Urlacher still upset with Cutler’s detractors

2011 NFC Championship: Green Bay Packers v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Almost two years since Brian Urlacher was accused of calling Jay Cutler a word that makes most women cringe, Urlacher said the exact opposite over the weekend.

The Bears defensive captain is still upset at fellow players who questioned Cutler’s toughness following Chicago’s NFC Championship game loss.

“It was stupid. Then all the guys that were trying to get attention, it was just dumb to me,” Urlacher told Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times Sunday.

“If Jay could have been in there, he would have been. That’s all I know. He’s not a little [expletive.]  He’s a tough dude. He played hurt, and anyone who watches our games knows how tough he is.”   (Note: Yep, the expletive was the same as two years ago.)

Urlacher defended Cutler at the time of the quarterback’s knee injury, and still sounds pissed off.  He singled out Maurice Jones-Drew as an offender that particularly annoyed him.

“He missed two games,” Urlacher said of Jones-Drew. “I don’t know what was wrong with his knee, but don’t sit on the couch and talk about someone who is playing.”

Urlacher turns 33 years old on Wednesday, but it’s clear he hasn’t lost the ornery edge that has helped define his career.  That’s probably a good thing for the Bears.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Urlacher still upset with Cutler’s detractors”
  1. clawledge says: May 24, 2011 10:00 AM

So Urlacher is upset with himself?

2. sportsmaniac66 says: May 24, 2011 10:01 AM

I was at the game. GBP fan although. I will say this. Cutler was hurt. I was less than 200 feet away from watching the guy get smoked twice. You could hear one of the hits as clear as day. If anyone noticed when Rogers got hit in Detroit, he was almost useless after the hit. Cutler was hurt. Point blank.

3. bearsblow says: May 24, 2011 10:03 AM

Is Washed upLacher turning into Farve???

4. philsimmsisadouche says: May 24, 2011 10:06 AM

So when Urlacher called Cutler a p*$$y he wasn’t also a detractor? He helped stack the deck for people’s eventual, now current, perception of Cutler. Cutler did the rest of it himself. Cutler’s always been a front runner. If he’s in a tough game, he gets frustrated and quits. That’s been the knock on him since his rookie year.

5. touchdownroddywhite says: May 24, 2011 10:07 AM

Actually, I think Jay Cutler has proven he is a whiny [expletive].

6. yzguy431 says: May 24, 2011 10:11 AM

initial rumblings have the owners shutting down the season.

7. blizzard01 says: May 24, 2011 10:12 AM

I could watch a replay of last year’s NFC championship game every single day.

Did Urlacking play in that one?

8. mrplow3 says: May 24, 2011 10:15 AM

Nobody hates Cutler because of his toughness. We hate him because of that stupid mopey, sourpuss face he always makes.

That and his making arrogant comments all the time like “my arm is strnger than Elways”

He’s just a brat, nobody likes a brat.

9. hardate says: May 24, 2011 10:18 AM

I’d pay to see Urlacher whips Drew’s ass. He needs to keep his mouth shut.

10. wavy77 says: May 24, 2011 10:18 AM

That this became an issue in the first place shows you the power of the stupid.

People love to hate Cutler, and they will find any petty excuse to question his toughness, decision-making or whatever lame issue they can come up with. Of course Url has Cutler’s back, as does 90% of all the real Bears-fans out there.

11. hedden93 says: May 24, 2011 10:22 AM

This really wasn’t a huge deal in the first place. Just let it go man.

12. nokoolaidcowboy says: May 24, 2011 10:22 AM

Not a Bear’s fan but people to get off Cutler’s ass. Especially the arm chair quarterback’s.

13. bearingdown says: May 24, 2011 10:23 AM

Fantastic point by Urlacher. I wish they had fired back with this right away.

What say you, Mariuce Jones Drew?

Probably nothing.

14. koch23jk says: May 24, 2011 10:25 AM

Hey Urlacher: GIVE IT UP ALREADY

15. tebowsgonnagitya says: May 24, 2011 10:29 AM

I think people should question Why Caleb Henne played a better game than Cutler. I believe he was injured, but I also believe he has yet to shine in game that mattered. Shanahan replacing Plummer with this loser was the beginning of the end of the Broncos as playoff team.

16. purpleguy says: May 24, 2011 10:29 AM

Urlacher is a great player, but the dude is always flipping crabby. Doesn’t he eat enough fiber or something?

17. carlgerbschmidt says: May 24, 2011 10:34 AM

Hey Urlsucker, if you want people to shut up, win a game.

Bears. Still. Suck.

18. goombar2 says: May 24, 2011 10:40 AM

You know, the best way to make this go away is to not talk about it. That’s what any rational person would do.

So that begs the question, why does he continue to talk about it? Why does he get so defensive?

19. spawnsacs says: May 24, 2011 10:43 AM

wavy77 says:
    May 24, 2011 10:18 AM

“Of course Url has Cutler’s back, as does 90% of all the real Bears-fans out there.”
    ————————————————–
    Did you happen to read or listen to any type of sports media in Chicago after the game…..I would say your “90%” statement is off…by like 75%.

This is not about the injury itself…it is about the way Cutler sheilded himself from anything happening on the field. How he sulked on the sidelines, how he avoided any contact with the guys playing in the game. True leaders are on the sidelines coaching/cheering their teammates if injured. You saw none of that from Cutler.

20. themackstrong says: May 24, 2011 10:43 AM

I can’t believe the media turned this into such an issue. I honestly don’t like Cutler, the way he carries himself just annoys me for some reason. I do respect his toughness and heart, I watched him get crushed with that terrible o-line to start the season time and time again and he would get back up and play with that same fearlessness. All the detractors I’m sure after 1 they would be cower act like world Urlacher used

21. bilpac7 says: May 24, 2011 10:45 AM

wavy, regardless of your perception of people being stupid, Cutler does make some, more often than not, dumb A decisions. If you get any sort of pressure on him, he turns his back as he heaves a prayer, which more often than not is incomplete or intercepted. When protected, he has great tools, but not every QB is well protected. I believe he was definetly hurt, but good gosh, he demeanor on the sidelines was comical, Hanne gave them their best shot that afternoon

22. goldkj says: May 24, 2011 10:45 AM

Even people in Chicago don’t care about this anymore. Watch the Bulls, Brian. It’s Derrick Rose’s town now.

23. huskerguy says: May 24, 2011 10:48 AM

Hey URSLACKER!

That was Brandon Jackson that made you lose your jock.

Brandon freakin’ Jackson…

Don’t get me wrong, B-Jax is good but he isn’t Barry Sanders.

Thanks for missing that tackle… quitter.

24. jamoe17 says: May 24, 2011 10:57 AM

Sure Cutler was physically injured, but if he had ANY mental toughness…he would have stayed in the game.

His supporters (almost exclusively Bears fans/teammates/coaches) continue to point to his physical toughness, but are either missing the point or deflecting.

25. wavy77 says: May 24, 2011 10:57 AM

spawnsacs says: May 24, 2011 10:43 AM

wavy77 says:
    May 24, 2011 10:18 AM

————

I guess if you use the Fox Sports pictures as a foundation for your argument you’re right. The problem is that they never showed when Cutler was interacting with his teammates. The people who were there could testify that he was there talking to Caleb Hanie and co…of course that’s not what the Cutler-haters want to believe, which shows you why this case has showed that the stupids won again.

26. jpmelon says: May 24, 2011 10:58 AM

@ mrplow3

That’s funny because I know a bartender in Denver that served him regularly and she said the exact same thing…..”he’s an arrogant brat”.

It’s hard to get respect when you don’t give it out every once in a while.

27. alreed83 says: May 24, 2011 11:02 AM

Jones-Drew also played on the same injury Cutler had for 14 games. Failed to mention that. Urlacher couldn’t tote MJD jockstrap.

28. wavy77 says: May 24, 2011 11:02 AM

bilpac7 says: May 24, 2011 10:45 AM

——————-

I never said there isn’t anythign to criticize Cutler for. Yes, he makes bad decisions at times. Sometimes he gets away with it, sometimes not, again other times his receivers blows the play making Cutler look bad as a result. In the championship game he was pretty bad, I agree. However this entire case about questioning his toughness had nothing to do with his decisionmaking. It was all about the haters loving to hate.

29. pkrjones says: May 24, 2011 11:09 AM

Stop bringing it up, Brian… there will ALWAYS be some (me included) who think Cutler’s a puddy-tat until he proves us otherwise. He gave up in the NFC Champs game, didn’t even attempt a brace or taping ~ content to ride the pines and let others do the work. I’m sure the entire offense appreciates how you helped the other QB’s on the sidelines… oh, that’s right… you sat by yourself and didn’t help!

30. 4dabears says: May 24, 2011 11:31 AM

@ blizzard01- if you consider 9 tkls, 1.0 sk & 1 int as not playing then you are a bigger fool than you sound.

31. lrt79 says: May 24, 2011 11:42 AM

I don’t know which is more pathetic, the idiotic Bears haters who can’t get over their jealousy of Chicago or the sports media idiots who keep trying to dredge this story up. I know, it’s a long off-season and there aren’t many stories with the lockout, but really.

This horse was beaten to death, buried, dug up, beat on some more, buried again, and now dug up again. Necrobestialiaty is what this is.

The horse is dead. The Chicago Bears had a better season than all but 2 other teams in the NFL last season, but in the end they lost. Chicago fans are over it, maybe it’s time the rest of the football world start getting over it too.

32. bilpac7 says: May 24, 2011 11:55 AM

jealousy, pfffffffffffttttttt

man oh man, that was silly, I respect the Chicago Bears, I have always loved good defenses but jealous, please. I can’t even grasp that! The Chicago Bears caught every break imaginable last season buthey, they took advantage of it. The Monday nighter against the Pack with 17 penalties was BS, playing Miami with a 3rd string QB, the list goes on and on. They will definetly finish 3rd in division, and will be fighting with Cowboys, Giants, etc for last wild card spot, but thats what the Pack did, Super Bowl champs!

33. whatswiththehate says: May 24, 2011 12:00 PM

I don’ know which one is one is more sad, the fact that these sports writers and analysts are finding ways to keep this Jay Culter nonsense alive or them hiding the fact that they are intentionally attacking Jay because he has made it known that he doesn’t care for these sports media folks and their egos are bruised.

34. lrt79 says: May 24, 2011 12:07 PM

bilpac7,

The Packers played pretty much the same schedule as the Bears, minus two games. If the Bears were lucky, doesn’t that mean the Pack was as well?

Next tired excuse, please.

35. Stupid Raiders Fan says: May 24, 2011 12:19 PM

Why don’t these two just get married already?

36. broncfanor says: May 24, 2011 12:23 PM

Maybe wavy77 should make a “Leave Cutler alone” video much like the “Leave Britney alone” video Chris Crocker made.

Cutler brought this on himself through his actions since he hit the league.

Your man crush has blinded you.

37. joetoronto says: May 24, 2011 12:34 PM

Why does Urlacher keep talking about it?

All he’s doing is keeping it alive.

Brian, it’s pretty simple, if they ask you about it again, just say “no comment”.

38. lrt79 says: May 24, 2011 12:36 PM

Much as I think it’s petty and childish, I think it is legitimate to talk about his “demeanor.” Does Cutler have a pouty face that makes him seem like a d-bag? Sure.

Questioning his toughness, though, is just ridiculous. It’s beyond ridiculous. The guy got his butt kicked all season long and got up every single time but the once he was concussed. But he quit during the biggest game of his career? How stupid do you have to be to believe this?

If you want to criticize Jay Cutler, criticize him for playing godawful football in the first half of that game. Criticize him for staying in after he received his injury on the FIRST PLAY OF THE SECOND QUARTER. There were at least two times that he had Hester wide open for a TD and he underthrew the ball because HE WAS INJURED.

If those passes were completed, Packers needed a helluva comeback to win with the way the Bears D was playing.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Cutler. But hey, if you prefer petty and childish to strong and reasonable, that’s on you.

39. tjrubleysaudible says: May 24, 2011 12:37 PM

This is just Urlacher’s sly way of continuing to call him one. “Cu*tler is not a whiny little b***h. He is also not a p***y. I don’t know why other people say that he whines so much because his panties are always in a bunch. Interview me again in a few days and I will tell you that he does not need to take a Midol, and I will also say that I don’t understand how people can say that Jay also likes to **** chickens. I’ll tell you a lot of other stuff that I don’t believe is true about him, but what I’ve heard other anonymous sources say.”.

40. flyboy123456 says: May 24, 2011 12:45 PM

doesn’t this guy paint his toenails?

41. hobartbaker says: May 24, 2011 12:50 PM

All the guys got together and bought Jay a T shirt that says “I AM NOT A WHINY LITTLE B***** AND I DON’T HAVE FATTY NECK ROLLS!”.

42. footballhistorian says: May 24, 2011 12:54 PM

The link to what Jurklacker said is dead…

43. mswravens says: May 24, 2011 1:04 PM

Nothing like one highly over-rated player sticking up for another highly over-rated player!!!

44. orangeflh says: May 24, 2011 1:08 PM

Slice it any way ya want, Chi-Town-Ghetto-Rats. Aaron Rodgers has a big, pretty ring coming and a Superbowl MVP award. Cutler has… nothing.

45. jpiro says: May 24, 2011 1:16 PM

It’s funny that all of this is essentially because Cutler DIDN’T hobble around on the sidelines.

If he had actually acted like a [expletive] and limped around wincing in exaggerated pain instead of coming out and trying to do his job, realizing his knee wouldn’t let him and then sitting down quietly, nobody would have questioned him.

46. metalhead65 says: May 24, 2011 1:29 PM

right no bears should say anything just let viqueen and cheesehead fans, along with the experts write and say whatever they want but the bears or thier fans not say a word. yea pretty sure that has not or will not happen. BEAR DOWN!

47. ernieernie says: May 24, 2011 1:29 PM

Urlacher ? Does he still play football. I think I missed him last year but so did the Bears. He is now nicknamed Mr Insignificant.

Most people don’t blaim Cutler for getting injured, sh___ happens so it isn’t like all the fans turned on him in the first place. It was a couple of crybaby bears that did.

48. tjrubleysaudible says: May 24, 2011 1:41 PM

That BEAR DOWN thing always makes me think of someone in need of Ex-lax. Or is it really what you all say when you see your QB in the backfield?

49. 305phinphan says: May 24, 2011 1:50 PM

It’s amazing that after Urlacher said some harsh choice of words for Cutler now he is trying to defend him for what others are saying about him?

Urlacher needs to worry less about what people are saying about Cutler and worry more why he said some nasty things to his own child.

50. wavy77 says: May 24, 2011 2:00 PM

broncfanor says: May 24, 2011 12:23 PM

Cutler brought this on himself through his actions since he hit the league.

Your man crush has blinded you.

——————

What man crush are you talking about?

I think Cutler will be pretty much ok, not matter what people will say. I just think he’s been attacked a lot more than he’s deserved. Sometimes I have the feeling we’re talking about TO or Brandon Marshall when they in fact talk about Cutler. The guy doesn’t say a whole lot, and is criticized for it.

Oh you’re a Broncos-fan! That explains it…still bitter you lost your QB eh?

51. broncfanor says: May 24, 2011 3:58 PM

Nope not bitter at all.

I was happy to get that gutless whiner out of Denver. I didn’t like him from day one.

Now Chicago gets to see why MANY Bronco fans were glad to see him go.

52. wavy77 says: May 24, 2011 5:17 PM

broncfanor says: May 24, 2011 3:58 PM

Nope not bitter at all.

Now Chicago gets to see why MANY Bronco fans were glad to see him go.

—————

I’m pretty happy with him. He’s got a winning record so far, and keeps improving his game, which cannot be bad.