Clinton Portis wants to play against the Redskins

File photo of Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis taking break during their NFL game against the St. Louis Rams in Landover Reuters

Earlier this year, the Redskins released running back Clinton Portis.  And now Portis wants to continue his career by tormenting the Redskins.

Specifically, he wants to play for the Giants.

“To go to the Giants and get to play the Redskins twice a year after them feeling I wasn’t capable any more, I think that would be outstanding,” Portis told Bryan McGovern and Maurice Jones-Drew of SiriusXM NFL Radio’s Late Hits with MJD, via Rich Tandler of CSNWashington.com.

If not the Giants, Portis would like to play for another team in the NFC East, the division to which the Redskins are assigned.

His first choice apparently was the Saints, but he realizes that they simply don’t have a need for his services.  “I’m from Mississippi and I grew up a life long Saints fan and I really felt like that was the perfect situation to go into,” he said. “They went and drafted a running back, I think that he’s going to do great in that system.”

Portis leaves Washington as the franchise’s second all-time leading rusher.  Despite two straight injury-plagued seasons, he is only 77 short of 10,000 total career yards.

Currently 26th on the all-time list, the 29-year-old Portis could finish in the top 10 with a couple of additional quality seasons.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
51 Responses to “Clinton Portis wants to play against the Redskins”
  1. jahbird says: May 25, 2011 10:24 AM

Dollah Bill needs to shut his fat mouth, or I’m gonna get coach SouthEast Jerome to shut it for him.

2. redskinspike says: May 25, 2011 10:24 AM

Clinton Portis is a washed up, injury-prone RB. I don’t see any team giving him anything more than a 1-yr contract and a couple mil. That being said, I’m sure he will go to the Giants, and just like Devin Thomas he’ll probably have his only good game of the season against the Redskins.

3. phinheads says: May 25, 2011 10:25 AM

Gotta love how his main objective is to play against the Skins twice a year and not necessisarily join a Super Bowl contender. ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME

4. willycents says: May 25, 2011 10:26 AM

Maybe he should consider returning to the Broncos. He is better injured and on the bench than what they have available.

5. yzguy431 says: May 25, 2011 10:33 AM

he needs to wear a wristband.

6. jw731 says: May 25, 2011 10:37 AM

Hell…….he’s only 29?….Seems like he’s about 50…..Seriously……

7. shaggytoodle says: May 25, 2011 10:37 AM

Well if he wanted to stick it to Washington, maybe he could mustard up a 4 TD game against them.

That would be the same amount of TDs he has produced for Wash. in the last 2 seasons.

8. clintonportisheadd says: May 25, 2011 10:37 AM

I hope he catches on with another team.

9. blackshirtz says: May 25, 2011 10:43 AM

Just tossed your jersey in the trash. Good riddance. You were nothing but a problem anyway!

10. karlpilkington says: May 25, 2011 10:46 AM

Clinton ohh Clinton, you have not seen the field in 2 years. You would not have accepted less to stay in DC, but you want to go to Giants and they will pay you veteran minimum. I ask you, does that make sense. The Saints? please! You were a lifelong fan? Sooooo when the Saints were NOT a very good team you were a fan. Go grab your oxygen mask after a yard run! Exactly phinheads MEMEMEMEME, that is exactly how it has been with him.

11. hpeters77 says: May 25, 2011 10:49 AM

TO: Portis WHO DAT

12. baddegg says: May 25, 2011 10:50 AM

Clinton had some good years for the Skins, but with his performance and injury history over the past few years, how can he blame them for wanting to get younger at RB? I wish him well, but I hardly think he got “screwed.” This is just kind of a typical cycle for RBs who are starting to wear out.

13. karlpilkington says: May 25, 2011 10:50 AM

I am sorry guys but I just read the article about what sheriff gonna getya said. He blames the media for the fact that the team could not win. WOW, I must have missed when the media was blocking, catching, passing showing up to practice calling plays, etc. etc. etc.

Portis you are delusional. Retire, you took to many blows to the head.

14. waitingguilty says: May 25, 2011 10:51 AM

Is there anything more tired than when players who get cut roll out the “I want to stay in the division” card?

I’m a huge Skins fan, loved Portis, but frankly it would be a strategic advantage to face him 2X a year. He’s done. Great blocker, great effort guy, but he’s just not going to hurt you with the ball anymore.

Sign him East!

15. vendictar says: May 25, 2011 10:58 AM

This just in: [Insert name of cut player] has chip on shoulder, wants to prove that [insert team name] was wrong to cut him.

I see this story about 7-10 times every off-season :P

16. goawayeverybody says: May 25, 2011 11:00 AM

If Clinton Portis wants to play against the Redskins, he would have to stay healthy for more than two games in a row.

17. seahawkhuskyfan says: May 25, 2011 11:10 AM

Portis needs to ask his agent for a copy of the latest deal presented to De Smith. Get educated, know what is going on. Spend less time talking and more time reading.

18. weneedlinemen42 says: May 25, 2011 11:20 AM

He better pick a team that plays the ‘Skins early in the season or he’ll be on injured reserve before he gets his chance.

He was the Redskins offense for four years but his body has broken down. Unfortunately his sense of entitlement hasn’t. He put up big stats but was never a superstar. Yet, that was how he was paid.

It is hard to see why he would harbour significant resentment. The gave him huge contracts, which kept him around for at least two years longer than his performance came close to justifying.

Last year, he got injured early, but Shanahan held off putting him on injured reserve for weeks. They gave him the opportunity to come back and set the franchise mark, when they should have put him on IR straight away.

19. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: May 25, 2011 11:25 AM

Dream on CP. I think the Giants learned their lesson with Lavar Arrington.
    Lavar said the same thing, the G-men picked him up and he didn’t do jack squat!
    By the way Lavar, you’re horrible on the radio and so is your little sidekick-whatever his name is.

20. boysroll says: May 25, 2011 11:33 AM

doesnt everybody find it interesting that players that leave the 4skins have such bitterness against them. Rogers, Portis, Pierce and many many more.

Sounds like a employee oriented place to work LMAO. No wonder this team finishes in last place yr to yr as they are so dysfunctional internally. Starts with weasel boy owner and trickles down to weasel jr coaching this train wreck. LMAO.

21. BlackAndGoldAllDay says: May 25, 2011 11:40 AM

Even without Ingram, wouldn’t want Portis on the Saints. Last thing they need is another injury prone RB.

22. weneedlinemen42 says: May 25, 2011 11:42 AM

One of the things that has been patently clear for years is that the Giants front office is pretty good at drafting running backs.

Dallas and Philly are also deep in young, drafted running backs. No one in the East is signing Portis.

The real pity for the Skins is that if there is no training camp it will be difficult to for us to choose between all the young backs we’ve got at the moment. Considering we started last year’s training camp with Portis, Larry Johnson and Willy Parker on the roster, our current situation of having more young backs than we can possibly fit on the roster looks like real progress.

Here’s hoping that one or two of them turn out to be good pro’s. I’d like to see Helu, Royster and Keiland Williams make it. Torrain is a bit too streaky for me and has had a lot of injuries for someone with so few carries.

23. willycents says: May 25, 2011 11:43 AM

@ boysroll

Not a skins fan, but, please enlighten us as to the ‘Boys great accomplishments over the last decade. By acclamation the biggest collection of great players in the NFL(per themselves, their fans and the media) performing how well? What was there record last year, super bowl winners, right? They have won how many playoff games in the last ten years? They are already projected to win the super bowl this year(by their fans and players). Please enlighten us oh mighty seer on how they plan to do all this.

24. skinsfan1981 says: May 25, 2011 11:46 AM

Number 1 this is why this guy is gone, he only cares about himself. I like team guys, plus he’s too old at this point. Second @boysroll, really, you want to talk about the Skins when your Cowboys went 6-10 also and have won the same amount of playoff games in the last 13 years as us? Not to mention Danny just wants to be like Jerry who is waaayyy overrated as an owner and because he still wants to play gm. It was Jimmy Johnson that brought you 3 superbowls in the 90′s, not Jones. If Jones doesn’t step back soon, you’ll have more strife than us internally, due to the fact it looks like Snyder has finally turned the corner and is just the owner now.

25. dirtydrynn27 says: May 25, 2011 11:50 AM

Boysroll says the Redskins are a train wreck,However they finished 6 & 10 just like his Cowboys……Classic Pot and Kettle!!!….Please tell me how Dallas is better because Im not seeing it.

26. adogdc says: May 25, 2011 11:53 AM

I was big Portis supporter. Still am. But this comment is disappointing, but I can understand since I was in the minority of liking the guy.

He was at a Comedy Show at Constitution Hall, and Mike Epps called his name and everyone booed him. So, I guess it may be just a mutual decesion, he wasn’t coming back at his Reggie Bush like salary.

27. skinsfaninnebraska says: May 25, 2011 12:04 PM

Every player who either gets cut or traded wants to play against his former team. No big deal.

CP is just talking, as usual.

28. boysroll says: May 25, 2011 12:19 PM

typical 4skin chatter….you guys cant analyze anything if your life depended on it. Our starting QB got injured and with a second stringer Garrett could have won every game the second half of the season with the coaching change. We compete in the NFC EAST dopes as we have won many more times than you joke of org the last 20 yrs.

We have some positives to build off…what do you have? You have a Leave it to Beaver Clone (Grossman) possibly leading this sinking ship or some musician named John Beck LMAO.

Face it…Last place again and get used to it. LMAO.

29. jodave5 says: May 25, 2011 12:19 PM

This guy is a clown.Recall some of his classic takes on dog fighting. “it’s just dogs”.

30. digirootune says: May 25, 2011 12:20 PM

As a Skins fan, we run across Cowboys fans all the time. Even though I HATE DALLAS, I love to talk football. I’ve had intelligent unbiased football convo with quite a few Cowboys fans, as we both long for the powerhouse days of our squads to return.

Boysroll isn’t one of those fans.

31. skinsfaninnebraska says: May 25, 2011 12:22 PM

Oh, BTW, Dallas is better because His Holiness, Roger, Cardinal of the Metroplex, has anointed Sir Anthony of Romo as a Super Bowl quarterback, and thus sends him out to subdue the evildoers and unbelievers who abound everywhere.

32. wheeln69 says: May 25, 2011 12:22 PM

@willycents…damn, you beat me to the punch on commenting on boysroll misguided ramblings…kudos.

boysroll is delusional in the sense that he seems to think the cowgirls are somehow annointed the greatest team to ever play the game of football. He also thinks Jeruh is the second coming. All I know is they hosted they Super Bowl ONE TIME and botched that all to he11. So badly that the NFL is looking into ways to prevent that cluster-f from ever happening again…Now fellas, that’s a class organization!

33. orakpowned says: May 25, 2011 12:30 PM

i’m sure he’d go anywhere in the east, especially filthadelphia so his family can be harrassed and have beer thrown at them for every home game

34. bigbluebruiser says: May 25, 2011 12:32 PM

Portis would be the No. 3 RB at best with the Giants behind Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs.

The front office…especially Jerry Reese is high on seventh round pick Da’Rel Scott.

And because of the lockout…..low round picks like Scott will have a better chance of making final rosters because of the possibility of reduced training camp and preseason.

Portis would be pretty expensive for a No. 3 back.

35. docredskin says: May 25, 2011 12:39 PM

As a Redskins fan, I agree with Portis. I’d like to see him play us twice a year, too. It would be one good way to improve our run defense statistically.

36. skinsfaninillinois says: May 25, 2011 12:47 PM

Portis wants to sign with the Giants? I sure hope he does. I can’t wait to see Brian Orakpo unload on him and send back to his favorite place: the IR.

37. magicman407 says: May 25, 2011 12:50 PM

As a Redskins fan Portis was one of my favorite backs. I am not really sure why he thinks he could run against the defense though? Landry catches him with ease now, he cant break tackles like he used too, he doesn’t give anything extra. But he is one hell of a blocker, thats about the only thing he can offer the Giants. But if he gets hit by Fletcher running a dive good luck to him as he will have once again another season ending concussion.

38. magicman407 says: May 25, 2011 12:55 PM

LOL and boysroll is still an idiot.

39. skinsrock says: May 25, 2011 12:56 PM

Clinton Portis would make a good spell back or could be good with a good O-Line with a 2 back system. His body does seem to break down more these days, so we’ll see… I don’t see any spot in the NFC East for him.

40. leevi98 says: May 25, 2011 12:56 PM

Why does this site only report what they want to take out of an article? This is not all he said and some of it was not bashing the Redskins. Why did you leave this stuff out and only report the one negative?

“Portis did believe that his time in Washington was up. “I think for the situation that was going on in Washington for myself it was time to vacate,” he said. “The organization was going in a different direction and I really think that Coach Shanahan is going to get the organization back on track and back to winning ways, which is what the people in Washington want to see. He does regret not being able to pass John Riggins to become the Redskins’ all-time leading rusher. Portis finished his career in Washington 648 yards behind Riggins’ total of 7472 yards in a Redskins uniform.

“I think that I had a two-year span to overtake [Riggins] and become first,” he said. I just doesn’t seem like it was meant for me. Again, getting injured, it just didn’t seem worth it. Here I am with something to prove, looking for a brand new start.””

AND THIS ABOUT YES YOU THE MEDIA LEFT THAT OUT TOO!

-He believed that the Washington media is at least partially responsible for the team’s inability to win consistently during his time here. Asked about what was wrong with Donovan McNabb’s play last year, he said that he media picked apart every mistake and that it was harder on the team than even the media in McNabb’s former town. “Anything that happened, I think that the Washington media was being so critical of the team,” he said. “It was hard to really have that team bond because the media would shoot at picking it apart and tearing it apart and so critical even when the good times came. I don’t think Donovan was ready for that, even coming from Philly. I don’t think he understood the position he was coming into.”

41. ocho says: May 25, 2011 1:00 PM

Remember when Clinton Portis slid against the Rams to avoid being hit? How dare the Redskins suggest hes no longer capable of getting the job done…

42. geniusesq says: May 25, 2011 1:18 PM

The Giants would want him?? LOL Go away Clinton.

43. urfinished says: May 25, 2011 1:47 PM

As a redskins fan let me say…please please please let this happen.
    Polio poses a bigger threat in this day and age.

44. xviixxiixxvi says: May 25, 2011 1:53 PM

Love the attitude and effort CP brought to the field on gameday. Unfortunately, he’s one of those guys who never sees the other perspective. He’s never to blame.

45. rezburna says: May 25, 2011 2:06 PM

He’s been hurt for the past two years. He ran for 1,400 yards before those two injury plagued seasons. He’s 29 years old. He has two to three years left in his career. He’s a good running back, a work-horse. “Fans” are so quick to turn on players, which is why I have no respect for them. The only fans I would show love to are children and teenagers.

46. dlr4skins says: May 25, 2011 2:24 PM

AH, REMEMBER THE DAYS PORTIS RAN WITH HIS LEGS AND NOT HIS MOUTH????

THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

47. baddegg says: May 25, 2011 2:28 PM

levii98 writes:

—————-

The media in D.C. can be very critical, it is true. This is also the case in some other cities as well. At the same time, this cannot be used as an excuse. If nothing else, the team has to develop an “us vs. them” mentality and not be impacted by the media. Just do your thing and if you win, the media will praise you. I have heard some other Redskins players — like Carlos Rodgers — complain that the fans are too hard on them. Again, win and this will change. Until then, circle the wagons and do your thing.

I don’t buy the “media as excuse” argument.

Other than that, your post is good…it’s true he is not as “bitter” about the Redskins as some on here (you know who you are LMFAO would make it out to be.)

48. dg4design says: May 25, 2011 2:59 PM

Maybe CP should have shown up to practice and not been a pretentious cross-dressing drama queen. Of course, when Shanahan shows up (the guy who giveth and taketh away from CP prior) he tries to be all team-centric, showing up to practice and giving the salute. Sorry, CP. Too late. We have young bucks ready to take your place and do it right. Good luck getting those 77 yards though. I’m sure it’s gotta be more than that from the locker door to your parking spot.

49. swatprez1 says: May 25, 2011 3:20 PM

Bring it on Portass! I’m sure the Redskins defense would love nothing better than to defend against an old, washed up RB like yourself. Even if you do sign with an NFC East team, none of which by the way needs any RB’s as all of their backfields are already too crowded, your DREAM of facing the ‘Skins twice a year is just that, a big DREAM. We all know there is no way you will be healthy for both games, history is against it. I used to respect you, now you are acting like the little baby you really are. What happened, new head coach pull your head out of Danny’s rear end? Can’t handle being treated like everybody else? Might want to talk to your buddy LaVar about facing the Redskins twice a year, lol.

50. rayguyreturns says: May 25, 2011 3:34 PM

Is this guy Jevon Walkers brother? Did they both play for the Broncos at the same time?

They both speak the same incoherent babble.

Who would claim that they’re going to drive their car 500 miles with the gas tank on “E”?

See: Portis, Walker.

51. daveperkinsjr says: May 26, 2011 3:25 PM

Clinton Portis has already “played against the Redskins” for the past 3-4 years.. when he was a Redskin. The guy is a “Mr Me”. He missed more games than he played in over the past couple of years, and clearly isnt a leader which he should be as a veteran keynote running back. I read that he has a great work ethic, and when he played he was good for a 5 yard gain, and was a good pass protector..but no breakaway speed, and a plague in the locker room. I was calling for him to be traded for some draft picks in 2008 when we could have gotten something good for him. We got nothing from him since then.