Ray Rice having “an extremely good offseason”

Rice_Ray

When NFL players have said over the last three months that they’re enjoying the lockout, NFL fans haven’t taken kindly to it. But when Ravens running back Ray Rice says he’s having a good offseason, he’s not talking about vacation, rest, relaxing.

Rice told the Baltimore Sun, “It’s been an extremely good offseason,” explaining that he’s been working with kids in his hometown of New Rochelle, New York.

“I try to stay positive,” Rice said. “A lot of things I’ve been doing during this lockout is impacting kids’ lives. And I don’t even preach NFL to them. I preach school, I preach daily life to them. Where I’m at in my career, obviously I’m able to impact these kids’ lives.”

Rice is also staying in shape and was among 27 Ravens working out together last week at Towson University. But without minicamps and OTAs, Rice says the biggest challenge is “time management.”

“I like to say I balance mine out pretty well,” he said.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
16 Responses to “Ray Rice having “an extremely good offseason””
  1. duanethomas says: Jun 3, 2011 8:37 AM

Good job Ray, its rare stories like yours get highlighted by the media or on this site. In order to get readership or clicks on a story they cover Bryant, Talib, etc…..and its a shame.

2. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 3, 2011 8:39 AM

He’ll bounce back from a relatively lackluster 2010 season.

3. raven4life21 says: Jun 3, 2011 8:55 AM

this guy is the epitome of excellence… he is so goodhearted, fun to be around, loves kids to death… and he’s our little mighty mouse here in Bmore! We love ya Ricey!

4. txchief says: Jun 3, 2011 9:15 AM

Good for him. It seems like all ou hear is about the players getting into legal trouble, mouthing of or getting their drank on.

5. waynefontes says: Jun 3, 2011 9:21 AM

Sounds like he has his head on straight, it’s great that he’s having a positive impact on young people’s lives.

Nice to hear a good story like this among the usual depressing stories we’re used to these days.

6. Slackmo says: Jun 3, 2011 9:23 AM

If he keeps up this pace, he will have had the best offseason of any NFL player in history.

7. schmitty2 says: Jun 3, 2011 9:45 AM

I’m drafting 5th in my fantasy league and I definetely have Ray Ray on my radar

8. depack says: Jun 3, 2011 10:26 AM

Rice was actually in Ocean City MD at a club called Seacrets this past weekend according to some big mouth on the beach. Alledgedly Rice showed him his tab which listed 61 shots of Patron. Rice was bragging what a big drinker he is. So before ripping others for “getting their drink on” and other things be careful. I wouldn’t connonize him just yet.

For the record, I’m sure he did not do all the shots by himself and I do not even know who the big mouth was, so this may not even be true, but I thought I would throw it out there since half the shat on this site isn’t true.

9. qj1984 says: Jun 3, 2011 10:27 AM

@berniemadoffsides

Ray Rice had a lackluster season? You cant be serious. The guy had over 1700 yards rushing and receiving. Sure thats down from the 2000 he put up in 09 but since only 5 other guys have accomplished that feat, I think we can cut Ray some slack.

The resurgence of Heap and adding Boldin, cut into his receiving numbers. And a lack luster offensive line hurt his rushing performance. Don’t believe me? Take a look at how much McGahee’s numbers fell. All things considered Ray had a tremendous season.

10. depack says: Jun 3, 2011 10:50 AM

Really? All the thumbs down? I thought 61 shots was pretty impressive. Anyway it is a true story (that I heard some bigmouth talking about it), not sure why all the thumbs down unless you guys don’t wanna hear the truth.

11. ballsdeep24 says: Jun 3, 2011 11:01 AM

NewRo baby. Hometown hero for us Westchester, NY folk.

12. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 3, 2011 11:10 AM

@ qj1984:

No offense meant. I watched Ray’s entire career at Rutgers and was PRAYING he’d be a New York Giant… I’m fully aware of what he’s capable of, and last year he definitely didn’t reach his potential. I didn’t get to watch more than 3-4 Ravens games last season, but he was definitely held at bay in most games (Then again, look at the defenses he faced in 2010).

5.3 YPC in 2009, 4.0 in 2010 (Huge, huge drop).
    7 rush TD’s in 2009, 5 in 2010.
    50 fewer carries in 2009, yet 120 more yards than in 2010.
    78 receptions, 702 yards receiving, 9.0 avg, 9.7 YAC in 2009 (absolutely ridiculous, by the way). 63, 556, 8.8, 9.2 in 2010.

Statisically, he was worse in almost every possible category. As a fantasy football owner, I’m very happy about this – you know people are going to give up on him… not me. Ray doesn’t do anything fancy – he just keeps moving forward.

I think we were all expecting him to hit 1,700 yards rushing, double-digit TD’s. I think he’ll return to form in 2011.

If 2011 ever happens.

13. schmitty2 says: Jun 3, 2011 11:26 AM

depack says:
    Jun 3, 2011 10:50 AM

Your getting the thumbs down because you sound like you work for TMZ. Who gives a crap if he bought 61 shots of Patron. Was he arrested for Public Intoxication? Did he get in a fight?

14. mswravens says: Jun 3, 2011 11:35 AM

@depack – why the thumbs down? It’s not because people don’t want to know the truth…it’s because you’re reporting a 3rd hand story. Provide some personal observation and MAYBE it would be seen as credible. BTW, my paralegal was at Seacrets this weekend, and she didn’t see Ray there…does that mean he wasn’t there???

I like Ray, but I’m not a huge fan. I have heard stories of him being arrogant, off-putting and rude. I encountered him once at a birthday party. My observation was that he was clearly in love with himself, and he was making comments to every woman who passed by like he was G-d’s gift to the women of this world. He was drinking, but in a very normal, responsible way.

But I will say that the other thing I’ve observed here in Bmore is that when the news is reporting on charity stories, Ray Rice is often the guy showing up and giving his time. I can accept that an extremely talented professional athlete may be arrogant & in love with himself. Most of them probably are…but Ray has shown himself time and time again to do the right thing when it comes to helping others. In light of that, I don’t expect that some 3rd hand report of him throwing down shots at a beach hot spot is going to get you a lot of thumbs up, IMHO…

15. depack says: Jun 3, 2011 11:59 AM

@ schmitty2 you do realize that you are posting on a “Rumors” site. This IS the TMZ of the sports sites. Ironic huh?

16. schmitty2 says: Jun 3, 2011 2:23 PM

depack says:
    Jun 3, 2011 11:59 AM

yeah I fully realize its a rumors site but leave the rumors up to the PFT guys and not some drunk dude on a beach