Marcell Dareus joins Bills’ workouts

Marcell Dareus, Roger Goodell AP

The Buffalo Bills had their third day of player-organized workouts on Wednesday, and for the first time, the third overall pick in the draft was there.

Defensive tackle Marcell Dareus didn’t do much on-field work with his teammates, but he said it was valuable just to be there.

It’s important for the camaraderie just getting the players together, and jell together,” Dareus told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. “There’s some risk involved, there’s some risk in getting out of the bed. You can get hurt no matter what you do. You know, I’m just going to take it easy and come out here and just work out with the guys and not do too much, not over-extend myself, but really come around and just move myself with them. Just be together.”

Dareus said his agent, Todd France, reminded him that if he gets hurt at a workout, it’s his responsibility, not the Bills’. But that didn’t dissuade him.

“No doubt in my mind that I was coming,” he said. “My agent said ‘You have to do the insurance thing, you’re not covered yet,’ but I said ‘Todd, I still want to go out there and show my face. I’m their first pick, they want me out there, so I’m not going to turn them down.’ I want to be out here.”

And now he is out there.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Marcell Dareus joins Bills’ workouts”
  1. mvlonergan says: May 26, 2011 7:07 AM

What dumbass. In about 15 years we’re going to be watching an NFL Films documentary about the lockout, and 30 seconds will be devoted to a tearful interview with a once-promising player who injured himself in these informal activities. And that 30 seconds will be the only thing the NFL has paid him for in his life.

2. skoobyfl says: May 26, 2011 7:23 AM

Marcell Dareus is a physical force. He’s a DE who has the ability to make a difference from the start, not a QB that needs multi-year seasoning to get it right.

3. EJ says: May 26, 2011 7:25 AM

mvlonergan says:
    May 26, 2011 7:07 AM

Don’t you think you are over exaggerating a little…

He just said that he was just going to show his face, nothing else.

Whoa there buddy!! Nobody said he was going to run a triathlon.

Just a friendly hello, to let his teammates know he is “there”.

Go Bills!!

4. mindbender14 says: May 26, 2011 8:05 AM

@ mvlonergan

What’s wrong with you? All he did was lift weights and do gym workouts.

5. iflounder says: May 26, 2011 8:27 AM

actually the bills player rep, george wilson, has forbid the rookies from doing anything more than stretching and lifting weights. little chance they’ll hurt themselves outside of some freak accident.

6. eagiants says: May 26, 2011 8:52 AM

Being from Upstate NY (not a Bills fan) I’ve been very impressed w/ Dareus. He says all the right things and seems genuine in his desire to be great and to build a strong team identity.

He’s someone that I think Buffalo will be proud of for years to come. Man does that franchise need a couple of good stories and players like this.

I hope he dominates this year.

7. sc5000 says: May 26, 2011 9:56 AM

Wonder if they called him “The Hulk”?

8. vikescry1 says: May 26, 2011 10:08 AM

good player and i think it shows that he is serious about being a bill. stay smart about it though, good luck marcell.

9. cuzz4169 says: May 26, 2011 10:58 AM

This guy will be one of the biggest busts in the draft. Was a solid player in college around a boat load of talent. He’s not a dominating player he’s a solid player. And taking a solid player at #3 overall is a miss. Should’ve drafted peterson.

10. Deb says: May 26, 2011 12:16 PM

@cuzz4169 …

Yeah, most of the boatload of talent surrounding Dareus graduated at the end of the 2009 season. Then he was on his own and did extremely well. The Bills made a solid pick, and I think they’ll be very happy with him. This is a team on the rise.

Marcell … just be careful! It’s great to build relationships with your teammates, but a serious injury will end your career before a contract is signed. And Wilson isn’t likely to do right by you just because you were doing right by the team. Listen to your agent.