Agent: “These guys are driving these players right off a cliff”

NFL And Players Resume Mediation Getty Images

We don’t know if it’s a groundswell or a grassroots movement just yet, but there appears to be growing support for the players and owners to sit down and negotiate once again.

Falcons running back Jason Snelling, Falcons linebacker Coy Wire, and Eagles kicker David Akers have all publicly expressed a desire to negotiate soon rather than continue to pursue a litigation/leverage strategy.  And if the NFLPA* doesn’t want to negotiate, at least one agent wants to do it for them.

Agent Joe Linta wants to get a copy of ownership’s most recent proposal and present it to his players.

“I’d like to see it myself so when I talk to my 45 guys, I can show them what it is – since there is no union,’’ Linta told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I would like Mr. Rooney to forward the offer to me. I represent two percent of the union, I’m not insignificant. Let me ask you something, who has the players’ back more, the players union or the player’s agent? Why can’t I get copy of this and disseminate it to my players?”

Agents generally have their interests aligned with the players.  But we’ve also seen many of them implore the NFLPA* via Twitter to negotiate with the league again or make a counter proposal.  That runs counter to the current player strategy.

Ultimately, agents have similar interests to fans: They just want a fair deal done quickly, with labor peace to follow.  Linta worries that this litigation strategy could wipe out the season, and he wonders if most players would really oppose the current NFL offer.

He thinks that top agents, who negotiate for a living, could help if they were kept in the loop.

“These guys are driving these players right off a cliff right now. I told a father of one of my players who got drafted, it’s 50-50 this season is not going to happen. These coaches are starting to go looney-toon too,” Linta said.

Permalink 101 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
101 Responses to “Agent: “These guys are driving these players right off a cliff””
  1. seabreezes51 says: May 25, 2011 9:57 AM

Actually, ALL of them are racing off that cliff.
    Owners and Players alike.

Killing the golden goose is not a “plan”

2. cuzidid42 says: May 25, 2011 9:59 AM

I think this is a great idea. Since there is no union, I think it time for the players to get involved themselves and make a decision. I say give a copy of the last propossal to allthe agents to present to thier clients and see where they stand.

3. bunjy96 says: May 25, 2011 9:59 AM

Finally!

Someone trying to make some sense out of this mess.

Just wonder how many players feel the same way but are concerned about opening their mouths.

4. bfloboom says: May 25, 2011 10:01 AM

De Smith, you are losing momentum. Not that you ever really had any, but if there was some its disappearing fast. You’ve survived this long by A) making the players think you know what you’re doing, and B) making them think all the owners are evil men trying to screw them over.
    Time to put your ego aside and negotiate the best deal you can before the players wise up and start coming at you with pitch forks

5. berniemadoffsides says: May 25, 2011 10:01 AM

I absolutely agree. You get guys like Rosenhaus in on this and you’d see some results quickly.

6. bigd9484 says: May 25, 2011 10:01 AM

Finally, who would have thought the agents would come in and make the when-it-wants-to-be union RESPOND to one of the two offers that have been made. Its called negotiating, you can’t say you’re negotiating if you haven’t filed a single counter-proposal. Man, agents… thats how crazy this has gotten. Owners, forward that proposal to all the agents, then you can really start undercutting destupid. Sign the deal without him, and have the players decide who is the new union head after its signed.

7. packattack1967 says: May 25, 2011 10:01 AM

I have said this many times, DeMaurice Smith is the wrong guy, in the wrong place at the wrong time. There are any number of people around the country that are riding or think they are riding on Mr. Obamas coattails. This guy is one of them. He neither has the players or the game of football and it’s fans as his number one priority.

8. smacklayer says: May 25, 2011 10:02 AM

More cracks forming. This is happening faster than I thought. Looks like some of the players and agents are actually starting to pay attention.

9. 8drinkminimum says: May 25, 2011 10:02 AM

Once the block of 400 or so players who are in free agent limbo band together with the draftees this deal will be made.

Smith and Kessler are running out of bullits.

10. jamaltimore says: May 25, 2011 10:02 AM

That would make too much sense. Since their is no more union what stops the league from sending the proposal directly to each and every player for their opinion. Unions thrive on keeping their own in the dark. Most are created to protect an uneducated workforce and in turn the heads of most unions MANIPULATE their members to blindly believe everything they say.

11. jimmysee says: May 25, 2011 10:02 AM

Makes no sense to me.

That sounds like an anti-trust violation.

Wow — talk about a “cartel.”

12. duster1982 says: May 25, 2011 10:04 AM

makes sense to me….which probably means it wont happen.

13. klunge says: May 25, 2011 10:05 AM

Ah, the untold story of how the poor agents have been adversely affected by this mess!

I’m sure this guy has ulterior motives (he makes no money if his clients don’t) but I still applaud the notions he has. At this time the players are independent and not part of a union, what really prevents them from forming their own negotiating committee and getting the major issues at least hammered out on a new CBA?

14. jerryrichardsonisadumbassmoron says: May 25, 2011 10:05 AM

if the owners think its a fair deal, why not just make it public? i should be able to search on google and find the offer, but apparently cannot. if agents cant see the offer, who can? im not trying to say the owners arent willing to show the offer, because this article doesnt explicitly state that, but if they arent willing to show the offer to parties willing to negotiate on the players behalf, there is definitely something fishy going on.

15. mightymightylafootball says: May 25, 2011 10:07 AM

“I would like Mr. Rooney to forward the offer to me. I represent two percent of the union, I’m not insignificant….Why can’t I get copy of this and disseminate it to my players?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thank. God.

Finally, somebody talks straight and begins to make sense.

And of all people, an agent. It’s the Apacolypse, folks – looks like May 21st came 4 days late.

16. fwippel says: May 25, 2011 10:08 AM

Like I’ve said here previously, the problem is Demaurice Smith, and his desire to come out of this with a ‘victory’. Smith couldn’t care less what the players want; if he did, he’d be negiotiating instead of fighting it out in court.

From the NFLPA’s point of view, this isn’t about the players anymore, it’s about Smith and his future plans. The sooner the players realize this and fire this guy, the sooner they can get back to the bargaining table and hammer out a deal.

Smith’s desire to fight this out in court is losing support amongst players, and he won’t be able to keep them all quiet for the rest of the summer. The players need to fire Smith NOW, for the good of their own careers and the future of the NFL.

17. polegojim says: May 25, 2011 10:10 AM

AMEN! Do it.

There is NO downside to this approach.

Both are being impossible. Grow up boys.

18. packulak says: May 25, 2011 10:10 AM

both sides need to be punished for being so petulant, however even if fans could organize and boycott at game or two, it would only harm the owners, ultimately only the fans get hosed and neither side cares in spite of the pathetic p.r. When did we decide that playing pro sports for a few years should mean that someone never has to work again?

19. jw731 says: May 25, 2011 10:12 AM

You can’t blame a guy for doing his job……His job are his clients…simple as that

20. willycents says: May 25, 2011 10:12 AM

Hmmm. Who would think that getting a NEGOTIATOR into the situation might help get a deal figured out? Surely none of us fans, right?

21. touchdownroddywhite says: May 25, 2011 10:13 AM

He killed them with the line, “I represent two percent of the union, I’m not insignificant.”

And that’s exactly why the NFLPA wont send him a copy of the offer. They don’t want all of the players knowing what’s on the table for fear that a majority will go public and say they don’t think it’s so bad.

At that point, the NFLPA would have forever lost the PR war that’s being waged, with no chance of recovery.

22. jdvallee says: May 25, 2011 10:13 AM

Careful Mr. Linta. If De Smith is serious about his threat to “go to the mattresses”, you can expect a newpaper wrapped fish in your in box any day now. No one speaks out against the family.

23. possiblecabbage says: May 25, 2011 10:13 AM

Could all agents come out and say this, please? And could the NFL oblige by distributing their offer appropriately to those who want to see it?

24. kspec1982 says: May 25, 2011 10:14 AM

DE Smith dosen’t want a deal to get done. He’s a media junkie and loves all the attention to be on him. If i was part of the players union i would get this guy out of here as quick as possible this guy is a joke.

25. realitypolice says: May 25, 2011 10:14 AM

The players did this to themselves.

I know most them aren’t geniuses, but you don’t have to be a genius to know that you don’t elect a trial litigator as your executive director if your goal is to keep things out of court.

Quite frankly, now that they have gone this far, the may as well wait for the 8th circuit to rule on the appeal. Assuming the court works quickly, which they’ve said they will, there will still be time to settle before the season starts.

But that is where the litigation MUST end. Whichever side loses in the 8th circuit MUST adjust their position in the wake of lost leverage.

Assuming they do that, and as I have said plenty of times I think they will, they can get it done.

26. armchairgm9 says: May 25, 2011 10:14 AM

Is there any reason that the League couldn’t circumvent the lawyers and distribute the proposal to agents/players themselves?

27. igor1984 says: May 25, 2011 10:15 AM

The only players who speak, for the most part, are the ones who ‘are set for life.’ They have contracts, they have money – they don’t care (much like the owners) too much what happens this year because they know they will be paid.

The MAJORITY of NFL players are guys who play for less than 4 years, NEVER get a huge contract (I’m not saying they don’t get very good compensation compared to the rest of us), and will eventually go on to some other ‘line of work’ – even if it’s as a coach, or some other aspect of football. These guys along with the rookies and fans are REALLY GETTING SCREWED OVER because of the moronic leadership of the NFLPA*.

Shakespeare had it right all along – “kill all the lawyers!”

28. rad312 says: May 25, 2011 10:24 AM

Unless there is a legal issue with releasing the latest proposal to the players and former player’s groups then I say release it. I am betting there is enough substance to the offer to get the attention of the players, agents, and retired player’s groups. All of which will lead to a push on the De Smith, Kessler, and the players to push for negotiations.

29. purpleguy says: May 25, 2011 10:25 AM

This “leverage” crap slays me. Based on the most recent order extending the injunction stay pending appeal, it’s clear the appellate court is leaning in the owner’s favor, so the union “leverage” fades daily as it becomes more apparent the lockout will continue and the NFL players start to splinter. It’s a whole hell of alot easier keeping 32 owners together than a couple thousand players (and their agents). Leverge ain’t gonna get this done — negotiation will — and time wears away at the players supposed leverage.

30. benh999 says: May 25, 2011 10:26 AM

This is exactly what the players signed up for when they decertified. If they are unsuccessful in the courts and DeBag is unsuccessful with Congressional intervention, the players will be far worse off than they would have been without decertifying.

31. bigd9484 says: May 25, 2011 10:27 AM

Does anyone know if the NFL had 90% of all current players and just drafted rookies at a symposium with their agents, all the agents and players had a copy of the proposal, and they held a vote that approves the CBA with 2/3 majority, why do they need the union heads? Is that legally possible for them to do?

32. leib15 says: May 25, 2011 10:27 AM

If this guy can actually pull this off, he’d be a semi-messiah in my book? Are individual players allowed to sign a new agreement? Will some players get different offers than the rest of the guys? Is this agent trying to put an end to the PA (if he is, he has my vote)? Whatever the case may be, this deserves credit, for actually standing up for and representing the best interest of his clients.

33. bluvayner says: May 25, 2011 10:28 AM

Let’s see………no income for the players …….no free agents negotiating new contracts……no drafted rookies getting their signing bonus……no undrafted rookies signing their contracts…….veteran players are calling their agent looking for a loan……..

What could the agent’s motive be in all of this?

What’s 3% of nothing?

34. jpmelon says: May 25, 2011 10:31 AM

It’s up to the NFL if they want to disclose this info……it’ll probably make DeMaurice Smith look like an idiot. I don’t know if that is in the NFLs best interest when they still want to negotiate with him.

35. willycents says: May 25, 2011 10:34 AM

Let me correct everyone who says that the NFLPA has not responded to the owners offers.(tongue in cheek)

They have responded to every offer the owners have made for two years with the following offers:

1. We are happy with the previous cba, so here it is as our response: Take the last cba and continue it with no modifications.

3. You owner bastards are not negotiating.

36. clintonportisheadd says: May 25, 2011 10:41 AM

“I’d like to see it myself so when I talk to my 45 guys, I can show them what it is – since there is no union,’’ Linta told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I would like Mr. Rooney to forward the offer to me. I represent two percent of the union, I’m not insignificant.”

———————-

2%? Wow!

About the only group of folks who have a less favorable rating than the owners would be agents. Whats the problem fellas? Having a hard time recouping the money you bribed the players with when they were in college?

Scum. Weasels.

37. Deb says: May 25, 2011 10:42 AM

Obviously the agents have a financial interest in resolving this dispute. But they also have an interest in protecting their players. So if they can get things moving again, let them give it a try. I’m on the players’ side, but that doesn’t mean I’m thrilled with the way their leadership has handled the situation so far. The only way to reach an agreement is through negotiation. The antitrust suits play into the hands of a minority of players and owners. But I don’t believe it’s what the majority want. Let’s see if the agents can bring this thing back to the negotiating table.

Gregg, if Linta is approaching Rooney for a copy of the last proposal, he must represent some Steeler players. Can you tell us who?

38. jeff061 says: May 25, 2011 10:44 AM

D. Smith will never let the players see the actual offer. THAT’S the problem – he re-positioning everything for his own gain

Thats why Goodell needs to continue to speak and communicate to the press and players

39. evrybdyhas1 says: May 25, 2011 10:45 AM

The lemmings are going to follow the rat over the cliff.

I hope they throw the rat off and use their human partially concussed brains to do a negotiated deal with the greedy idiots on the other side of the table.

40. killxswitch says: May 25, 2011 10:48 AM

bluvayner says: May 25, 2011 10:28 AM

What could the agent’s motive be in all of this?

What’s 3% of nothing?
    ———————–

So what? You haven’t uncovered some secret scandal, bud. Of course he wants to make money. DUH. Why wouldn’t he?

The way he makes money is via negotiation on behalf of his players. That is what he is trying to do. De Smith and his team of law dorks aren’t representing the players, so it makes sense for the agents to step in and do it.

41. seahawkhuskyfan says: May 25, 2011 10:48 AM

It is amazing that De Smith has been able to keep the players away from this information. Wouldn’t you think you would want to know what is going on? Most of these players can read, so you would think they would want to see what they are being offered.

42. sterling7 says: May 25, 2011 10:50 AM

Wow, does this ever make sense. Now Demaurice can go back to doing what he does best-coaching his daughter’s basketball team!

43. realitypolice says: May 25, 2011 10:58 AM

purpleguy says:
    May 25, 2011 10:25 AM
    =================================

If you don’t understand leverage, you don’t understand negotiation.

Right now, no matter what the league says publicly, they wouldn’t negotiate seriously anymore than the players would until the 8th circuit rules. Why would they?

You are right that it appears the 8th is leaning toward the owners. But the players have nothing to lose waiting for the ruling. Their leverage is not “fading daily”, they don’t have any.

And the only chance they have to get any now is to wait for the 8th to rule.

I’ve said many times, if the players had elected Troy Vincent two years ago, this deal would be done. But they’ve come too far down this path now. Three to four more weeks and they will know the result of their strategy. If they lose, that will be the time to change their position.

44. clintonportisheadd says: May 25, 2011 10:58 AM

Mr. Linta-

I worked with David Falk. I knew David Falk. I was friends with David Falk. And Mr. Linta-you are no David Falk.

45. lucky5934 says: May 25, 2011 11:00 AM

Well, the agents are financialy invested in this as well and thus will be trying to get as much money as they can. However, they also are smart enough to know that if a player doesn’t get paid, the agent doesn’t get paid. Still, if we got every agent involved, it would be overwhelming. But maybe the agents can unite and convice their representatives to come together and oust D. Smith and get their current player reps to handle this from here on out. Everyone wants to get a deal done but D. Smith.

46. vtsquirm says: May 25, 2011 11:03 AM

touchdownroddywhite says:
    May 25, 2011 10:13 AM

_____________________________

What NFLPA??? It doesn’t exist anymore. They decertified! Let the agents negotiate a deal!

47. winkeroni says: May 25, 2011 11:05 AM

It makes sense for the agents to push for this to end. Many of their clients aren’t under contract and they don’t get paid if their clients don’t get paid. Hopefully some other agents take a page out of Litna’s book.

I am trying to stay optimistic that this lockout will end. I keep telling myself Peyton Manning isn’t doing a million commercials he must think there is going to be a 2011 season.

48. joe6606 says: May 25, 2011 11:11 AM

kinda shocking how many employees of the owners are being ordered to vote up all the “pro-owner” comments on this board.

really guys, do you not have anything better to do? you’re embarassing yourselves.

49. eagiants says: May 25, 2011 11:11 AM

I’m liking what I’m reading this morning…I hope the players continue to voice their opinions throughout the day.

50. bigd9484 says: May 25, 2011 11:12 AM

___________________________________

Do you have an article or other proof that the players side responded with a formal proposal of using the last CBA? Otherwise it just kind of looks like you are talking out of your …

51. imjinbrdgr says: May 25, 2011 11:15 AM

This was posted at 9:51 this AM so hopefully Mr Rooney has already sent him a copy of the offer. There’s no reason not to since there is no union. This is the first thing I’ve read to get excited about since the Super Bowl. LETS GET THIS THING SETTLED!!!

52. eaglesfan290 says: May 25, 2011 11:20 AM

Does anyone else see a problem here? If the vast majority of Players have not read or been told about a deal, Agents haven’t been told or heard what is in both deals, and Agents feel they need to explain a deal to the players when they do see a deal then how does this get done?

I mean who does DeSmith represent?

I’m starting to get the feeling that DeSmith decertified the Union so he didn’t have to deal with player descent, and could do things anyway he wanted as much as try the Anti-Trust strategy.

If I was a player I would be pissed off to no end if the head of my Union first decertified, then handpicked a couple upper echelon players and filled a lawsuit on their behalf, and then kept me out of the loop. I mean I’m sorry this thing stinks of a couple egotistical lawyers lining their pockets, not representing his union members.

What exactly is the point to not responding to an offer…………..hmmmm lets see longer lockout more billable hours?

What exactly is the point to litigating from DeSmith’s perspective I mean he already knows he won’t win in the 8th circuit? Billable hours!

What is the point to the Lockout Insurance case? Billable hours

The way I see it the players, fans, owners, and all the people who make a living off the NFL are all getting screwed by the same small group of NFLPA lawyers. If you are a player ask DeSmith if he is willing to work for $1 like Rodger Godell ask all your lawyers to work for $1, I would love to see exactly how much principle they have!

I want to see how much both Kesseler and DeSmith make off of this case!

53. willycents says: May 25, 2011 11:21 AM

A stupid thought to ponder:
    At what point do the Brady, et al, plaintiffs drop their suit? Do they wait until the season has been delayed/cancelled or before that? Just thinking about their concerns about getting physically destroyed in the first games, playing behind an offensive line that could be pissed at them for contributing to the loss of their paychecks, and opposite a Defense that wants payback for missing checks? Or, will they let it play out, and then promptly retire, never playing another down in the NFL because they fear the above scenario?
    Said it was a stupid thought….lol…

54. jbcommonsense says: May 25, 2011 11:21 AM

I see no problem with players getting the insights of their agents, and then taking these points to the NFLPA. Agents, like everybody, have their own agenda, but at least their bread is buttered by serving the player’s financial interests.

55. klunge says: May 25, 2011 11:22 AM

A couple thoughts on this:
    1) In order for any CBA to get done, the union will have to recertify. What’s not getting much attention is the anti-trust suit against the league for all the provisions of the previous CBA the the NFL is attempting to keep intact after the decertification. The draft, free agency, & other rules adopted by all teams are considered “collusion” unless the Union agrees to them on behalf of all players. That’s “collective bargaining”.

2) This whole thing is a case of getting what you wanted and it’s not what you imagined it to be. It’s clear from his election the players also did not plan to negotiate. DeSmith obviously made these guys believe if they went to court they would pile-drive the owners into submission, shift the balance of power, get all the concessions they wanted, and all become fabulously wealthy. Sounded good, no doubt, but I’m sure he forgot to inform them of the potential pitfalls and drawbacks of his strategy which have reared their ugly heads. They may never admit it outright, but I’m sure some of these guys feel bamboozled and are now realizing the old way of working things out wasn’t so bad after all.

56. deadeye says: May 25, 2011 11:23 AM

Isn’t it sad that less than 2% of all players even know what has been offered by the NFL owners? This is typical union bs, keeping the workers in the dark while the union leadership becomes rich and powerful off the labor strife they helped to create.

I’m amazed that pro-union clowns still exist, but obviously they do.

57. zxcvbnmjhgfdsa says: May 25, 2011 11:24 AM

Apparently, Mr. Linta didn’t get the memo.

58. pkrjones says: May 25, 2011 11:27 AM

With agents doing the negotiating, though, you can kiss-goodbye any rookie “slotting” system for the top 10 draftees. THAT’S where the agents make a killing, and they’re not about to give that up. Slotting would, however, make a “star’s” 2nd contract VERY important… so the agent’s would need to latch-onto (or steal-away) their studs prior to that 2nd contract. Any way to get a new CBA…

59. tiredofthestupid says: May 25, 2011 11:29 AM

Yep, an agent whose only interest is singular (i.e. Me and mine) verses a collective bargaining agreement that would encompass more money for EVERYONE the agent could possibly represent.

But the agent wants it settled now, dammit.” I am looking out for MY players (i.e. MY bottom line)”

THIS is the problem with EVERYONE in this country. I want it and I want it NOW. Damn the consequences in the long term.

Health Care? F@#$ everyone else, I like it the way it is. (until I LOSE my healthcare…then there’s hell to pay)

Gov’t Spending? Cut everything that doesn’t directly affect me! Cut welfare but spare my farm subsidies and corporate tax breaks!!!

Let the two sides work it out. They will figure it out or go down the drain. The FREE MARKET system at its finest…Well, not counting all the socialist tax breaks for the rich owners and public funding for ridiculous stadiums.

Missing a few football games (or even a year), is one of the least important things going on right now in this world. If it is on, I will watch, if it isn’t, I will find something else to do.

Seriously, you’d think you were all a bunch of nerds in your mom’s basement arguing about Star Wars or something.

60. depotnator says: May 25, 2011 11:32 AM

Oh yeah, Mr.Agent…what a great idea. Most agents are lawyers, and THAT group of lawyers definitely has their own interests at heart. They bend the rules as much as they can, and with no rules, expect them to turn the players into a pretzel of the agents’ wishes.

61. sportjd says: May 25, 2011 11:32 AM

I wouldn’t have Joe Linta represent me if my dog bit an elephant!! When he first got in the business he charged lower fees and called himself the “Wal Mart” of the agent business. Problem was his contracts matched his price…low low low compared to the market. He wasn’t around in the tough economic times.He’s the last guy among agents who should have any involvement…sounds like he’s the one panicing…must have spent a lot of money on the rookies,,,,google a Ralph Cindrich quote about hin back in late 80’s-early 90’s. Grow some Joe…owners love to see quotes like yours!

62. PFTiswhatitis says: May 25, 2011 11:32 AM

Given that there is no union and the negotiations are halted for the time being, the league ought to send its latest offer to each and every player so that they can evaluate the offer for themselves. The worst that can happen is they dont read it, but maybe they will and maybe they will go back to their leadership and tell them “hey it is not bad. Lets get a few things tied up and do a deal already.”

63. clintonportisheadd says: May 25, 2011 11:32 AM

deadeye says: May 25, 2011 11:23 AM

———————–

Isn’t it sad that that someone makes up a fact (only 2% of all players know whats been offered) and thinks no one will call him out an his source for such a laughable lie?

I’m amazed the pro owner clowns ever existed but I guess a few do (I don’t include the not yet laid off team employees directed to post pro owner comments to this site)

64. steel086 says: May 25, 2011 11:35 AM

packattack1967

What does PRESIDENT OBAMA, (not Mr. Obama) have to do with DeMaurice Smith. becoause they both are _____. You fill in the blank. This is not a RACE issue it a business.

65. depotnator says: May 25, 2011 11:36 AM

BTW, who among the owner shills here thinks that all owners support the league’s official position including the lockout? The league is afraid to have owners meet with players without the NFL’s lawyers present. The players offered to negotiate without lawyers, but the league refused.

66. danerdane says: May 25, 2011 11:37 AM

Who would win in a game of jeopardy – Mawae, De Smith or Eric Winston? Answer…they would all complain, instead of answering any questions digging themselve into an insurnmountable hole, Mawae would say that the game is rigged, De Smith would tell Alex Trebek “You Suck” while the music was playing and Winston would poke himself in the eye with the buzzer.

At least, if they carried there current behavior over into this scenario.

67. vahawker says: May 25, 2011 11:39 AM

Wait…the players HAVEN’T SEEN THE PROPOSAL?!?!
    Carry on DeMoron supporters, carry on.

68. skinsfaninnebraska says: May 25, 2011 11:44 AM

If the union decertified then it no longer exists, right? So, why shouldn’t the players hear directly from the league?

Linta is on the right track here. The players should never have hired a trial lawyer to run the union. Trials are about winning or losing, not negotiation.

69. depotnator says: May 25, 2011 11:45 AM

“Given that there is no union and the negotiations are halted for the time being, the league ought to send its latest offer to each and every player so that they can evaluate the offer for themselves.”

Great idea…and then allow each team’s players take the NFLPA*’s counteroffer and negotiate directly with each individual owner. When the owner’s meet, they will have an informed opinion on the players offer rather that being told by the league’s lawyers what the players want. Once each team owner and their players get on the same page, it becomes an argument between owners. The revenue sharing argument between owners is omething the league has successfully kepy behind closed doors, but it is the elephant in any CBA negotiating session.

70. zxcvbnmjhgfdsa says: May 25, 2011 11:46 AM

“These guys are driving these players right off a cliff.” – Linta

‘Mr. Smith is driving this bus right off the cliff.’ – zxcv/May 23.

At least he reads PFT.

71. skinsfaninnebraska says: May 25, 2011 11:46 AM

That should have read *winning or losing through accusation and persuasion, not negotiation.

72. duanethomas says: May 25, 2011 11:47 AM

Here we go. This agent hasn’t anticapted or planned for the lockout. He can not afford to miss his commission checks, so of course he wants his 45 guys to take a deal, any deal. Wait until he see’s that rookie cap, that basically takes away easy guaranteed money out his pocket. The 6 years until free agency and a cap on earning potential. I put this clown in the same catergory as Cromartie. Everything that is said is motivated by money.

73. radrntn says: May 25, 2011 11:49 AM

well at least somebody makes sense.

74. packattack1967 says: May 25, 2011 11:57 AM

steel086 says: May 25, 2011 11:35 AM

packattack1967

______________________

They’re friends. Look it up. You can type ‘black’ its ok. You’re wrong, but its ok to type it.

75. willycents says: May 25, 2011 11:58 AM

steel086 says:May 25, 2011 11:35 AM

packattack1967

———————————————-

100% agree.

begin rant/
    Personal politics has nothing to do with this. Purely a labor issue that too many here take personal and cannot discuss in a non-emotional manner, but instead must resort to political statements and insults to the other side of the discussion, which totally destroys any credence they provided in their comments.
    Assuming that, because some people are in favor of the owners that they are “paid” to post borders upon total lack of intelligence and a desire to eliminate the first amendment for anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint.
    I think it is an indication of a tremendous insecurity in the beliefs which people using that demeaning tactic have in their own intelligence and their ability to coherently express there reasons for believing as they do. It makes them sound like a bunch of 12 year old girls who THINK they know all the truths of life and are too wrapped up in their hormones to think or behave in a logical and reasonable manner/rant

76. nflfan101 says: May 25, 2011 12:00 PM

To Agent Joe Linta all I can say is Amen!

77. willycents says: May 25, 2011 12:02 PM

depotnator says:May 25, 2011 11:36 AM

—————————————————

please supply a link to your assertion. I have never seen that particular storyline.

78. Ty @ The Lions in Winter says: May 25, 2011 12:02 PM

“jimmysee says:
    May 25, 2011 10:02 AM

If there’s no union, then why is the union negotiating on behalf of the players?”

They AREN’T. That’s why owners are all in a twist saying “we need to get back to the table. They can’t. There’s no table anymore.

“Makes no sense to me.

That sounds like an anti-trust violation.

Wow — talk about a ‘cartel’.”

You should probably invest in a dictionary. Or, just Google “antitrust law” or “cartel.” These words, they do not mean what you think they mean.

Peace
    Ty

79. grpatriot says: May 25, 2011 12:08 PM

Lemmings…………follow each other off the cliff.
    For a reason no one can comprehend, they just start running!
    What the Player’s need is an old fashion village mob with pitchforks, torches….Finally get a hold of the Frankenstien Monster known as De Smith.
    Maybe then this story will have a happy ending?

80. hikohadon says: May 25, 2011 12:09 PM

3. You owner bastards are not negotiating.
    __________

THAT is not negotiating. THAT is drawing a line in the sand and not moving from it for any reason. THAT is saying “We want it the way we want it, we don’t care if you don’t like it, nanny nanny boo boo.”

Maybe you feel that it is the players’ right to say “Old CBA or Bust”, but no way in heel is that any kind of “negotiation”.

81. bucngator says: May 25, 2011 12:13 PM

eaglesfan:

I want to see how much both Kesseler and DeSmith make off of this case!

___________________________________

Brilliant……. De Smith…. Open YOUR books!!

82. southmo says: May 25, 2011 12:14 PM

As PFT and most sensible people have been saying for months, until the two parties get back to the table and start really negotiating, this thing is in danger of going nowhere at best, and blowing up at worst.

So any move by a professional negotiator, or any move by the players to get the two parties to the negotiating table is extremely welcome news. Many knowledgeable people have already noted the two sides aren’t all that far apart.

It IS amazing that the non-unionized players association has no interest in sharing the owners latest proposal with their members. Obviously when you have a litigator at the head of your union, you get a litigation strategy complete with hyperbolic news conferences and interviews. Yay…. (sigh)

I would LOVE for an actual negotiator to have a crack at it.

83. radrhatr says: May 25, 2011 12:22 PM

As much as I hate to see another ambulance chaser involved, I do think it’s a good idea for ALL of the players to see the proposals, instead of taking Dee Smith’s word that it isn’t a good deal.

My guess is that by July, the players will be in the process of staging a mutiny. Dee Smith is trying to gain a name, by ruining professional football.

Can you “Dig it”?

84. bucfandango says: May 25, 2011 12:24 PM

It would be great to see the players break ranks, band together and sign a new CBA. And then stick De Smith with NFLPA legal bills. Oooh Yeahh!!! All hail the Macho Man!

85. willycents says: May 25, 2011 12:30 PM

hikohadon says:May 25, 2011 12:09 PM

3. You owner bastards are not negotiating.
    __________

———————–

Whoops on my part. Forgot to add the /sarcasm

My bad and my apologies for the error

86. hounddogjohnny says: May 25, 2011 12:32 PM

Where is Gene Upshaw when you need him? He would have had the deal done by now.

87. sneaky1632 says: May 25, 2011 12:50 PM

Where is Gene Upshaw when you need him? He would have had the deal done by now.
    —————————————————
    He was too busy making sure his widow got millions of dollars of the players money.

88. willycents says: May 25, 2011 12:56 PM

hounddogjohnny says:May 25, 2011 12:32 PM

Where is Gene Upshaw when you need him? He would have had the deal done by now.
    ——————————————————-

he is lying face down in his grave at the thought of what the litigators are trying to do to his beloved sport

89. sneaky1632 says: May 25, 2011 12:59 PM

I dont know much about DeSmith or his personal ajenda, but it appears he had zero interest in negotiating or football in general.

90. steel086 says: May 25, 2011 1:17 PM

steel086 says: May 25, 2011 11:35 AM

packattack1967

______________________

_______________________________

Well Pack,

Support your argument that they are Friends. I submit that all black people are not friends.

Waiting.

91. whags334 says: May 25, 2011 1:24 PM

The problem begins and ends with DE Smith. He is going to drag this out as long as possible, because when they strike a deal, he becomes an insignificant little man again. This is his fifteen minutes of fame and he is going to drag it out as long as possible. He is a little man and has shown that he has a little Napoleonic complex since this started. The owners could give the players everything they want and Smith would figure out a way to drag this out an extra month. Years ago, when he was first brought in, he was already talking about a work stoppage. He never had any intention to strike a deal and avoid the work stoppage.

Another thing, I am sick of hearing morons on ESPN and the NFL network saying we haven’t missed anything yet. B.S., anyone who is an NFL fan knows that the off season is a tremendously important aspect in the NFL. Some teams don’t even have a starting lineup, because so many FA’s are unsigned. Fans are in limbo like everyone else, three or four FA’s can make a teams season. I don’t need stinky telling me we don’t have to worry about anything until we miss games, WE ARE MISSING PLENTY RIGHT NOW!!! And don’t think the NFL won’t find a way to still make us pay full price for two pre-season EXHIBITION games, even if they have to start the regular season two weeks late so they can get all our money. HEY NFL, THERE IS AN IMPORTANT DATE COMING UP, 9/11/2011, IT WOULD BE A REAL SHAME IF THE NFL WASN’T PLAYING FOOTBALL THAT SUNDAY AND HONORING ALL THE VICTIMS OF THE ATTACKS!!

92. packattack1967 says: May 25, 2011 1:46 PM

steelo86 – I asked you to look it up. Its everywhere and I have commented on the subject numerous times. As a side, I live in Chicago, there are any number of hangers on from the failed Olympics on down that were riding on the presidents coattails. I am not saying theres anything wrong with that necessarily. But as we see this guy stonewalling more and more, his motivation is becoming clearer and clearer and its not getting a deal done. Its bringing the owners to their knees.

from Wikipedia:

Smith previously served as Counsel to then-Deputy Attorney General Eric Holder in the U.S. Department of Justice before entering private practice. His duties revolved around national security issues, congressional relations, and DOJ budget and finance allocation.

93. snnyjcbs says: May 25, 2011 1:55 PM

Any time you get Lawyers involved it becomes all about them and that is why the Players were FOOLS for ever putting the Jerk they put in to run the Union.

These idiots do not know that using the Courts it could go on for YEARS, the Owners win this Court Date coming up and you can write off this season unless they cave to owners as they will hold almost no Leverage.

Lawyers are really some of the dumbest people living, 9 out of 10 women I wake up with end up telling me they are Married to a Lawyer, not only are most really dumb they cannot F either and are premature, you know.

94. whags334 says: May 25, 2011 2:18 PM

99% of what the DOJ does now is national security…so that is nothing big. Sure he is not your average Joe, otherwise he wouldn’t have been picked by the players. However, being part of AG Holder’s cabinet is nothing to brag about, he will undoubtedly go down as one of the worst AG’s in history, he selectively enforces the laws on the books and ignores the ones that don’t fit Obama’s agenda. Smith knows he will fade into anonymity when this is over and he is fiercely dragging this out at the expense of the players and fans.

95. nflfan101 says: May 25, 2011 2:19 PM

packattack1967 says: May 25, 2011 1:46 PM

from Wikipedia:

——————————————–

Contrary to what we have been led to believe, it doesn’t look like he has any litigation experience at all. It looks like he has simply relied on others to do the real work while he was a “rainmaker”.

96. duanethomas says: May 25, 2011 4:55 PM

Give me all the thumbs down you can muster, I could give a flying rats arse. Joe needs to STFU, DeMaurice Smith is looking out for the longterm welfare of the players. Once they can no longer generate income you are done with them Joe. You should have prepared and forewarned your players there would be the possibility of games missed in this labor war. You want to take a look at the latest offer? For What? So you can tell your guys this is a good deal and you wont miss your 3%….. Agents, thats the last people who need to be invited to this circus, there are enough clowns on each side now.

97. voyager6 says: May 25, 2011 8:05 PM

@jimmysee says:May 25, 2011 10:02 AM

Makes no sense to me.

That sounds like an anti-trust violation.
    ——————————————————

Actually is racketeering.

98. voyager6 says: May 25, 2011 8:09 PM

I think this is a wonderful idea. If every player has a copy of the proposal, then the next time the NFLPA* declares it ‘the worst offer ever’, the players will know who is telling the truth.

However, just remember who certifies the agents…. the NFLPA. If too many agents threaten to steal the NFLPA*’s thunder, there will be threats of decertification or other acts of retribution to get the agents back in line.

99. commandercornpone says: May 25, 2011 9:11 PM

duh just wants to pontificate and get his former employer bam to help him out. it’s all about him and to hell with the players. he has never made any counter offer or attempted to renegotiate. if he had, we all would have heard about it (cause THAT would have been news.).

290 and biged made great points.

i would surmise most agents have kept quiet because they figure duh would try to give them fits. now, the need for cash outstrips any fear of the vastly overrated duh. just like for some players.

100. lawboy2000 says: May 26, 2011 3:56 AM

DeMaurice Smith is a weasel.

Troy Vincent would have carried the day for the players and everyone would be getting ready for training camps right now if he had not been squeezed out.

Mr. Upshaw is rolling over in his grave.

101. vetdana says: May 29, 2011 6:33 PM

[2. Ten years of your raw financial data, including non-football data, or we will not discuss anything.

3. You owner bastards are not negotiating.]

This sounds like a player who is finacially “set for life” !
    How about being democratic and let ….ALL the players ….vote on whether or not to start re-negotiaions sans Demo Smith? I am betting your team mates would rather negotiate than lose the season without pay !