Wes Welker says contract is the “furthest thing from my mind”

AP

Maybe the Patriots and Wes Welker are headed for a contractual mud wrestle next year.   Maybe not.

Either way, it’s not going to be an issue with the receiver in 2011.

Speaking at his “Old Spice Football Camp” Saturday, Welker told reporters that a new contract was the “furthest thing from my mind,” according to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com

Welker is more focused on getting his body ready for the 2011 season, something that was difficult for him to do last year coming off ACL and shoulder surgery. Welker said he couldn’t lift weights last year and that he’s now healthier than he’s been since 2009.

Veterans like Welker know how to put in the work in the offseason, but he worries that first year players will get left behind, suggesting that rookies “reach into their wallets and spend some money on training.”

Even if the rookies do shell out the bucks, they will probably struggle to make up for time lost in this lost offseason.