Ken Anderson Hall of Fame candidacy picks up steam

K. Anderson

It started with a Bengals fan that started to work on a comprehensive slide show out to prove that Ken Anderson was indeed a Hall of Famer. A three-part article on ColdHardFootballFacts.com followed, where Anderson was called the most underrated quarterback of all time.

With Anderson eligible for enshrinement into Canton in 2012 via the Seniors Committee, a bit of a movement was afoot.  Admittedly biased sources like Bengals.com and Cris Collinsworth jumped aboard.

On Monday morning, the movement reached the epicenter of the football writing world — Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback.   So it’s probably time we mention it too.

King and the other sources provide statistical backing that we won’t repeat here.  The key sentence comes from King, a Hall of Fame voter.

“I’m not saying he belongs — I’ve always thought of him as a Hall of Very Good member — but I have to say I’m open to the argument,” King writes.

So you’re saying there’s a chance?  Based on that, we expect to hear a lot more about Anderson’s candidacy before the next Hall of Fame vote.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
31 Responses to “Ken Anderson Hall of Fame candidacy picks up steam”
  1. mangoldbond says: May 30, 2011 10:08 AM

I sometimes wonder what language Peter King writes in

2. krow101 says: May 30, 2011 10:11 AM

3. bostontim says: May 30, 2011 10:22 AM

“If you need a ‘campaign’ to get you into the Hall of Fame … then you don’t deserve to be there.”

I was thinkin’ the same thing about Obama. My bad.

Cheers, BostonTim

4. bartpkelly says: May 30, 2011 10:23 AM

Dave Krieg….check hi stats against Anderson’s then decide if Krieg should be in the Hall. If not, then not Anderson either. I think Krieg is a good litmus test for the Hall.

5. treydogg97 says: May 30, 2011 10:41 AM

Cris Carter.

6. carson9 says: May 30, 2011 10:42 AM

Go Anderson, you deserve it buddy.

7. ghostrider45 says: May 30, 2011 11:00 AM

@bartpkelly…. really Dave Krieg? the guy that fumbled the ball every other play? Hall of Shame maybe…not HOF.

8. stull60060 says: May 30, 2011 11:04 AM

PLEASE STOP ALREADY! Ken Anderson? Try KEN STABLER. Anderson as well as quite a few other quarterbacks couldn’t hold Snake’s jock strap for him. That includes Warren Moon and Jim Kelly. Just ask Chuck Knoll and Don Shula to name a few of the great coaches who were burned by the Snake. The HOF is a joke. The sports writers and journalists are the gate keepers. If you don’t kiss their asses, if they don’t like you personally you will never get elected to the HOF no matter what.

9. swervinmervin says: May 30, 2011 11:15 AM

So Ken ANderson gets some HOF talk, but KEn Stabler continues to get the shaft?! Amazing.

Stabler’s numbers are right there in the same ball park as Bob Griese and Joe Namath (who are both in) and he has a SB ring and was the QB in many all-time classic NFL games.

The only reason he isnt in is because he screwed over some writer many moons ago and the HOF writers made a pact to never voter him in. Ask PEter King’s buddy Dr. Z about that. The guy was adament about never putting another Raider in the HOF. That voting process is a sham.

10. larsen371 says: May 30, 2011 11:17 AM

Wow??? You’re kidding me right??? But yet Jim Marshall can’t get in…..

11. richm2256 says: May 30, 2011 11:18 AM

As the old saying goes;

“if you have to ask, then you don’t belong”.

12. schmitty2 says: May 30, 2011 11:58 AM

Maybe the Bengals can sign him to a 1 year contract to mentor Dalton. Just saying

13. swervinmervin says: May 30, 2011 12:13 PM

“In his prime, while it lasted, he was very accurate. Then he became consistently inaccurate. His teammates wondered why. That’s as far as I’ll take this one. A few years ago, the person presenting him at the enshrinement meeting mentioned how he had “always been cooperative with the media.” My hand shot up as if it were on a spring, and I reminded this ninny about how the Snake invited Bob Padecky of the Sacramento Bee down to the Redneck Riviera to do some offseason interviewing. And when Padecky showed up, all of a sudden Kenny’s buddies on the Mobile PD found some drugs that had been planted in the writer’s car, and off he went to the joint. For a night. Then he was released with no charges filed. Yeah, Kenny will make it. After I’m morto.”

Dr. Z on Stabler

14. commandercornpone says: May 30, 2011 12:27 PM

jim marshall would get out of his car in the HOF parking lot and then walk the wrong way (away from the HOF).

in basically 1 more year each as player and starter…

anderson had 3 more TDs, 72 fewer INTs, 4900 more yards, 6.6 points higher passer rating (81.9 vs 75.3), .5 less completion percentage (59.3 vs 59.8). stabler had the one championship.

i would say if one belongs, so does the other.

15. dougy1970 says: May 30, 2011 12:34 PM

Two words on Ken Anderson’s rise: Bill Walsh. Stunning that no one here, nor PFT mentions this central piece to the case.

16. axespray says: May 30, 2011 12:41 PM

I’d vote him in if only he does this:

ANDERSON!!!! (theme music hits)
    ….Ladies and Gentlemen, I hail from (blah)!
    I am Misssstttterrrr ANDDDDEEERRRSSSOOON!!!
    .(wait for it)………..ANDERSON!!!!

17. MichaelEdits says: May 30, 2011 1:11 PM

If I had a team, I’d take Anderson over any one who isn’t in the Hall and at least half the guys who are in the Hall. And unlike Peter King, I would take Ken Anderson over Dan Marino. Anderson was always more accurate, whereas Marino was almost a Manning-face.

18. jwbelt says: May 30, 2011 1:52 PM

I’m beyond biased – Kenny Anderson is responsible for making me a football fan and a lifelong Bengals loyalist despite the last quarter century of “Bungledom”.

I don’t know how the majority of his teammates viewed him, but for a a young kid watching from a distance, Kenny was the kind of man I wanted to become: a fierce competitor, a leader by example, equally gracious in victory or defeat. Humble in the midst of his greatest successes, he’d also take the beatings and the boos with grace and dignity, then get back up and get right back to the line (literally and metaphorically).

Kerry Byrne’s done a great job for years of advocating for Kenny, but it’s time and past time for the rest of us to contribute. I’m glad to see this argument picking up steam.

19. trickbunny says: May 30, 2011 2:19 PM

bostontim says:
    May 30, 2011 10:22 AM

I was thinkin’ the same thing about Obama. My bad.
    ———————————————–

Another blowhard insisting on turning PFT into a political website. Boring and annoying, no matter which side you’re on. Can we stick to football around here?

20. Deb says: May 30, 2011 3:47 PM

@stull60060 …

The fact that you’ve so far gotten 18 thumbs down for saying Kenny “the Snake” Stabler deserves HoF consideration proves most of the people posting on this site are 12 years old and have the football knowledge of navel lint. I like Anderson, but it would be ridiculous for him to go in ahead of Stabler.

21. paulieorkid says: May 30, 2011 5:02 PM

No team-based bias for either team – Steeler allegience for life.

But my take is Anderson and Snake deserve enshrinement.

Both Anderson and Stabler were truly elite players in different but effective ways in the 70’s – an era where passing numbers were not what they are today largely because it was pre-Mel Blount rule and 80% of the decade involved a 14 game schedule.

22. tombreck says: May 30, 2011 5:31 PM

Ken Anderson? Seriously?

I agree, where is Ken Stabler? Heck, I’d put Brian Sipe and Dan Pastorini in the HOF before Anderson.

23. meana55 says: May 30, 2011 5:48 PM

MichaelEdits says: May 30, 2011 1:11 PM

^^Wow… I suppose you’d take Anderson over Manning too. For any football teams sake, lets hope you never have an opportunity to make roster any decisions.

You cannot be serious.

24. siggy00 says: May 30, 2011 7:08 PM

Anderson isn’t a HOF player. He played a long time and only 1981 is a really “big year” for him.

25. quizguy66 says: May 30, 2011 11:38 PM

For Peter King to say a Bengal even be considered to the Hall Of Fame basically is a full endorsement of Ken Anderson’s credentials since Peter King is the biggest Bengals hater alive.

Ken Anderson Belongs.

-QG

26. hendeeze says: May 31, 2011 1:41 AM

Ken Anderson, if it wasnt for your weak arm the WCO may have never come together. Thank you for inspiring Bill!

-Niner Fans

27. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: May 31, 2011 5:34 AM

I know most of you are unfamiliar with the Bengals and their history, but all you have to do is look up the stats. Kenny Anderson was better than Stabler. Both were in SBs, Stabler won his, Anderson lost his to the 49ers, but that’s about all Stabler has on Anderson. Anderson set a season record for completion % (70.55), that stood for almost 3 decades before Drew Brees broke it. His stats and rating were among the league leaders almost his entire career. Too bad he played in small market Cincinnati…

28. bozosforall says: May 31, 2011 10:53 AM

bostontim says:
    May 30, 2011 10:22 AM

I was thinkin’ the same thing about Obama. My bad.

Cheers, BostonTim

___
    You mean like how it took 15 years for the Boston media to get Jim Rice into the Baseball HOF?

GFY, BostonTim

29. thefirstsmilergrogan says: May 31, 2011 2:18 PM

to the folks who love computers and statistics, god bless you. nonetheless, you should actually watch the football games. to compare pass completion percentages between a quarterback who played the first buttoned down version of the west coast with those of a player in the vertical downfield passing game of al davis’s raiders is ridiculous.

to me, stabler at his best was much better than anderson. now not being a stats geek or historian, i don’t know if his run of greatness was enough to garner hof entry.

anderson was consistent, accurate, but never in my book great. but consistency and longevity without greatness do not qualify in my estimation. i think peter king had it right the hall of very very good.

30. Vegas Guy says: Jun 1, 2011 3:10 PM

Anderson definitely belongs in the Hall Of Fame. He held the Most Accurate QB record for years (I think someone broke it recently). But if you want to know why he became inaccurate in later years why don’t you ask about why he has lost feeling in his hands. It’s from a certain playoff game about 30 years ago.

Great QB on a small market team and so got very little press.

31. davidjeffreynash says: Aug 3, 2011 2:58 AM

Grew up in Cincy in the late 70s and the early 80s and watched Kenny Anderson play at Riverfront many times. He was handpicked by Paul Brown and Bill Walsh to run the West Coast offense before anyone had heard of Joe Montana or Steve Young. He won the MVP in 1981. He handily beat Hall of Famer Dan Fouts in the 59 degrees below zero 1981 AFC Champioship. He was deadly accurate. He would have beaten Joe Montana and won Super Bowl 16 if that fat, stupid, coke-sniffing Pete Johnson could have scored in several tries from the one yard line. He had the misfortune of playing in the same Division as Terry Bradshaw and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the mid to late 1970s – which hurt his chances for more postseason appearances. The Bengals only have one ‘career player’ in the HOF in Anthony Munoz (who protected Anderson’s left side); Kenny Anderson should be the second.