Everson Griffen spends offseason in Minnesota to avoid trouble

Minnesota Vikings v Chicago Bears Getty Images

The Vikings didn’t give up on defensive end Everson Griffen after two arrests in the span of a week in January.  But new head coach Leslie Frazier delivered a clear message.

“He said, ‘Know what you’re here for,'” Griffen told the St. Paul Pioneer Press.  “I’m here to play football. I’m here to represent the Minnesota Vikings, and I want to represent them in a good way, not a bad way.”

That conversation came when Griffen was planning a Facebook-advertised party in Vegas a short time after Griffen was arrested for allegedly being drunk in public and resisting arrest in less than a week.

Griffen canceled the party and decided to get out of Los Angeles to spend his offseason in Minnesota, where he is working out with teammates and is presumably less likely to get in trouble.

“I had a little rough stretch,” Griffen said.  “Coaches want me back, and that’s the place for me to be. That’s not me at all. I’m just trying to make changes. I’ve got big years coming up. I’m just trying to show the Minnesota Vikings I’m here for good.”

Griffen says that his charges of resisting arrest have been dropped.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
18 Responses to “Everson Griffen spends offseason in Minnesota to avoid trouble”
  1. gdeli says: May 22, 2011 9:48 AM

Why does he like some other people minimize what he did? stupid. Griffen was arrested for allegedly being drunk in public and resisting arrest in less than a week. allegedly? he either was or wasn’t. arnold might as well say…I have a LITTLE problem with womanizing. ha

2. uncommon1 says: May 22, 2011 9:56 AM

Hopefully he has a teammate or friend keeping him in line. The Minneapolis Uptown/Downtown Bar scenes are every bit as vibrant as LA’s. The difference is, a celebrity sighting is a big deal here. Plus in MN we have those guys that use their car as a weapon and hurt/kill people.

3. realitypolice says: May 22, 2011 10:28 AM

He should go stay with his distant relatives in Quahog.

4. schmitty2 says: May 22, 2011 12:04 PM

So let me get get this straight..you Can’t get in trouble in Minnesota? I’ve been in downtown Minneapolis. When you have to get frisked by security prior to entering a pizza joint that tells me something

5. literofcola says: May 22, 2011 12:50 PM

Nice to see that he is trying to make a change, but he can’t pin his troubles on the city he is in~ he needs to change himself and not just the scenery.

6. phinfan says: May 22, 2011 1:36 PM

And please avoid any Culpepper Love Boats

7. dogsweat1 says: May 22, 2011 1:52 PM

Yes, because Minneapolis is a safe haven for families.

Gangs and drugs are not welcome in the Twin Cities..

8. backindasaddle says: May 22, 2011 2:29 PM

Sounds like he’s smart enough to know that he’s an idiot.

9. 1stngoal says: May 22, 2011 3:00 PM

He thought his days of partying USC style would continue unabated, until he realized he no longer has the University and USC coaches to cover up his messes any more. Time to grow up I guess…

10. lbijake says: May 22, 2011 3:09 PM

schmitty2 says: May 22, 2011 12:04 PM

schmitty-To me it says “Damn fine pizza!”.

11. purpleguy says: May 22, 2011 3:39 PM

If he wanted to be perfectly safe, bored as hell, and free from the temptations of evening entertainment, he should spend the summer in Green Bay.

12. db105 says: May 22, 2011 3:54 PM

Could the issue be poor character/bad behavior?

13. blackheld says: May 22, 2011 3:56 PM

I rather suspect it wasn’t the difference between LA and Minneapolis that was the issue. It was much more likely the people he knew in LA that was the issue, and they aren’t in Minneapolis.

Yeah, i9t’s easy to say that others were responsible for the trouble you get into, but if you avoid those others then you improve your chances of avoiding trouble.

Kudos to Everson Griffen.

14. goombar2 says: May 22, 2011 4:44 PM

Well, I’ll respect a guy who sees the error of his ways and tries to do better. That ought to be applauded.

But the stuff happened in January, not that long a go. The jury is still out. Minneapolis, by and larger, is pretty wholesome and white bread.

15. jstrizzle says: May 22, 2011 5:19 PM

The dude could be good if he was motivated. Problem is we probably will never see him that way. Never was at USC either.

(http://minnesporta.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/griffen-works-to-stay/)

16. stellarperformance says: May 22, 2011 7:04 PM

purpleguy says: May 22, 2011 3:39 PM
    ——————————————————————

What is your state motto…Minnesota Nice? More like Minnesota Ice. Aside from the sticks-and-stones schtick that always emanates from iceholes in Minnesota first (example shown above,) he’d certainly be closer to a Super Bowl atmosphere than anywhere else in the NFL….especially Minnesota. But…he already knows that doesn’t he?

17. assmilkmoney says: May 22, 2011 8:33 PM

I talked to him brielfy over the weekend. I’ve seen him around the city several times but never approached him, but Dude is a f—–g dick.

18. brewdogg says: May 22, 2011 8:59 PM

Well, I guess if he is willing to look around and say that he has a better chance of staying out of trouble being in Minnesota than being in LA with his friends, then I guess that at least shows a willingness to try to grow up and take his life and career seriously. Let’s see what comes of this.