Kiwanuka is back on the field

M. Kiwanuka Getty Images

We may not get any quotes from the Giants this week during their “minicamp” but we can get a bit of information.

Giants defender Mathias Kiwanuka, who is coming off a herniated disk in his neck, joined his teammates for the non-contact session.  At one point, there was some speculation Kiwauka’s career could be in jeopardy but he has been cleared by doctors to play again.

Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com notes “Kiwi” looked a little bigger than before, potentially having added muscle since the injury.

While he’s not without risk coming off such a serious injury, Kiwanuka will be one of the most intriguing defensive free agents available when the lockout ends because of his ability to play defensive end and stand up as a linebacker.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Kiwanuka is back on the field”
  1. myeaglescantwin says: Jun 8, 2011 8:36 AM

this guy is a beast. hope he can get back on the field and make an impact… hopefully not in NY though.

2. lucky5934 says: Jun 8, 2011 9:37 AM

If he is at the Giant’s off-season workout, chances are he wants to stay with the Giants. His agent wouldn’t allow him to workout at all with the team if that wasn’t the case. Now whether he stays with them or not once free agency finally get’s rolling remains to be seen. But I think with the openings the Giants have at linebacker and that the team will be strong once again… I think he is leaning towards being a NY Giant in 2011. Besides, his physical attributes, athleticism, and versatility are all going to command big money. But his injury history will keep teams from overspending.

3. coachknights says: Jun 8, 2011 9:40 AM

Kiwanuke’m all, let God sort’em out.

4. gcsuk says: Jun 8, 2011 9:50 AM

I’ve always liked Kiwi, and I hope he IS back in NY. Plays hard, plays quiet (doesn’t trash talk), and respects his opponents. Something to admire about that. I hope the Giants are smart and keep him

5. parasonic says: Jun 8, 2011 10:16 AM

I wonder what his play would be like if he actually got to play his natural DE spot for a whole season. He is showing to be fairly versatile but he gets lost in the shuffle due to the talent on the Def front of the Giants. He will probably end up staying but I’m sure he’s considering what it would be like to go somewhere that he could play DE in a 4-3 and start.

6. lucky5934 says: Jun 8, 2011 11:37 AM

Parasonic,

He would be great there. I mean think Super Bowl winning year and the defensive line they had. To rotate Tuck, Kiwi, Osi and JSP at End, and drop Tuck in at tackle and Kiwi at LB in nickle situations /or/ all four on the defensive line to rush the passer?! All I can say is I feel sorry for those QB’s…

7. hus10188 says: Jun 8, 2011 11:59 AM

Be very surprised to see if any team shells out big dollars for this guy with him coming off an injury as scary as his one.

Him showing up to the Giants camp is very encouraging also.

If Kiwi is back (with a 1 yr deal very likely), Detroit’s line have nothing on ours, we got DE’s for days.

8. parasonic says: Jun 8, 2011 1:28 PM

lucky5934,

Totally agree, but he isn’t that old, especially for a DE. He has low miles (though most are due to injuries and being put at LB for that one season). I’m sure he’d love to have a shot at “being the guy” which he’ll never get with Osi and Tuck. But I totally agree, he only improves that rotation of front 7 talent for the GMen. And though he wasn’t that great at LB, he does give them more flexibility in scheming if he can drop back and play LB every once in awhile.

9. lucky5934 says: Jun 8, 2011 7:25 PM

Yeah Kiwi doesn’t have great lateral quickness needed for OLB, but he does attack up field with the best of them. I agree he will never be the guy, but that is because he is versatile. I would love to see him bump Osi to back up. But the Giants need too much at LB for that to happen.