. Don’t buy the NFL season package on tv. Don’t watch it. Advertisers and sponsers won’t pay for the NFL if no one buys the product. If fans did this for one year, watch the prices drop. Problem is is that it would never happen. But, to say fans have NO say is wrong.

It’s like any other product. If no one buys it, it will adjust the pricing or go away altogether.

11. semperfi24 says: May 20, 2011 5:38 PM

bcgreg says:May 20, 2011 5:19 PM

@ marvsleezy

_______________________________

Exxon/Mobil disagrees with you, lol

12. descendency says: May 20, 2011 5:49 PM

I guess Rex Ryan would say he stuck his foot in his mouth. . . yeah!

“This sentence is false.”

13. jackfnburton says: May 20, 2011 5:58 PM

@ marvsleezy

——————————————-

Right. Every NFL fan should boycott. Don’t buy anything. Burn your season tickets. Smash your television. That’ll show em.

That’s a fantasy. It sounds lovely to say but it’s never going to happen. So, using a completely fictional set of circumstances to prove your point probably makes you feel better, but it doesn’t make your point. Besides, right not there isn’t anything to boycott. You can’t boycott something that isn’t happening in the first place, and the moment this is over, angry fans will forget all about it and glue themselves back to their television sets every week.

No, there is nothing we can do.

14. jackfnburton says: May 20, 2011 6:01 PM

Oh and BTW, the vast majority of NFL players are NOT millionaires. It’s good pay, but when 90 odd percent of these guys retire they’ll get a job, like you and me. And when they start missing paychecks soon, it’s going to hurt. That’s the sad thing about this, and that’s what the owners – who really ARE all wealthy – are counting on.

15. johnnyoclock says: May 20, 2011 6:03 PM

Ahhh yes, the old “persecuted saint”. As if if the owners did something like that, he wouldn’t jump all over it. I love how when people suddenly have different standards when something falls back on them. If the owners did something like that he’d probably be 2nd in line complaining. Put a sock in it, Wes.

16. commandercornpone says: May 20, 2011 6:25 PM

the owners have competent people tracking what the players (read: welker) say. the players have a dumba$$ lawya out in front just talking trash.

17. benh999 says: May 20, 2011 6:28 PM

@jackfnburton,
    Similarly, not that many owners are the stereotypical super rich fat cats (only Paul Allen, Woody Johnson, and Stephen Ross come to mind). I would bet for most of them, the team they own is by far their most valuable asset. Taking into account stadium mortgages and other liabilities, are they even that valuable?

Supposedly, the Redskins are the most valuable franchise at around $1b, and I think the least valuable was the Bills at around $500m. Assuming the mean team value is $750m, the league itself is worth $24b. So, if we compare this to some tech start-up like Facebook, the NFL is worth less, but takes much better care of its employees (players anyway) in terms of benefits and compensation even though there are more of them.

All of us should be so lucky as to have things as bad as an NFL player.

18. turk2875 says: May 20, 2011 6:31 PM

Is it me or is this guy a Jackass???

19. jpmelon says: May 20, 2011 6:43 PM

@ jackfnburton

The players took an offer from the owners and walked away with no counteroffer. The only players I sympathize with are the ones who don’t approve of DeMaurice Smith representing them.

I doubt it is very many since the Brady class-action lawsuit asked for D. Smith’s guidance even after the decertification.

To comment on this article……Welker, learn to keep your mouth shut. As long as you have enemies (the owners in this legal battle), they will use everything they have at their disposal to gain leverage.

20. Deb says: May 20, 2011 6:43 PM

I like Welker, but he and other players have been pretty naive about this.

We’re in the middle of the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. People who can’t afford dinner don’t have patience with millionaires and billionaires fighting over dessert. The players ought to complain about being locked out of their workplace. Instead, they’re cheering extra time off.

If they’re stupid enough to load the gun, aim at their foot, and hand it over to their opponent, they shouldn’t blame the owners for pulling the trigger.

21. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: May 20, 2011 7:25 PM

marvsleezy says:
    May 20, 2011 4:30 PM

What does that change? We cant put pressure on the players -

OH YES YOU DO!! Don’t buy season tickets or any tickets, don’t purchase any NFL licensed apparel or goods, if you work for a company that buys season tix, convince them to spend their entertainment dollars elsewhere, cancel your Sunday Ticket subscriptions, and most of all, stop buying all products that advertise during football games. And then tell those companies why you’re not buying their product!!!

When the fans, en masse, realize how much power they have in this situation, watch how damn fast those a$$e$ sit down and talk!!!!

22. cylondetector says: May 20, 2011 7:27 PM

Turk2875,

Its you.

You are the jackass.

23. grogansheroes says: May 20, 2011 7:30 PM

turk2875 says:
    May 20, 2011 6:31 PM
    Is it me or is this guy a Jackass???

————————————
    Yes, it is just you.

24. vahawker says: May 20, 2011 8:17 PM

*********************************************

Crazy thought, why not become part of the solution and rally the players to fire DeIdiot then work out a new CBA?

25. dreadpiratesteve says: May 20, 2011 9:15 PM

Every day the lockout drags on these idiots get closer to losing me forever.

26. jbaxt says: May 20, 2011 9:29 PM

The owners don’t need gloves or fists, players are train wrecks that we all witness every day.

I can’t wait until the bottom 85% of the players (aka 85% of the starters) don’t get a paycheck in September. The players will fold like the cheap tent they have in Duh Smith.

27. j0esixpack says: May 20, 2011 9:30 PM

Welker might have been joking but I think everyone – the players, the owners, the fans, and the courts – recognize he was also telling the truth.

Most players – the ones with established jobs and contracts that will see them get paid the same amount if the lockout ends on June 1st or September 1st would prefer NOT to endure hot months of OTAs and training camp.

Does anyone blame them? If my boss locks me out of the office until September but I still get a full year story, I’m cool with that too.

28. Spencer says: May 20, 2011 10:13 PM

I see he still hasn’t learned to stop running his mouth.

29. bigbeefyd says: May 20, 2011 10:45 PM

It’s better to keep one’s mouth shut and appear a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

30. som1com says: May 20, 2011 11:05 PM

Fans do have power, you can exercise your power with your wallet. Too bad more fans won’t stick together and do this.

I know that I am probably in the minority, but I used to watch baseball every time there was a game on, but I have not watched a game in so long that I have now forgotten what year those spoiled players killed the World Series. I remember why I don’t watch. I am glad I was no longer a fan during the roids era!

31. joetoronto says: May 21, 2011 5:58 AM

Er, the gloves have been off for some time now, Wes.

Holy smokes.

32. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: May 21, 2011 9:56 AM

Wes and the majority of the players still believe De Jesus and will follow him no matter what.

33. CKL says: May 21, 2011 10:57 AM

I LOVE WW… but dude…just because BB can’t “bench” you right now for saying things you should keep to yourself doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still…you know… keep them to yourself. Most of us Pats fans realized he was joking because we are used to his quirky sense of humor, but he’s been on the team long enough to have learned that BB’s lesson is a good lesson: “when you win say little and when you lose say less.”