DirecTV won’t charge for Sunday Ticket until lockout is resolved

1439199_f260

Plenty of you have suggested that fans should respond to the lockout by blocking the automatic renewal of their NFL Sunday Ticket package from DirecTV.  As it turns out, DirecTV has saved you the effort.

In a mass e-mail sent to all Sunday Ticket subscribers, DirecTV has informed customers that “[t]here will be absolutely no charge for your NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription until it is confirmed that the 2011 NFL season will begin.”

The information also has been posted, with somewhat less clarity, on the DirecTV website.

It’s a great gesture by DirecTV, especially since DirecTV currently is on the hook to pay the NFL more than $1 billion in 2011 if no football is played.  Of that amount, $400 million wouldn’t be repaid by the league.

But with the NFL now very skittish about accepting any of the so-called “lockout insurance” money since it would likely have to be shared with the players, DirecTV and the other networks could be off the hook.  Which makes it easier for DirecTV to not exercise its ability to take our money and hold it (and earn interest from it) until games are canceled.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
58 Responses to “DirecTV won’t charge for Sunday Ticket until lockout is resolved”
  1. downsouth49er says: Jun 2, 2011 7:33 PM

I can honestly say that seeing that Sunday Ticket charge is the only time I’m happy to see my DirecTv bill.

2. draftking says: Jun 2, 2011 7:34 PM

A wise move by DirecTV — the deferred revenue is far outweighed by the ill will that demanding cash now could potentially stir up.

3. trbowman says: Jun 2, 2011 7:37 PM

I love DirecTV

4. jpalumbo17 says: Jun 2, 2011 7:39 PM

How about charging $335 for the package? They jacked it up on us real nice.

5. whatsafairway says: Jun 2, 2011 7:40 PM

Smart move by DTV, they’re keeping myself and others of my ilk from cancelling our Sunday Ticket package and possibly not renewing it when/if the season starts.

Oh sure I could still cancel it but not watching my favorite team, who’s market I don’t live in, is not really something I ever wanted. I am an NFL fan, just a really pissed off fan. But not pissed at DTV, at least not today.

6. jc1958cool says: Jun 2, 2011 7:40 PM

wow someone with a brain! everybody else involved $$$ first

7. pacificamjr says: Jun 2, 2011 7:45 PM

gosh DirecTV, thats sooooooooooooooooooo incredibly kind and generous of you! you are the best company EVER!

8. idriveamoped says: Jun 2, 2011 7:47 PM

canceled mine anyways

9. angrytna says: Jun 2, 2011 7:48 PM

Well THANK YOU DirecTV!!!! (Sarcasm). I received that email and will probably cancel anyway. I’ve been a long time subscriber to Sunday Ticket, but I’m fed up with this Labor situation. At the top of my frustration are DeMoron Smith, DrewMoron Smith-Brees and all the other uninformed players talking out their asses. Owners aren’t far behind, but at least they APPEAR to be willing to negotiate. Both sides want to talk about problems and leverage when they should be talking about SOLUTIONS. So, DirecTV can take their easy pay program of 6 payments of $53.99 and screw someone else. We FANS can still make our own statement. If only everyone that felt this way would actually ACT on it.

10. billinva says: Jun 2, 2011 7:50 PM

I’ll probably still cancel it outright.

11. pettergriffen says: Jun 2, 2011 7:52 PM

people should still cancel!!!! send a message people! you can always just call them back once the season starts.. its not like there not gonna charge us eventually… DONT DRINK THE KOOl-AID

12. indycolt45 says: Jun 2, 2011 7:52 PM

Was this headline written by The Onion/Sportspickle?

13. mountaindont says: Jun 2, 2011 7:56 PM

It`s been my experience that Direct TV will automatically bill you for NFL ticket the following season if you had it the previous season. Direct TV will tell you that it`s for my “convenience” BS ! It`s for their convenience. I called them to complain about this and asked “So if I order a UFC fight one time then each time a UFC fight comes on you will automatically rebill me ? They responded “No, of course not” I said “so then why are you automatically re billing me each football season?” They couldn`t quite answer that question

14. contra74 says: Jun 2, 2011 8:01 PM

Well thats nice of them.

15. raiderapologist says: Jun 2, 2011 8:10 PM

The only reason I had Directv is for football. Don’t have it now, won’t have it until they have games to show.

16. koq11357 says: Jun 2, 2011 8:30 PM

“Which makes it easier for DirecTV to not exercise its ability to take our money and hold it (and earn interest from it) until games are canceled.”

==============================

Interest? You mean that thing I used to get back in 2006?

17. rowbear says: Jun 2, 2011 8:30 PM

I’m pleased, but surprised by this decision. DirecTV uses Sunday Ticket to rape it’s customers pretty good.

18. scott8nj says: Jun 2, 2011 8:33 PM

They are making a smart move. It’s never a good idea to piss off millions of customers. If they were going to charge me for games that are not being played, I would not be happy.

19. titsburgfeelers says: Jun 2, 2011 8:44 PM

Dear direct TV. sorry but i wont be purchaseing your overly expencive programing this year not becouse its way over priced but because the nfl has not allowed my team a chance to be better by locking out the players they cannot learn tthe new playbook and spend time with there new coach they also will not let them pick any free agents to better them selves in all im sure the quality of play will fall leauge wide so thanks but no thanks

20. lostsok says: Jun 2, 2011 8:47 PM

This is why DirecTV is all but untouchable. They totally get customer service. I’ve worked for them in the past as both a field installer and doing call center stuff…they are almost obsessive about making customers happy.

The NFL and the NFLPA (I refuse to put that idiotic and childish “*” you guys use) could both learn a lesson for DirecTV.

21. dcowboy77 says: Jun 2, 2011 8:51 PM

Its 325 (not 335) for renewing subscribers.

Also call in august & ask directv to give you a $20 credit for 6 mnths to really make it $215.

Alot of people get the credit as long as your bill is in good standing….ive gotten the credit 3 yrs in a row.

22. stixzidinia says: Jun 2, 2011 8:51 PM

———————
    That’s funny. I’m quite sure “Demoron and Drewmoron” are more informed about the intricacies of the lockout than you are. I’m also quite sure “Demoron and Drewmoron” make more money than your entire family will ever make in their combined lifetimes. And the owners make far more than that.

23. dcowboy77 says: Jun 2, 2011 8:56 PM

ooops really $205.

24. mac3333 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:02 PM

downsouth49er: “I can honestly say that seeing that Sunday Ticket charge is the only time I’m happy to see my DirecTV bill.”

Not me. The monopoly DirecTV has forces us all to pay an arm and a leg for Sunday Ticket. It’s a fantastic product but if it were to be open to a true free market it would probably cost half the price. The NCAA ticket is just over 100 bucks a year. Only because all of the cable and satellite providers have a chance to offer it. I think the MLB package is just over 200 bucks. That’s 162 games per team per year from April to October. Let Time Warner, Dish, Comcast etc etc etc have access to the product. NFL can make the same aggregate profit charging all possible providers as it can offering it as a monopoly to one. The consumer is getting the shaft.

Also, the blackout rules shouldn’t apply. The damn thing is so expensive that if you bought it you should get to see all of the games.

25. vetdana says: Jun 2, 2011 9:02 PM

It’s never a good idea to piss off millions of customers.

Question……Is this not exactly what the NFL,Players & Owners are doing now?

26. geobh says: Jun 2, 2011 9:07 PM

been a subscriber since they started it, till i cancelled this week. got no email about delayed billing.

27. thecgroup says: Jun 2, 2011 9:08 PM

The bottom line is DIRECT TV’s sunday ticket is a monopoly and should be deemed illegal by congress.

If the NFLPA really wanted to get the fans on it side, it should 1.demand that the “SUNDAY” ticket have the ability to purchase a specific TEAM package… (i could careless about the other games on sunday, i only watch one at a time as it is) 2. make sure it is available to every cable/satelite provider (NOT JUST DIRECT TV SUBSCRIBERS).

Not only that the NFL should follow suit along with MLB, NBA and NHL by controlling the internet feeds and offering fans a package to see their team via the internet…

BUT THEN AGAIN this whole thing is about money…. not who gets paid what, but how much money they can gouge us fans for… some of you here don’t seem to get that fact though…. the money they are fighting over is OURS…..

28. rcax29 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:11 PM

Already cancelled! They are selling a flawed product. I live outside the Cincinnati blackout area but get Dayton locals. This gets me blacked out anyway. They know this is a problem, but basically told me to live with it.

29. 2011lockout says: Jun 2, 2011 9:15 PM

The NFL ticket is out of control. It was $79 per year. Now you have to have package plus the ticket. It is doesn’t make sense. A lot of people have cable and want the ticket but we have to pay for cable, A direct TV package, that usually includes a contract, plus the ticket. What a joke.

30. majbobby says: Jun 2, 2011 9:17 PM

I will still be canceling. I find it Ridiculous that as a long time DTV member I am paying 335 for Sunday Ticket and New signups get the Ticket for free

31. jvw1982 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:22 PM

This was a no brainer…..how can you charge someone for a service when the service doesnt exist at the moment…..Only the owners would have balls big enough to try and pull something like that off….

32. st0n3r78 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:24 PM

Id cancel the crap anyways. Its WAY over priced in my opinion. The price consistently goes up when its a higher price to solely own the rights and they pass the cost onto customers.

I hope the dispute between the NFL and Players goes on and causes direct tv to lose its contract. I think we the fans should have the ability to watch any game thats televised from our homes. I mean if companies like comcast / time warner can sell us network channels in different markets, why cant we view the football games in other markets on network channels.

33. savocabol1 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:27 PM

how thoughtful of them not to charge their customers for a product they aren’t delivering…..

34. thomas2727 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:36 PM

I am on hold with Directv to cancel after 8 years. I Reserve the right to change my mind later. But paying $200 for what could be a prorated 8 game season or some other prorated scenario is out of the question in my mind. 16 game season or bust.

35. angrytna says: Jun 2, 2011 9:40 PM

stixzidinia says:
    Jun 2, 2011 8:51 PM

———————

Oooooooohhhhhh, did I strike a nerve??? First, they should know more about the situation, but still have heads up their assess. Last, I think you need to go change your tampon since it’s really hitting you hard this month.

36. thomas2727 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:46 PM

Just got off the phone with Direct cancelling Sunday Ticket. The guy was selling his butt off trying to get me to get new receivers for “free”.

I seemed obvious to me free meant I would have to agree to extend for another year blocking me from cancelling the whole Directv service and moving to another provider.

Nice try Directv. I am not falling for it.

37. belichickee says: Jun 2, 2011 9:51 PM

Hmmmm, then why was the first installment charge on my most recent bill?? I of course promptly called them and cancelled, but still…

38. TheWizard says: Jun 2, 2011 9:51 PM

I’m probably going to drop mine this year and it has nothing to do with the lockout.

The economy is getting a little too tight to afford all the little luxuries we might like to have.

39. FinFan68 says: Jun 2, 2011 9:56 PM

The ability to watch any game is a plus for fans of the NFL but the “service” is way too expensive. Many fans (like myself) live outside the local market area of their favorite teams. Those people would be willing to purchase (for a reasonable price) the ability to watch their team play every game. Team fanbases are spread out all over the place due to college, job transfers, military service, etc. It shouldn’t be too big of a hassle to provide that type of service. If DirecTV won’t provide it, maybe there is a contractual loophole that their competitors could exploit rather than trying for the “all games” package that DTV has.

40. griblets says: Jun 2, 2011 9:57 PM

I’ve been a Sunday Ticket subscriber for 10+ years. I’m tired of the annual price increase. $300+ is too much. I cancelled this evening…before I ever read this topic or the responses. Nice to see others are also. When the price comes down, I’ll come back.

41. giraffesturbation says: Jun 2, 2011 10:15 PM

And what do they plan to do for the people who only signed a 2-yr contract for the right to pay $300+/yr for Sunday Ticket in the first place? Will they be let out of their contracts since DirecTV can no longer promise the service that attracted their business in the first place?

I’m a six year subscriber to DirecTV so this doesn’t really apply to me… but if Sunday Ticket had been cancelled during my initial 2-yr contract, i’d be raising hell on the phone every day until they shredded my contract.

42. atmedic8daily says: Jun 2, 2011 10:29 PM

I wish i found DirecTV before i chose to get married

43. dogsweat1 says: Jun 2, 2011 10:46 PM

The Ticket is not only a rip off-they charge you for 2 months of non Football.

44. buckybadger says: Jun 2, 2011 10:49 PM

If you have DirecTv and want the Sunday ticket you don’t have to pay full price. I have had the Sunday Ticket for 5 years now and I have never paid full price. I pay $180 [30 for 6 months] and that is with HD and streaming.

I also told 3 others about what I did and they also got the same deal. You just call up and complain about the price and they will cut you a deal. I discovered this when I tried to cancel and the guy just offered it up, now I call up every year and ask if something can be done. Never fails.

I also have the premium package and buy several PPV fights a year but one of my buddies isn’t and he got the same deal.

45. sonoco says: Jun 2, 2011 10:53 PM

I canceled mine anyway and my brother plans to . . . for the simple reason that the product is going to suffer this year. Luckily I live within the TV market as my beloved Niners so I’ll get by with what the networks feed me this year.

Maybe I’ll buy it again in 2012 . . . we’ll see.

46. vikinghooper says: Jun 2, 2011 11:09 PM

I already was charged the first installment last month, and I promptly cancelled.
    DirecTV is the fans lever as if all of us cancelled right now, the NFL would lose potentially 18% of it’s revenue stream.
    Think that might get their attention?

47. schmitty2 says: Jun 2, 2011 11:18 PM

We all get hosed on the price fore sure but for me personally it’s worth it. I get to spend 17 Sundays a year locked away in my den cheering and yelling for my team while acting like an idiot and not having a care in the world .(hopefully my wife doesn’t see this or I am a dead man)

48. danthemanhsv says: Jun 3, 2011 1:56 AM

Meanwhile, Directv has let go alot of thier quality long time call center staff in the past year in Huntsville, AL. To replace them with lower paid CSR’s. They get rid of the customer retention agents, Supervisors and managers and replace them with newbies. This is because of the NFL Sunday Ticket revenue not coming in. I work at the site and have seen about 100 people ( experienced, long time people let go for a new hire class making $3.00 to $4.00 an hr less) replaced. Your customer serivce is suffering when you call in. People aren’t expereinced and they do not know the product. Calls that were once quick fixes now take 30 minutes. Just to explain a bill or give a credit.

49. dickroy says: Jun 3, 2011 7:27 AM

@lostsok
    My two daughters have DirecTV. Their service is so bad, one of them canceled it this week. Had just a tornado warning last week and as always “no signal”. I have always heard that it goes out everytime there is a storm. Well its true at least in my area. Sometime they loose it on a cloudy day. They also keep raising the price. Takes three days to get someone out for a problem.
    But then again I pay too much for digital cable. Have about 200 channel of junk and watch only about 12, and they are 50% commercials.

50. dspyank2k11 says: Jun 3, 2011 8:41 AM

Being a Bills fan in Pittsburgh I never get to see the games, unless I drive across the city to a backer bar. – and the Bills arent good enough to make it on to National TV.

In that case, a beer, a meal (which you have to order to watch the games and take up space :-) ) the tip, the gas and wear and tear on your car (PA Potholes)

It all adds up to around $300+ per 16 game season.

If one person could tell me how to get the games online for free, I would drop DirectTV.

51. axespray says: Jun 3, 2011 8:43 AM

“Im so sick of companies totally screwing the consumers to fill their pockets with our money while they give nothing in return.”

typical pro player shill….
    Unions are killing america!

These “companies” are the reason we won world war 2!

52. ace613 says: Jun 3, 2011 9:24 AM

Cancelled mine last night when I got that email. After being on hold for roughly 30 minutes, the CSR asked me why. I said that I was done giving the NFL money. He told me that alot of people have been calling and telling him the same exact thing- and that email was just sent yesterday. Hope DirecTV shares the cancellation numbers with the NFL.

53. fltharley says: Jun 3, 2011 9:28 AM

if the fans really want to get things done they would not watch the nfl channel. ( believe me direct tv will know ) and they should not renew sunday ticket . they should boycott anything football until the owners and players get there act together and get a deal done. i for one have given up my season tickets, i havnt watched the nfl channel for the past 80 days. and i wont watch until roger goodell is fired. he is totally changing the game to some kind of sissy two hand touch league and i wont pay for it. if you really loved the game you should try to preserve the game as it was before roger goodell. and another point how can owners lockout all nfl buisness then turn around and go to indianapolis and hold league meeting where they changed more rules ???? seems to me to be a major unfair labor practice ?

54. bigbeefyd says: Jun 3, 2011 9:29 AM

dickroy says:
    Jun 3, 2011 7:27 AM
    @lostsok
    ———————————————-
    You DO understand that they are sending a very small signal from outer-freakin-SPACE, right? Back in the good old days of rabbit ears antennaes, we couldn’t get local channels clearly if it was raining.

55. xnavyct says: Jun 3, 2011 9:38 AM

Last year I called DirecTV and told them I was going to switch to UVerse, because I could get the RedZone Channel on UVerse for $5 a month, which isn’t even an option with DirecTV.

Took them about 20 minutes to figure out how to do it, but end result is I was able to get RZC from them for free for the entire season. Will be doing the same exact thing this year if/when we have football. Between network games and RZC, I’m good to go.

56. dickroy says: Jun 3, 2011 11:01 AM

I know where the the small signal comes from.
    So mine comes from under the ground through cable.

57. rowbear says: Jun 3, 2011 12:30 PM

Called last night and canceled my Sunday Ticket. I was on hold for 20 minutes first though. When I told her I wanted to cancel, she offered my $20 off a month for 6 months. I told her again that I wanted to cancel, so she canceled me. Something tells me I was her first customer to request this.

58. kwasmo says: Jul 27, 2011 11:55 AM

I just called 5 minutes ago and asked for 20 bucks off for 6 months. She said she couldn’t cut could give me 10 bucks off for 12 months. I said ok so I’m happy.