Kafka says he’s ready to serve as Vick’s understudy

Philadelphia Eagles v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

With Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb firmly attached to the trading block and the Eagles in need of a No. 2 option behind Mike Vick if/when Kolb is sent packing, there’s a belief in some circles that the Eagles will add a veteran to back up Vick.

Second-year quarterback Mike Kafka thinks that won’t be necessary.  Especially since coach Andy Reid recently said that Kafka may already be ready to handle the job.

“I always have confidence in myself.  But if Coach says that, it’s great,” Kafka recently told Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.  “I’m willing and waiting to take that next step to be that guy.”

Vick agrees.  “If Kevin’s not back, then I think the backup role is a role that Mike Kafka embraces,” Vick told McLane.  “I think he’s ready for it.  I think he’s prepared himself well, and I think that will all translate on the field when it’s all said and done.”

With Reid proving time and again that he knows how to coach up quarterbacks, there’s no reason to believe Kafka can’t handle the job.  And with Vick still prone to put himself in harm’s way by pulling down the ball and heading down the field, Kafka will need to be ready at any moment to come in and play, if he and Vick top the depth chart in 2011.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Kafka says he’s ready to serve as Vick’s understudy”
  1. kspl1 says: May 31, 2011 7:35 AM

Vick won’t get hurt

2. MichaelEdits says: May 31, 2011 7:37 AM

If you’re not the lead dog, the view is always the same.

3. wetdentist says: May 31, 2011 8:30 AM

can’t wait to get rid of Kolb! we got holes to fill ASAP!

4. eagles83 says: May 31, 2011 8:34 AM

I have high hopes for Kafka. I was pretty excited when we got him, even though he was a project I knew Andy and Marty could make him a good QB if anyone could.

5. melonnhead says: May 31, 2011 8:56 AM

Vick won’t get hurt

————————————————–

Vick has been hurt and missed starts in almost every year he’s played an appreciable amount of time.

2002 – sprained shoulder, missed 1 game
    2003 – broken leg, missed 11 games
    2004 – shoulder, 1 game
    2005 – knee, 1 game
    2010 – torn rib cartilage, 3 games

6. skippynj says: May 31, 2011 9:02 AM

For Kafka to transition from a back-up to a starter, he’ll truly have to go through a metamorphosis.

7. GC says: May 31, 2011 9:16 AM

Kafka’s getting a pitbull? How many? He’ll need more than one if he’s going to succeed in a sport like that.

8. nflsucker says: May 31, 2011 9:59 AM

I’ve always wanted to see a Kafka-esque offense. Ought to be totally pointless.

9. nfl25 says: May 31, 2011 10:02 AM

as long as vick keeps running out of bounds when he can and trying to hit the floor b4 he takes a shot, like he did towrads the end of the season, he should be fine. plus the buggest weakness on the eagles last year was right guard, and eagles drafted the best gaurd in the draft, that should help

10. filthfancy says: May 31, 2011 10:33 AM

————————————————–

11. filthfancy says: May 31, 2011 10:34 AM

————————————————–
    This reference, judging from some of the post left here, will be over way too many heads but I love it. Great book.

12. sweded775 says: May 31, 2011 10:48 AM

I’m more concerned about the depth and quality of our O-line Howard Mudd was a great acquisition, I’m intrigued by our draft, I’m looking forward to the rookie gettin nasty! Maybe well have time for 5 n 7 step drops lol

13. caseysarasota says: May 31, 2011 2:38 PM

hey im down for Kafka…he is a great back-up on Madden 11! Im SURE he will do great…MADDEN KNOWS ALL!