Vick talks Burress, endorsements in awkward interview

Michael Vick leaves the field after losing to the Green Bay Packers in their NFC Wild Card NFL playoff football game in Philadelphia Reuters

Eagles quarterback Michael Vick confirmed today that he’s hoping to play with Plaxico Burress, and he offered Burress some advice about adjusting to life after prison, from someone who’s been there: Focus on your family first, and football later.

Vick’s comments came in an interview with CNBC that was booked to promote Unequal Technologies, a manufacturer of football pads that has an endorsement deal with Vick. CNBC and Vick obviously knew going in that the interview would include some promotional comments on behalf of Unequal Technologies, but it became awkward when Rob Vito, the CEO of Unequal Technologies, kept interrupting to steer the discussion away from the questions being asked to Vick and toward Unequal Technologies.

Early in the interview, Vick talked football, saying he’d love to have Burress as a receiver.

“We all Eagles would love to have Plaxico as a teammate,” Vick said. “I think he would be a great fit. You know, I think he would be a great playmaker for us. It all remains to be seen. I think the thing for him right now is to get back, acclimated into society and with his family and then talk football later.”

Vick’s comments about Burress were interesting, but Vito clearly thought the focus needed to be on his company, and he pushed to talk about his company’s pads, saying that Unequal Technologies was “on the front page of every newspaper across the free world.” (Funny, I don’t recall seeing the Unequal Technologies front-page story in my newspaper.)

When Vick was asked about going from a pariah to having an endorsement deal, he spoke about the second chance he has received.

“I’m blessed to have the opportunities, I’m blessed that, you know, I was able to come back and be the best ambassador in the community I could be, work with the Humane Society, you know, and further my future and make changes,” Vick said. “That’s what I’m trying to do, be an instrument of change.”

With that, Unequal Technologies President Rob Vito jumped in to start talking about how his company’s padding is better than other kinds of padding because it uses “a three-layer composite” rather than “traditional foam.” Vick looked like he was trying not to laugh as Vito interrupted the interview to plug his company.

In any event, we learned two things from this interview: First, that Michael Vick wants to be both a teammate and a mentor to Plaxico Burress. And second, that Rob Vito will stop at nothing to get some free air time for Unequal Technologies.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Vick talks Burress, endorsements in awkward interview”
  1. kevsright says: Jun 8, 2011 3:22 PM

Vick said. “That’s what I’m trying to do, be an instrument of change.”
    ***************************************

GOOD!
    Start by changing teams! :twisted:

2. alewatcher says: Jun 8, 2011 3:38 PM

Unequal Technologies? Never heard of them.

3. gallogj says: Jun 8, 2011 3:39 PM

I wonder how many interviews it’ll take before Vick goes all “Chris Brown” on somebody for asking him about his past?

4. panther74 says: Jun 8, 2011 3:40 PM

This was by far one of the worst interviews ever! You could see it in that guys face he didn’t care about nothing else except that product…even Vick had to laugh.

5. tombrookshire says: Jun 8, 2011 3:45 PM

I guess when a guy’s mouth is watering with the idea of getting free pub for his product and the host wants to talk about stuff other than the product, which was the reason for the interview, it guess it did get pretty akward trying to get a word in edgewise. Why didn’t the guy just let the manufacturer plug his stuff? He is paying Vick to be his spokesperson, so Vick should have actually directed the conversation to the product. That’s how endorsement deals work.

6. gcsuk says: Jun 8, 2011 3:52 PM

As a Giants fan, I have to say that I do not want Plax to play for the Eagles. It may be petty, but I just don’t want to see a player that I rooted for, and who did so much for my team, go to “the enemy”. I have no problem with him playing for the Rams, Raiders, etc…, but not the Eagles, Redskins, or Cowboys.

For the Eagles fans, would you really be OK with DeSean Jackson playing for the Giants? I bet not.

7. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 8, 2011 4:16 PM

To be fair to this guy the interview WAS about his pads and their deal of he wouldn’t have been included in the interview. If it was all about Plax and Vic why would they invite the CEO on, you know, a business network. That’s what CNBC is. I don’t think it’s right to blame the guy for trying to talk about the topic they were supposed to talk about. It may have been awkward, but it was actually ON topic.

8. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Jun 8, 2011 4:23 PM

Dude you need to watch more CNBC if you think that was an awkward interview. I thought it was fine. How could anyone blame the CEO for talking about his company on a biz network. I thought he did was EVERY other CEO does that’s on. And I watch it EVERY day.

9. fab5freddiebirds says: Jun 8, 2011 4:24 PM

Hey GCSUK-

I would root against my own grandmother if she played for the Giants.

E-A-G-L-E-S –Eagles

10. sweded775 says: Jun 8, 2011 4:34 PM

@gcsuk. No I would not like to see that but I reel it might be karma for shown Andrews doing the eagles dirty and pulling a Benedict Arnold, shout out to your punter for kicking to desean and handing us back the game with the bow on top being Andrews walk of shame past the cameras booyah

11. b7p19 says: Jun 8, 2011 4:41 PM

Hey GCSUK –

Eli may not be YOUR grandmother, but he sure plays like SOMEONES grandmother…

12. repentantfury says: Jun 8, 2011 4:44 PM

13. gcsuk says: Jun 8, 2011 4:47 PM

fab5freddiebirds says: Jun 8, 2011 4:24 PM

Hey GCSUK-

I would root against my own grandmother if she played for the Giants.

E-A-G-L-E-S –Eagles
    ———————————————————————-
    Absolutely understood, and I can respect that. But please realize, if I knew she was YOUR grandmother, I wouldn’t root for her either (I mean, she’s related to an Eagles fan).

14. gcsuk says: Jun 8, 2011 4:56 PM

b7p19 says: Jun 8, 2011 4:41 PM

Hey GCSUK –

Eli may not be YOUR grandmother, but he sure plays like SOMEONES grandmother…
    ———————————————————————–
    Oh yeah? Watching him escape the pocket and throw that “lucky catch” to Tyree in SB 42 (about 500 times) sure doesn’t look like anybody’s grandmother that I know.

Is that living in the past? Sure it is. But don’t most of us fans (31 teams worth, to be exact) have to live in the past every off-season?

15. NoHomeTeam says: Jun 8, 2011 5:01 PM

repentantfury says: “Apparently MDS is contracted with this company as well since he listed them by name six times in this article. I smell something fishy here and it isn’t the orifice that typically smells fishy.

If your orifice smells fishy, r, there is something wrong. Seek help. Quickly.

16. kspl1 says: Jun 8, 2011 5:29 PM

@gallogj,
    I agree, I wish one article or interview would not mention this. It is so annoying and old. Vick should say look I’m done talking about it. Whoever hates him is gonna hate him no matter what. The ones who don’t hate him r sick of hearing about that crap by now

17. stinkfingers says: Jun 8, 2011 5:34 PM

gcsuk says:
    Jun 8, 2011 3:52 PM

======

Not DeSean… But you can have Freddie Mitchell if you want.

18. denverhighrize says: Jun 8, 2011 6:01 PM

He went to Virginia Tech, public speaking courses are not offered there.

19. kevsright says: Jun 8, 2011 7:43 PM

He went to Virginia Tech, public speaking courses are not offered there
    *************************

Bad Newz has been advised to limit his public statements to ” I want a lawyer…” :mrgreen:

20. nfl fan says: Jun 8, 2011 8:40 PM

Plax can show the Eagles organization what a SuperBowl Ring looks like. While not Jeffrey Lurie’s Gold Standard, it is the NFL’s.

21. realfootballfan says: Jun 8, 2011 8:46 PM

That’s the worst name ever for a company.

22. norcaleagles says: Jun 8, 2011 9:01 PM

GCSUK, If Desean Jackson was washed up like Plaxico, I wouldnt mind at all. I had no problem watching Shawn Andrews lose twice to the Eagles last season.

23. janvanflac says: Jun 8, 2011 9:44 PM

I’m one Eagles fan who was happy to see Shawn Andrews get another chance….however, for his own good, he probably shouldn’t play. the dude’s back (yes, his back, not his mind) is fcuk’d. I read that he has to take serious painkillers every time he steps on the field and by playing last year he was risking his future ability to walk.

That fact ought to give pause to all the haters who questioned his desire all these years.

24. old26er says: Jun 9, 2011 11:38 AM

I totally agree with the comments above about letting the CEO discuss his product on a business site. My father has a great stake in Unequal and this type of exposure is key for a business trying to go public. No need to mock it on a sports discussion. Mr. Vito was invited to speak about a product he invented, and a product Vick signed up to endorse, so it is appropriate for him to steer discussion. Keep sports talk to sports on these sites.

25. kevsright says: Jun 10, 2011 9:07 AM

Vick is a sociopathic bum.
    Any company which would hire him to represent them deserves to fail. :mrgreen:

Sadly, that includes my favorite football team.