Collinsworth preps for lockout by taking high school coaching job

ColllinsworthBengalsGetty Getty Images

As we wait to see whether the NFL will actually have a season in 2011, one prominent member of the media has decided not to sit around.

Cris Collinsworth, a 12-time Emmy winner, former Bengals wideout, and analyst on NBC’s Sunday Night Football, has decided to work as a high school assistant coach while he waits for the lockout to end.

Collinsworth explains at his FootballPros.com site that he’ll be coaching receivers for Highlands High School, at the invitation of head coach Dale Mueller.

“I laughed,” Collinsworth writes.  “He said he was serious.  The pay wasn’t much (zero), but he promised I would have fun.  My son Jac is one of the receivers on the team, and I had already polluted his brain with most of my receiving advice.

“But what the heck, the NFL will probably miss at least half of their season anyway, I agreed.  Today is my first day.  I just got the playbook and I feel like a first year rookie all over again.  The plays are scrambled eggs in my brain, and I feel a little anxious.”

The fact that folks like Collinsworth already are making alternative plans for football season should tell the rest of us everything we need to know.  It’s not looking good for the NFL to start on time in 2011, and the only real question at this point is whether there will be a truncated season or no season at all.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Union
26 Responses to “Collinsworth preps for lockout by taking high school coaching job”
  1. krow101 says: May 31, 2011 11:41 AM

The players taking fake jobs… it’s really kind of a slap in the face to the fans who actually have to work at real jobs.

2. scoops1 says: May 31, 2011 11:47 AM

soon he will be a substitue teacher

3. bobbyhoying says: May 31, 2011 11:48 AM

I keep saying this feels like 87 all over again. Maybe this time we’ll miss the entire season.

4. bengalsown says: May 31, 2011 11:52 AM

It doesn’t even look like the season will start on time, so let’s continuously post about Hard Knocks being turned down!

5. superbengalfan says: May 31, 2011 11:53 AM

“It’s not looking good for the NFL to start on time in 2011, and the only real question at this point is whether there will be a truncated season or no season at all.”

My sentiments as well. Low expectations.

6. aasukisuki says: May 31, 2011 11:54 AM

The fact that Cris Collinsworth has 12 Emmy awards only makes me realize how worthless Emmy awards are.

7. joemontanawasthegreatest says: May 31, 2011 11:58 AM

Definitely going down the path of 82/87 with the shortened season.

I’m not saying the players are stupid but who would let a matter with such a short window for success be decided by the courts?

This could go back and forth for months….

8. supashug says: May 31, 2011 12:32 PM

no season

9. steelersmichele says: May 31, 2011 12:32 PM

I have always planned my Sundays around football. But for the first time in almost 20 years, I booked my vacation without looking at the schedule (I’ll end up missing two games).

superbengalfan, I agree with you–I have low expectations.

10. tombrookshire says: May 31, 2011 12:38 PM

Wouldn’t exactly call this an alternative plan. It is a way for the HC to get some national pub for his HS football team. Once the season starts cranking up, CC is outta there. Who doesn’t know that?

11. purpleman527 says: May 31, 2011 12:43 PM

Simply amazing that only NOW you are coming to grips with the real possibility of no NFL this year.

I have been posting comments since March 3 that unless the players make a serious offer or even bargain in good faith, the 2011 season won’t happen.

With no union rep and no union, the players have screwed themselves and perhaps the entire season.

Thank you DE Smith.

12. sweded775 says: May 31, 2011 12:44 PM

No doubt my expectations are low, I’m actually following the local minor league and college ball will be my savior lol

13. clownburger says: May 31, 2011 12:47 PM

If only the players would agree to sit down and try to negotiate a compromise.

What a shame.

14. steelers101 says: May 31, 2011 12:49 PM

At least most of the players have college degrees. They’ll be fine. (cough)

15. tformation says: May 31, 2011 1:01 PM

Anything to keep Collinsworth away from the microphone. I hate watching games where he does play-by-play. I want a mute-Collinsworth button on my remote.

16. willycents says: May 31, 2011 1:01 PM

steelers101 says:May 31, 2011 12:49 PM

At least most of the players have college degrees. They’ll be fine. (cough)
    ————————————————-

******NEWSFLASH******
    T. Rowe Price and Edward Jones Investments have announced that they have formed a partnership in hiring Dez Bryant to manage their investment and banking operations. They indicate that this was the only manner in which they could afford to pay him for his knowlege and expertise. They have also hired Taliq Aquib as their joint head of security.

17. dansnydersux says: May 31, 2011 1:02 PM

Steelers101, that’s hysterical!

Who knows? Maybe people will start going back to church without an NFL season.

18. ianwhetstone says: May 31, 2011 1:16 PM

“the only real question at this point is whether there will be a truncated season or no season at all.”

Hardly. A truncated offseason and full season still sounds like the most likely outcome.

19. chadmurdigan says: May 31, 2011 1:30 PM

I’m amazed Collingsworth doesn’t have enough socked away to take some serious time off. That’s sure what I’d do if I’d been working all the serious big media jobs he works. Tell me he hasn’t been dragging down high six or low seven figure incomes for the past several years.

20. hobartbaker says: May 31, 2011 1:34 PM

He’s the dad of the tall, skinny, awkward looking kid.

21. clk320cpe says: May 31, 2011 1:42 PM

“I’m not gonna deny it, I walk around with hundred dollar bills hanging out of my pocket…I like girls that aren’t too bright because you can trick ‘em a little bit…high school girls love me. Fourteen to eighteen, I’m a big star with them. As soon as they mature, after they turn 18 years old, they start to figure it out”

This was said by Collinsworth a few years ago. Do we really want this guy in a HS student environment?

22. bsizemore68 says: May 31, 2011 2:28 PM

He was invited by the coach to help out, to coach his son, what father wouldn’t want that? Bill

23. radrntn says: May 31, 2011 2:29 PM

lets just hope there is another team in their league called the raiders, and they beat the crap out of Collinsworth team, so he continue to keep on hating us for all those years we kicked his you know what on the field.

24. justanotherdummy says: May 31, 2011 2:52 PM

Umm, okay. Sure, why not? He has some cash put away, doesn’t need to work, go have fun coaching up your kids’ team. Who wouldn’t do that if the opportunity presented itself? I hope the kids learn something from him.

25. rayguyreturns says: May 31, 2011 6:17 PM

“justanotherdummy says:
    I hope the kids learn something from him.”
    _________________________________

Yeah. Don’t go over the middle.

26. dennis2488 says: May 31, 2011 11:10 PM

there isnt going to be an nfl season.a partial season would be worse than no season.

since the nhl lockout two teams have gone bankrupt and one team just had to move because they couldnt find anybody in the area that wanted a team that lost money every year. this was after the owners got the players to take a paycut and got a strict salary cap put in place. good luck roger goodell and nfl owners because even if you win, everybody will probably end up losing in the end.