We have another joint statement from the NFL and NFLPA*

Foxworth and Mawai depart with Smith after a day of negotiations with football team owners as they seek an agreement in Washington AP

It has been hard for the NFL and NFLPA* to agree on much of anything this offseason, so it’s nice to pass along the second joint statement from the two groups in as many weeks.

Even if it doesn’t tell us much.

“NFL owners and players have engaged in further confidential discussions before Chief Magistrate Judge Boylan this week.  Those discussions will continue,” the statement reads, as provided by NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

So the not-so-secret talks are even less secret now.  Aiello writes that the NFL attendees this week include Commissioner Roger Goodell, Jerry Richardson, Clark Hunt, Robert Kraft, John Mara, and Dean Spanos. The five owners are all members of the league’s labor committee.

Representing the players: DeMaurice Smith, Kevin Mawae, Jeff Saturday, Mike Vrabel, Tony Richardson and Dominque Foxworth.

Once again, no lawyers are present. (Unless you count Smith.)  NFL.com’s Albert Breer reports that talks are taking place in Long Island, not in New York City as first reported.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
44 Responses to “We have another joint statement from the NFL and NFLPA*”
  1. myballsmyrules says: Jun 8, 2011 3:08 PM

You heard it here first. But I can not divulge how I know.

There will be an agreement and we will have labor peace on or about July 1st (give or take a couple of days)

2. schemefactory says: Jun 8, 2011 3:09 PM

this just in: i’m commenting that PFT is reporting that the NFL and NFLPA issued a joint statement that they were making a statement….. i’m ripping my freaking hair out.

3. TheRealist says: Jun 8, 2011 3:10 PM

Hope?

4. grantgoodman93 says: Jun 8, 2011 3:10 PM

at the pace they get things done, it probably took a days worth of meetings to draw up this “joint statement.”

5. mizzouram says: Jun 8, 2011 3:13 PM

If these jagoffs want to be in the damn News so bad they should just work out a deal.

6. cletusvandam says: Jun 8, 2011 3:16 PM

please continue to negotiate!!
    On a side note I just got an email from nfl.com about signing up for fantasy football 2011 on their website.

7. mhs8031 says: Jun 8, 2011 3:17 PM

I would be impressed if the date was January 8 and not June 8.

8. geniusesq says: Jun 8, 2011 3:18 PM

Get ‘er done.

9. readimgram1 says: Jun 8, 2011 3:18 PM

They forgot to include Irsay and a bar napkin!!

How will they do it without those pieces!!?

10. cleonslamminsalmon says: Jun 8, 2011 3:19 PM

“Joint statement”-Smartest thing I’ve heard come from the lockout out so far.

11. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 8, 2011 3:20 PM

Where in Long Island? Maybe I’ll go and press my ear to the door. I just want this greed to end so free agency and training camps can start!

12. 2011to2020lions says: Jun 8, 2011 3:22 PM

Well I guess there is hope we will have football this year, and maybe not even miss a preseason game.

Man I hope I am right about this.

13. Mike Florio says: Jun 8, 2011 3:25 PM

Rosey called Albert Breer “Albert Brooks.”

I could have gone in and fixed it, but I decided to mess with him here instead.

14. angrytna says: Jun 8, 2011 3:25 PM

Well, they can jointly go screw themselves. Too bad it got to this point. We as fans still need to make our own statement. I already canceled my Sunday Ticket!

15. hobartbaker says: Jun 8, 2011 3:33 PM

“Hey man, we’re just rappin’ here, don’t get heavy on us. Bye and bye, dude. Bye and bye”, a spokesman coughed out, as they passed the joint back and forth. It was not offered to the reporters.

16. seabreezes51 says: Jun 8, 2011 3:34 PM

Let us know when they order the champaign.

17. ampats says: Jun 8, 2011 3:35 PM

Mike,

I was going to comment same thing.

nyjalleffinday,

They are at Hofstra since there has never been pro football there before.

18. purpleman527 says: Jun 8, 2011 3:37 PM

“NFL owners and players have engaged in further confidential discussions before Chief Magistrate Judge Boylan this week. Those discussions will continue,” the statement reads, as provided by NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.
    ————————————–
    Now that’s what I call progress.

What did they have for lunch?

I mean, if they could agree on lunch, then that certainly means the labor mess is improving.

19. descendency says: Jun 8, 2011 3:38 PM

Joint statements are awesome.

20. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 8, 2011 3:41 PM

Save the season or lose fans forever – that’s our bargaining chip.

Now make with the negotiations….

21. myballsmyrules says: Jun 8, 2011 3:45 PM

You heard it here first. But I can not divulge how I know.

Save this statement. Mark it down. Take it to the bank. Hell, print it off and sleep with it for all I care.

I will be happy to say I TOLD YOU SO, to any doubters

22. 2mannings1cup says: Jun 8, 2011 3:47 PM

The Jets’ receiving corps has a joint statement as well… its called the sticky icky bonding time.

23. dickroy says: Jun 8, 2011 3:49 PM

You are right. It doesn’t tell us much. In fact it tells us nothing. I just want a full 16 game schedule. The Steelers need another Superbowl ring!

24. jokendave says: Jun 8, 2011 3:55 PM

Its time to” Crap or get off the pot”. Us fans have had enough stories. Its time for action NOW!!!

25. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2011 3:55 PM

angrytna says:
    Jun 8, 2011 3:25 PM

=====================

Really? Why?

If they settle this in the next few weeks, you will have lost a total 0.00 football games that you would normally have gotten to see.

If you order a car from a manufacturer and it is scheduled to be delivered September 1st, and it does in fact arrive on that exact date, are you going to cancel your order because you found out they some labor issues over the summer?

26. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2011 4:13 PM

myballsmyrules says:
    Jun 8, 2011 3:45 PM
    You heard it here first. But I can not divulge how I know.

I will be happy to say I TOLD YOU SO, to any doubters
    =====================

We get it. Seriously, we get it. Please stop.

Many, many, people, myself included, have been predicting this since March.

No one is doubting you, cupcake, it’s just that no one cares about your prediction or it’s mystery source.

Please, please, do not pollute this site with your ridiculous “I told you so” pronouncements when this happens. It really isn’t that earth shattering a prediction.

27. myballsmyrules says: Jun 8, 2011 4:31 PM

@realitypolice

Really?
    I have not seen one comment from you stating anything regarding when an agreement would be reached? So please prove to me you have been saying this since March? Show me .

If a UFO touches down at Disneyland tomorow, you will say” I have been predicting that for a long time.

There is always one child in the room that will say” I knew that” after the facts come out.

Dude, quit tugging on Mommas apron and walk on your own two feet

28. ubummer says: Jun 8, 2011 4:32 PM

Did somebody say joint?

– Ricky Williams

29. myballsmyrules says: Jun 8, 2011 4:44 PM

The world will end tommorow
    realitypolice: I knew that! I predicted that a long, long time ago

The Panthers will win the Super Bowl this year.
    realitypolice: I knew that! I predicted that a long, long time ago

Starbucks will start selling shoes and stop selling coffeee
    realitypolice: I knew that! I predicted that a long, long time ago

Lady Gaga will be the next Prersident
    realitypolice: I knew that! I predicted that a long, long time ago

Always that one annoying person that knew everything, AFTER the fact
    LMAO

30. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2011 4:47 PM

@myballsmyrules:

Oh my God, you are really stupid.

I have posted at least a dozen times saying that there would be no games missed and the deal would be done shortly after the 8th circuit ruling.

If you are too retarded to search old posts, I am sure there are plenty of people on here who could back me up. Whether they will or not, I don’t know, and I don’t care.

You’re the one who just started predicting that a settlement is near, not me.

My momma died in 1991 and I suspect I’ve been walking on my own two feet long enough to have paid more in taxes last year than earned.

31. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2011 4:47 PM

myballsmyrules :

*than you earned*

32. realitypolice says: Jun 8, 2011 4:55 PM

@myballsmyrules:

I posted this yesterday:

When this gets done in plenty of time for a full season to be played, which I have been predicting since before the lockout even started, will the chicken littles be relieved that they won’t miss any football or disappointed that the dramatic domesday scenarios they were all predicting didn’t happen?
    =================

I posted two days ago:

As I have said all along, nothing will happen till the 8th circuit rules. Once they do, things will happen quickly.

New CBA by end of July.

==================

There’s two quick ones- trust me there are many more.

Figured you probably would need someone to do your homework for you.

33. laeaglefan says: Jun 8, 2011 4:59 PM

If they already know that they will have an agreement on or about July 1st, then why will it take that long?

Oh, I know….They can’t make it look so easy that everyone will ask why they couldn’t have done that months ago.

34. m1k3g says: Jun 8, 2011 5:00 PM

The “NFLPA*” thing isn’t funny anymore (not that it ever was). We all understand the lame joke, but they’re a TRADE ASSOCIATION now, so you’re technically wrong in referring to them as you are.

35. lowleadman says: Jun 8, 2011 5:13 PM

This what I’d like to see, and hope to if labor peace is to be achieved.

1. 50/50 split of revenue between the owners and players.
    2. Establishment of an 18 game schedule starting in 2014.
    3. Creation of a rookie salary cap. The top guys should get the dough, but more than Brady and Manning? Let’s be real.
    4. Long term health care plan for veteran players.
    5. A proportional boost to personnel based on the 18 game schedule.
    6. Leave the playoff format alone.
    7. Leave overtime rules alone.
    8. Leave the draft alone.
    9. Leave free agency and franchise tags alone.
    10. Make game officials full time employees of the NFL.

God bless America. Now, let’s get this thing done.

36. schemefactory says: Jun 8, 2011 5:23 PM

i predict ralityvoid, and my ballsaresmall’s comments will be deleted soon….. then i’ll say “i told you so!” and “first!”.

37. TIM says: Jun 8, 2011 5:41 PM

m1k3g:
    No,they are the players union and they always have been the players union and it seems that YOU and one liberal judge in Minnesota are the only ones on Earth that didn’t know the decertification thing was a total sham .Now even you know,your welcome .

38. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: Jun 8, 2011 5:54 PM

myballsmyrules says:
    Jun 8, 2011 3:08 PM
    You heard it here first. But I can not divulge how I know.

===========================

Was it your magic 8 ball that told you it was decidedly so?

39. bobothegreatest says: Jun 8, 2011 6:19 PM

Folks,

I dont mean to rain on your parade, but both sides need to show the 8th Circuit that they are trying to get a deal done. They want the 8th Circuit to see the other side as the “Bad guy.”

Dont expect much here..

One of these sides is more confident in their legal footing, and the other side knows it.

That will be the side that blinks.

Bobo

40. willycents says: Jun 8, 2011 7:15 PM

We have heard what Judge Nye had to say, what did the other two say/ask? Seems that since they were in the majority earlier, their comments/questions would be more relevant than Judge Nye’s since he doen’t have to change his vote for the lockout to be lifted. Just asking?

41. m1k3g says: Jun 8, 2011 7:34 PM

TIM says:
    Jun 8, 2011 5:41 PM
    m1k3g:
    ——————————————————————————————

Dear George W Tim Palin,

Simply put, you’re (notice I know the difference between ‘your’ and ‘you’re’) an idiot. Like it or not, THE UNION DECERTIFIED.

Now, the decertification thing was most definitely a sham. There’s no argument there. However, sham or not, it was their right to decertify, and they did. What the NFL owners are fighting over is whether or not they can still lock out the players, because of the fact that they feel decertification was a sham. No decision has been made on that yet.

Now even YOU know. You sir, are welcome.

Now run along, I hear Sean Hannity is going to be talking about Rev. Jeremiah Wright and his connections to Obama on his show tonight. I’m sure you won’t want to miss it!

42. commandercornpone says: Jun 8, 2011 9:03 PM

keg

the owners had the right to void the existing deal.

deal with that.

43. deljzc says: Jun 8, 2011 9:58 PM

I think they are working towards finding a way to structure a deal that allows the NFLPA* to save face.

The players lost.

D’Smith’s plan of decertification, suing to allow them get paid and play while moving forward with anti-trust lawsuits failed.

They have no bullets left in the gun except to hold up camp, which is NOT a realistic plan for the 1800 players. No way the players can outlast the owners and everyone knows that.

All they are working on now is how to spin D’Smith’s failure into a public opinion win-win. How the NFLPA can save face.

44. blackcatnfl says: Jun 8, 2011 10:19 PM

We both agree that it is the other sides’ fault.