Lions’ Burleson, Johnson among players enjoying the lockout

Nate Burleson AP

In an offseason with nothing going on, one of the hot debates around the NFL is whether it’s OK for players to enjoy the fact that nothing is going on. Reggie Bush is among the players saying they’re enjoying the relaxation, while Barry Cofield says that pisses him off.

Count Lions receivers Nate Burleson and Calvin Johnson among those who say they’re glad to have some time off.

“Maybe [it’s frustrating] to the guys in the front office, but to me, I’m taking it easy, back at home, just training, relaxing,” Johnson told the Detroit Free Press. “I enjoy being at home around the family. This is the only time it’ll probably be like this, so I’m going to enjoy my time off.”

Burleson had similar comments, noting that without minicamps and organized team activities, he has more time with his family.

“I got to be honest, it’s a little bit of a convenience for a guy like me,” Burleson said. “Three contracts in, being able to spend some time with my family, being back home this time of the year, it’s a good thing.”

The fans won’t agree with Burleson that it’s a good thing, but then again the fans aren’t the ones who have to sweat through the workouts. It’s not surprising that players are happy to have some time off work.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
15 Responses to “Lions’ Burleson, Johnson among players enjoying the lockout”
  1. bears354 says: May 23, 2011 2:13 PM

God forbid these players work more than 7 months a year. How horrible it must be.

2. thephantomstranger says: May 23, 2011 2:15 PM

Seems like it makes sense for the players to say they don’t mind the lockout. If they appear to be bothered by it, they lose leverage in negotiations (if there ever are any). The fans may not like it but I don’t think it hurts them in the bargaining process.

3. sagatti says: May 23, 2011 2:19 PM

From a fans perspective it sucks.. but EVERYONE who is in a good financial space would LOVE some free time off from work.. ESPECIALLY if that work involved collisions at 100 mph with your body as the target.

4. calhounlambeau says: May 23, 2011 2:25 PM

Who wouldn’t enjoy a break from the senseless NFL work schedule? The truth is, most NFL coaches are obsessed with work and coaching, it makes them feel important, it’s why they made it to the NFL, workaholics, so they pretty much schedule year-around workouts, camps, etc. These players have been playing football forever, they know how to play the game. Now management has made this year round ridiculousness a contract issue, so all these guys have to show up to these practices and workouts to make money.

So when guys like Burleson and Johnson who don’t have to go to workouts and practice say they enjoy not doing it, stupid fans get mad. If I had $3 million or $800,000 in the bank and was guaranteed work in a few months, who wouldn’t be excited about the time off during the summer?

Since football is entertainment and we like to be entertained fans get mad when the circus elephants appear to be taking it for granted…grow up folks.

5. clownburger says: May 23, 2011 2:35 PM

Yeah, but it’s not like Johnson and Burleson are laying around getting fat.

They’re taking part in the team activities. They’re training at home. They’re enjoying time at home, but they’re still getting ready for the season.

6. duanethomas says: May 23, 2011 2:39 PM

Why would fans be upset at guys spending more time with their families? They know how to play football and are staying in shape, whats the issue?

7. armchairgm9 says: May 23, 2011 2:48 PM

I don’t care if you’re blue collar, white collar, or an NFL player…if you could still support your family while getting a few months off, you would enjoy it too. So don’t bash on these guys for it.

8. trbowman says: May 23, 2011 2:50 PM

I can’t blame them. The NFL is a ton of work. If I were a player I’d be happy too.

I’m not though, so I don’t care.

9. schmitty2 says: May 23, 2011 2:50 PM

calhounlambeau says:
    May 23, 2011 2:25 PM

So how do you think they got that 3 million in the bank? Answer-the people that are on this site that can complain as much as they damn want. We help pay they their salaries so we have the right to hope that they are doing everything they can to perform well on the field

10. johnnycash19 says: May 23, 2011 3:04 PM

So let me get this straight.

Calvin and Nate are happy that they get to spend more time with their family?

How is this news?

11. willycents says: May 23, 2011 3:23 PM

Irreparable harm? I question their legal representatives using that term based on the statements.

Of course, spending more time with their wives might cause irreparable harm(Right brandon Marshall?). Think about it..5 months+ at home 24/7 with the wife.

12. roxtar10 says: May 23, 2011 3:51 PM

No – the fans aren’t the ones sweating through the workouts. They’re the ones paying the bills….

13. rcali says: May 23, 2011 4:01 PM

Professionl athletes have much more time with their family then people who have any regular type job. Lot of people work long hours and travel all week for work. Few get 3 or 4 months off in between their “busy” times at work. Time to stop throwing the “family time” thing in the American workers face.

14. vetdana says: May 23, 2011 6:07 PM

Hey …..QUESTION for the boys……How are you going to like having a YEAR off with no pay to spend time with the family ?

15. dewalt2990 says: May 23, 2011 7:01 PM

Why would you leave out what Burleson said right after that.
    “But I have more concern for those free agents or young guys who haven’t got established yet and won’t have a true offseason. And there’s a lot of people working at stadiums and facilities that depend on this money. There’s a lot of people that I think about that are being affected and that’s what upsets me.”