Jordan Palmer calls brother “former teammate”

Jordan Palmer AP

In one respect, Jordan Palmer didn’t want to speak too much about his brother after today’s Bengals players-only practice.  That’s understandable, considering Carson’s awkward stand-off with the team.

On the other hand, Palmer could be seen as advancing the Palmer family company line.  (Also understandable.)

“I’m separating myself from what Carson is doing. He’s my brother but he’s a former teammate going a different route and I’m focusing in what is front of me,” Jordan Palmer said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The reality is that Carson Palmer is more of a Bengal at present than Jordan, who is not under contract.  (He was tendered a contract as a restricted free agent, but may be a UFA unless we return to 2010 rules.)  Carson Palmer will still be a Bengal until he’s traded, officially retires, or decides to return to Cincinnati.

Jordan Palmer has done a laudable job trying to lead and learn Cincy’s new offense this offseason, but it’s uncertain if the Bengals will try to retain him when the lockout ends.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Jordan Palmer calls brother “former teammate””
  1. toad8572 says: Jun 8, 2011 6:10 PM

A friend here in SoCal (to whom Carson would reasonably cross paths and speak) told him he’s Done! in Cincy…No Mas!

2. denverhighrize says: Jun 8, 2011 6:18 PM

These are very exciting times to be a Bengals fan!

3. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 8, 2011 6:20 PM

“If we had to guess, Carson would be our pick as the more likely Palmer to still be part of the Bengals organization come October.”

I wish I could take the other side of that bet!

4. bucks12965 says: Jun 8, 2011 6:20 PM

So I guess that makes Jordan a former NFL qb.

5. duanethomas says: Jun 8, 2011 6:25 PM

When Carson comes back that pushes Jordan off the roster, so he’s correct.

6. ryansaidit says: Jun 8, 2011 6:27 PM

I can hardly blame Carson, and I’m a cincy fan. For them to retain Marvin Lewis is quite discouraging.

7. mikebrowndie says: Jun 8, 2011 6:29 PM

Why is Jordan Palmer still on the team? He was only brought in to satisfy Carson…I would rather have Mike Vick’s brother back out of retirement on this team than this schmuck

8. cincinnasti says: Jun 8, 2011 6:38 PM

Carson Palmer is a quitter.. We should retain his brother, put in 3rd graders for our offensive line, so Carson can watch his brother run for his life on his 152 inch plasma t.v. inside his comfy Southern California mansion, away from that cold weather he endured in Cincinnati for all those year.. Poor Carson..

9. TurdSandwich says: Jun 8, 2011 6:47 PM

Carson who? The Bengals QB is Andy Dalton.

10. samoanjungle says: Jun 8, 2011 6:58 PM

Either they will both be in Cincy or neither

11. sterilizecromartie says: Jun 8, 2011 7:00 PM

I’m confused by the last sentence of this column. We have one brother demanding to be traded. And the other brother leading the organized team activitied. What about that scenario makes you think the former would be the more likely one to be on the team?

Even if it as a backup, Jordan will be back in Cincy. Carson is gone.

12. roscott says: Jun 8, 2011 7:22 PM

The reason Jordan was on the team is because he outplayed JT O’Sullivan last preseason. Even if Carson comes back, Jordan probably will stay with the team.

Really, given Dalton is a rookie and not exactly coming from the SEC, he is in for a rude awakening in the NFC North, it wouldn’t surprise me if Jordan is invited back and there’s an open QB competition.

13. hobartbaker says: Jun 8, 2011 7:22 PM

Carson wants to give his bro some starting time. I’m sure that Jordan can beat out Raggedy Andy.

14. wizahdry says: Jun 8, 2011 7:54 PM

I hope Jordan realizes that no Carson means no him! Does he really think if he wasn’t the brother of the starting QB he would have gotten a job there.

15. louderthanwords1 says: Jun 8, 2011 8:36 PM

By saying former teammate isn’t it just as likely Jordan could have been referring to himself no longer being under contract thus making Carson a former teammate?

16. trbowman says: Jun 8, 2011 8:48 PM

Dan Lefevour must become a franchise quarterback. LEFEVOUR FEVER FOREVER

17. cosanostra71 says: Jun 8, 2011 8:55 PM

roscott says:
    Jun 8, 2011 7:22 PM
    Really, given Dalton is a rookie and not exactly coming from the SEC
    —————————————————-

Assuming Rex Grossman and Cam Newton both start, only 6 starting QBs this year will be from the SEC. Only 1 of the 7 Pro Bowl QBs last year was from the SEC. Peyton Manning is the only SEC QB to make an All-Pro team since 2000. Typical SEC pompousness.

18. thetooloftools says: Jun 8, 2011 9:08 PM

Carson Palmer will NEVER take another snap for The Bengals.
    It’s not personal.
    He just made up his mind and in a “test of wills”.. The Bengals will lose again. I would trade him and get something for him, but the owners want a p issing war.

19. johnstofa says: Jun 8, 2011 9:08 PM

I think it’s funny the guy that is only there because his brother starts at QB, now wants to take the lead in proclaiming his brother’s status, when it could so easily impact his own.

This is a guy that should just keep quiet and hope.

20. eaglesfan290 says: Jun 8, 2011 9:12 PM

roscott says:Jun 8, 2011 7:22 PM

FACT CHECK: Bengals are in the AFC DUDE

21. TurdSandwich says: Jun 8, 2011 9:24 PM

I don’t like Mike Brown but based on the info we have as fans he did not screw Carson around at any point in his career. He made Carson a millionaire, added players Carson lobbied for (Jordan, T.O.) etc. Palmer in turn just announces out of the blue “I’m taking my ball and leaving town”.. The word QUITTER is very appropriate here.
    You suck, Carson.

22. acerockefellar says: Jun 8, 2011 11:50 PM

Its time for a leader to lead this team. We dont want carson and carson doesnt want us. Hes a quitter.

23. sasquash20 says: Jun 9, 2011 12:55 AM

Carson should stop being a baby. Fact is he isn’t that good anyhow. I understand hes frustrated playing for a horrible owner. But dude is paying you a lot of money. Another couple of years and your grand kids grand kids are set for life. Don’t get me wrong I don’t hate Carson at all, but be a pro man. I do hate Mike Brown. He is so cheap. I feel bad for people of Cincy and Ohio in general. They have nothing sports wise. Ohio St. even just had to drop a great coach over some BS(I would let my kid play for the vest, hes loyal no doubt). The Reds can smack the ball all day but don’t have the pitching to compete with the better teams (playoffs pitching is everything SF and PHI have sick pitching). Cleveland had a shot and the home town hero left for Miami(showed he was a phony), the beloved Browns moved to Baltimore (and won a SB). I really feel bad for all the sports fans in Ohio. You will get yours one day and when you do it will feel awesome.

24. suckitangelo says: Jun 9, 2011 3:52 AM

You meant to say laughable*, as in “haha Jordan Palmer,” not laudable

25. laxer37 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:53 AM

It’s more important for Mike Brown to be right than be successful.

Swallow your pride and trade the guy for whatever you can get and begin the rebuilding process.

26. hineswardcriesafterfumbling says: Jun 9, 2011 8:57 AM

mikebrowndie says:
    Jun 8, 2011 6:29 PM
    ———————————–
    While I agree with your username, wanting Marcus Vick, a career convict, over Jordan Palmer, someone who is, you know, actually on an NFL roster (nepotism aside), is an asinine statement at best.

I also find the last statement confusing. As sterilizecromartie said, Carson is adamant that he won’t play for the Bengals again, while Jordan is leading workouts. Unless they add a QB in *free agency* it’ll be Dalton, J. Palmer and LeFevour.

27. flushdownmikebrown says: Jun 9, 2011 9:06 AM

1. I am pretty sure Carson’s grand kids are set either way
    2. I really hope Carson can go somewhere else to see if he can win there. The Bengals are so inept, it is hard to tell who is to blame in Cincinnati.
    3. Mike Brown is an evil man. I hope he enjoys driving 1+ Million fans insane every season.
    4. Cleveland has a shot at nothing. That city is so bad at everything. Pollution, crime, spots, blind optimism, etc. We should annex Cleveland from America.

28. greengoldcheese says: Jun 9, 2011 10:10 AM

Doesn’t J. Palmer mean that he, J. Palmer is no longer on the team when he says Carson is a “former teammate”?