Packers defend decision to keep ring ceremony private

Super Bowl XLV Getty Images

We hear it every year: Besides actually winning the Super Bowl, NFL players often treasure the night they get their Super Bowl rings more than any other.

By the time the rings are doled out, the team has had a chance to soak in the title but haven’t fully moved on to the next season. It’s often the last time the entire group gets together as champions, including those that have since left the team.

The Packers have their ring ceremony on June 16.  It will be a private, team-only affair, which is how every team does it. Apparently that hasn’t sat well with some Packers fans, forcing the team to release a statement on the matter Thursday.

“We relied on past practices,” spokesman Aaron Popkey told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “But it’s intended to be a private event.”

(Media will presumably also be kept on the outside looking in; Michael Silver is said to be preparing an outraged column.)

We know Packers shareholders and fans feel part of the team more than most, but let’s not get carried away.   This is one of the most special nights in the career of an NFL player or employee.

It may hurt for fans to realize, but part of the reason its so special is that fans aren’t allowed in.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Packers defend decision to keep ring ceremony private”
  1. louderthanwords1 says: Jun 3, 2011 10:36 AM

I’m ok with the ring ceremony being private and I’m a Packer fan. As far as I’m concerned the Packers gave enough to the fans every week and by winning the Superbowl. The ring ceremony though should be held private as its the organizations chance to celebrate between themselves.

2. mushroomcloudmofo says: Jun 3, 2011 10:37 AM

I’m a Packer fan who has no problem with how they’re treating it. Let them enjoy their last moments as *this* championship team in private.

3. claymath52 says: Jun 3, 2011 10:38 AM

Every team has their unreasonable HOMER fans…. I hardly believe that fans FORCED the team to release a statement. You guys have been trying to back track ever since your blown story on Rodgers and the cancer victim, but still try to sneak in these stories to show how much you really dis-like the Packers.

4. bordner says: Jun 3, 2011 10:40 AM

I’m a shareholder, but I actually do get it – I’m really not part of the organization.

They should be able to keep it private if that’s what they’ve always done. I don’t remember anyone feeling left out after the ’96 season. The fans will have all year to continue celebrating, and in Green Bay more than most cities, the opportunity to personally congratulate some of the players.

But hopefully, they’ll at least post pictures of it somewhere. Hell, I’d even drop $19.99 for a video of it.

5. henrypuppyhead says: Jun 3, 2011 10:42 AM

Agreed.

Those fans need to shut their yaps. I’m guessing it’s the regular piss ants that have an axe to grind with TT.

Bert is gone kids, let it go.

6. marvsleezy says: Jun 3, 2011 10:47 AM

If its that big of a deal they could just do another ceremony for the fans to watch and just hand them out again. Who cares? Some of them will be up on Ebay soon anyway.

7. packerblitz says: Jun 3, 2011 10:53 AM

I’m a die hard Packers fan, and I have no problem with it. So don’t throw me into the category of fans who don’t understand why “they are not part of the team”. We are not the ones receiving the rings. Let the team who earned those rings enjoy the moment and not have to share it with the world.

8. grennandgold4ever says: Jun 3, 2011 11:00 AM

The ceremony should be private and no fan should be offended. When you are part of a team there are certain things that you just want to celebrate together, with no outside presence. No organization in pro sports better understands it responsibilities and ties with its fan base more than the Packers. That said, as a member of Packers nation, I believe the fan base is knowledgable enough to know that the team should have the opportunity to enjoy the ring ceremony amongst themselves. Stop fretting over these non-issues…let’s get labor peace and get back to football!

9. jd says: Jun 3, 2011 11:04 AM

“Booo hooo, I want to have dinner with Aaron Rodgers!”

~butthurt Cheesehead

10. firethorn1001 says: Jun 3, 2011 11:13 AM

Rings are for the team to look back and celebrate.

Fans get to look back and celebrate when they reveal the stadium championship banner on the 1st home game of the next season.

11. rpiotr01 says: Jun 3, 2011 11:15 AM

I don’t know of any Packer fans who think it shouldn’t be private. Hell, I don’t know of any Packer fans who are even thinking about this ring ceremony right now.

All we want to know is, what’s our starting D-line going to look like this year without Jenkins.

12. purpleguy says: Jun 3, 2011 11:25 AM

You’d think winning the Super Bowl and watching my team suck would be enough. Then again, maybe those whiney cheesers, unlike most of the posters above, don’t have anything else in their lives.

13. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 3, 2011 11:26 AM

All we need as Packer fans is to put in any of the tapes of the last 6 games. Especially beating the Bears twice, the second time on their field for the NFC Championship, that’s reward enough for me.

Let the team have their “Team” Moment. All this is(and get use to it people, it happens to all championship teams) is the media and fans of other teams will pick apart any little thing the team and or a player does to try to put a negative spin on the Superbowl Champs. Jealousy has no bounds.

We are united as Packer Nation and look toward more success in the near future.

14. thingamajig says: Jun 3, 2011 11:27 AM

I’m amazed that anyone would actually want to watch a “ring ceremony”.

15. thephantomstranger says: Jun 3, 2011 11:32 AM

I don’t get it. Don’t the team owners get rings too? How can they keep the owners out of the ceremony? I can understand excluding the regular fans, but the owners should be in the building! I’m sure Carl will find a way to get in.

16. danimalk82 says: Jun 3, 2011 11:37 AM

Hey y’all, check this joke out…

While the Vikings are in Re-building mode, the Packers are in Ring-building mode….. Hey-Yo!

17. SpartaChris says: Jun 3, 2011 11:39 AM

I don’t get why fans feel entitled to be a part of everything. These guys deserve some bit of privacy to celebrate amongst themselves. As a Packers fan, I have NO problem with a private ring ceremony for the players and their families. Screw the media.

18. carlgerbschmidt says: Jun 3, 2011 11:42 AM

Nothing to see here.

I’m thinking about leaving this site in protest of the anti-Packer bias. Show me one fan who thinks they should be allowed to attend this event and I’ll show you a vike fan.

This is an intensely personal and emotional moment for the team to share together. They shared their season, including their historic run, that began aginst the Giants in Green Bay and ended with a Super Bowl win in Dallas, with us. What (real) fan could possibly ask for more?

19. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 3, 2011 11:46 AM

This points out the problem with some fans today. They think because they bought tickets, they can do WHATEVER they want. Working for a sports franchise, I know. I can almost guaruntee this is coming from season ticket holders. Now I’m not saying all season ticket holders are like this, but there a quite a few. This is what I have to say to them… There are hundreds more people on a waiting list for YOUR seat, next please. You are not special because you paid for your tickets first. Just accept the fact that no matter how many other tickets were sold, you will not be left out in the cold, that should be reward enough.

20. smoothjimmyapollo says: Jun 3, 2011 11:54 AM

I thought watching the post-Super Bowl celebration at Lambeau (on TV) was on the boring side, I can’t imagine how boring this would be to watch. If you need a Packer fix in June, watch the SB XLV Championship video. Watching them get their rings would be like watching a class reunion for a class you were not in.

21. MossMoon2Packers says: Jun 3, 2011 12:08 PM

Understandably, they’d rather not been seen publicly gushing over their new jewellery while flitting about in their tutus as TT fellates some players and coaches.

22. blaz0037 says: Jun 3, 2011 12:09 PM

Typical childish Packer fans. These are the same fans who take more pleasure in watching the VIKES LOSE than watching the PACK WIN.

Lotta spite out there in Wisconsin

23. emoney826 says: Jun 3, 2011 12:12 PM

Who cares?! It’s a ring. I don’t need to see every little thing that goes on within the packers organization. We all know they’re champions. Everyone will eventually see the rings. We don’t need to fill lambeau field just to see this. I understand doing it after they brought home the trophy, but I don’t need to see them handed rings.

As long as I know the rings are coming, I’m cool with everything.

24. dempsey63 says: Jun 3, 2011 12:27 PM

The company that produces the rings, Jostens, and the Packers issued a statement that said a commemorative Super Bowl ring would be made available for stockholders and other fans.

Many of those people have interpreted the words to mean: “Every stockholder is going to receive a free Super Bowl ring from the organization.”

BUZZZZZZ…wrong answer. You will have to BUY this knockoff ring when it becomes available. Meanwhile, to those of you expecting a free ring, I received this here Nigerian lottery ticket and…

25. bjamesa says: Jun 3, 2011 12:31 PM

I’m a Packers fan and like all the posts above this one, I could care less. I’m sure there will be photos of the ceremony and the rings and that’s all I need. They gave me one of the greatest post-season runs in the history of the league, how could I complain?

As Packers fans we are part of the organization, not part of the team. Just be happy we are having a ring ceremony…

26. SpartaChris says: Jun 3, 2011 12:31 PM

blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 12:09 PM

Lotta spite out there in Wisconsin
    =================================
    Keep trying, troll. I guarantee we weren’t thinking about the Vikings losing season on our way to winning our 4th Super Bowl.

But hey, better luck next time.

27. melonnhead says: Jun 3, 2011 12:34 PM

“Ownership” of the Packers doensn’t convey much, apparently.

“It’s often the last time the entire group gets together as champions, including those that have since left the team.”

And let’s not forget that the Packers had to be shamed to inviting Super Bowl MVP Desmond Howard, Chris Jacke and Andre Rison were NOT invited to attend the ring ceremony after the Packers’ last Super Bowl win because they were no longer with the Packers.

“It was just free agents that left the team or players who are not going to be with us next year just were not included in a few things. Chris is going to get a ring even if he’s not invited to the official ceremony. He deserves a ring. I’m sorry he feels bad about it.” – Mike Holmgren, before the Packers relented.

28. packerswambulance says: Jun 3, 2011 12:46 PM

29. huskerguy says: Jun 3, 2011 12:56 PM

I think that those making the noise aren’t really Packer fans but Bear and Viking fans wishing they had one.

30. blaz0037 says: Jun 3, 2011 1:12 PM

blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 12:09 PM

Lotta spite out there in Wisconsin
    =================================

But hey, better luck next time.

———————————————-

Well, I am a Vikes fan living in Hudson, WI……and I can only speak from experience. Most of my friends are Pack fans (unfortunately), and they love watching the Pack win, of course….but they are gitty beyond belief when they see the Vikes lose.

31. thedisbackindtown says: Jun 3, 2011 1:22 PM

WEIRD PACKER FANS THAT FEEL ENTITLED?! Thats how most Packer fans are…ID 10 T’s

Packer Fans suck!

32. johnnyb216 says: Jun 3, 2011 1:37 PM

I have no problem with this. That is the way it should be. Not with a bunch of people who had nothing to do with the super bowl victory standing around being a distraction. The fans already had their day when the team brought the trophy back to Lambeau field.

33. domeunit says: Jun 3, 2011 1:37 PM

The Packers are the only publically owned team in the NFL, so from that area I could understand how shareholders would want to see it since there isn’t a training camp.

34. smoothjimmyapollo says: Jun 3, 2011 2:12 PM

“Packers fans getting out of hand? Really? These are the same fans that intentionally confuse “Titles” with “Superbowls”. They won their Titles back when they still wore leather helmets, wool jerseys, there were only 6 teams, or clubs back then, and played hung over….”

I love when people act like titles before the merger don’t count. 12 of the Celtics NBA championships happened before the NBA-ABA merger, but nobody claims that they don’t have 17. Half of the Yankees championships occurred with 16 or fewer teams in the league (none west of St. Louis) and during time periods in which being a minority ballplayer meant you were Irish, but they get to claim 27 as their total. Are people disputing that the Packers are 2010 champions because they didn’t take on the Las Vegas Locomotives of the UFL? What about teams that didn’t defend their championships against the USFL or the XFL? Do you see how asinine this argument is? I think people get confused because a new championship game was created and said game was given a new name.

35. ernieernie says: Jun 3, 2011 2:16 PM

Its not all that private. The Packers invited the Vikings to the ceremony.

I could care less its not public and I think its cool that this is a private event. Some things need to be private. The fans don’t get to sit in on team meetings and watch games films with the team so why would this be an issue.

Its just an issue for some reporter/camera man to take and sell more pictures. The fans don’t care.

36. SpartaChris says: Jun 3, 2011 2:23 PM

blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 1:12 PM

==================================
    Right, and Vikings fans don’t love it when the Packers lose?

Try again..

37. tougie1 says: Jun 3, 2011 2:51 PM

thedicksbackintown says:

Jun 3, 2011 1:22 PM
    WEIRD PACKER FANS THAT FEEL ENTITLED?! Thats how most Packer fans are…ID 10 T’s

Packer Fans suck!

****************************************

Show me a Packers fan who feels entitled to attend this event, better yet, post a link with a story from the WI news media that depicts the same thing.

Your login name says it all!

And yes, Packers fans love it when their RIVALS/the Vikings lose. That’s how you win Championships, you win and they lose, pretty basic stuff.

38. blaz0037 says: Jun 3, 2011 2:56 PM

SpartaChris says:
    Jun 3, 2011 2:23 PM
    blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 1:12 PM

==================================
    Right, and Vikings fans don’t love it when the Packers lose?

Try again..

___________________________

Of course we love it, but try reading my post….My point is that Pack fans are SO filled with spite that they would choose a VIKES loss over a PACK win.

Its a sad, pathetic, spiteful mindset.

39. packattack1967 says: Jun 3, 2011 3:01 PM

Who cares, I just wanna see ‘em in pads..and soon!

40. danimalk82 says: Jun 3, 2011 3:03 PM

@thedisbackindtown

Ha! “ID 10 T”! Get it? Nothing like a little numbers-that-look-like-letters humor, right?

I’m gonna make another number-letter cross reference joke, check it out…

“The Vikings have o titles.”

41. crowdedtrophycase says: Jun 3, 2011 3:14 PM

@ nightman 13

Statement: The city of Green Bay owns the Packers… The Shriners get all the profits from the sale.

False. The local American Legion Post would receive the assets.

Statement:… sell worthless “stock” to fans and use the proceeds to renovate a stadium giving the fans the impression they own part of the team when all they own is a snazzy piece of paper.

False. Most, if not all of the fans who bought “stock” were aware they were non-voting shares and we bought them willingly because we support our team and supported the renovation of the finest stadium in pro football.

Check your facts before you post, delta-bravo…

42. 13xworldchamps says: Jun 3, 2011 3:22 PM

packerswambulance says: Jun 3, 2011 12:46 PM

______________________________________

If you check your facts, 6 of the packers world titles came in what you call the leather helmet era, 7 of them have occurred since 1961.

like it or not, the last team standing are the champions, regardless of decade or time frame

43. SpartaChris says: Jun 3, 2011 3:33 PM

blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 2:56 PM

Its a sad, pathetic, spiteful mindset.
    ====================================
    Riiiiiiight.. I know of no Packer fan, and neither do you, who would rather see the Vikings lose than the Packers win.

44. smoothjimmyapollo says: Jun 3, 2011 3:41 PM

“My point is that Pack fans are SO filled with spite that they would choose a VIKES loss over a PACK win.”

Not true.

While Vikings losses are awesome, a Packers victory always outranks the Vikings result. I do recall even rooting for the Vikings against the Bears late in the season last year only to watch the Vikings show zero pride as the Bears rolled over them. Of course since the team was mathematically eliminated and because it was cold, very few Viking fans actually showed up to see this.

The only possible exception to the Vikings Loss being better than a Packers’ W would be the following:

Let’s say the Packers have won the division, clinched home field advantage, and the Vikings are a playoff bubble team. Let’s say it’s week 17 and the Packers have nothing to play for against another playoff bubble team. If a meaningless Packers victory propelled the Vikings into the playoffs, but a meaningless Packer loss meant the other bubble team edged out the Vikings…I’m not saying I would root for a Packers loss, but I wouldn’t be offended.

45. stavreafavre says: Jun 3, 2011 3:57 PM

You can always find a few people in any large group who are going to be “outraged” about anything which doesn’t center around themselves. One more Pack fan here who couldn’t care less that it’s a private ceremony. That’s how it should be. Besides, open it to the public and there’d probably be someone dressed in lavender and wearing a Heidi wig staggering around inside loudly proclaiming that Christian Ponder is the missing piece of the puzzle.

46. tougie1 says: Jun 3, 2011 3:57 PM

blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 2:56 PM
    SpartaChris says:
    Jun 3, 2011 2:23 PM
    blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 1:12 PM

==================================
    Right, and Vikings fans don’t love it when the Packers lose?

Try again..

___________________________

Its a sad, pathetic, spiteful mindset.

******************************************

Honestly can’t say I know of a Packers fan like that. You’re friends are probably giddy beyond belief because they just love rubbing it in…SMACK TALKING, goes along with being a fan.

Besides the past few years with #4 swinging from that side of the plate it has been a bit more entertaining to see them lose and there has been more joy in Packers nation, but never more than a Packers victory…Again RIVALRY.

47. stairwayto7 says: Jun 3, 2011 4:16 PM

Don’t the Packer fans hold a share of the team and the TEAM AND PLAYERS DO NOT WANT YOU THERE! I guess Rodgers feels some cancer survivors will be there and then he will have to talk to them! By the way Pack fan if not your Raji, a 3rd string QB woudl have beaten you and went to the Super Bowl!

48. tangysizzl says: Jun 3, 2011 5:18 PM

Talk about being sad pathetic spiteful losers, thats the Vikings and most of their fans in a nutshell. “The Land of 10,000 Flakes”

49. blaz0037 says: Jun 3, 2011 5:35 PM

tougie1 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 3:57 PM
    blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 2:56 PM
    SpartaChris says:
    Jun 3, 2011 2:23 PM
    blaz0037 says:
    Jun 3, 2011 1:12 PM

==================================
    Right, and Vikings fans don’t love it when the Packers lose?

Try again..

___________________________

Its a sad, pathetic, spiteful mindset.

******************************************

————————————————

again, read my post. its not smack talk. Its a mindset that a Vikings loss is better than a Packers win. Thats how they think. If you don’t….great, thats how it should be. but facts are facts.

50. melonnhead says: Jun 3, 2011 5:42 PM

False. The local American Legion Post would receive the assets.

——————————————————

I believe they changed the beneficiary to the Green Bay Packers Foundation.

51. melonnhead says: Jun 3, 2011 5:52 PM

—————————————————-

Some of those championships were decided on win/loss record. In the early few years, championships were decided by vote of the owners. After that it went on winning percentage, but they treated ties like they weren’t even played. That’s how the 1930 Packers (10-3-1) were awarded a championship over the NY Giants (13-4-0). The playoff system didn’t start until… 1932 or ’33 I believe?

52. dailynorseman says: Jun 4, 2011 1:17 AM

Liar.

53. packerbacker12 says: Jun 5, 2011 12:08 AM

They won their Titles back when they still wore leather helmets, wool jerseys, there were only 6 teams, or clubs back then, and played hung over…”

Hey dimit last time I checked the NFL didn’t start in the ’70s. It started in 1921 so therefore any championship won between then and now counts.

And one more thing, you Viking ‘fans’ are the most hypocritical apes I have ever seen. You claim that Packer fans litter Viking stories but yet I see you morons littering this Packer story.

It isn’t really that much of a surprise that every fan of every team in this league hate your guts because you morons always claim to be innocent and that everyone is against you when you lose a game.

54. goombar2 says: Jun 5, 2011 1:10 PM

Packer fans rather see vikings lose than Packers win? That’s just stupid talk… The vikings lose too much for my taste and the Pack can’t win enough.

The Packers are a pursuit of perfection. It’s something the Packers chase as a complete organization and anything less is considered a bit of a failure. In return for pursuing perfection the Packers have achieved excellence as a franchise. And that’s the reward.

The vikings are just a good comedy act. They always think there’s an easy way to beat hard work and dedication. The vikes are the polar opposite. So when the vikes lose it’s affirmation that the Packer’s way is the right way.

And sure, through that there is some enjoyment, but most of it comes through laughs. I actually feel a bit bad for vike fans… But only so much as they are part of the problem.