Bruce Allen dials back talk about Redskins being aggressive in free agency

Dan Snyder, Bruce Allen AP

We noted with some delight last week that it looked like the Redskins were going to get back to being the Redskins in free agency this year, based on some comments from G.M. Bruce Allen.

Allen tried to tone down the comments over the weekend, saying they were taken out of context.  (Allen said last week they would be “as aggressive as any team” in free agency.)

“The question was, were we capable of it,” Allen told CSNWashington. “And, yes, we are capable of it. We’ve identified what we want to do in free agency, and as soon as they get a collective bargaining agreement, we’ll proceed with our plan. . . . I think the draft is our statement of our game plan. We added 12 players who are going to infuse youth into every position on our team.”

Fair enough.  The Redskins of old would not stockpiled 12 draft picks, so we applaud that effort.  (Trading two future picks for an aging Donovan McNabb is exactly the move the old Redskins would make, on the other hand.)

Our post last week was partly based on Mike Jones of the Washington Post repeatedly mentioning via league sources that Washington was “champing at the bit” to spend in free agency.

The rookies help, but the Redskins still have big holes on the roster, including some starting jobs. (Wide receiver is one.)  This rebuilding job will take patience, something Dan Snyder, Mike Shanahan, and Allen haven’t shown a lot of over the last decade.   We still expect them to make noise.

Still, Allen promises that overpaying expensive old free agents in Washington is a thing of the past.

“No, we’ve dealt with that,” he said.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
19 Responses to “Bruce Allen dials back talk about Redskins being aggressive in free agency”
  1. krow101 says: May 23, 2011 9:17 AM

Why bother? All fee agents are going to sign with the Eagles again this year.

2. karlpilkington says: May 23, 2011 9:19 AM

I wonder just how many years it is going to take to get rid of the reputation of being the champs of the offseason.

I mean I see how some things have changed but the skins can not shake this identity, I hate you Dan Snyder for what you have done to my team.

3. oldbyrd says: May 23, 2011 9:25 AM

They need a doctor.

4. tatum064 says: May 23, 2011 9:45 AM

Easy Bruce…relax. There’ll be plenty of time to overpay for chemistry destroying talent, players that dont fit the scheme and people looking to scapegoat. This is the worst free agent class ever with the exception of Nnamdi Asomugha.

You’ll have Marcus Spears, Richard Marshall, Chansi Stuckey and any number of wack free agents to sign (and likely overpay for)

5. clintonportisheadd says: May 23, 2011 9:46 AM

Dan Snyder’s willingness to spend unlimited amounts of money on players (most of whom turn out to be duds-hello Albert!) will be the next issue to watch in the NFL once the labor contract gets signed.

He and a few similarly minded owners want to abolish league parity and set themselves up as football George Steinbrenners. The division of money amongst the teams and a level playing field going forward will be the biggest test Goodell will face in the future. It’s an issue that far far surpasses the labor mess he is dealing with now.

6. calzone21411 says: May 23, 2011 10:00 AM

Thing of the past? What do you call McNabb? Oh wait…starting now.

7. skins3yearplan says: May 23, 2011 10:27 AM

Management has changed, as has their mindset. Nobody believes this yet. It will take a few years, but the Skins finally have a coherent plan to build for the future. Snyder is a complete ass, but he actually does have the capacity to learn from his mistakes as most humans do.

The draft really was a perfect example of how Bruce and Shanny have changed the mindset.

8. bturner032002 says: May 23, 2011 10:41 AM

@calzone21411 and gregg

If you think 3 mil for one year and 2 picks to get McNabb is grossly overpaying for a then starting QB then you guys are crazy.

9. docredskin says: May 23, 2011 10:45 AM

oldbyrd says:
    May 23, 2011 9:25 AM
    They need a doctor.

No, I’m one and I can’t help us. We need a quarterback.

10. bturner032002 says: May 23, 2011 10:45 AM

sorry meant 5 milly and 2 picks

11. baddegg says: May 23, 2011 10:56 AM

karlpilkington says:
    May 23, 2011 9:19 AM

———-

They will continue being the butt of the jokes until they start winning. When they start winning, then it’ll be harder to make fun of them.

Honestly, if they go out this season and overspend, then proceed to make the playoffs, people will be like, “Oh, what great pickups the Redskins made.” As is often says, “winning cures everything.”

The worst thing the Redskins can do is respond to public perception regarding the right or wrong way to build the team. They need to have a plan that they believe in and then try to execute it. Win or lose based on your gameplan, I say. Until then, you have to take your lumps if it doesn’t work out.

But it will change, eventually. I’ve been watching football a long time, and remember when teams like the Saints were “jokes with a bad owner” who will NEVER get better. Then they got better. The Redskins need to go through the tough job of getting better.

12. blackqbwhiterb says: May 23, 2011 11:24 AM

bad egg, you’re right, philosophically, theoretically.
    But when these guys are getting millions to put together a winning program, and you and I know from our living room tv, beer in hand, that Donovan McNabb isn’t going to do any better than Jason Campbell, it’s hard to be patient. Did you not also know that the offensive line stunk, and that pass rushers are a dime a dozen, and yet we still see them use the 16th pick on a pass rusher, and not get a top-tier offensive tackle or QB….again, it’s hard to be patient when the problems are obvious to us and not to them, the experts…..

13. geniusesq says: May 23, 2011 11:41 AM

Pass rushers are a dime a dozen?

14. vtsquirm says: May 23, 2011 11:46 AM

its not that they wasted countless draft picks on aging players like McNabb. Its that these players #1 didn’t fit their system and #2 were gone after a year (Jason taylor, TJ Duckett). if they trade 2 picks for a starter, you kind of expect that guy to stay around a couple years!

15. baddegg says: May 23, 2011 12:37 PM

blackqbwhiterb says: May 23, 2011 11:24 AM

bad egg, you’re right, philosophically, theoretically.

——-

Dude, I totally agree that they need to do a better job than they have in the past. No doubt they have erred significantly with respect to their personnel moves. I’m actually ok with them taking Kerrigan at 16 if they shore up the OL through other means. This is why I would be ok with them being very active in the FA market. They simply had too many holes to fill with the draft alone.

The key is that they pick up FAs in a wise manner — selecting guys that fit the scheme and who will help to build a unified team with good chemistry. The other thing they must do is be patient. Let the posters and experts yap all they want about how Shanny has to win this year, but then quietly give him time to build a roster. It’s really ok if they are “last in the NFC East this year LMAO, etc. etc.” Just let it go. Let people make fun of you and just go according to your plan. I have no reason to believe that Snyder has learned his lesson and that he will do this. I am just a fan and all I can do is keep rooting for my team to get it right one day. I’m not going to switch teams so all I can do is hope.

16. karlpilkington says: May 23, 2011 1:02 PM

BADEGG!!!!!!

karlpilkington says:
    May 23, 2011 9:19 AM

———-

THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME SOME OPTIMISM AND NOT BEING MEAN!

17. calzone21411 says: May 23, 2011 1:43 PM

@bturner032002

typical fan who keeps buying the same crappy product but expects different results.

18. trickbunny says: May 23, 2011 7:07 PM

Free angency time for the Redskins, eh?

What aging, flagging headcase or locker room cancer will win the Dan Snyder sweepstakes and receive a windfall for 3 times what he’s worth *this* year? :)

LOLing @ skins3yearplan’s statement about new coaching staff and new mindset- Everyone knows Dan Snyder runs (and ruins) the show in Skinsville, boy-o! :)

Napoleon has spoken!

19. ztvmid says: May 24, 2011 12:32 AM

@trickbunny

what locker room cancers have the skins picked up in the past couple of years via free agency other than Big Al? From what I hear, D Hall, O.J. Atogwe, London Fletcher, Shawn Springs, Artis Hicks, D-Dock, Marcus Washington, and Todd Collins are all pretty cool dude’s…do your homework