David Garrard says he welcomes competition from Blaine Gabbert

D. Garrard2 AP

It was only three years ago that David Garrard won a playoff game in Pittsburgh, and then was rewarded with a contract that paid him as a true franchise quarterback.

Three years in the NFL can be a long time.  Now 33 years old, Garrard watched the Jaguars pick their next franchise quarterback in Blaine Gabbert.  He says he welcomes the competition.

“I think competition’s healthy. You never shy away from competition. That’s just sports,” Garrard told Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union.

We’d expect nothing less from Garrard, who is always professional.  Garrard and Gabbert have been exchanging texts and Garrard says the rookie is a “great kid” that the Jacksoville community will one day rally behind.  Garrard just intends to delay things for a while.

“My thing is the best man will play. The cream will rise to the top.  . . . If it’s not me, then it’s just not me,” Garrard said.  “If Blaine comes in and he is above and beyond just better than me then best of luck to him. Because the best person who is going to give this team a chance to win should be out there. I’ve always believed that. I’m going to work my tail off to make sure that it’s me.”

The lockout, not to mention Garrard’s salary, should keep Gabbert in a backup role heading into the season.  It’s up to Garrard what happens from there.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
23 Responses to “David Garrard says he welcomes competition from Blaine Gabbert”
  1. iamtalkingsolistenandlearn says: May 22, 2011 2:52 PM

You will lose David.

2. skoobyfl says: May 22, 2011 2:53 PM

I don’t think Blaine is going to amount to much, so this probably is not the best first round pick they could of had this draft.

If you’re not drafting in the top 3, don’t take a QB.

3. zoxitic says: May 22, 2011 2:54 PM

One of the classiest players in the NFL.

4. shieldsisland37 says: May 22, 2011 3:00 PM

The problem remains no matter who is taking the snaps. Who are these guys going to throw the ball to? MJD 80 times a year?

5. camnewton420 says: May 22, 2011 3:00 PM

dj khaled im on one

6. steelybills says: May 22, 2011 3:04 PM

Kudos, Mr. Garrard.

7. Scotty M says: May 22, 2011 3:05 PM

Blaine Gabbert is in a good situation in Jacksonville. The Defense is improving, he has an amazing run game with MJD, and he can learn from David Garrard.

8. huskersrock1 says: May 22, 2011 3:11 PM

I don’t think Garrard is that great of a QB, but I tend to root for him since he is a standup, intelligent, individual.

9. Scotty M says: May 22, 2011 3:22 PM

Jacksonville needs a star WR. Maybe Braylon Edwards.

10. whatsafairway says: May 22, 2011 3:22 PM

The burning question, when Garrard gets traded, will he offer to wear a wrist band?

11. JNB says: May 22, 2011 3:25 PM

Why can’t some of these divas at the QB position act more like David Garrard?

12. whatswiththehate says: May 22, 2011 3:32 PM

Why do I feel like the sports media is now dictating the future of these roockies? Why are we forever being brainwashed into believing that Blaine is an automatic franchise QB. Yet he hasn’t even stepped foot unto the football field as a Pro and his background does not quite match the media hype.

And how come it’s only Blaine who automatically get the franchise tag and none of the other rookie QBs.

Gosh, I feel as if these athletes, especially the rookies, are no longer allowed to have their careers dictate their future but is having their future in the NFL dictated by the Now-It-Alls in the sports media.

Seriously, when did the sport media become so powerful? Especially in the NFL.

13. phazard says: May 22, 2011 3:37 PM

The headline should read, “David Garrard lies.”

14. gypjet says: May 22, 2011 3:50 PM

Quick, everyone go to TMZ and see how gay Tom Brady is on the waterslide. What a nancy boy.

15. innerlign says: May 22, 2011 5:01 PM

Pure class.

16. db3300 says: May 22, 2011 5:48 PM

The issue is not whether Garrard is classy, intelligent, or whatever. The fact is that Gabbert is a 1st round draft pick who will make millions of dollars so he will not lose this battle whether he deserves to or not. It may be this year or it may be next year but Garrard will not be the starter for much longer. Gabbert will be given his shot as a starter even if he turns out to be a bust.

17. hobartbaker says: May 22, 2011 6:35 PM

David has to face the ghost of Pat Tillman.

18. clintonrb says: May 22, 2011 10:04 PM

Dave will be traded for a third rounder in 2012- and the jags will be better for it- he’s ok but cant even get his team to a first place finish in the division let alone a deep playoff run- he’s had his chance, give gabbert a shot, keep the fourth best back in the Nfl (Mojo) happy and there while blaine develops , spend money on real wideouts to go with Lewis , get a real right tackle and you may have something

19. mechajaguar says: May 22, 2011 10:51 PM

@shieldsislands: I don’t know, how about our Pro Bowl Tight End, Marcedes Lewis?

20. nowathand twitter.com/Chris_M_Bach says: May 23, 2011 12:16 AM

If this were a normal offseason, I’m pretty sure Blaine Gabbert would win the starting job by the end of the season.

I really like Garrard but he reminds me a lot of former Jaguar Mark Brunell in his bad decision-making. Those young weapons are going to make Gabbert a fantasy star quick…and the Jaguar defense is going to make it so he has to keep throwing.

21. mataug says: May 23, 2011 1:15 AM

Del Rio has thrown Garrard under the bus countless number of times. And Garrard keeps playing like a professional (compare that to Donovan’s comment without a real comment style). He knows his limitations and I think he has done well considering that.
    They have some good pieces down there in Jacksonville. Now if they could just get rid of their j**kass coach…

22. cruells says: May 23, 2011 8:16 AM

I wonder if he is as open minded to competition when he is benched 30 seks into the new season..

23. CKL says: May 23, 2011 8:51 AM

mataug says:
    May 23, 2011 1:15 AM
    ___________________________________
    Agree with all this. JDR must have pics of WW doing illegal things with monkeys or something. Yeesh.