Davone Bess is spending the lockout digging ditches

Bess_Davone

Of all the activities NFL players are participating in during the lockout, Dolphins receiver Davone Bess may be engaged in the most physically demanding — and most beneficial to humanity.

Bess has been in Costa Rica for the last two weeks, and he’s not staying at a luxury resort. Instead, he’s digging drainage ditches and working with a group called Global Volunteers.

“I had an epiphany one night. With all I’ve been through on and off the field God has put me in a position to be a difference maker and to change lives,” Bess told Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel. “If I can help someone make a difference and impact someone’s life I want to do that to the best of my ability.”

So without minicamps and organized team activities, Bess figured there was no better time than now to do the kind of volunteer work an NFL player ordinarily wouldn’t have the time to do. There’s one silver lining to the lockout.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
28 Responses to “Davone Bess is spending the lockout digging ditches”
  1. forevercorr says: May 26, 2011 6:47 PM

I wish there were more guys like Bess and Denver’s David Bruton making headlines in the offseason… not guys gloating about time off our talking about who sued who, but making the most of their time to help others out and do things that really matter.
    Bravo.

2. justanotherdummy says: May 26, 2011 6:54 PM

Good job young man, solid effort giving back. Watch out for snakes.

3. rockymtnphinfan says: May 26, 2011 6:59 PM

Bess is the kind of player, that if your team was going to trade or release him, you’d think about quitting your team. He’s that freakin awesome of a dude.

4. someguyiniowa says: May 26, 2011 7:01 PM

Bess has also been working out with his fellow WRs looooong before others were organizing their workouts…just saying lol

5. finfan1622 says: May 26, 2011 7:02 PM

I was shocked when Bess went undrafted and thought the fins should’ve targeted him as a FA. I know he was involved in an incident in college that probably scared a few teams off. I was very excited when we signed him and have seen him blossom into one of the best slot receivers in the NFL. Now he is a Role Model off the field as well. Its an honor to be a fan of yours.

6. blitz87 says: May 26, 2011 7:03 PM

Good man, Davone.

7. finfanrod says: May 26, 2011 7:10 PM

Definitely a favorite of mine as both a player and a person. I’m so happy to see good stories can come out of this. PLEASE Dolphins let’s not trade him for a couple of 2nd round picks ALA Welker…

8. notoriousjebus says: May 26, 2011 7:22 PM

forevercorr,

Way to compliment two players, then slam the other approximately 2000 of them with a blanket generalizations.

9. pluto62 says: May 26, 2011 7:25 PM

this is a great example of a young man making a difference in the world in a good way. this article just made a fan of me. Davone Bess please keep up the great work!!!

10. murraysons says: May 26, 2011 7:30 PM

Good kid. Still hate the dolphins tho.

11. chipwade says: May 26, 2011 7:40 PM

I’m all for players using their free time to volunteer for the benefit of others in need. But doesn’t it seem like a better way for Bess to help them is to buy them a backhoe?

12. davonebess15 says: May 26, 2011 7:45 PM

Makes me proud to wear my Davone Bess jersey on gamedays

13. 2mannings1cup says: May 26, 2011 7:55 PM

As a pats fan, I continue to hope the Dolphins pull a Welker with this guy. But I think they learned their lesson.

14. tjrubleysaudible says: May 26, 2011 8:02 PM

That’s awesome, he’s actually getting his hands dirty helping people out, not just paying money and lip service. Much respect.

15. forevercorr says: May 26, 2011 8:12 PM

@notoriousjebus I was actually referring to the players who have made headlines since the lockout has begun and have made headlines by complaining about the ongoing litigation, applauding the litigation, talking about how great it is to not have to work for their teams, getting stabbed, going to jail, or riding a bull for 1.5 seconds… which means I was making a blanket statement for about two dozen players. Sorry to have offended.
    Still, I’m mostly applauding Bess and Bruton. Thank you for helping me clear that up.

16. azbroncos says: May 26, 2011 8:46 PM

Love to hear stories like these no matter what team they are on.

17. rushbacker says: May 26, 2011 9:03 PM

Wait, so you’re saying snake wrangling isn’t beneficial to humanity?

18. jupe says: May 26, 2011 9:20 PM

Skyline High, Oakland grad keeps making positive news

19. schmitty2 says: May 26, 2011 9:48 PM

Leading receiver for the Phin’s next year. Mark my words

20. hobartbaker says: May 26, 2011 10:12 PM

That has inspired me to volunteer to go to Costa Rica. Maybe I’ll pick up litter on a beach, if there is an opening in that area. It’s raining here and I feel the call.

21. rcali says: May 26, 2011 10:14 PM

This is great but how about getting on a plane and helping the people of Joplin find some survivors in their rubble. Mad props from Americans who buy your expensive tickets might be a great media play.

22. peanutbutter&jelly says: May 26, 2011 10:30 PM

this guy just continues to impress me ever since he WASN’T drafted all the way to now and i believe the- bess is yet to come.

23. lostsok says: May 26, 2011 11:17 PM

So I wonder who the ONE PERSON is that voted thumbs down? Grice-Mullen, still ticked it isn’t him?

24. CKL says: May 27, 2011 7:51 AM

2mannings1cup says:
    May 26, 2011 7:55 PM
    ______________________________
    I hear you…Pats can never seem to cover Bess.
    Nice story, love it.

25. agelardi says: May 27, 2011 8:53 AM

World needs more people like him.

26. richm2256 says: May 27, 2011 2:21 PM

Patriots fan here; I like this guy!

Why isn’t Tom Brady – or any other Patriots players – doing something as noble as this?

27. bubbasmithguy says: May 28, 2011 4:15 AM

God bless him.

28. wtf__seriously says: May 31, 2011 4:34 PM

Patriots fan here; I like this guy!

———————————————-

After watching all the suffering and loss right here in our country’s own midwest and southern states, I have a hard time being “uber congratulatory” to someone who traveled to Costa Rica working with Global Volunteers. How about helping out right here in Missouri or Kansas first?