Mike Tannenbaum: “Hard Knocks” showed Rex Ryan as he is

AP

Rex Ryan is a profane blowhard who also happens to be an excellent coach, beloved by his players. At least, that’s how he was portrayed on Hard Knocks, and one of the men who works with Ryan every day says the Hard Knocks portrayal hit the nail on the head.

Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum said in an interview with ESPN 101 in St. Louis that the portrayal put forward by NFL Films was completely accurate.

“Steve Sabol and his crew at NFL Films, they do a great job and really what you saw with Rex is who he is,” Tannenbaum said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “He’s dynamic. He’s funny. He’s self-deprecating. That’s really who he is and I think the players can relate to his authenticity.”

Tannenbaum had nothing but good things to say about Hard Knocks, how it showed off the Jets to the league and inspired players to put in their best effort with the cameras on. Given that — and given how entertaining Ryan and Co. were — it’s too bad that the Jets won’t consider doing it again this year.

26 responses to “Mike Tannenbaum: “Hard Knocks” showed Rex Ryan as he is

1. We had to rely on investigative reporting to show us that he is also a foot-fetish swinger that shares his wife with other dudes. Hard knocks didn’t really convey this side of Rex Ryan….so maybe Mike Tannenbaum is a little biased in his assessment of how great of a job hard knocks did portraying Rex Ryan.

2. Give me a winning blowhard over just about any other type of coach every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Ryan is like entertainment+ for Jets fans because we get the games, which the Jets tend to win, and then we get the news conferences the next day and those are hysterical and we actually learn things now and then.

Parcells won enough to be a plus and then he used news conferences as a smokescreen with almost nothing good coming out of them.

Belichik wins a lot, and yeah he’s one of the few guys I would take over Ryan, but his press conferences are like watching CNBC talk about corn futures, only he won’t discuss corn futures other than to admit that they might exist.

3. Jets Hard Knocks has been the best of the series. The Ravens were also very good. The Cowboys was way to prepped and the Bengals showed why that franchise has been a bottom feeder for many seasons (everything done on the cheap)

I make alot of comments but you can see that with Rex that it is genuine. His only problem is that there needs to be a “yield” sign between his brain and his mouth.

Watching his postgame handshake with BB after the playoff game I could see that there is a real level of respect between the two of them. Probably goes back many years.

4. Everyone who hates Rex is just jealous he isn’t their coach. Go ahead, give me a thumbs down, like I care.

5. There’s a fine line between personality… and simply being a jerk. Rex crossed it long ago.

6. njdevil7 says: May 27, 2011 1:55 PM

^ THIS!

7. To show how self deprecating he is, Rex has penned a lengthy autobiography, which can be yours for just $29.95 in the hard cover edition.

8. mvp43 says: May 27, 2011 1:20 PM

Will Jets fans still love this guy after another failed Super Bowl prediction?

~~

Yes. Even after he wins one, he’ll be looking for 2 in a row. He’ll say they will win each and every year. I hope he does. Yes, I’ll still love him as long as he is able to keep a locker room motivated and moving in the same direction. And I’ll continue to watch each and every presser as well b/c they’re fun and entertaining.

9. Rex isn’t a bad guy. If you don’t believe that just read the book he wrote about himself.

10. Even as an avid lifelong Jets fan I get it, I am often put off by Rex’s comments. Having said that, I also understand he was hired to help transform this 2nd rate organization into a consistent competitor. While it is still early he seems to be on the right track, while I don’t always agree with his technique, you can’t argue with his short term results. Maybe, the people who make posts about his weight or foot fetish should realize their comments sound more classless than anything Rex is saying About winning Super Bowls. Remember he is trying to change the culture of an organization in a city shared by one of the top franchises in the league. ( Giants). Not an easy task.

11. nahcouldntbethat says:
    May 27, 2011 1:47 PM
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    HAHAHAA I’m a Pats fan and that’s just about as perfect of a description of BB’s postgame pressers as there is. Nice one! 😀

I agree with that other Pats fan, there’s HUGE respect between Ryan and BB. You can tell. BB and he practically hug after games and BB is NOT a hugger. Some people who aren’t Pats fans may forget BB is well aware of and used to the Ryan personality since Rob was his LB coach for years. I actually like RR most of the time, he irks me only maybe 10% of the time.

12. tellemallrex says:
    May 28, 2011 6:26 AM

more classless than anything Rex is saying About winning Super Bowls.

————————————————
    dead on; well said

13. ballsdeep24 says:
    May 27, 2011 3:34 PM
    mvp43 says: May 27, 2011 1:20 PM

Will Jets fans still love this guy after another failed Super Bowl prediction?
    ————————————————yes. don’t get why people can’t see this. jets needed to change something basic. they needed a very good coach and got one. they needed fundamental change in the organization and he brought it. (actually tannenbaum first, then rex).
    but that’s IF it’s a failed prediction. seems like they have a better chance of actually winning the thing than most teams. based on recent history of success and team direction.

14. I am a life long Jets fan and think that Rex Ryan is a great coach and genius behing the scenes. I don’t know why this article quotes Mike Tannenbaum. He knows absolutely nothing but how to brown nose and kiss Woody Johnson’s gluteous maximus. In fact, Mike Tannenbaum has NO FOOTBALL BACKGROUND (NEVER PLAYED) AND THEREFORE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME. Simply put, he is a SNIFFER.

If Rex Ryan (a football genius) was running the organization alone, the Jets would already have won a Super Bowl. Tannenbaum, if anything, is an impediment to that. How can you have some goofy sniffer/brown noser who doesn’t know the difference between a flat iron and a gridiron evaluating rosters and making decisions. A (1) mailman, (2) insurance salesman, or (3) Fireman Ed know more about football than Tannenbaum.

To be honest, ever since Hard Knocks aired on HBO, there has been major rumors in NY and in the locker room that Mike Tannenbaum is BISEXUAL or GAY. He always does “walkbys” in the locker room (staring at the players) and more than regularly pats players on their gluteous maximuses on and off the field (to their dismay). This, coupled with his feminine demeanor, has been a source of tension with the players and staff.

The Jets should nip this problem in the bud before it affects on their play on the field (they appeared successful last year but won 7 or more games in the last seconds (could easily have been a below .500 team). With all the rumors in the NY area about this, hopefully, Mr. Johnson can nip this in the bud and focus on the business of making Rex Ryan head coach and general manager.

TJ