Goodell indicates roster rules could be adjusted after lockout

NFL And Players Resume Mediation Getty Images

It’s understood that rookies have a lot to lose during the lockout, with lower round rookies and undrafted free agents likely making it tougher to make NFL rosters.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports asked Commissioner Roger Goodell Wednesday if the league would consider expanding NFL rosters after the lockout in order to help out coaches that want to keep their draft picks.

The Commish sounded open to the idea during his comments to the media.

“I do believe that the uncertainty is something we’ll have to consider as it relates to getting players ready to play,” Goodell said. “One, from an injury standpoint, and two, from making the proper evaluations.  We have talked about different concepts depending on how long it goes, that we may have to implement.”

That answer is yet another reminder that the end of the lockout, whenever it ends, won’t end the unique circumstances of 2011. The league is going to look a little different when it returns, especially in the short term.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Union
34 Responses to “Goodell indicates roster rules could be adjusted after lockout”
  1. majbobby says: May 25, 2011 12:34 PM

I think expanding the rosters are in their proposals anyway…

So this would not be much of a stretch to think there is going to be a bigger roster size, different IR rules, and maybe more PS spots.

2. fltharley says: May 25, 2011 12:36 PM

the only roster change i want is this p.o.s. goodell gone. i do not want his two hand touch league . i hate him making this a sissy league

3. willycents says: May 25, 2011 12:37 PM

And promptly another anti trust violation for DeSmith to fucus on…..COLLUDING on the roster sizes. Lo life owners, considering the needs of the players and coaches.

Here is the solution to that issue:
    1. Unlimited team rosters and unlimited team payrolls
    2. limit on gross salary outlays per game day roster (say$100M?) and limit on the # of players allowed on game day roster(say 45?).

Players get what they want and owners get some control over salaries. Who is going to pay a $200M payroll to have half them not playing on Sunday?

Could be done legally with a simple addition of rules to the rule book. Let the game day cap increase according to the increase of the CPI as issued by the fed govt.

4. eaglesfan290 says: May 25, 2011 12:39 PM

I’m all for that

5. touchdownroddywhite says: May 25, 2011 12:42 PM

Let’s just hope that “different look” isn’t like the 50 stars that dumb teenage girl had tattooed on her face before claiming she only wanted 3 and fell asleep at the hands of an evil tattoo artist who she later admitted to lying about.

Sometimes a different look results in tons of scar tissue that never leaves. Hopefully this isn’t one of those times.

6. ztvmid says: May 25, 2011 12:46 PM

This was one thing the NFLPA* was arguing for anyways…such bs. This lockout is some childish ish.

7. skoobyfl says: May 25, 2011 12:46 PM

I can’t understand how the NFL thinks every draftee or rookie can be ready for the big-time. It might take another year or two to develop a player seperate of the practice squad.

I feel that they should have at least 2 extra spots for drafted / rookie players on the main roster that can be activated unto the main roster / off the main roster at anytime.

The NHL allows teams to call up from a rookie pool based on the need & some of the best players in the league now were not set until after coming on / off the NHL roster several times. Does the league want to find the best possible or the best talent today ?

8. eaglesfan290 says: May 25, 2011 12:56 PM

It would probably be better to just expand the PS to say 10-14 guys and keep them from being signed away by another team the first year.

This would allow clubs to develop talent, but know at least the first year any investment they make in a player to bring him up to NFL speed isn’t going to be wasted.

9. zoxitic says: May 25, 2011 1:10 PM

Goodell – Bad for the NFL.

10. dapell says: May 25, 2011 1:12 PM

Gosh, this sounds like a concession. More players on the roster means more heads in the union, more guys collecting paychecks. Seems like the NFLPA should be happy about this and see it as yet another sign the owners do want to do a deal even if it means getting some money back.

11. time2speakup says: May 25, 2011 1:12 PM

Help, please! I know 53-man rosters, practice squad number and dressing 47 on game day is standard from CBA. Anyone know HOW/WHY these numbers were arrived at? Have especially never liked the dressing 47 bit. If you have 53, dress’em and use’em – why not?

12. nfl25 says: May 25, 2011 1:14 PM

I think the players have been brainwashed by dsmith and company. I cant believe they are all not willing to submit a counter offer. The lawyers probably tell them if you start showing weakness you will get buried by the owners and blah blah blah. Obviously to get a better deal you should do what they are doing and just nat accept anything and try to get leverage. But time is running out and at some point you have to say ok lets negotiate.

I been saying this for a while, d smith will not negotiate until he has lost every ounce of leverage. U think he cares about the season? The players need to get together and say we want to negotiate a fair deal. There has to be a way to get rid of d smith

13. jeffro33 says: May 25, 2011 1:21 PM

Agreed with Eaglesfan on the expansion of the practice squad…

To the person feeling that Goodell is turning the NFL into a sissy league-

Look around you. It’s everywhere. NBA fans can definitely attest. You can make 100s of cases where one bad incident happens and the rules change as a whole….

Some of it is ridiculous (like 15-yd penalties for celebration), but I think we can all agree that it is scary to see players laying motionless after a vicious hit to the head… Not to mention the cases out there of a paralyzed life after football for these players…

I am all for helping fight against this where it makes sense… And I’m all for a 16-game season that begins tomorrow…

14. qj1984 says: May 25, 2011 1:22 PM

No, I dont get a roster expansion from this. He said “to help coaches that want to keep their rookies”. Some teams have more rookies than others. I am seeing a roster exemption. No rookies drafted by the teams will count against the roster. Why should a team like the Bears who had 5 picks get the same amount of extra roster spots as a team like the Pats who had 9?

15. 2011to2020lions says: May 25, 2011 1:25 PM

The sad thing is a deal could have been done already if that De Smith jerk would have counterd either of the two offers they got

16. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 1:28 PM

“Translation : We are going to allow you to keep more younger guys to develop so you can get rid of the veteran “Problem Players” that are driving this litigation.

I’m all for that”

YEAH! That’ll show ‘em! You’re a businessman on par with Trump!

And when the Patriots sign Bobby Hoying to replace Tom Brady you’ll be able to get the best seats in the house since the team will never sell out another game! And no annoying playoffs to worry about since the team will never crack .500 again!

You may find it odd that parking, cost of Hoying game jersey, tickets, and beers at the stadium costs just as much as they did when the payroll was high…but you can enjoy the ENHANCED PROFITABILITY of the franchise! And isn’t that what we’re all cheering for at the end of the day?

And then your TV contract gets cut by 70%! Yeah! That’ll show ‘em!

And when your team goes belly-up, and you’re watching India-Bangladesh cricket matches on cable…well, you can pump out you chest for having shown those uppity player’s who was boss!

Yeah, I’m all for that!

17. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 1:31 PM

The rookies and FA’s are an investment the owners make in their team.

The lockout diminishes the value and return on these investments.

Again, the owner’s actions come back to have negative consequences that they didn’t foresee and can’t live with – so they need another bail-out by the Commish.

Yep, these are the finest businessmen in America.

18. hobartbaker says: May 25, 2011 1:32 PM

Having adjusted the rosters to 0 with the lockout, Roger sounded open to expanding them once it ends.

19. rabidbillsfan says: May 25, 2011 1:47 PM

@skoobyfl

It’s a good idea, but the NHL and NFL are very diffrent in that dept. The NHL’s pool of players are in a minor leauge where they play just about as many games as the major leauge. Practice squad players are exactly that, only used in practice. Also, most NHL draftee’s come right out of highschool, so it’s not so much the learning curve, but the sheer physical endurance required. It wouldn’t be worth it for the NFL to invest in something like that, the drop off in talent is way too steep and they only play 16-20 games per season so the possibility that it would pay off to keep these players around is minimal.

I do like where Godell is going with this though. During the lockout alot of undrafted FA and low round picks are sweating it out because they are even at a larger disadvantage, and may look for work elsewhere. Godell is showing he is trying to maintain the integrity of the game to some degree.

20. nfl25 says: May 25, 2011 1:49 PM

jeffro33 says:
    May 25, 2011 1:21 PM
    Agreed with Eaglesfan on the expansion of the practice squad…

To the person feeling that Goodell is turning the NFL into a sissy league-

===================================

completley agree. dudes have brain injuries and are commiting suicide and people getting paralyzed. they have to do something. trust me i love defence and hard hits more than offence but if they sit back and do nothing, people will continue to get hurt and the same nfl players saying “i hate this” “this is turning into 2 hand touch” are the same guys that will sue the nfl later in life saying the nfl didnt do enough to protect players

21. willycents says: May 25, 2011 1:53 PM

moochzilla says:May 25, 2011 1:31 PM

The rookies and FA’s are an investment the owners make in their team.

The lockout diminishes the value and return on these investments.

Yep, these are the finest businessmen in America.
    ———————————————–

Are they better businessmen than those who would be their “partners”?
    I’m certain you make the league minimum, and sit on the bench for 16 games a year. Please tell us about the good investments you make, the businesses you run, all the corporate decisions you make, all the capital you risk in improvements to your business. When you are done with that, then criticize the businessmen who create your job and pay your wages.

waiting to be ignored…….waiting to be ignored….waiting…….

22. bleedgreen says: May 25, 2011 2:10 PM

What about giving ALL players drafted a roster spot exemption for 2 years under certain circumstances such they must be on at least 8 game day rosters to avoid teams hoarding a guy just so another team in can’t have him? This way you can truly get an opportunity to develop a player without having it impact your immediate plans for the team. IE Eagles are fairly stacked at receiver, but DeSean could be out of the game at any point with a big hit. We need to bring in someone to get ready, but at the expense of someone else. Rather than a practice squad guy who can be poached, these guys would get to practice and travel with the team everywhere and even play in game, but don’t count against your total roster size (They do count towards a salary cap, if there is one). This only applies to people you drafted, and only for their 1st and 2nd years in the league. You can still cut them at any time, but 3 off seasons should be enough to know if they have anything or not.

Maybe also have something like the Rule 5 draft style where if you poach someone from another teams practice squad, they MUST be gameday active for at least the following 5 weeks, otherwise they default back to the original team’s practice squad, but you are still responsible for their salary for the rest of the year.

23. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 2:22 PM

willy,

are you asking me if I’m an NFL player?

Or if I own my own business. Which I do.

You post is completely unclear, so I have no idea what your intention or point is. Which is most likely why you expect to be ignored – must happen a lot.

24. majbobby says: May 25, 2011 2:24 PM

moochzilla says:
    May 25, 2011 1:31 PM
    The rookies and FA’s are an investment the owners make in their team.

The lockout diminishes the value and return on these investments.

Yep, these are the finest businessmen in America.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would say they are pretty dang good businessmen. Seeing THEY Run the NFL not Roger. You know HE is the COMMISH right…. Guess who he works for…………..You guessed it THE OWNERS

25. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 2:24 PM

PS – the owner of my team is a trust fund baby who had produced one film (VI Warshowski, an epic bomb) using money his mother lent to him at 0%.

Are we talking about that kind of “businessman”?

26. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 2:30 PM

Oh, and as for building a business on my own from the ground up…

…I never relied on taxpayer money to built my place of business, as most sports owners did.

…I never lobbied the government for a bailout, as most banks and auto companies did.

…I never declared bankruptcy multiple times, as Donald Trump did.

…I never moved my company’s operations to Mexico, as many American companies did.

…I never hid assets overseas or avoided paying taxes, as GE did.

…I never stiffed employees, vendors, or partners on payments I promised for services rendered, as Ralph Wilson has started the process of doing.

…I never downgraded the quality or safety of my product by using poisonous, cheap materials from China, as many toy companies and pet food companies did.

So, yeah. I’d say I’m a pretty solid asset to the country in terms of ‘businessmen’.

But I’m sure it doesn’t come anywhere near your substantial and unique contributions…

27. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 2:32 PM

Oh, and I never used 9/11 as an excuse to chisel my customers into buying more marked up food…like Jeff Lurie did with the hoagie ban.

And I never cheated on my city taxes, using an easily disproved lie as a cover story…like Jeff Lurie did.

28. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 2:34 PM

maj- yes, that’s been a point I’ve made about 100 times that most people don’t realize. Are you going to tell me that the owners have had a viable plan up until now? Seriously?

29. whags334 says: May 25, 2011 2:56 PM

I am encouraged. A lot more talk today from players, agents, and even Godell about getting back to negotiating. D. Smith is losing control, like Mubarik, pretty soon he will have to support and be forced to deal. If the players are smart, they will deal now while they still have a smidgen of leverage because after June 3rd they won’t have any and will be forced to take whatever the owners offer and it won’t be much.

30. jackfnburton says: May 25, 2011 3:02 PM

My TV already looks different. There’s a brick in it.

I WANT MY FOOTBALL!

31. laeaglefan says: May 25, 2011 3:54 PM

They wouldn’t have all of these extra issues to worry about if there hadn’t been a lockout in the first place.
    I wonder if Goodell ever thought about that?

32. rcali says: May 25, 2011 3:59 PM

It’s what the fans want, right Goodell?

33. moochzilla says: May 25, 2011 4:33 PM

Nothing will happen until the NFL’s partners start to lose money. The networks, EA Sports & Best Buy (Madden), etc.

Then real businesses will begin to pressure these children to get something done.

My fear is that it goes nowhere until then.

34. p4hbiz says: May 25, 2011 5:07 PM