Looking at the Jets worst moments since 1987

To kill time and fill space during the lockout, we’re looking at the worst moments for each franchise since the last work stoppage.

We’ve considered the Steelers and Packers earlier this week.  Next, it’s time for Jets fans to wallow in their misery.  (And for the rest of us to enjoy that.)

But we’re not picking on only certain teams.  Everyone is getting this treatment.  If nothing else, it could make fans of plenty of teams feel better about the prospect of not playing football in 2011.

Indeed, if there are no games, there can be no further bad moments.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, PFT Live, Rumor Mill, Videos
20 Responses to “Looking at the Jets worst moments since 1987”
  1. shaggytoodle says: May 25, 2011 3:10 PM

How about those two times a year when Rex Ryan claims his team is going to the Superbowl. Then after missing out on it he then predicts that they would have beat the Superbowl Champion.

Thats got to be a terrible Jets moment, and if it isn’t, it will be in 3-4 seasons when he is canned, because people are sick of him saying it and then never getting that result.

2. patbocam says: May 25, 2011 3:11 PM

Who was the golie on the USA world cup team several years back that was invited to jets camp to try out punting……..flat out fail

3. stampats says: May 25, 2011 3:27 PM

THE WORST moment as a Jets fan was 1999 when the Jets were finally in a SB conversation and Testeverde went down in Game 1

I’d put Bellichik Mumbling his way out of NY high up on the list as well…..

Your worst list includes some amazing seasons and runs where they lost to better teams. Some of the best Jet seasons Ever.

The Denver loss I’ll give ya, that hurt but, last year losing IN Pittsburgh was a cap on one of the best seasons we have seen ever as a Jets fan… Regardless of what Rex says as motivational tools, as a Jets fan I won’t cry too much if I get to watch the AFC Championship game a bunch more times in the next decade.

Jets fans have seen the depths of NFL hell for the majority of my life – Rival fans think mocking Rex and the Jets hurts or something when they don’t even realize that 2 Straight Championship games is Freaking unbelievable in his 1st 2 years.

For me The Spike game wasn’t painful at all – To me, Marino was going to score a TD at that point. The way Dan played back then, the guy marches all the way down the field and you think he’s going to get stopped?

4. beastofeden says: May 25, 2011 3:32 PM

JaMARKus Sanchez eating a hot dog

5. adogdc says: May 25, 2011 3:34 PM

Circa late in the ’92/’93 season

Dolphins @ Jets

Playoffs Implications

Marino driving his team down the field late in the 4th QTR, almost no time left.

Marino shows universal call to spike, but it was really a fake spike call. CBs weren’t ready, TD Dolphins.

Jets out of the playoffs.

(FYI – I was a Boomer Esiason fan and switched my AFC allegiance to the Jets when he went their. When I was kid, we always had a AFC team we would rout for to go with the Skins as our real team. Always saw the league as Two separate entities.)

6. Land Snark says: May 25, 2011 3:34 PM

@shaggytoodle
    “Then after missing out on it he then predicts that they would have beat the Superbowl Champion.”

That’s sort of ridiculous considering they lost to both teams that played in the Super Bowl this past year.

But I’m sure it will be “personal” when they face the Steelers next time.

7. shaggytoodle says: May 25, 2011 3:45 PM

Land Snark says:
    May 25, 2011 3:34 PM
    @shaggytoodle

________________________

I know that, and thats why it will be one of the worse moments for the Jets if he keeps saying those things, but Ryan says they would have beat GB in the Superbowl a month or so ago.

I don’t know how the Jets are going to beat a team when they scored ZERO on them at home in the middle of the regular season.

8. mybuttsayspft says: May 25, 2011 3:45 PM

Rex Ryan

9. stampats says: May 25, 2011 3:46 PM

I’m surprised a lot of sports fans just don’t Get Rex…. I’d be mostly peopel who never played and admired Great coaches close up.

EVERY coach in the league should think his team is going to beat anyone.

EVERY player in the league should think his team should win it all….

If you don’t think you can win it all, then you should not be associated with an NFL team as an owner, coach, secretary or in any capacity…

Rex just isn’t a panzy about dancing around saying it…. As he puts it – Who cares, as if teams are going to try harder now???? Bring it. Hsi players and the organization want to hear it constantly, they go to work TO WIN THE SUPERBOWL….

Guy is one of the most geniune coaches in the league and that’s why players constantly say they want to play for him!!!!!!!!!!

PLAYERS LOVE REX……

After all the lousy HC’s we have had as Jets fans, and the Clown Herm Edwards is as bad as any one of em including Kotite IMO…. I wouldn’t trade Rex for any HC in the league….

2 Championship Games in 2 years with a neophyte QB still learning on the job… W O W!!!

IMO, he’s doing wonders with a defense that isn’t as good as people want to believe talent wise – But, he’s got more DL help in the draft and he’s still building… This isn’t the Ravens D that carries Dilfer though, Sanchize is making some awesome plays when it counts and is outworking a lot of players in the offseason…

I always say, QB is the hardest position to analyze and predict but, give me the guy who eats and vreathes FOOTBALL like Sanchez!!!

10. buffalohogan says: May 25, 2011 3:56 PM

The best Jets video ever…i love the guy that screrams OH NO, right before they announce kyle brady…

11. robzar says: May 25, 2011 4:04 PM

Talk about opening the biggest can of freaking worms!!!!

Ok, here goes….

(1) Hiring Rexy
    (2) Hiring the waterboy (aka Mangenius)
    (3) Not sniffing a Lombardi since Nixon was president
    (4) Brett Favres penis
    (5) Letting a drunk Joe Namith do a halftime interview on national television.
    (6) ToeGate
    (7) SidelineGate

This could go on for a looooong time, but I gotta get back to work.

12. ballsdeep24 says: May 25, 2011 4:13 PM

Come on — this is easy and nobody has picked it up yet…

WORST MOMENT IN JETS HISTORY:

Mo Lewis levels Drew Bledsoe and ushers in the Brady reign.

Even when we do things right they go horribly wrong.

13. ampats says: May 25, 2011 4:27 PM

Since my last three posts never saw the light of day I won’t waste my time.

Good one ballsdeep24, especially since we got a 1st round draft pick for Drew which was Ty Warren, mainstay on the DL and now Drew will be in the Patriots Hall of Fame.

Maybe we should also nominate Mo Lewis ?

14. august1969 says: May 25, 2011 4:46 PM

Kotite

15. 3yrsnfl says: May 25, 2011 5:13 PM

Hiring Rex Ryan has been one of the BEST things the franchise has Theydone. You have to get to the conference championship game to get to the Super Bowl and the Jets got that far. I believe Rex Ryan had alot to do with that. Every team in the league has had great moments and heart breaking moments, that’s the way it is with parity. I believe they have an owner, GM, and coach commited to winning. They are all working hard, including the young QB. They are a contender in the AFC.

16. stellarperformance says: May 25, 2011 5:16 PM

Favre…trying to get to Minnesota the only way he could…through New York.

17. finsbooyah says: May 25, 2011 5:22 PM

While it may not be THE worst Jets moment, I can’t believe that no one has even mentioned the Sal Alosi incident.

18. benh999 says: May 25, 2011 5:48 PM

3 holes

19. robzar says: May 26, 2011 8:28 AM

finsbooyah says:
    May 25, 2011 5:22 PM

See #7 of previous post.

20. dempsey63 says: May 26, 2011 3:59 PM

I still think missing out on Brett Favre by one pick to Atlanta in the 1991 draft (and then selecting Browning Nagle as the consolation prize) should have wound up on the list.