Braylon Edwards makes good on Cleveland scholarship promise

Braylon Edwards

Unlike the fictional former Regional Manager of Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton branch, who promised a slew of college scholarships and ultimately delivered only laptop batteries, Jets receiver Braylon Edwards has made good on a vow to provide college tuition to a group of 100 eighth-grade students in Cleveland in 2007.

Edwards promised $1 million in academic scholarship money toward tuition, in exchange for a commit by the students to provide 15 hours annually of community service and to maintain a grade-point average of 2.5 or better.

Via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Edwards broke the news on Twitter today.

“As the 2nd most hated man in Clev. & a man of my word,” Edwards said, “today I will honor a promise made to 100 students in Cleveland years ago.  The last of my Advance 100 students will graduate from my program and head off to college on scholarships that I will provide them with.  Guys enjoy & embrace your new beginnings and remember your promise to me, to reach back & help someone else along the way.”

Edwards has been a polarizing figure, both in Cleveland and in New York.  We’ve got a feeling he’ll continue to inspire equal parts love and hatred.  For today, however, there are only good things to be said about a man from Michigan who managed to do some good for the Ohio city that embraced him — and eventually rejected him.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Braylon Edwards makes good on Cleveland scholarship promise”
  1. thephantomstranger says: May 25, 2011 3:37 PM

That’s awesome. I hope the students wrote a song for him.

2. bleedgreen says: May 25, 2011 3:40 PM

Hey Mr Bray, whatchya gonna do? Whatchya gonna do, make our dreams come true.

3. seatown12 says: May 25, 2011 3:41 PM

YEAH!!! hell of a guy

4. dietrich43 says: May 25, 2011 3:41 PM

Does the scholarship require the students to drop their diploma during the graduation ceremony?

5. rushbacker says: May 25, 2011 3:46 PM

Still think the guy’s an asshat, but you gotta give him props on this for doing some good in the world.

6. aaronrodgersbelt says: May 25, 2011 3:46 PM

Good on him. Nice job, Braylon.

7. ryanclark25 says: May 25, 2011 3:47 PM

Kudos Braylon

8. purplescar says: May 25, 2011 3:47 PM

thx for a nice headline Braylon, hey PFT find me some more blurbs like this and MAYBE I won’t drift too far away from the NFL.

9. davekiid says: May 25, 2011 3:48 PM

Like Scott Fujita said on PFT Live today, we need more stories of this nature, way to go Braylon!

10. pacificamjr says: May 25, 2011 3:48 PM

…as braylon was handed the big cartoon check to hand out, it slipped through his hands and he dropped it. JUST SAYIN’

11. rcali says: May 25, 2011 3:49 PM

Great gesture. Let’s hope even half of those kids keep their side of the bargain.

In other news, Ichiro Suzuki pledged scholarship money to Japanese students who keep a 3.5 grade point average.

12. cincinnasti says: May 25, 2011 3:49 PM

We need more stories like this!

13. berniemadoffsides says: May 25, 2011 3:50 PM

Good for you, Braylon.

And yes, I’d have to imagine Braylon’s a very distant second to Lebron in Cleveland now-a-days….

14. maddenprophet says: May 25, 2011 3:52 PM

A man’s true character was displayed here… Poor choices considered, Mr. Edwards should be measured a better person by this commitment to higher education and personal achievement. I applaud you, Man of Michigan!

15. hotpappyjohnson says: May 25, 2011 3:54 PM

good thing he didnt pull a ‘scotts tots” on those kids

16. aaa82 says: May 25, 2011 3:55 PM

He should have given them laptop batteries…

17. bears354 says: May 25, 2011 3:55 PM

I give him props for keeping his promise. Great job Braylon.

However, he thinks an awful lot of himself. I live in NE Ohio and I can tell you that Cleveland fans couldn’t give two craps about this guy. He’s not even in the top 20 most hated. But, like I said, he did a good thing here.

18. oldassgoat1 says: May 25, 2011 3:57 PM

Props to Mr. Edwards for honoring his commitment. Once again, however, he thinks more of himself than others do. He is NOT the 2nd most hated man in Cleveland – at best, he is 3rd, behind *spit* Modell and *hack, hack* LeBron, and that is being generous. The Diva attitude is why you wore out your welcome in Cleveland, a city that desperately wanted to embrace you. We simply could not handle any more of your New York “essence” nor your lil boyfriend. Sashay away, Bray-bray!

19. 2mannings1cup says: May 25, 2011 3:57 PM

Just don’t follow the JETS way, make it to your senior year in college and choke before you graduate.

20. beeker24 says: May 25, 2011 4:03 PM

He’s the second most hated man in Cleveland? Do you think he is putting himself ahead of Lebron or Art Modell? In any case, it’s a great gesture on his part.

21. harleyrider1973 says: May 25, 2011 4:09 PM

i think I just changed my opinion of the man. Good for you Braylon for sticking with your word and helping some kids go to school that would otherwise probably not be able to. You have changed their lives forever, thumbs up to you Sir.

22. hit2hurt says: May 25, 2011 4:17 PM

Even if you don’t like the man, you’ve got to respect the gesture.. I like the way he puit it: “Guys enjoy & embrace your new beginnings and remember your promise to me, to reach back & help someone else along the way”.

23. gallogj says: May 25, 2011 4:26 PM

Speaking from a man who had the pleasure to shake Braylon’s hand once…I’d have to disagree with him on this. The order of hatred would go…

1. LePunk
    2. Modell
    3. Steelers (Past, Present and Future)
    4. Braylon (A. because he’s from Michigan. B. Because he dropped more balls than a professional bowler. C. Because he decided to move his charitable efforts to Michigan when he got mad at how he was being treated in Ohio.

24. hikohadon says: May 25, 2011 4:36 PM

I’m definitely not a fan of the guy, but that was a class move, and should be recognized.

And I’m shocked that you can just “give” to charity. No one told me that was an option. I thought you had to star in some kind of self-serving reality show about yourself on ESPN and try to defend it by “sending” the proceeds to charity.

25. adeedothatswho says: May 25, 2011 4:41 PM

Don’t hate on Michael Scott. Those batteries were lithium….

26. hikohadon says: May 25, 2011 4:41 PM

The order of hatred would go…

1. LePunk
    2. Modell
    3. Steelers (Past, Present and Future)
    _________

Modell will ALWAYS be #1, my friend. The others aren’t even close.

27. mymorningstory says: May 25, 2011 4:42 PM

It’s a shame more people don’t do this kind of thing for college students.

I could have really used some college help!

28. effjohntaylornorelation says: May 25, 2011 4:51 PM

To have a through understanding of what type of person Braylon edwards is read this first line from his tweet: “As the 2nd most hated man in Clev.

29. sftitan says: May 25, 2011 4:55 PM

Why did my comment get deleted where all I asked if a 2.5 GPA is really enough of a requirement for getting a scholarship??

30. hawkeye6 says: May 25, 2011 5:00 PM

Good job, Braylon. Regardless of his other issues which are self inflicted, he has a big heart. He has always had, and probably always will.

31. Sandra Lee's Cans says: May 25, 2011 5:25 PM

I heard the scholarships are only good at the Tool Academy.

32. buckybadger says: May 25, 2011 5:41 PM

Good thing otherwise they would have become Scott’s Tots on the Office.

In all seriousness this is just plain awesome. Gave the kids a goal and made them accountable for themselves and now they will be rewarded. Way to go Edwards. Still doesn’t make up for that whole going to Michigan thing but it is an amazing gesture.

If more people gave back like this the world would be a better place. One person just gave 100 a chance to better themselves.

33. cmich2006 says: May 25, 2011 5:50 PM

Braylon >>>>>>>Michael Scott

34. chubbybeerswiller says: May 25, 2011 5:52 PM

I fully agree that it’s awesome he did this, but I can’t help but wonder if it’s also an “image improver.” He’s a free agent, and a lot of people think he’s a diva. Better image = mo’ money.

I’m not saying it’s the only reason he did it, because that’s a ton of money for an image improvement. But if I was doing something like that, I wouldn’t broadcast it, I’d just do it because it’s a good thing to do… just saying.

35. denverhighrize says: May 25, 2011 6:12 PM

Helo, me nam iz Braylen Edwhads. Pleeze njoyz mi skaloship, u one dayz wil b aable to b az edgicated lik me

36. nyjalleffingday says: May 25, 2011 6:20 PM

From an earlier thread: “Could a fan of the 2012 World Champion Jets please explain why they’d want this bum on the team?”

Well, now you know.

37. bebopa says: May 25, 2011 8:27 PM

people try to make this guy a villian, but he is just like a lot of young athletes today. He is a good guy,hes made mistakes but he shouldnt be seen as a convict. THats why Cleveland, the Browns, Cavs, Indians and their fans are so bad and probably wont get any better any time soon. Edwards is better than any reciever they have as of now. As was Kam Wimbley who flourished in Oakland. A once proud franchise(the Browns) are now just a punchline.

38. pspring63 says: May 25, 2011 8:42 PM

As a Michigan man, well done Mr. Edwards, well done.

As for most “hated” status in Cleveland, there is one man and one man only that holds that distinction… Mr. Modell

39. Ricardo Grande says: May 25, 2011 9:41 PM

I wonder if the scholarship offer excluded midgets…

40. snakeman40 says: May 25, 2011 9:55 PM

As a Browns fan for longer than most of you have been alive (46 yrs), I stand up and applaud you, Mr. Edwards! A class gesture when you made it and a class gesture to follow through on it.

41. thedudesnotin says: May 26, 2011 6:52 PM

Nice gesture by Braylon Edwards.

I don’t take sports as personally as some fans do.The guy was very young with the Browns, and maybe this is his way to give back to the community in his own way.

Of course, the cynic in me could say it has something to do with his arrest by the NY police or also the fact that he is a free agent. Nice PR moves as it were.

But then again, the owners may come back and say apparently the players don’t need more money since they can afford to just give it away.