Vick to release autobiography this summer

Michael Vick, C.J. Wilson AP

If twenty three years old sounds a little young for autobiography, perhaps thirty years old makes a little more sense.  Especially for someone who has lived and fallen as much Michael Vick.

Vick will release his autobiograhy Michael Vick: Finally Free on July 27, with a foreward from Tony Dungy.  Vick’s eagerness to capitalize financially on his remarkable play last year is not a surprise and it’s understandable considering the money he still owes to creditors.

That doesn’t mean the book will be worth reading, although USA Today excerpted an interesting section where Vick admitted a bad habit for lying, even to his defense attorney.

“My propensity for trying to lie my way out of trouble only made my consequences more severe,” Vick wrote.

Vick’s next challenge: Out-sell Tim Tebow.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Vick to release autobiography this summer”
  1. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 6, 2011 1:00 PM

I’ll feed it to my dog.

2. bingocostello says: Jun 6, 2011 1:04 PM

I did not pay for college!
    I was a star!
    I killed da dogs!
    I went to prison!
    I Paid my duze!
    Now I am star again! Haha!

3. geniusesq says: Jun 6, 2011 1:09 PM

Someone will still find a way to hate on this while simultaneously claiming he isn’t showing enough contrition.

4. hunternuts says: Jun 6, 2011 1:09 PM

I hope he sells zero books. Here’s a much better read: “The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick’s Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption.”

5. beastofeden says: Jun 6, 2011 1:10 PM

Will there be a forward by the English language master himself, Chris Johnson?

I wish Vick would write it himself without the editing and help of about 20 others. Show us what literary skills a Va.Tech education holds.

6. terpface says: Jun 6, 2011 1:11 PM

because ESPN hasnt covered him closely enough over the last 2 years…

7. bubbabart says: Jun 6, 2011 1:11 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ….no one cares.

8. krow101 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:11 PM

Working title… “Dogs … Don’t You Hate Them?”

9. chapnastier says: Jun 6, 2011 1:12 PM

Dear God.

10. brintfatre says: Jun 6, 2011 1:15 PM

I’ll save y’all $30… it’s all other people’s fault.

11. JackLeone says: Jun 6, 2011 1:15 PM

***insert “Vick is a horrible person” comments here******

12. jeffro33 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:16 PM

I am going to avoid the usual comments that come in today’s society when you see things like this, especially when it involves Michael Vick. I hated him in ATL and was sickened by the facts in the dogfighting ring, and usually am turned off when an athlete in debt uses his fame to write a book or sign autographs so he can make this month’s payments to creditors. (see: Pete Rose)

But after seeing Mike Vick out around town a handful of times, usually at Dave & Busters on Columbus Ave, I can say that there is a humbleness and a sense of reality that I get with him now that was never there before…

There is genuine remorse in him. He actually cares now, for real. His comment above about lying could not be more true, and his detailing how it affected his whole situation shows that he at least gets it.

This is what second chances are all about, coming from someone who was stunned and hated that the Eagles signed him in the first place.

13. skippynj says: Jun 6, 2011 1:21 PM

I wonder if Dungy writes with a lisp also.

14. str82dvd says: Jun 6, 2011 1:22 PM

I could not dislike this fraud any more than I do now. It is only through very careful handling that this guy appears even close to contrite. He is sorry he got caught; that is the full statement of the case.

15. joetoronto says: Jun 6, 2011 1:24 PM

Big seller in the hood, not so much outside though.

16. trojanmaaaan says: Jun 6, 2011 1:24 PM

How much for the limited edition Lassie bound version?

17. rc33 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:43 PM

I’ll bet the Editor was busy..

“slamming dogs to the pavement until they’re dead is fun…..er, the wrong thing to do.”
    The only remorse Vick has is that he was caught.

18. Dawggpound says: Jun 6, 2011 1:45 PM

I ll keep a copy on top of my toliet tank just in case I run out of Charmin.

19. cleanslaton says: Jun 6, 2011 1:45 PM

Anyone that would actually buy his book will have to wait for it to come out on audiobook, because reading is like, hard and stuff.

I’m waiting for the critic that calls it ‘doggone good!’

20. blitzinc43 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:47 PM

vick puts touchdowns on my scoreboard. I dont care about anyting but that.

21. lucky5934 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:50 PM

I do love the idea of an unaided biography. Would love to be the fly on the wall of his publisher’s office.

22. lucky5934 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:55 PM

Yeah, I don’t care what someone who has seen Vick around town a couple of times thinks. No way that dude is 100% remorseful. and sorry dude…. but I doubt you can peer into the soul of a man and determine is he truly remorseful by seeing him around town.

23. lacharger2112 says: Jun 6, 2011 2:04 PM

I still can’t believe that he is in the NFL again. Let’s put the dog fighting aside for a moment as that seems to piss everyone off. Supporters and haters alike.
    Here is a player who bankrolled an entire gambling ring! This put the integrity of the entire NFL at risk! I understand there are other players who may run over someone, stab someone etc. That is only putting that individual at risk and a black mark on his team and an even smaller one on the league. Vick put the entire NFL at risk and it’s integrity by supporting a gambling ring! Then the Commish ignore that fact and says well he paid a portion of his dues in prison (he wasn’t charged for everything he should have been charged with) so we will keep him on a short leash if he screws up again. I’m not saying gambling is worse than killing dogs for entertainment. I’m saying he risked his livelihood by the dog fighting but, put the entire NFL at risk for the gambling that everyone seems to ignore.

24. hobartbaker says: Jun 6, 2011 2:10 PM

Having been served with the life stories of “The Good”, Tim Tebow, and “The Bad”, Mike Vick, we must be due for an autobiography from Ben Roethlisberger or Phillip Rivers soon.

25. help me says: Jun 6, 2011 2:13 PM

***insert “Vick is a horrible person” comments here******

——————————————-

Ok, Vick is a horrible person.

26. nfl25 says: Jun 6, 2011 2:14 PM

He spends a lot of time helping others out. Whether he is doing it cuz he feels he got to or he is doing it cuz he cares, the bottom line is he is doing it. You cant crucify him for life for what he did. I think anyone who hurts animals is a scumbag, and that’s what he WAS. But that was in the past.

I don’t care when people make jokes about it, its the sick hate that some people have for him that i think is overboard. If ur father or son did something like that, would you want him crucified for life?

27. geniusesq says: Jun 6, 2011 2:23 PM

Funny thing is most of the “men” who criticize here have also had a “propensity for trying to lie [their] way out of trouble.” **usually to their wives, bosses, friends and in-laws**

But most of them aren’t man enough to admit it.

28. pacificamjr says: Jun 6, 2011 2:28 PM

it will be great reading during the dog days of summer…

29. b7p19 says: Jun 6, 2011 2:36 PM

I’m going to buy it. Finding out more details about the path his life was on will make me appreciate how far he’s come even more.

30. dansnydersux says: Jun 6, 2011 2:36 PM

cleanslaton says:
    Jun 6, 2011 1:45 PM

I’m waiting for the critic that calls it ‘doggone good!’

You’re a sick pup!

Thank you, I’ll be here all week!

31. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 6, 2011 2:38 PM

He will outsell Tebow. People can say what they want, but controversy sells and so does Michael Vick.

That being said, I wont be buying a copy, but I’ll surely pirate one for my android e reader.

32. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 6, 2011 2:48 PM

cue PETA rally.

33. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 6, 2011 2:50 PM

Sounds like a bad Jesse Jackson spoof.

Wth uses “propensity”?

34. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 6, 2011 2:54 PM

“If twenty three years old sounds a little young for autobiography, perhaps thirty years old makes a little more sense.”

Bieber wrote a autobiography at 16.

35. CKL says: Jun 6, 2011 2:56 PM

Anyone think Vick actually said the word “propensity” when telling his tale to the ghostwriter? LOL

At least Rex Ryan’s book is in his language & his manner of speaking for the most part.

If they are trying to be accurate they should try to stay true to his manner of speaking or the whole thing comes off as BS IMO.

36. skimbell says: Jun 6, 2011 3:05 PM

Well, in the immortal words of Moses Hadas…
    “Thank you for sending me a copy of your book. I’ll waste no time reading it.”

37. nfl25 says: Jun 6, 2011 3:11 PM

CKL,

he actually does use those big words. not sure if he is smart or what but he comes across as very educated when he speaks.

38. hobartbaker says: Jun 6, 2011 3:18 PM

Yeah, Beiber already has an autobiography out. Now he is working on Part II, The Puberty Years.

39. turgidsen says: Jun 6, 2011 3:22 PM

lucky5934 says:
    Jun 6, 2011 1:55 PM

—————————————————————————————————

He’s 100% remorseful. He’s thinking “Damn it was wrong for me to get caught. I won’t let that happen again”

40. rcali says: Jun 6, 2011 3:24 PM

When’s Donte Stallworthless’s book coming out?

41. lostsok says: Jun 6, 2011 3:26 PM

I do not believe Vick only cares that he got caught. That MIGHT have been true at first, but anyone with the slightest BS detector can tell his revelations were genuine.

I, personally, will still never be able to completely forgive him. I am a freak about dogs and cats; my wife and I have done rescue kitten litters and donate money and time when we can to shelters. We have three dogs which are spoiled to death (we literally spend more on their no-grain, high-quality all-organic food than our own). The thought of the pain and suffering as a result of his kennel is just…too much.

But…I do believe his repentance is genuine. I do believe he is a better person. I would prefer to see more of an effort to assist with the problems that still exist, although I also sense the reason he doesn’t is because so many people on the extreme (PETA, most notably) prefer to use him as a villain and have no real interest in his rehabilitation (all extremist, right and left, are like that…as we’ve painfully learned from the jaw-droppingly solipsistic morons who tend to speak for the Teabaggers, based on the illiterate nonsense they barf up).

In short: I wish Mike Vick the best of luck. I hope he continues to improve as a person, and that he does what he can to make the world a better place. That said, I still will not root for him on the field, nor would I consider buying his book.

42. tbpdog says: Jun 6, 2011 3:26 PM

jeffro33 says: Jun 6, 2011 1:16 PM

really means……

After seing Mike Vick score TD’s for the Eagles, I’m inclined to believe he is sorry, if he played for any other team I’d be killing him on here.

43. eagiants says: Jun 6, 2011 3:43 PM

I don’t care…

Man this lockout needs to end b/c I’m posting to a Michael Vick autobiography post. New low moment in the lockout for this guy.

44. mhs8031 says: Jun 6, 2011 3:49 PM

I am going out on a limb here, but can you say, “ghost writer?”

45. schemefactory says: Jun 6, 2011 4:00 PM

i’d rather read a third-person account of what somebody i’ve never heard of ate for lunch yesterday. so, what’d your friend, cousin, non-dog-torturing co-worker have?

46. bluefan204 says: Jun 6, 2011 4:12 PM

nfl25 says: Jun 6, 2011 2:14 PM

Yes. When you make such a horrible, stupid decision like that, and you lie about it, you deserve every single ounce of hate and grief that people throw at you, regardless of how much prison time you did for your crimes. Father, son, wife, daughter….doesn’t matter. I’d still love them, but I wouldn’t defend their actions. Those dogs are still dead.

47. coachknights says: Jun 6, 2011 4:19 PM

Woof

48. nfl25 says: Jun 6, 2011 4:35 PM

bluefan204

ur right but i am not defending his actions. im just saying at some point people should just let it go. not let go what he did but let go the hateful bashing. dude my dogs are my kids, i would give my life for them. im just sayin at some point i hope people stop bashing him in such a hateful way

49. melonnhead says: Jun 6, 2011 4:38 PM

Propensity? Who’s the ghost-writer? Bet Vick buys the first 1,000 copies. And he probably voted for himself in that top 100 poll, too.

50. rukiddnme29 says: Jun 6, 2011 4:53 PM

nfl25

He admitted in a live interview that the only regret he had was the length of his prison term.

I think people will quit hating on him when the media quits the Vick overkill. That will never happen so neither will the hate. There is too much money in a public villian.

51. n0hopeleft says: Jun 6, 2011 5:13 PM

I dont understand why people across the country can’t put themselves in Vick’s shoes? I mean, he had no choice but to fight those dogs.. It’s in his heritage… I mean, for God’s sake, his STREET CRED was on da line?

Right Philly?

52. msclemons67 says: Jun 6, 2011 5:22 PM

See Spot run.
    Run Spot run!
    See Mike chase Spot.
    No Mike no!

53. mhs8031 says: Jun 6, 2011 5:36 PM

Who is the moron who gave my “ghost writer” comment a thumbs down? Do you really think Vick wrote the book himself? Really? Have you ever read one?

54. mrjumpman23 says: Jun 6, 2011 7:33 PM

lacharger2112 says:
    Jun 6, 2011 2:04 PM

*******************************************
    So what about, the dogs. The majority of people complaining about his crime would not adopt those dogs into their home…… Michael Vick paid his debt to society, leave the man alone… All of these comments on this site is racist…. If you think I’m playing the race card, think about this…. What if Michael Vick was white, or Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady… Would you idiots write all of the bull crap that you write???? I don’t care what Mike Vick does in his spare time, it did not affect me or my family….. A dog is re-placable, get over it people…….

55. MV7 says: Jun 6, 2011 7:48 PM

You all seriously need to get over this whole dog thing. It is no different than eating hamburger or making glue out of old horses. The man wants to tell his side of the story. Get off his back. I am sure all the PETA crackpots will be out protesting him. Personally, I ll be line hoping for an autographed copy! Wasn’t Ghost Writer the dude with the burning skull that they made a movie about a few years ago ?

56. bluefan204 says: Jun 6, 2011 9:05 PM

mrjumpman23 says: Jun 6, 2011 7:33 PM

So you felt the need to point out that you feel all the comments here are racist, and Michael Vick would be loved if he was white, buuuut…..you’re not playing the race card…?

No one….NO ONE, cares what color he is. He is being judged by his pathetic, inhuman actions. I’d hate ANYONE who did the same things that he did, especially if they lied about it and didn’t show any true remorse(Sorry, Vick groupies…hes not really sorry for what he did. He’s sorry for getting caught)

57. tigrrrr says: Jun 6, 2011 9:09 PM

I hope he fills his book with pictures of the animals he tortured. Let EVERYONE see what this creep did.