Jared Allen on losing his mullet: “It’s in my heart still”

Minnesota Vikings v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

We had three time Pro Bowler Jared Allen on PFT Live Monday and talked about a lot of important things like the Christian Ponder’s ability to start as a rookie and Allen’s work with the Wounded Warrior Project .  (Florio will have more on that soon.)

And then we got to the real important stuff:  Allen’s 2004 Halloween outfit, and whether his mullet will ever return.

“I want to grow it back. But it takes forever,” Allen told Florio.  “It’s in my heart still. It’s still a way of life. Sometimes you gotta do things for love and for your parents and I cut the mullet for my wedding. Hopefully the Propecia helps and keeps my hair from falling out.”

Awesome. We’ll let Allen tell the Halloween story below because he does it better than we could.

For the rest of the interview, head to the PFT Live homepage or download the show  at iTunes.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Jared Allen on losing his mullet: “It’s in my heart still””
  1. claymath52 says: Jun 6, 2011 5:32 PM

Just a little late in the picture up top….BELT

2. dannerparty says: Jun 6, 2011 5:41 PM

hey Jared, you can still rock a wicked mullet if you go bald. It’s called a ‘skullet’!!

3. indywilson40 says: Jun 6, 2011 5:42 PM

Mulletts rock and YOU’RE the loser if you DON’T have one!!!

4. packerrube13 says: Jun 6, 2011 5:44 PM

As a Packer fan, I love this guy. He’s all heart and style, he loves the game and plays it right.

I’m a fan.

5. buhbay1c says: Jun 6, 2011 5:57 PM

claymath52 says
    Just a little late in the picture up top….BELT

Super Bowl ring or not, if your celebratory gimmick is that of a 12 year old WWE fan, then you are a dork. Thanks for chiming in though Clay, please go wash the lice out of your copycat hairdo.

6. 504in860 says: Jun 6, 2011 6:00 PM

One of the most overrated players in the league.

7. trbowman says: Jun 6, 2011 6:00 PM

Ryan Fitzpatricks Beard > Jared Allens mullet

8. august1969 says: Jun 6, 2011 6:05 PM

cool guy

9. ravenator says: Jun 6, 2011 6:20 PM

They must have a “no mullet” rule as part of the dress code for the Los Angeles Vikings.

10. thephantomstranger says: Jun 6, 2011 6:20 PM

This guy is as entertaining as they come in pro sports. He does a 30-minute radio show during the season that’s basically him riffing about whatever and it’s usually pretty good listening.

11. gdeli says: Jun 6, 2011 6:23 PM

bring it back! the wife shouldn’t care if she loves you. give us some fun since we will probably be last place again. just being honest.

12. rjblitz02 says: Jun 6, 2011 6:26 PM

This is one painful offseason.

13. granadafan says: Jun 6, 2011 6:28 PM

You know you’re a redneck if…..

14. schemefactory says: Jun 6, 2011 6:40 PM

packerrube 13: you should wear your purple favre jersey to work. you work as a lingerie salesman, right?

15. jimr10 says: Jun 6, 2011 6:51 PM

I am so glad this information was passed along to everyone. Now, i will be able to sleep tonight.

16. supersuckers3 says: Jun 6, 2011 6:59 PM

Jared Allen’s lucky he’s in football for Christ’s sake. He traded away by the GD Kansas City Chiefs for a kings ransom. Minnesota thought they could bring in Jared Allen and he could enjoy a football game from the sidelines on first and second down like any other f’ing fan, and have the ability to make knock a QB on his ass every now and then on third down. This CS should mind his own business and let Frazier ponder Ponder’s ability to start as a rookie QB and Minnesota would be alot better off!!!!

17. schemefactory says: Jun 6, 2011 7:08 PM

in his heart? can they do a mulletplasty?

18. stellarperformance says: Jun 6, 2011 7:09 PM

Didn’t this guy get married recently? Do you really have to wonder why he got his mullet cut off? He also has been told that he can no longer wear his baseball cap backwards…because that too requires you to be younger than nineteen.

19. biggerballz says: Jun 6, 2011 7:27 PM

You might be a red neck if…

20. kingjoe1 says: Jun 6, 2011 7:38 PM

WFC!

21. balzosteel says: Jun 6, 2011 7:38 PM

Yeah, this whole mullet craze with Jared Allen was hilarious…….3 years ago. Honestly though, there is nothing cool at all about a grown man parading about town in a ‘Nebraskan Neckwarmer’ with multiple DUI’s on his record. Just sayin’.

22. msclemons67 says: Jun 6, 2011 7:39 PM

His mullet is still there in his achy-break heart.

23. vikefan says: Jun 6, 2011 7:41 PM

One of the most overrated players in the league
    *******************************************
    if u define overrated as someone who changes how the game is played once in a while, plays for the love of the game like a little school boy, actually has a heat and cares about his community and tries to have fun instead of being a complete stiff and snob, then i completely agree. personally met him at a signing event last year with my boys and he is truly one of the nicest “what u see is what u get” ppl ever. it was after his wedding and he was cracking jokes bout being married. I would put him up their with the randall mcdaniels and john randles of not only on field performance, but off field community guy as well.

24. bensstinkyfingers says: Jun 6, 2011 8:21 PM

Jared Allen is a pretty cool dude, but you rub some dirt on his face and cross one eye and he’d fit right in with the cast of the wrong turn movies. Check out the chompers in the 2nd pic , they’re white but he’s got more gums than Wrigley.

25. steelertom says: Jun 6, 2011 8:23 PM

i miss my mullet. it was so rockin.

26. supersuckers3 says: Jun 6, 2011 8:31 PM

vikefan says:
    Jun 6, 2011 7:41 PM
    One of the most overrated players in the league
    ————————–

Very well said. Short and sweet. Nice to see a Minnesota fan recognize a overrated role playing baffoon on his own team. Kudos to you sir.

27. woodyg says: Jun 6, 2011 8:42 PM

Allen is a hack ….. Always has been & always will be ….

He will never again play on a winning team in the NFL ….. Take it to the bank ….

28. supersuckers3 says: Jun 6, 2011 8:44 PM

“I would put him up their with the randall mcdaniels and john randles”

——

Up where exactly in NFL terms? Championshipless under achievers?

29. vikefan says: Jun 6, 2011 9:27 PM

******************************************
    ……and by overrated role playing baffoon you mean someone who is a 3 down player, brings awesome energy & talent, who had 1 bad year last year, that never wants to come off the field, and changes the way offenses block, then u would be spot on. kudos to you

30. hobartbaker says: Jun 6, 2011 9:45 PM

The mullet is still there but it’s covered by his shirt. Starts at top of his shoulders and flows down past his ass.

31. phuckyouall says: Jun 6, 2011 10:06 PM

As usual there are some very misinformed turds on this site. 40 sacks in 3 years is overrated? Yeah right. Guess I wouldn’t expect anything less from someone named 504in850 or the aptly named supersuckers3. Sounds like personal problems.

32. kilo0986 says: Jun 6, 2011 10:27 PM

I wouldve liked to see Jared Allen’s mullet throw down with Brett Kiesel’s beard…. sadly both are gone……*sobs*

33. phantomthebusybody says: Jun 6, 2011 10:40 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Jun 6, 2011 6:20 PM

_____________

Yeah, too bad he’s not so good on the field anymore….

34. ndnut says: Jun 6, 2011 11:01 PM

When he cut his mullet before last season it seemed like he didn’t do quite as good as the year before. Whether this is age, OL strategy or cutting the mullet I don’t know. But it does seem like quite a coincidence.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. 504in860 says: Jun 6, 2011 11:03 PM

Like I said, overrated. Now who wants war?

36. 504in860 says: Jun 6, 2011 11:07 PM

———————————————-

It’s 860 first of all…but yeah, it’s not as good as “phuckyouall” right? Vikings suck.

37. moolah954 says: Jun 7, 2011 1:02 AM

business in the front party in the back

38. brewdogg says: Jun 7, 2011 2:22 AM

(sigh)…… okay, here we go again…..

Jared Allen’s AVERAGE in 3 seasons in Minnesota:
    55 tackles, 13.3 sacks, 1 safety, 4.3 Pdef, 1 int, 3 FF

Clay Matthews’ 2010 season
    60 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 0 sefety, 4 Pdef, 1 int, 2 FF

But let’s take it a step farther….. Since the Vikings secondary is supposed to be so terrible and the Packers is supposed to be just the bestest in the whole gosh darn league, wouldn’t it make sense that Matthews would a) have more opportunity to get coverage sacks, and b) have more opportunities to make plays on dump-offs to backs and TEs? And yet, numbers don’t lie…..,

So who do you have overrated, ye obnoxious and ill-informed Packer trolls?

And since the hair has come up too, how can you revere Matthews and mock Allen? Seriously, the dude looks like an older version of the kids from Hanson…… It’s like he’s going for the Fabio look and failing miserably.

39. vikefan says: Jun 7, 2011 10:10 AM

Like I said, overrated. Now who wants war?

******************************************

u dont fix stupidity with war, u fix it with knowledge, good luck learning something.

40. 504in860 says: Jun 7, 2011 11:28 AM

Let me know when Jared Allen shows up in big games. Granted, the Vikings won’t be playing any big games anytime soon, but yeah…let me know when that happens.

41. claymath52 says: Jun 7, 2011 11:40 AM

brewdogg says:
    Jun 7, 2011 2:22 AM
    (sigh)…… okay, here we go again…..

Jared Allen’s AVERAGE in 3 seasons in Minnesota:
    55 tackles, 13.3 sacks, 1 safety, 4.3 Pdef, 1 int, 3 FF

Clay Matthews’ 2010 season
    60 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 0 sefety, 4 Pdef, 1 int, 2 FF

So who do you have overrated, ye obnoxious and ill-informed Packer trolls?

______________________________________________________________________

(sigh)…… okay, here we go again…..

Clay Matthews > Jared Allen. Not even close….

42. vikefan says: Jun 7, 2011 11:47 AM

*****************************************
    well u have shown up with a mouth, why dont u ask him yourself on his radio show?………let me know when that happens

43. brewdogg says: Jun 7, 2011 1:13 PM

claymath52 says:
    Jun 7, 2011 11:40 AM

(sigh)…… okay, here we go again…..

Clay Matthews > Jared Allen. Not even close….
    ——————————————–

Ooh, zing….. What’s next?

My daddy > your daddy?

Let me know when you are off the kiddie leash.

44. brewdogg says: Jun 7, 2011 4:08 PM

504in860 says:
    Jun 7, 2011 11:28 AM
    ——————————————-

You mean like the 3 sacks and 2 FFs he has put up in postseason play for the Vikes? Oh wait, those wouldn’t count, now would they….. Not if they go against your asinine POV…..

45. supersuckers3 says: Jun 7, 2011 10:14 PM

brewdogg says:
    Jun 7, 2011 4:08 PM
    504in860 says:
    Jun 7, 2011 11:28 AM
    ——————————————-

———-

Nope. Not without a world title. Just like when you Viking idiots said Rodgers couldn’t produce a 4th qtr comeback or win a playoff game….Allen’s playoff stats mean nothing son without a world title.

46. brewdogg says: Jun 8, 2011 12:11 AM

supersuckers3 says:
    Jun 7, 2011 10:14 PM

———————————————

I admit, i was one of those who said that Rodgers was a stats QB this time last year. He has proven me wrong.

As for the rest of it….. Your buddy wanted to know when Allen showed up in big games. I pointed out that he has. I was under the impression we were discussing the merits of the individual at the time. Was I wrong? Not having a Super Bowl ring completely invalidates a player’s individual contributions?

Now does that apply to all players or just Vikings? Does your contention apply to Earl Campell, Dick Butkus, and Deacon Jones? What about Steve Largent, Barry Sanders, Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, and Charlie Joiner? Did I go back too far for you? Well, how about Willie Roaf, Champ Bailey, Kevin Mawae, Tony Gonzalez, and Ladanian Tomlinson? Bruce Matthews and Dan Marino?

Let’s narrow the focus…. Was Derrick Thomas any less of a pass-rushing force for never having played in the Super Bowl? I dare you to tell Dave Krieg that.

But fine, we’ll go with your view of things. James Starks is a better RB than Eric Dickerson. Jordy Nelson is a better WR than Steve Smith. Frank Zombo is better than Demarcus Ware, Andrew Quarless is better than Antonio Gates, and AJ Hawk is better than Patrick Willis. Good, logical rationale ya got there, buddy.

47. supersuckers3 says: Jun 8, 2011 11:48 AM

“Not having a Super Bowl ring completely invalidates a player’s individual contributions?”

————-

No but you (along with some other Viking fan idiots) saying Rodgers couldnt win playoff games and saying he is a stat QB is pretty much saying the same thing. I wonder what that Majik idiot is thinking these days. I am willing to bet he has converted back to being a Packer Fan and commenting under a new screen name. No one was proven more wrong and proven to have less NFL knowledge then that clown and Beer Cheese Soup.

48. brewdogg says: Jun 8, 2011 2:25 PM

So your faith in Rodgers has been validated, to the chagrin of those who doubted him, and you feel this gives you license to spout the very thing that you were upset to hear about Rodgers? Ummmm…… I often tell my son that he needs to learn the difference between self-defense and retaliation. I think that point can apply here too….

But that’s not really the issue here either, now is it. You and many other Packer trolls here are incapable of giving any Vikings player the credit they deserve. We wouldn’t be having this discussion if he still played for the Chiefs, now would we? It’s one thing to question the worth of marginal players, but when you start calling guys with multiple Pro Bowls overrated and worthless, you can expect the same response as if I went on a Packers thread and said I’ll take Jamarca Sanford over Nick Collins.

But if that’s what you’re here for, by all means, go ahead. Just don’t complain when it’s turned back on you.

49. supersuckers3 says: Jun 8, 2011 10:34 PM

“You and many other Packer trolls here are incapable of giving any Vikings player the credit they deserve. ”

The 1998 Minnesota Vikings were the best team I have seen in my lifetime. How’s that for props? Or does it hurt too much? I’m not a fan of the Vikings and I feel for you choke artist lovin’ clowns for that one..

50. brewdogg says: Jun 8, 2011 11:41 PM

Yeah, that one is painful…..

Now try giving current Vikings some credit.

51. supersuckers3 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:07 AM

“Now try giving current Vikings some credit”

For what? They do not draft and develop. How many journeyman rejects have been at the helm of their offense? This “organization” needs stability, discipline, and consistent methods of development. They lack patience. Sometimes a couple of years worth of 8 wins and development of young men equates to 8 years of title contention. Minnesota has never embraced the long term. They go all in with free agency (which NEVER works in the NFL) and set themselves back YEARS

52. brewdogg says: Jun 9, 2011 12:12 PM

Really….. The Vikings had drafted and developed 14 of last year’s starters. The others? Pro Bowlers at CB, G, DE, and DT. And set back years? I love this particular prediction…. I bet people were saying the same thing about the Ravens when they drafted Flacco. This team is returning at least 7 Pro Bowl talents, and have more than enough talent to be competitive again.

Oh, and BTW…. FA never works? Tell me again who Packer fans credit for that SB win 15 years ago…. Charles Woodson was not drafted as a Packer, remember? Where would you be without him? Whoops…..

53. supersuckers3 says: Jun 9, 2011 12:56 PM

Using FA as a method of building your core is what doesnt work. Like anything else in life there are individual exceptions and Woodson is one of the RARE exceptions. I am right 90 percent of the time. I correctly predicted the Packler Championship and corectly predicted the Viking demise. I know my NFL. Trust me. Minnesota needs to rebuild. It’s not out of dislike that I say this. It’s lookinh at that team objectively. These probowlers you mention are so old in some cases they may not even make thatrebuilding team. This last place veteran filled team has no QB. None. Peterson is the teams best player and for a RB is becoming a bit aged. Their pass defense is horribly rotten and getting older. the Williams fellows are a non issue anymore and you have no WR’s you can count on. Harvin is good but the poor kid’s headaches arent going to go away. Being truthful here. Blow what has been blown up already and start new. If they hired the right people they can be a winning team in three years IF they build the right way and build to be good for TEN years. Not ONE.

54. brewdogg says: Jun 10, 2011 12:26 AM

In this regard, I’m actually in agreement. At this point, the best thing for the long-term success of the Vikings would be to start over, and I have to believe it is at least being discussed. Selecting Ponder may be an indication that it is the leaning of the team as well. There is still some trade value for Kevin Williams, Hutch, Allen, and likely huge value with the right team for Peterson. They may even be able to get something for the likes of Winfield, McKinnie, and EJ Henderson. The picks they receive from trading these players could quickly develop a fresh core, and if they don’t choose that route, than it is unlikely they will be anything more than a borderline playoff team for the next few years, and all of them will be gone by the time they are back to true contenders.

But that is now. 3 or 4 years ago was a different story. Losing Culpepper was a major blow, and the lack of return from the Moss trade only compounded it. But they had had several solid drafts and didn’t appear that far away. Heck, at the time, even the likes of Erasmus James, Kenechi Udeze, and Dontarious Thomas looked like they had good futures ahead of them. Winfield and Williams were already on board. So what did they do that was so wrong? Berrian and Madieu Williams were obvious busts, but Allen and Hutch were Pro Bowlers in their prime. They felt they were a few pieces away, especially after Peterson fell in their laps. I liken it to the Walker trade. (hardly glowing, I know…..) At the time, with one of the best defenses in the league, Pro Bowlers on the line, and Anthony Carter and Steve Jordan catching passes, they thought they were a good RB away from perennial Super Bowl contention. If they had won a couple, then that trade doesn’t look so bad. Just like if they had managed to win in ’09, then the “all-in” approach may have been deemed worth it.

Anyway, the point is that the approach should be determined by the situation. Not every team that tears it all down and starts from scratch is successful. That just doesn’t get near as much attention as the ones who sign several high-profile FAs.

Here’s my take…. The 2011 Vikings are like the 2005 Packers. A few years ago, it was more like the ’95 Packers. That team signed Reggie White, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, Don Beebe, Desmond Howard, Keith jackson, Eugene Robinson, and more, and were rewarded with a SB title and another appearance. Was that wrong? Was that the improper way to go about it? I’ll bet there were very few Packer fans ranting about the evils of FA back then…..

55. supersuckers3 says: Jun 10, 2011 5:27 PM

” Heck, at the time, even the likes of Erasmus James, Kenechi Udeze, and Dontarious Thomas looked like they had good futures ahead of them. Winfield and Williams were already on board. So what did they do that was so wrong?”
    ——

Hired the wrong people in personnel and hired the wrong coaching staff to develop players.