Not-so-secret meetings caused a stir in St. Charles

Jerry Jones AP

Last week, when the NFL and the NFLPA* decided to engage in several days of secret meetings in the Chicago area, they had to pick a place for the sessions — and a place to sleep at night.  They selected the Hotel Baker in St. Charles, Illinois, to the surprise of the staff and other local residents.

Al Lagattolla of the Kane County Chronicle reports that the sessions featured tight efforts to ensure privacy, including the covering of all windows when the folks gathered for the talks were eating in a hotel restaurant.  “They didn’t make us sign anything for confidentiality, but they requested that it be kept confidential,” Hotel Baker general manager Rowena Salas told Lagattolla.  “We had to adhere to that and they were pleased with how we kept it so private.”

Once word of the talks began to make its way into the media, however, one of the owners decided to leave the campus.

Jerry Jones.

He wanted to listen to music, so Salas recommended McNally’s Irish Pub.  Jones arrived at 9:00 p.m. and stayed until 11:30 p.m., and he reportedly was the “life of the party.”

It’s unclear when or if the not-so-secret talks will continue in not-so-secret fashion.  If they do, another town in some out-of-the-way place could soon get a surprise.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
30 Responses to “Not-so-secret meetings caused a stir in St. Charles”
  1. thetooloftools says: Jun 5, 2011 5:36 PM

They will now move to double secret probation talks.
    Can’t imagine “Plastoid” Jones being the life of anything though.
    Must be a really small town.

2. waldoampere says: Jun 5, 2011 5:43 PM

Good ol’ Jerry had to listen to his music, have a brew, and be the life of the party. Imagine what he might have done if it weren’t a secret meeting.

3. ICDogg says: Jun 5, 2011 5:55 PM

They could always come to my town. We’re all oblivious here.

4. waccoforflacco says: Jun 5, 2011 6:01 PM

Ole Jerrah is known for getting sloshed at bars and saying things he should keep quiet about. And since he buys a round or two he has lots of instant friends.

5. bleedgreen says: Jun 5, 2011 6:01 PM

Did he get hammered and trash talk Tony Romo again?

6. skoobyfl says: Jun 5, 2011 6:04 PM

Irish Spring Field, I can see it now.

7. iplaybingowitholdpeopleandwin says: Jun 5, 2011 6:09 PM

These words probably got the party started: “Beer and plastic surgery on me!”

8. cowboysfaninpatriotsland says: Jun 5, 2011 6:12 PM

Maybe next time they have a secret meeting, they should try some place like Evansville, IN.

9. jimmysee says: Jun 5, 2011 6:48 PM

That’s funny — he doesn’t look Irish!

(Anyway, you can always tell the Irish — but you can’t tell them much.)

10. hedleykow says: Jun 5, 2011 6:50 PM

On his stroll to the bar, Jerry was overheard telling his body guard that “it’s not over ’til the fat lady sings.”

11. abninf says: Jun 5, 2011 7:00 PM

There’s not a guy here who wouldn’t party with JJ. I’d be his wingman.

12. GG Eden says: Jun 5, 2011 7:26 PM

Thru this lockout dispute, the NFL and NFLPA remind so much of the bungling Control and Kaos, and that comical world of espionage.

13. descendency says: Jun 5, 2011 7:29 PM

I just googled the “Hotel Baker” and … wow. Nice place.

I think I could negotiate for a week or more if I were there…

14. scott8nj says: Jun 5, 2011 7:33 PM

Maybe next we can have a secret settlement and start talking about football again.

15. realfann says: Jun 5, 2011 7:39 PM

How much Jerry uses the Cowboys jet for personal travel would be an example of one of the things he’s trying to hide by not disclosing the books.

And how much he pays himself to be the teams general manager.

I’m guessing he’s the highest paid employee in the whole league.

Only a guess. Be glad to be proved inaccurate.

16. scrotiemcb says: Jun 5, 2011 7:45 PM

How can there be any real hope when the owners have a guy walking point who’s craving for the spotlight dwarfs that of a spoiled adolescent girl? If Jerry Jones is truly one of the best and brightest in the cabal, then there’s really no question that a cliff is on horizon. It’s not so much a question of if they’ll all pluck and kill the golden goose, but rather when and how soon…

17. schemefactory says: Jun 5, 2011 7:52 PM

who the eff would ever go to ellanoise voluntarily?

18. clintonrb says: Jun 5, 2011 7:56 PM

Jerry jones showed everyone the hot knives technique at the Irish pub….great times were had by all…

19. beefbus says: Jun 5, 2011 8:27 PM

Hysterical. I wish I was in town to see family and friends in St. Charles, cause McNally’s is a great spot, and would’ve been fun to party with Jerry.

20. smokehouse56 says: Jun 5, 2011 9:20 PM

abninf, you might be a butt for a celebrity. I wouldn’t get withing 50 yards of JJ and his ilk.

21. philtration says: Jun 5, 2011 9:25 PM

descendency says: Jun 5, 2011 7:29 PM

I just googled the “Hotel Baker” and … wow. Nice place.

I think I could negotiate for a week or more if I were there…
    =====================================

I have been there and it is a nice place.
    St. Charles is a nice town too.

22. stceast55 says: Jun 5, 2011 9:58 PM

It scares me to know that Jerry Jones was that close to me

23. ccooww says: Jun 5, 2011 10:15 PM

If they want to meet in a real secret place, let me suggest the Howard Johnson in Kokomo In. Great place to hide from the media. Great bar acrosd street from the Chrysler transmisson plant. Met Edith there once. We had a great time. She installed the torgue converter in the transmisson.

24. melonnhead says: Jun 5, 2011 10:18 PM

And how much he pays himself to be the teams general manager.

I’m guessing he’s the highest paid employee in the whole league.

Only a guess. Be glad to be proved inaccurate.

———————————————————–

It’s no more your business than it is the players’ business, you know. Did you or the players plop down 9 figures to buy the team, then another 9 figures to build a stadium? No? Then quit worrying about what Jerry Jones does with HIS MONEY.

25. melonnhead says: Jun 5, 2011 10:20 PM

———————————————————

Get real, Jerry Jones practically had to drag the other owners into making the NFL a $9 bil a year business.

26. melonnhead says: Jun 5, 2011 10:26 PM

I’m guessing he’s the highest paid employee in the whole league.

——————————————————

By the way, I’m betting that’s Mike Brown or Ralph Wilson. Most NFL revenue is shared, the difference is how much the owners put back into the team. On top of that, Jones pays out of his pocket into the pool for “poor” owners like Wilson and Brown and I doubt they put much of that money into their teams either.

27. paullewisville says: Jun 5, 2011 11:10 PM

Jerry Jones is a motivated owner: he has an expensive mortgage to pay for his new stadium. And he can’t cut back on employee pay because too many are part of his family.

Now what we need is a lawyer for the NFLPA* who isn’t getting paid by the billable hour. But it’s in De-moron’s best financial interest that he drag it out as long as possible. Has De-moron made a counter-offer to the TWO offers the owners have made? NO! Has De-moron made the offers from the owners available to the players and their agents? OF COURSE NOT!!! De-moron is only in this to pad his pockets without concern for anybody else. Not the players or the fans.

De-moron is the worst person for pro football, it’s players, it’s owners and most importantly the fans.

28. hedleykow says: Jun 6, 2011 12:35 AM

@melonnhead

Dude, you might want to consider not posting anymore comments after your 18th beer.

Just a helpful suggestion.

Thank you.

29. narutofan10 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:00 AM

what was the point of going out of your way in this article to basically try and bash jones under your breath this site is so obvious with the cowboy hate

30. frug says: Jun 6, 2011 2:09 AM

Holy crap, I live in St. Charles and suddenly really wish I had hit up McNally’s on Wednesday even though I loath Jerry Jones with every bone in my body.

This really is a big couple of weeks for us since tomorrow Richard Marx will be recording a PBS special at theater almost directly across the street from the Baker and he will have Hugh Jackman contribute on a few songs. And yes by Hugh Jackman I mean the guy who plays Wolverine. And no, I have no interest in actually seeing this because Richard Marx bores the hell out of me.