FedEx Field appears to be shrinking

redskins Getty Images

At a time when the NFL reportedly is considering allowing teams to cover up seats they can’t sell, the Redskins apparently are physically removing them.

Though there’s no indication that the Redskins can’t sell out a venue that, according to the 2010 NFL Record & Fact Book, has a capacity of 91,704, Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post has been keeping close watch on the apparent removal of seats from the upper deck of the stadium.  Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie recently told Steinberg that an announcement regarding a so-called “party deck” at FedEx Field is coming soon.

Unless, of course, the price of those tickets will sufficiently be increased to make up for the difference, with the assumption that enough of the current season-ticket holders and/or folks on the waiting list will pay up for access to the party deck.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Washington Redskins
25 Responses to “FedEx Field appears to be shrinking”
  1. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 5, 2011 6:36 PM

“The effort presumably will reduce the capacity, which tends to counter the notion that the team has a season-ticket waiting list in excess of six figures.”

They might still have the list BUT they’ve gone through it multiple times. I gave up my tickets in protest over ownership and they’ve offered me better tickets FIVE times. I had a friend on the wait list that was told it would be TEN years. They’ve offered him seats FOUR times and he’s declined. They might still have the list, but they keep going through it. It’s a joke.

2. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 5, 2011 6:40 PM

Stub Hub has been the death of the Skins waiting list. Tickets are readily available on stub hub. I can’t take my kids to games, the fans have all turned into awful people vs. the old RFK days. So I gave them up and I simply purchase tickets(to better seats) when and if I want to go to a game. It used to be you HAD to have season tickets to ever go to a game. Much has changed re:Skins tickets and it seems the media (and PFT) has missed it completely. There is no real waiting list anymore. Call up tomorrow and you can get tix. I promise you. Even if they pretend to put you on the wait list, you’ll get a call in a couple weeks.

3. jahbird says: Jun 5, 2011 7:19 PM

My Dad put his name on the list in the 80’s and didn’t hear a peep from the Skins for 15 or 20 years, now they call or mail to offer him tickets four or five times a year. That waiting list is really just a running tally of pissed off skins fans who love the team but don’t want to put a red cent in Dan Snyder’s pocket.

4. beastofeden says: Jun 5, 2011 7:36 PM

Stadium full of opposing fans.
    Hardly an ounce of home field advantage.
    John Beck at QB.
    Skins down by 17 in the 1st half.

5. h8dansnyder says: Jun 5, 2011 7:49 PM

All the above is true. I have 6 season tickets, and they still call me asking to buy more.

6. Chris Guest says: Jun 5, 2011 8:20 PM

More than likely they are swapping out seats to put a new design on those seats

7. eaglescouch says: Jun 5, 2011 8:22 PM

Snyder probably needed them for Six Flags.

8. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 5, 2011 8:37 PM

“Does anyone have a civil engineering degree. It would cost tens of millions of dollars to transform that area into a flat enough area for a party deck. The angle on those seats is absurd. You might as well build a new stadium.

More than likely they are swapping out seats to put a new design on those seats”

I think it’s more that if they can’t sell them, they take them out and still have a “sell out”. PLEASE DANNY BOY SELL THE TEAM. PLEASE!!!!

9. goombar2 says: Jun 5, 2011 9:13 PM

Yeah, I couldn’t believe Washington fans could keep getting had by an idiot owner. I knew sooner or later something was going to give. I mean, Washington fans had been known through the 80’s as being a pretty knowledgeable group.

I understand they love their team, but supporting Snyder… It’s like Chinese finger trap. You aren’t helping by giving him your hard earned money. He’ll only keep screwing things up.

10. freedomispopular says: Jun 5, 2011 9:29 PM

What they haven’t told anyone is that the party deck is actually for the players.

11. southyank7 says: Jun 5, 2011 10:13 PM

NFL lockout teetering on the edge about to “FALL OFF THE CLIFF” for @ least 1 full calendar year..
    NBA lockout looming…

I want to see headlines that with a mix of bad economy, lockout, rising costs, salaries, etc…
    @ least 2 teams in all 4 major pro sports FOLDS / CONTRACTS… which will hurt at first but in the long run will be better for all 4 leagues…

12. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Jun 5, 2011 10:32 PM

FedEx Field appears to be shrinking

——————————-

So it will be more proportionate to Little Danny?

As a lifelone Cowgirls fan who has lived in NoVa, I feel for you Redskins fans because I used to think that it couldn’t be worse that Jerrah…

13. tommybr4 says: Jun 5, 2011 10:42 PM

As long as he has not lost any speed, he should be atleast a number 2 for most NFL teams.

14. bigjd says: Jun 5, 2011 10:56 PM

If you don’t have a parking pass it’s a real pain to go the game. It’s easier to stay home and watch it on TV. That way it takes 3 hours out of your day, not 10

15. atmedic8daily says: Jun 5, 2011 11:57 PM

I wish the lockout would end so the Skins can sign someone for way too much… Thus making me feel better bout my Bengals.

Plax to Washington??

16. donlou52 says: Jun 6, 2011 12:27 AM

Danny is trying to follow Jerry’s footsteps here. However, I doubt they’ll be as low cost as the ones in the stadium with the 184738292 TVs and the 1 huge one. 30 bucks to go to a game is a pretty good deal, not to mention the good views and the fact that everything in the stadium food price wise seemed on track with what I’ve seen at Heinz Field and the Browns stadium.

Danny will probably try and sell you more 9/11 Memorial stuff to make a quick buck off you too, or lousy mattresses, or phone company deals….

As a person who hates the Redskins, I can honestly say I actually feel bad for the fans.

17. suhperman says: Jun 6, 2011 1:24 AM

Why don’t they take out the seats that Snyder put right behind giant columns instead of the ones on the upper deck?

18. rajbais says: Jun 6, 2011 1:24 AM

So Daniel Snyder listened to Chad Dukes!

For those who don’t know please search “Chad Dukes rant” on YouTube.

19. kevinfromphilly says: Jun 6, 2011 5:53 AM

Gotta agree with bigjd – if it weren’t for the fact that Eagles games are the only times I get to see my old buddies from college anymore, I would have dropped those season tix a long time ago. And the Linc is a LOT easier to get in to and out of than FedEx.

20. Chris Guest says: Jun 6, 2011 7:12 AM

alwaysnextyear,

It is easier and cheaper to buy a tarp and cover over the seats than to take them out. Eventually, they’ll have a good season and people will buy those seats. Also, numerous people that sit in those seats that were taken have said they haven’t been contacted about moving.

21. hendawg21 says: Jun 6, 2011 8:02 AM

So what’s your point with this story? You know how long this story was reported almost a week ago and PFT is just getting to it…

Story lines must be hard to come by these days with the lockout…yes I too have given up my season tickets about 4 years ago and still get offers to come back.

The Skins are still a big draw in the Metro D.C. area and still do better no matter how bad they’ve played or the fact that people don’t like the Danny…at least it doesn’t look like some of the other stadiums that when they do play well you still see plenty of empty seats you hear me Atlanta, Miami, Jacksonville and sometimes Tampa etc.,

Redskin fans are still diehard and loyal and yes fed up with a few things but winning will cure that…sure no super bowl since 92 but we’re still diehard…a tru fan stays through the good the bad and the ugly every team will/has and will again go through seasons as such no team is immune from it…

22. boysroll says: Jun 6, 2011 8:59 AM

i have been to this stadium once when my boys skunked the 4skins and there were 70% boys fans and 30% 4skin fans. Loved that beat down thoroughly and talked so much trash to the 4skin fans. From what i undertstand that is the ratio for most games and there is no waiting list for this joke of a team.

First off it is the biggest joke to travel in to and is the worst stadium I have been to thus far ( I have been to 5 other stadiums).

I have been to cowboys stadium and it is night and day. weasel boy will never be able to hold JJ jock strap as long as he owns this dysfunctional org and in our lifetime will never achieve the 3 SB’s JJ has in his pocket with 3 more to come this decade. We are stacked for another run this decade.

Book it dano….LMAO.

23. stealthjunk says: Jun 6, 2011 9:54 AM

I can also confirm there is no waiting list anymore. I signed up for the “waiting list” when I moved to DC a three years ago thinking that I might get some seats in about 10-20 years. Instead, the Redskins haven’t stopped calling me the last 2 years to try to get me to buy tickets. There seem to be plenty.

24. calzone21411 says: Jun 6, 2011 3:08 PM

whatever “list” Danny Boy has is basically a please call me in a month and offer me season tickets that I will turn down list.

25. namedonam says: Jun 18, 2011 6:35 PM

From what I’ve seen on a couple of blogs, they are entirely removing the concrete sections to flatten it out. Little to no news on it here in the DC area though.

Would love to see them make it like a sports bar area, where you could watch all the other games while watching the Redskins game live. Doubt they have the smarts to do that though.