Brandon Lloyd’s lockout life: A rapper and aerospace metals salesman

Bud Light Hotel Hosts The Playboy Party With Performances By Snoop Dogg, Warren G And Flo Rida Getty Images

Broncos receiver Brandon Lloyd didn’t need a lockout to delve deeply into his interests outside of football.

“BLoyd” was already a rapper (and model) dating back to his days with San Francisco.  He even had a song hit the Billboard Top 100 R&B singles, and his music featured in the background of a Spike TV show.   (Hey, it’s better than Chris Johnson.)

Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post caught up with Lloyd recently to see what he’s been working on this offseason.  More rap songs are no surprise.

“I’m an organic rap dude,” Lloyd said. “And my experiences are why my content is the way it is, but I just love local, independent artists, because I consider myself a struggling musician, just grinding away and trying to figure out your path.”

Lloyd has undertaken another offseason gig: He’s working in sales for Re-Steel Supply Company in Colorado. He’s on the road a lot in steel mills and technology plants.  He enrolled in a course at the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida to further his development.

“It has been really rewarding, because football is like fantasy land. It’s not like really working,” Lloyd said. “So, to go to steel mills in Pennsylvania and Gary, Indiana, and see that people are making containers for nuclear fuel for aircraft carriers, it puts in perspective how important I am, Brandon Lloyd the football player, in the real world.”

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Brandon Lloyd’s lockout life: A rapper and aerospace metals salesman”
  1. crackerjackjoe says: Jun 8, 2011 2:14 PM

Wow. Sounds like Lloyd is finally growing up. Good for him.

2. mightymightylafootball says: Jun 8, 2011 2:14 PM

That strange feeling I just had in my gut is the ounce of respect I just gained for Mr. Video Game after his debacle of a tenure w/ the ‘Skins.

Either that, or the spicy double burrito I had for lunch. Meh, either way…

3. zoxitic says: Jun 8, 2011 2:14 PM

I saw a special on TV about Brandon Lloyd. I think it was on the Big Ten Network. I forgot the name of the show. But it seemed liked Brandon is a really good guy. Denver is lucky to have him on their team.

4. tigerphins says: Jun 8, 2011 2:16 PM

Maybe Lloyd can teach Denver how to rap their arms around a successful season.

5. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 8, 2011 2:18 PM

I like that guy just on the last statement alone: “it puts in perspective how important I am, Brandon Lloyd the football player, in the real world”. Too bad more “stars” don’t feel the same way.

6. killxswitch says: Jun 8, 2011 2:19 PM

Weird. But I like Brandon Lloyd a little more now. Nice to see a humble guy (and a WR, no less) talk about how ultimately unimportant he is, and how lucky he is to play football for a living.

7. hanktheking says: Jun 8, 2011 2:20 PM

Brandon Lloyd is a class act who does it the right way and has been rewarded with success for the Broncos. Good for him.

8. capslockkey says: Jun 8, 2011 2:22 PM

OK, even though I hate the Broncos, I’ve just become a Brandon Lloyd fan. At least this guy gets it.

9. pftrumors says: Jun 8, 2011 2:25 PM

Interesting occupation.

10. pestilence1972 says: Jun 8, 2011 2:38 PM

I heard an interview with him last year at the height of his magical season. He was maybe the most well spoken NFL player I have heard in a long time. He could sit next to Steve Young and Peyton Manning and not look dumb in the least. I am a fan.

11. myballsmyrules says: Jun 8, 2011 2:40 PM

Am I missing something?????

You people are admiring someone that said basically “after seeing people work in factories it makes me appreciate how important I am”

Really?
    So Lloyd thinks he is more important than any of those workers?
    He thinks he is more imporetant that any of you?

And you people think he “is growing up”?

This is exactly why football players feel entitled to whatever, and think they are above rules and laws.

12. myballsmyrules says: Jun 8, 2011 2:43 PM

“it puts in perspective how important I am, Brandon Lloyd the football player, in the real world.”

***************************

So football players live in the real world, but those factory workers don’t?

And because he is a football player, he deems himself as “important”

This is why I can not only stand the attitudes of pro athletes, but I can’t stand those that “admire” and “worship” these people. Those that do that degrade themselves, cause LLoyd just degraded all those factory workers

13. dbellina says: Jun 8, 2011 2:45 PM

OK let me get this straight. He was the number one WR last year, he has a rap song that’s actually successful, and now he’s going back to school to become an aerospace metal salesman? Oh, and he realizes that what he does in the NFL isn’t actually “real” work.

This article just made me depressed about what I have accomplished in my life!

14. hanktheking says: Jun 8, 2011 3:11 PM

I think some of you may not understand what he is saying. He’s admitting that as a football player he is actually irrellevant in the big scheme of things and has been more humbled by ppl who actually work hard for a living.

I also want to shout out Brandon for being the best in the league at catching the ball. The dude is a freak when it comes to twisting his body. It’s nice to see a humble WR named “Brandon” who actually catches the ball instead of one who is a Egomaniacal clown and leads the league in drops.

15. SpartaChris says: Jun 8, 2011 3:11 PM

myballsmyrules says:
    Jun 8, 2011 2:43 PM

***************************

So football players live in the real world, but those factory workers don’t?

And because he is a football player, he deems himself as “important”

===============================
    You’re taking it completely out of context. If you RTFA, you’ll see his previous quote, “It has been really rewarding, because football is like fantasy land. It’s not like really working.” Then he goes on to say, “It puts in perspective how important I am, Brandon Lloyd the football player, in the real world,” meaning being a football player is nowhere near as meaningful as doing what his colleagues do.

16. sdboltaction says: Jun 8, 2011 3:19 PM

@myballsinmymouth

You’re taking that quote out of context.

17. hobartbaker says: Jun 8, 2011 3:28 PM

LOL, Lloyd.

Working on his rap tunes and in his spare time lending support to the Al Gore campaign in his effort to defeat George Bush.

18. myballsmyrules says: Jun 8, 2011 3:30 PM

My Bad!

19. pkrlvr says: Jun 8, 2011 3:30 PM

Apparently Mr. Lloyd is more intelligent than some of the posters here…..

20. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 8, 2011 3:30 PM

I heard he also did some acting on a film called, “The Removed.”

21. stealthjunk says: Jun 8, 2011 3:47 PM

@myballsmyrules: Reading comprehension fail. Maybe you’re the one that needs to go back to school, not Lloyd.

22. biggerballz says: Jun 8, 2011 3:49 PM

this guy would be successful in life no matter what, he has what jamarcus russell never had, the drive.

23. azwildcats96 says: Jun 8, 2011 4:54 PM

Thank God for B. Lloyd the exact OPPOSITE of B. Marshall. I guess McDaniels got ONE thing right in his time with Denver.

24. hobartbaker says: Jun 8, 2011 4:59 PM

Someone need to tell Brandon they are pretty much shutting down the aerospace industry and rap music been living in an extended care facility for the past five years, waiting to die.

25. rraider says: Jun 8, 2011 5:07 PM

I am glad to see that B. Lloyd
    has matured and is doing well but cant give him a complete pass on his immaturity after leaving the niners and going to Washington.

26. acanniv says: Jun 8, 2011 5:13 PM

@pestilence

Totally agree. Last season, he did a weekly spot on one of the local radio shows and he was very, very good. Well spoken, not afraid to comment/speak his mind on touch subjects (labor situation, josh mcdaniels, etc). Made me think he definitely has a future in broadcasting.

27. bearsrulepackdrool says: Jun 8, 2011 5:31 PM

@hobartbaker

Not sure what ur smoking but rap music has been getting bigger and bigger over the years.

Went from underground to just about any and every event, commercial, movie, radio station and tv show out there nowadays.

Just cuz you want it to die doesn’t mean its going to. In fact its going more and more mainstream and hip-hop in its rawest form is dying.

28. bigshadetree says: Jun 8, 2011 5:43 PM

Isn’t everyone a rapper? Hell I’m a rapper then, If u wanna impress me, tell me ur a professional beatboxer, now that’s a lost art…

29. tundey says: Jun 8, 2011 6:26 PM

Ok, when did the brain transplant take place? He sure wasn’t this aware when he was with the Redskins.

30. willycents says: Jun 8, 2011 7:29 PM

tundey says:

Most of us get a “brain transplant”” sometime in our twenties, just ask our parents. And, if we are parents, ask us about our kids.

31. hobartbaker says: Jun 8, 2011 7:31 PM

Rap just lucky Dr. Kevorkian isn’t around anymore. He would be stalking it with a long needle in his hand.

32. granadafan says: Jun 8, 2011 7:47 PM

Sometimes it takes an extraordinary situation for people to grow up and show their maturity. Guys like Brandon Lloyd have realized that football can be taken away just like that and they’d be left in a lurch. He was quite brash without accomplishing anything while in SF, but now he seems to get it. Others like TO have never matured and continue make fools of themselves.

33. titsburgfeelers says: Jun 8, 2011 9:13 PM

Its not that Brandon thinks he’s better than those blue collar workers its that your an IDIOT to think so. Or is that the Broncos actually have players that are intelligent and can play ball. Wich one are yoU really mad at? Poor baby its just not fair!!

34. bigbeefyd says: Jun 19, 2011 10:48 AM

@myballsmyrules…as has been mentioned, you read it completely wrong. He was trying to make the point (which everyone else understood) that he, as a football player, is NOT important when compared to things that are happening in the real world. But, it’s obvious from your posts that you exist just to find something negative to say in almost every situation. So when something positive shows up here, your angry little pea brain makes it into something negative. How sad.

35. jacksprat57 says: Jun 27, 2013 1:08 AM

Well, I always figured that B. Lloyd was either just another malcontent or a head case. Guess not. Instead, he’s someone with whom most football coaches don’t either desire or quite know how to deal, a player whose identity isn’t totally wrapped up in the game. Not that I can blame them, really, given how easily Myron Rolle gave up ‘the dream’.