It didn’t take Terrell Davis long to realize he wasn’t made for coaching

Terrell Davis AP

Don’t look for Terrell Davis to follow the Rod Woodson route from NFL Network to coaching intern to full-time NFL coach.

Davis has done the first two legs of the journey, but an internship with his old boss Mike Shanahan last summer made him realize that the life of the NFL coach wasn’t for him.  Davis was asked by a reader in the Denver Post if he’d ever re-join the Broncos.

“Not as a coach, definitely not as a coach. I did an internship with Mike [Shanahan] and the Redskins last summer and I knew after a week and a half that it wasn’t for me. I think I knew that going in, but I wanted to make sure,” Davis said.

It’s one reason why we respect players that turn into coaches. You have to really love football to accept a job that pays a fraction of the money for double the time.

“I appreciated the opportunity, but the hours are very long. I had heard coaches talk about how they stayed watching film long after the players all went home. . . . Man, I have seen it now,” Davis said.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
13 Responses to “It didn’t take Terrell Davis long to realize he wasn’t made for coaching”
  1. jw731 says: Jun 2, 2011 11:22 AM

Actually……..Terrell is saluting me in this photo, for my witty comments, the fact that i have a job that actually has work involved, and my ability to care less if he coaches or becomes a palentologist…..it’s a gift……

2. greenbaypackerbacker says: Jun 2, 2011 12:50 PM

I don’t think he is saluting… he is trying to block out the sun so that he can see his career disappear in the distance.

3. willycents says: Jun 2, 2011 1:02 PM

Anyone who has coached at any level understands what he means. I coach and sponser a peewee league team and put in around 10 -15 hours a week during the season with practices, games and paperwork relating to that. That is in addition to 40-50 hours at my regular job. Thinking about doing it full time on a professional level, and dealing with the egos involved at higher levels, is scary. Dealing with the parents is bad enough…lol.

4. joetoronto says: Jun 2, 2011 1:10 PM

The guy’s a chooch.

5. scrotiemcb says: Jun 2, 2011 1:16 PM

…and what a career it was, with the obvious highlight being his systematic humiliation of the Green Bay Packers on sports’ biggest stage. If you listen closely, you can almost pick up Leroy Butler still whining like a spurned 3 year old…

Don’t hate ‘em cuz they ran right at you, Leroy…and as awlays, stay classy, GB…

6. animals1977 says: Jun 2, 2011 1:27 PM

“Don’t hate ‘em cuz they ran right at you, Leroy…and as awlays, stay classy, GB…”

As if any of us give two craps about that game anymore. How old were you in 1998 – like, still in your Underoos? No one cares.

Packers 31, Steelers 25. Let us know when you have a Super Bowl trophy without cobwebs on it. The Broncos are horrible. Don’t hate us cuz your team sucks donkey’s nuts. As always, stay classy, Denver, LOL.

7. myballsmyrules says: Jun 2, 2011 1:58 PM

He could only be a part time coach.

Those mysterious “migrains” would sideline him the other half of the time

8. scrotiemcb says: Jun 2, 2011 2:17 PM

“As if any of us give two craps about that game anymore. How old were you in 1998 – like, still in your Underoos? No one cares…”

Leroy Butler cares. Greenbaypackersbackers seems to still care. That overrated fat dude that runs the Browns still cries about it routinely. And, gosh, animals1977, considering the voracity of your little tiffyfit, I think you still care. You can admit it. Its okay. It was probably the most humiliating SB loss in SB history from a fan and player perspective, especially considering the hype and the near mass dismissal of TD and crew during the run up.

9. tbpdog says: Jun 2, 2011 2:33 PM

Don’t hate ‘em cuz they ran right at you, Leroy…and as awlays, stay classy, GB…

Leroy Butler was a f’n pansy. He use to flap his gums before they would play Dallas in the early-mid 90’s about Green bay being the team to beat, Dallas would beat them down and then he would cry and run from the media after the game.

10. 7pints says: Jun 2, 2011 2:44 PM

@greenbaypackerbacker

He’s actually trying to block out the sun to see where Gilbert Brown and his linemen buddies were during the Super Bowl!

11. scoob766 says: Jun 2, 2011 2:58 PM

I wonder how long it will take for Elway to realize he’s not a GM. According to TD he should have realized that already.

12. denvertrue says: Jun 2, 2011 5:02 PM

I think that mudhole that TD stomped in Green Bay’s ass is still pretty moist. Glad you all beat Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl, but Denver sure did pop that GB cherry… 4-1 is pretty great, but remember who put that “1” in you.

13. animals1977 says: Jun 2, 2011 6:14 PM

The Packers are world champions, Ted Thompson is a genius and Favre looks like an idiot. That’s all that matters to me. Congrats to Denver for beating us a decade and a half ago – I really do not care and haven’t for years.

You Packer haters and all the Favre ball-lickers are totally amusing and the fact that you suffered through your own little misery of watching Thompson, McCarthy, and Rodgers win it all, is hilarious. Life is awesome, LOL.