David Garrard is generous

Washington Redskins v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

A few weeks ago, we pointed towards some classy comments from David Garrard welcoming Blaine Gabbert to the team. Garrard apparently even provided a welcome wagon: His Mercedes.

Gabbert and wide receiver Cecil Shorts aren’t old enough to rent a car, so Garrard gave them his car to tool around town during the team’s current full squad “minicamp.”

“I think it is worth more than every car I’ve owned combined, so I’m being pretty careful with it,’’ Gabbert told Vito Stellino of the Florida Times-Union.

Gabbert should be able to afford any car he wants once he signs his rookie deal.  In the meantime, Gabbert will try to unseat Garrard as the team’s starter.

“I am going to make it extremely hard for that to happen,’’ Garrard said.

We seriously doubt Gabbert could win the job by Week One on a shortened offseason.  Garrard is due $7.975 million and should collect on it. The bigger question is whether Garrard will be around in 2012.

“I said it before, if he’s better than me, he should play,” Garrard said. “The team should have the best guys out there on the field.’’

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
34 Responses to “David Garrard is generous”
  1. joetoronto says: Jun 9, 2011 12:38 PM

I’m guessing that ride is pimped out beyond belief.

2. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Jun 9, 2011 12:39 PM

What a class act. Major props to Mr. Garrard. Love the quote at the end. That should be every TEAM player’s mentality.

3. hobartbaker says: Jun 9, 2011 12:39 PM

“David, shouldn’t you get the brakes fixed before you lend the boys your car?”.

“Don’t worry honey.”.

4. kc4life7 says: Jun 9, 2011 12:40 PM

Wow, just gained a lot of respect for David Garrard. Sounds like a good dude.

5. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 9, 2011 12:42 PM

classy dude. i wish all nfl players were this classy.

6. medtxpack says: Jun 9, 2011 12:43 PM

better than letting Dante Stallworth borrow your car…

7. randysavage4ever says: Jun 9, 2011 12:43 PM

DANG!

dont u just love an NFL player with some heart & class…

I’m not a Jags fan, but I do like Garrard and how he handles business…

class move. grown man move… good stuff

8. tformation says: Jun 9, 2011 12:49 PM

respect to Garrard!

9. pack45champ says: Jun 9, 2011 12:51 PM

A class act

10. pwall1 says: Jun 9, 2011 12:51 PM

Garrard’s a classy guy. If he does lose his starting job this season, I don’t think he’ll have too much trouble finding work in 2012.

11. b7p19 says: Jun 9, 2011 12:52 PM

“David Garrard is generous”

Defenses have been saying that for years…

12. megabeast37215 says: Jun 9, 2011 12:56 PM

So many people on this site love to take shots at the Jags, and it’s moments like these when I remember why I don’t care. The team is full of selfless, hardworking, classy men… there isn’t a diva/cancer on the team. Gene Smith is building it back the right way, and I support his efforts in the fullest. Go Jags.. in Gene we trust.

13. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 9, 2011 1:04 PM

Too bad more guys weren’t as classy as Garrard. Too many guys like McNabb make it all about them.

14. Spencer says: Jun 9, 2011 1:07 PM

Can you name another veteran quarterback in recent memory who was this nice to a rookie brought in to replace him? Class act.

15. zoxitic says: Jun 9, 2011 1:10 PM

What? Nobody somehow worked in a tarp reference in their comments? You guys are getting soft.

16. polishkingski says: Jun 9, 2011 1:12 PM

I ALWAYS LIKED GARRARD. WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM IN BUFFALO IF THINGS DON`T WORK OUT.

17. kevinhello says: Jun 9, 2011 1:22 PM

As a Jags fan, I couldn’t be happier that Gabbert will get to learn how to carry himself from a class act like Garrard. Go Jags.

18. lovemesumlions says: Jun 9, 2011 1:27 PM

Very classy…sets the bar for other vets competing for their jobs.

19. lucky5934 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:33 PM

Spencer,

I recall Brett Favre doing that… wait, you said nice. My bad… umm no I don’t remember anyone. haha.

20. lucky5934 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:34 PM

I would definitely say he is generous… career high in INT’s in 2010. Doesn’t get more generous than that.

21. thephantomstranger says: Jun 9, 2011 1:37 PM

Spencer says:
    Jun 9, 2011 1:07 PM
    _______________

How about Brett Favr…

22. lucky5934 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:37 PM

twitter:Chapman_Jamie says,

What do you think… have some T-shirts made for McNabb that say “Fear the Wristband”

23. megabeast37215 says: Jun 9, 2011 2:49 PM

@lucky5934
    You forgot to mention a career high in passing touchdowns as well…. so gooooooooooo ____ yourself : )

24. dg0122 says: Jun 9, 2011 2:50 PM

Terrelle Pryor cant understand why thats a big deal

25. granadafan says: Jun 9, 2011 3:43 PM

“megabeast37215 says:
    Jun 9, 2011 12:56 PM
    So many people on this site love to take shots at the Jags, ”

Oh get over yourself, megabeast37215. Every team has potshots taken at them by fans from other teams. The Vikes and Packers have a pretty nasty rivalry. EVERYONE takes shots at the Raiders. The Redskins are a popular target on PFT as are the Cowboys. The Panthers are mocked, etc etc etc. Take that giant chip off your shoulder and come to the realization that the Jags are just irrelevant.

26. winkeroni says: Jun 9, 2011 3:56 PM

I’ve never understood why Garrard gets so much criticism. He’s definitely a starting caliber qb. Out of all the 1st round qb’s Gabbert is in the best situation. Garrard is a better qb than anyone the Vikings, Titans, and Panthers are going to be able to sign. Gabbert certainley has less pressure on him and Garrard can at least teach Gabbert how to behave like a pro.

27. nationalmediacansuckit says: Jun 9, 2011 3:58 PM

Perfect siuation for Gabbert. Sit and learn behind Garrard. Win and Garrard’s safe. Struggle and the Gabbert era will began. Personally I hope Garrard will have a career season that I know he it capable of. When he’s great, he’s great and when he’s bad, he’s horrible. This team is being built for greatness. Slowly but surely.

28. CKL says: Jun 9, 2011 4:01 PM

Garrard is the type of guy you root for regardless of your team allegiance. No wonder his teammates love the guy.

29. lucky5934 says: Jun 9, 2011 4:15 PM

@lucky5934

———————————————
    Your right… 23 touchdowns (tied for 13th in the league) would be a major accomplishment to some. Especially considering his previous high was an whopping “18″ touchdown passes. I mean HOLY CRAP that is amazing! Much higher than the previous two years of 15. Did I mention that he has only reached double digit touchdowns in 5 of his 9 seasons. His yardage ranked 23rd in the league. I mean how in the world did he accomplish soooo much to reach the 2,700 yard plateau. I can only imagine the hours and hours of hardwork to reach that milestone! Good thing he has fans like you that celebrate mediocrity.

30. lacharger2112 says: Jun 9, 2011 4:35 PM

Too bad things like this are the exception in the NFL and not the norm!

31. whatswiththehate says: Jun 9, 2011 10:27 PM

—————-
    Well Garrard, the sports media was already pushing Gabbert as being the “most ready NFL player” out of this past draft despite the obvious. So I’m sure they are hoping you mean what you’re saying cause they will be doing everything in their power to at least convince the fans that Gabbert is better than you even if he isn’t.

32. megabeast37215 says: Jun 10, 2011 6:29 AM

Lucky: They’re a run first team, you can’t expect 40 passing TDs from a team who pounds it 2 out of 3 plays. Add Garrards rushing touchdowns to his passing touchdowns and his stats look more effective. I trust my eyes… my eyes tell me he’s good but not great. When Garrard plays mistake free football, the Jags are tough to beat.

Granadafan: I am pretty over myself, thanks. : )

33. jcjaguar says: Jun 10, 2011 9:19 AM

Garrard is a good person and has shown that time and time again in Jax. He is also a decent QB on a average team…Is he the reason they are average? Is he the one keeping them from being a better team or is he the one keeping them out of the cellar? I know the defense has not been good at all the last few years and that is a big issue. But the NFL is a QB driven league and you really need a top-notch QB to get deep into the playoffs. Jags have seen what Garrard offers and they are trying to upgrade the position. I think Garrd is the QB until around game 11 or 12 when that schedule catches up to them. By then, Gabbert should be up to speed and they give him a chance.

GO JAGS!