Lions join Bucs, Broncos in turning down HBO’s Hard Knocks

Jim Schwartz AP

The Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions have joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Denver Broncos in turning down an opportunity to be covered by HBO’s Hard Knocks show.

On paper, the Lions made a lot of sense as a Hard Knocks target because they’re a young team on the rise. G.M. Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Schwartz aren’t proponents of an open-book approach when it comes to organizational matters, however, which made Detroit unlikely to accept.

“When you start getting into meeting rooms, when you start getting into the cafeteria,” Schwartz said last fall, “… into the locker room and things like that, it changes the vibe.”

If HBO doesn’t want to waste anymore time, it should probably look no further than the Falcons. Atlanta G.M. Thomas Dimitroff indicated this week that he’d be willing to put his team under the Hard Knocks microscope.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Lions join Bucs, Broncos in turning down HBO’s Hard Knocks”
  1. hedleykow says: May 21, 2011 7:17 PM

The one thing I learned from watching last year’s Hardknocks series featuring Rex Ryan, is that my cursing repetoire is a lot weaker than I thought. I still need some work in that area.

2. blackheld says: May 21, 2011 7:22 PM

More proof that Detroit finally has competent management and coaching. Hard Knocks is like “Idol for Football Fans”, and I have yet to watch a single episode.

Needless to say, I don’t feel one bit deprived.

The Lions appear to finally understand that the idea is to win football games, not just provide their fans with some kind of cheap, trailer-trash entertainment.

Let the Falcons have Hard Knocks. We’ve all seen how well that worked out for the teams who did it in the past.

3. ttommytom says: May 21, 2011 7:29 PM

I honestly thought Detroit would be perfect. Too bad.

If HBO asks someone else before Atlanta, Atlanta might turn down the bridesmaid role.

Mike Smith is a genuinely nice person, bring on the Falcons…

4. waldoampere says: May 21, 2011 7:30 PM

I like Hard Knocks and I don’t know why teams are afraid of it. The Jets did it and went to the AFC Championship game. The Bengals did it and made their only trip to the playoffs in what seems like decades. I don’t understand coaches who think the vibe will change or that they’re giving away state secrets. If anything it probably makes camp more interesting for all involved and may actually make the players more focused.

5. snnyjcbs says: May 21, 2011 7:45 PM

All those Teams were never invited to be on Hard Knocks, you would think before you can turn something down that you would actually have to been invited to participate first. Some Teams like Denver just want you to think they were in play, they never were.

6. TxGrown says: May 21, 2011 7:46 PM

What would they film? Empty locker rooms? Grounds crew cutting grass?

7. shian11 says: May 21, 2011 8:16 PM

They should do the Oakland raiders!! We could watch Hbo filming the coaching staff selling tickets!!! Or maybe the dolphins, Hbo could film them cutting salaries of their employees during the lockout. Hey maybe with Hbo I. Miami we could find out what in the offseason besides NOT having to pay bonuses to players would cause pay cuts?? Really, does that make sense?? We have to cut your salary because we are not paying players??? I really do side with the owners, but what sense does that make!!!! And congratulations to Roger godell. Finally the NFL is proving they are about the fans, NFL shop on line raised jersey prices from 79.99 to 84.99!!!! Now they have to fight over 9.1 billion!!!!!!!!!!!

8. willycents says: May 21, 2011 8:20 PM

Denver doen’t want anyone filming their qb competition. They don’t want their first round pick to be embarassed when he can’t comprehend the play book and looks like me in his passing effectiveness

9. kyleortonsarm says: May 21, 2011 8:22 PM

They could try and follow the Steelers players around this off season, but knowing them it would probably start looking like an episode of “Cops” pretty fast.

10. Patriot42 says: May 21, 2011 8:22 PM

Who cares!!

11. philyeagles5 says: May 21, 2011 8:27 PM

blackheld says: May 21, 2011 7:22 PM

Needless to say, I don’t feel one bit deprived.

——————————
    yeah i know. i would hate to get to the AFC Championship.

Hard Knocks is a good show. its fun to see how differently things work behind the scenes.

12. king3319 says: May 21, 2011 8:38 PM

Hedleykow….lol…same here I thought my range of cursing was quite broad…I ain’t got nothin comparatively!!!!

13. agelardi says: May 21, 2011 8:40 PM

Just do the Jets again. At least they’re entertaining. It’ll be fun to listen to all the
    “We’re the best/Super Bowl” talk only to see them fail once again.

14. herlies says: May 21, 2011 8:40 PM

I really enjoy Hard Knocks. HBO does a great job with it. There is probably hundreds of hours worth of film that gets cut from the show every year.

Still, I would not want my team to do it. I want them focused on details, not the cameras.

15. sakatak says: May 21, 2011 8:42 PM

TxGrown says:
    May 21, 2011 7:46 PM
    What would they film? Empty locker rooms? Grounds crew cutting grass?

__________________________

Since PFT won’t allow me to give a thumbs up,
    HUGE THUMBS UP, best comment today.

16. acdc84 says: May 21, 2011 8:54 PM

This is one of the few reasons that it’s a disadvantage to be Packer fan. There is no way they’d EVER agree to being featured on Hard Knocks. This is almost certainly a good thing overall, as Hard Knocks must bring a ton of distractions with guys trying to show off individually and not get solid team work done. However it’d be a treat for viewers to see how the class of the NFL gets ready to win another SB; not just for Packer fans but for any true football fans. They could fill a whole episode with stories and accounts of the players riding the kids’ bikes to the field alone.

17. acdc84 says: May 21, 2011 8:57 PM

*If/when my previous post with the link gets deleted, google photo search “Breno Giacomini bike” and have a laugh.

18. redskinspike says: May 21, 2011 9:01 PM

Lions would have been a pretty awesome team to watch. I don’t think that Hard Knocks will really last that long as a series. Unless they just turn it into “Hard Knocks: New York Jets”, since we all know that loudmouth coach would gladly have it every year to put himself in the spotlight more.

19. lanjoith says: May 21, 2011 9:40 PM

Oakland for sure! Then the rest of the country can see how the worst run franchise in football since 2003 does it. We can watch Al “Crypt Keeper” Davis drive around on his Rascal drooling all over himself and peeing his pants while all his puppets stand around and tell the media he is in perfect health and his mind is as sharp as a tack.

Must see tv!!!

20. fooath says: May 21, 2011 11:31 PM

Come on, don’t do the Falcons. Talk about boring. What a vanilla organization and team.

Raiders, Seahawks, do a team where you’re going to get something.

21. TxGrown says: May 21, 2011 11:40 PM

Thanks sakatak!

22. bluefan204 says: May 22, 2011 9:01 AM

There is already more than enough “reality” garbage clogging the airwaves already. When there’s a camera, no one is being “real”, which makes the entire concept nothing but a bad joke on a gullible public. I’ve never watchd a single minute of Hard Knocks, and I never will.

23. ny82jy says: May 22, 2011 11:12 AM

redskinspike says:
    ——————————–

What are u talking about?? First rex and the jets declined to do the show again a long time ago. Also hard knocks has been on tv since 01. This year will be the seventh season. Try to at least know what your talking about if your gonna try to make a insulting comment about the show and the jets you clown. I dont see hard knocks going anywhere and i think its a cool show. Ill follow no matter what team gets on it. Btw have fun with your scrub team finishing last again in the nfc east this season. Redskins are a joke!! Who is your qb again lol!