Matt Stover to retire a Raven on Thursday

M. Stover AP

Matt Stover’s career began in 1991 as a member of the old version of the Cleveland Browns under Bill Belichick.  Twenty years later, his career will officially end when he retires a member of the Ravens.

Stover was out of football in 2010.  He spent 18 years with the Browns/Ravens before helping out the Colts during their Super Bowl run during 2009.   He retires fourth all time in points and field goals; he made one Pro Bowl and won a Super Bowl.

The Ravens say they will make an additional announcement about Stover and the team at his press conference Thursday.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
8 Responses to “Matt Stover to retire a Raven on Thursday”
  1. wlubake says: May 25, 2011 10:50 AM

Can he sign a 1 day retirement contract during the lockout? Can a player formally file retirement papers during the lockout? I bet he technically has to wait until the start of the new season to actually retire a Raven.

2. mswravens says: May 25, 2011 10:56 AM

Matt is a true class act – can’t say he’s a friend of mine, but I know him through charity work & he was an incredibly dedicated pro who always had time to help a good cause, and is a fine example of a “family man.” Another NFLer who has EARNED the right to be called a role model!

Congrats on your career Matt, and I hope it ends in the Ravens’ Ring of Honor…and a bust in Canton!!!

3. bunjy96 says: May 25, 2011 11:00 AM

He’s not on any teams roster. Why can’t he retire now?

4. lawyermalloy says: May 25, 2011 11:19 AM

@bunjy96
    Because he’d like to retire from the team that employed him for 19 years!

5. qj1984 says: May 25, 2011 12:17 PM

I hated Harbaugh for letting AutoMATTic walk in favor of the 10 year old, Hauscka. And he’s lucky Cundiff bailed him out and fixed that mistake.

Matt was a true Raven and he’ll be missed. Enjoy retirement #3.

6. MichaelEdits says: May 25, 2011 1:50 PM

I have nothing but respect for all Browns 1.0 and/or Ravens. It is the same feeling I have for Oilers/Titans, although it’s possible I feel it even more for Browns 1.0/Ravens.

This is not a regional loyalty. My home teams are Carolina and Tampa, both younger than me, and I happened to have been in their cities when they were formed, and mourning for me isn’t really necessary. Appreciated, though.

Above all, I love great football. And em-effs who don’t hold out or lock out because, well, take a look at MY paycheck and try not to laugh.

7. corvusrex96 says: May 27, 2011 6:47 PM

Stover is truly a class act!

Great to hear he will be in the Baltimore Ring of Honor with Jonathan Ogden, Michael McCrary, Peter Boulware and Johnny Unitas

8. somesome says: Jun 2, 2011 9:45 AM

great kicker and great person, took all the time to sign all the autographs any kid could ask for at training camp.