Struggles of an undrafted player: “My mom wants me to get a job”

daintaylor

Few people want the lockout to end as badly as the hundreds of former college football players who weren’t drafted but are good enough to get invited to a training camp as an undrafted free agent. For those players, the lockout is a waiting game, as they wonder whether they’ll get a real shot at the NFL, or whether a lengthy lockout will be followed by an abbreviated preseason that doesn’t give undrafted players enough time to prove themselves.

One such undrafted player is Dain Taylor, an outside linebacker from Drake who had 13.5 sacks at the Division I-AA level last year and who’s now living with his parents, working out, and hoping the lockout ends soon.

I know my mom wants me to get a job,” Taylor told the Denver Post, “but she also understands that this is my dream, so she’s going to support me for a while, for a reasonable amount of time.”

Taylor hasn’t lost confidence in his abilities.

“It’s rough,” said Taylor. “You have to put your priorities in order and rethink the whole situation. I know I’m good enough to play in the NFL. I just need to get a shot.”

But he has no way of knowing when he might get that shot.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Struggles of an undrafted player: “My mom wants me to get a job””
  1. canjura says: May 31, 2011 6:57 AM

I wish him the best, this lock out is most affecting team employees and undrafted rookies. Both sides need to get to the table and get this thing done for the sake of the league. Who knows, maybe this kid can be one of the many who fall through the cracks to become a great player.

2. ralphshere says: May 31, 2011 7:12 AM

Go Dain!

Advance in the direction of your dream!

3. jameswestphal says: May 31, 2011 7:22 AM

Nothing like a little hard labor to keep that fire burning. Hope it works out for these undrafted guys.

4. madenatewell says: May 31, 2011 7:27 AM

Imagine all the diamonds in the rough that’d potentially be passed over…these are stories that people love hearing about, a come from nothing success story makes everyone have hope

5. skoobyfl says: May 31, 2011 7:31 AM

Dip dip dip dip dip dip dip dip, dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum …..

6. thetechnocrat says: May 31, 2011 7:35 AM

Better make use of the degree, most undrafted players don’t make it, especially ones from I-AA. Let’s hope it’s not a “sociology” type degree or he’ll be teaching hamburger flipping.

7. cosmos66 says: May 31, 2011 7:35 AM

I agree, Get a job. He has no way to assume that he will be drafted. Get a job, and work out at night after work

8. MichaelEdits says: May 31, 2011 7:39 AM

My mom wanted me to get a job, but since I was spending all my time BBSing at 300 baud on my Commodore 64, she was probably right.

9. garyman1 says: May 31, 2011 7:42 AM

Sounds like a smart, responsible Mother… listen to her Dain.

10. rpiotr01 says: May 31, 2011 7:46 AM

Just keep quiet and put your faith in Chester Pitts. Remember, the $20 mil dollar man is looking out for all you future players. He’s fighting to make sure that when you get the chance to compete for a job a year and a half from now, there will be no minimum salary to get you back on your feet.

11. monsterscream says: May 31, 2011 7:50 AM

His mother must be highly intelligent. Here’s a guy who actually has a legitimate chance to get into an NFL camp and at the least compete for a shot on the practice squad, yet his mom is telling him to be responsible. There are literally hundreds of kids out there with no shot who’s parents are mortgaging the farm to fund their ‘speed camps’. It’s a damn shame.

12. saberstud75 says: May 31, 2011 7:54 AM

Just another player who probably lacks the skills to make it in the real world. Listen to your mom, get a job.

13. duanethomas says: May 31, 2011 7:58 AM

Kids like this are really being hurt, they would normally be in OTA’s and a strength & conditioning program. It would give the coaches a oppurtunity to see how they work and for them to learn the system. Now its going to be tough, and dang near impossible if this things goes into late July, early August. Development will fall to the wayside and the priority will be on preparation which would favor veteran players. This also goes for drafted rookies also, can you imagine Cam Newton starting after a 4 week training camp?

14. biggerballz says: May 31, 2011 8:05 AM

these are the guys i feel bad for during the lockout.

15. imongo says: May 31, 2011 8:25 AM

LOSER! Sleeping till’ noon, waking up and doing bong hits until supper will not endear this turd to his parents. Go to work.

16. cowboysfaninpatriotsland says: May 31, 2011 8:43 AM

I’m sure all the recent college and Law School grads that are waiting tables or pouring drinks are wishing they sat around waiting for that Investment Bank or big Law Firm to start hiring again so they could follow their dreams. Get a job, help bring in some extra income for your family, workout on the side.

17. uflpersonneldirector says: May 31, 2011 8:46 AM

I have been trying to give young men like Dain a job in the UFL but many players like Dain have choosen to wait for the NFL dream rather then sign a contract with the Colonials. If hey sign one of our contracts and the NFL comes for one of them before we go to training camp we would let them go to sign their NFL deal. Mom’s if you want your son to have a job tell them just to call me I have contracts waiting!

18. saberstud75 says: May 31, 2011 8:58 AM

Get a job, workout after you get off of work. That is how the real world works. BTW, your mom also wants you to take out the trash.

19. jimmysee says: May 31, 2011 9:18 AM

Of course we all know the *union* is doing this for kids like him.

(cough cough)

20. abninf says: May 31, 2011 9:22 AM

Get a job. Kurt Warner stocked grocery store shelves and still became a champion.

21. randyinman says: May 31, 2011 9:23 AM

They should go to the UFL or CFL for a season or two.

22. randyinman says: May 31, 2011 9:26 AM

Cosmo66 he already wasn’t drafted.

23. geo1113 says: May 31, 2011 9:37 AM

saberstud75 says:
    May 31, 2011 7:54 AM
    _____________________

He was a finance major. And read the whole thing. She wants him to get a job but recognizes he is working towards a dream and is willing to support for a while.

24. anarchopurplism says: May 31, 2011 10:02 AM

Working would probably help this guy’s mind-set & provide even more fire for working out.

Get busy…..get busy man.

25. saberstud75 says: May 31, 2011 10:29 AM

@geo1113: article never mentions that he was a finance major. BTW, just because these players major in something doesn’t mean they are learning anything, many don’t even go to class. Fact, 70% of NFL players file for bankruptcy within 5 years of retiring, and they almost all attended 3-4 years of college.

26. eaglesfan290 says: May 31, 2011 11:05 AM

Take heart young man in knowing that if you work hard and prepare you may very well get your shot and make a roster or PS.

An Owner is much more likely to sign a rookie who has been working his tail off and has potential over a VET who sat on his A** and played Xbox during the lockout.

27. xxbomberxx says: May 31, 2011 11:08 AM

“My mom wants me to get a job”

Join the club bro, I keep telling mom’s this commenting thing is going to pay off, but nooooooooooooo…

28. greenbaypackerbacker says: May 31, 2011 11:10 AM

The UFL should make themselves more of an attractive option. I would let the players sign a deal and then have a 3 month transfer window.

make the nfl pay for their screw up using the ways of European Futball(soccer). Teams can loan players out short-term.

Why not sign these guys to contracts and in 3 months when football starts if an NFL team wants them great let him go to the highest bidder from an NFL team.

Maybe then they can figure out that this stupid lockout hurt their back pockets too!

29. packerrube13 says: May 31, 2011 11:14 AM

eaglesfan290 says:
    May 31, 2011 11:05 AM

———————————————-

False. There is a better chance they take that veteran who either knows the system, or has the capacity and experience to learn the system faster than a rookie. Also the vets experience seeing the speed of the NFL plays a factor.

Learn football before posting on this site. Thanks.

30. willycents says: May 31, 2011 11:30 AM

How soon before Kessler and DeSmith are filing anti trust suits for all undrafted free agents against the owners alleging that they have no right to not be taking applications from prospective employees?
    Hell, maybe I should contact them (DeSmith and Kessler)…not only would they not take my application as a UFA, maybe I can get something based on age discrimination, being over 60 years old.

31. commandercornpone says: May 31, 2011 6:53 PM

duh doesnt know people like this exist