Goodell tells fans lockout is for them, too

NFL And Players Resume Mediation Getty Images

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he’s not just thinking about the owners’ finances during the NFL lockout. He also says he’s thinking about the fans.

Specifically, Goodell told Tampa Bay Buccaneers season ticket holders that curbing the rising cost of attending games is one of the reasons for the lockout.

“We can’t continue to shift the cost, whether it’s the rising player cost or the rising cost of operating an NFL franchise, on to our fans,” Goodell said, per the Tampa Tribune. “That’s why we’re trying to get a better economic model. And I think everyone understands that. You are not being left out of the equation. The fans are a big part of that equation and a big part of the success of NFL football.”

If Goodell is telling the truth, that means that if a new Collective Bargaining Agreement that’s more favorable to the owners is hammered out, the growth rate of ticket prices should decline.

But if I were a season-ticket holder, I wouldn’t hold my breath: Supply and demand tells me that owners will charge as much as the market will bear for tickets, regardless of how they split the ticket revenue with the players.

On the conference call with Bucs fans, one said he’s praying for Goodell during the lockout.

“I appreciate your prayers,” Goodell said. “We’ll take any help we can get.”

Permalink 102 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
102 Responses to “Goodell tells fans lockout is for them, too”
  1. canetic says: Jun 9, 2011 7:12 AM

What a d*ck

2. larryed says: Jun 9, 2011 7:14 AM

Yeah, sure…the owners are looking out for our best interests. That is the dumbest thing that dude has come up with yet.

3. clownsfan says: Jun 9, 2011 7:16 AM

I don’t know one fan who believes anything that comes out of this guy’s mouth.

4. tarken10 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:24 AM

Suuuure, the NFL cares about its fans – like with the Blackmail, uh, I mean, the Blackout Rule. Sorry fans. If you don’t sell out your stadium, you don’t get to watch your home team on TV.

What a shining example of compassion and thoughtfulness.

5. robf2010 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:24 AM

Good one, Roger.

6. sameer1138 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:24 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH. At least Goodell is drinking his own Kool-Aid. No one else is.

7. artyshellz says: Jun 9, 2011 7:25 AM

Praying for Goodell……..WAKE UP!!!

Anyone who thinks that the lockout helps fans in any way is clueless.

You got it right Michael, the ticket prices will and always have been determined by how much we the fans are willing to pay, lockout or not.

8. impeachgoodell says: Jun 9, 2011 7:26 AM

Yeah right, I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Roger the dodger at his artful best.

9. reidstinks says: Jun 9, 2011 7:28 AM

I think I speak for every fan, go F yourself Goodell.

10. pooponurface says: Jun 9, 2011 7:28 AM

If Goodell were telling the truth, they’d be trying to give up some of this revenue they can’t figure out how to split, and lowering ticket prices.

11. bingocostello says: Jun 9, 2011 7:29 AM

Good stay locked out forever, this way us poor fans won’t spend dime one on the NFL (National Felony League)

12. gbfanforever says: Jun 9, 2011 7:31 AM

Really? Praying for Goodell? Not only are your priorities ridiculously insane but the presumption that God wants to listen to your bs about the lockout is embarrassing for you and your religion.

13. moochzilla says: Jun 9, 2011 7:31 AM

He really needs to stop talking. Like, right now.

Every time he opens his mouth and talks about ‘the fans’, he alienates a significant number of them.

His statement above yet another example of a puppet going off script with terrible consequences. He’s the Palin of sports commissioners.

14. piratefreedom says: Jun 9, 2011 7:32 AM

Thanks Roger!
    I assume you’ll also be giving me with cancer in the same spirit of generosity.
    So thanks in advance for that.

15. jimr10 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:33 AM

Roger, keep your mouth shut.

16. awb35 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:33 AM

OH yeah cause goodell is concerned about saving the people some money, RIIIIIGHT!

17. evomike06 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:33 AM

This guy is so full of crap it’s not even funny. How many times has he said something was “for the fans” and every fan you talk to can’t stomach what he is trying to do? Open your ears Goodell and stop flapping that retarted ass mouth of yours. All we want is football and if you don’t give it to us this season a lot of us are willing to walk away and really hurt you where it will hurt.. YOUR WALLET!

18. chapnastier says: Jun 9, 2011 7:36 AM

Anyone who thinks the teams or Goodell control ticket prices is an idiot. The person who controls the ticket prices are the people who buy the tickets from those who paid face value for them to begin with. Once the season ticket holder pays face value it is out of the hands of the league. Maybe they could lower concession prices though.

19. norfva says: Jun 9, 2011 7:37 AM

So the owners want to get more money by making less money. These guys are idiots. The only thing they are doing to the fans is saying we know we can do what we want and you will still come back. The NFL is a joke and Goodel is at the front of this.

20. urfinished says: Jun 9, 2011 7:38 AM

For someone who started out seemingly strong, this guy really is becoming “hateable”. If ticket prices lower, I’ll eat crow all day long, but I think it is safe to say that won’t happen.

21. blizzard01 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:39 AM

That is hilarious.

22. alewatcher says: Jun 9, 2011 7:41 AM

“This lockout is for you”.

Why do I not believe this?

23. eaglescouch says: Jun 9, 2011 7:44 AM

Thanks Rog, I’m glad someone’s fighting for us in there!

It’s the complete and utter BS like this that infuriates the fans like nothing else. It’s a total lie and everyone knows it. Just be honest and don’t say stuff life this. It only makes the Owners look worse, and the Commissioner look less credible.

24. NFL Football Now says: Jun 9, 2011 7:46 AM

Child Please

25. trilbilly says: Jun 9, 2011 7:46 AM

So how does an 18 game season help lower ticket prices?

26. crunchyclam says: Jun 9, 2011 7:48 AM

What a bunch of bull puck. When the players cave later this summer ticket prices will still be expensive and fans will still have to pay for PSLs. His “pro-fan” PR is a joke. Roger must be training for a career in politics.

27. joe6606 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:48 AM

So the new CBA will impose a mandatory cap on % increase in tix prices tied to revenue, that will be publically displayed for us fans to verify?

didn’t think so.

Goodell, please, please please just shut up regarding all comments of how you are supporting us fans. You couldn’t be more clueless.

28. rboyett says: Jun 9, 2011 7:52 AM

I’m not calling Goodell a liar, but I sure do have a hard time believing him on this one.

29. donovanmcflabb says: Jun 9, 2011 7:56 AM

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Goodell. I really do appreciate you opening up my Sundays so that now I may have to fire my lawn guy and take care of my lawn by MYSELF! Yeah, I much prefer that to drinking a few cold beers and watching a day of football. Thank you, Goodell.

30. gtmann says: Jun 9, 2011 7:59 AM

Sure…………I believe that!!!!

31. dabigbangclock says: Jun 9, 2011 8:00 AM

Haha wow…

If anyone on here was holding on to any hope that Goodell is not completely delusional is this enough proof?

If this Bucs season ticket holder only prayed that there would be no lockout we wouldn’t be in this situation, what a missed opportunity

32. thegonz13 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:01 AM

OK, Rog… so let me get this straight. You’re depriving us of football for our own good?

C’MON, MAN!

33. spartaninnh says: Jun 9, 2011 8:03 AM

Enough shilling for the owners, Roger. You’re the commissioner of the league, and you’re supposed to be acting for the benefit of FOOTBALL as a whole. You are also smart enough to know that, just as the post points out, if you are telling the truth about the need for this new “economic model,” what the ultimate result (should you get it) must be is reduced ticket prices for us fans. Not setting aside TV money for owners during their own lockout, not cutting employees pay (but not hours) during a lockout the league has been planning for years, but cutting ticket prices.

What? Not gonna happen? Stop talking about how this is for the fans. It isn’t. It’s for the owners, just like the 18-game schedule is. The owners, Roger. Own up to it or shut up.

Be the Commissioner. Act for football.

34. hendawg21 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:07 AM

Oh horse crap…since when have the fans been a factor in this mess??? Oh have they been reading what the diehard football masses have been saying? And have ticket sales fallen off? If they want to help the fans in this mess then part of the $9 billion they are arguing about should be designated to lower ticket/concession prices…

When I still had season tickets a day at the game for two people:

2 tickets = $200.00
    Parking = $35.00
    3 beers a piece = $48.00
    ———————————
    $283.00

And that’s at the low end depending on what else you might buy, so yes a good portion of the money they are trying to determine how to split should go to stadium employees and the fan experience on game day.

35. lucky5934 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:08 AM

Ahh, just when I almost had forgotten what a bad commissioner Roger Goodell is, he goes and pulls this crap.

36. sneckel23 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:10 AM

That’s like when some piece of trash beats up on his wife saying it’s for her own good.

37. dspyank2k11 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:11 AM

All I saw was blah blah blah Lockout is for fans too.

Really?

38. vikefan says: Jun 9, 2011 8:11 AM

u r 1 lying POS……..u & d.smith deserve each other.

39. mathsimillion says: Jun 9, 2011 8:14 AM

That would be great if Ticket prices didn’t keep rising. It would be even better if the new economic model made ticket prices go down… but who are we kidding. That would never happen.

Still, I’m pulling for this thing to get done with a deal that is fair for everyone and also allows the Teams to continue making a profit and paying expenses. The current rookie deals and the constant record breaking deals for the next big name are really what’s hurting the most IMO.

40. mathsimillion says: Jun 9, 2011 8:18 AM

People who are blaming Goodell in this are idiots. Goodell is a pawn. He doesn’t set ticket prices. He also didn’t cause the lockout. The owners are the ones who make those calls. Cut the guy some slack. I give him props for doing as well has he’s been doing considering the situation he’s been put in. It would suck being commish during this time and he’s handled it with class. He’s gotten a ton of criticism and has handled it very well IMO.

41. Topher says: Jun 9, 2011 8:18 AM

I’m not so stupid as to believe that you actually give a rat’s backside about me. Its my dollar that you care about. I can’t afford to take my son to an NFL game and I’m certain that bothers you only in that you can’t get your hands on the $40 I can afford to spend.

42. shrike58 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:21 AM

Hey Roger, stop trying to fake sincerity; you just don’t have those kind of mad skills.

43. moochzilla says: Jun 9, 2011 8:23 AM

Again, we like capitalism until we can’t afford what it is charging.

Given the nature of demand, ticket prices will ALWAYS go up. Until people stop buying them, as chapnastier pointed out. The NFL makes it’s money on TV, the tickets are a drop in the bucket. So this quote from Roger is double-BS.

As for concessions dropping, no shot. I believe many are controlled by the municipality, no? Unless the owner owns the stadium? So I can’t believe they’d be lowered in either case. Again, if people stand in line to buy $8 beers and are buying a lot of the product, you don’t cut them a break price-wise.

Simple supply and demand.

But to expect a price cut? Nonsense. And insulting to our collective intelligence.

He thinks we’re stupid.

44. nodecafplz1 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:24 AM

Roge, did you check with the owners before saying this? I smell a “what I meant was,” coming soon to a microphone near you.

45. zoxitic says: Jun 9, 2011 8:26 AM

Goodell – Bad for the NFL

46. evrybdyhas1 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:29 AM

Neither side respects the customer, the fan and both sides think the fans are dumb. How else can you explain the Crap coming from both sides attempting to cloak this greed grab.
    Please don’t tell us this is for the fans, we don’t want an 18 game season and players respect the late great Mr. Upshaw and don’t use his name and exploit in the same sentence unless you want to exploit his name for your greed grab.

47. waldoampere says: Jun 9, 2011 8:32 AM

Wow. He really thinks we’re stupid.

48. imjinbrdgr says: Jun 9, 2011 8:33 AM

“I didn’t text those pictures”

“I didn’t have sex with that woman”

“I won’t @#$% in your mouth”

“It’s all about the fans”

Take your pick.

49. fltharley says: Jun 9, 2011 8:34 AM

what a p.o.s. liar goodell is . god is there no shame in this man. of course he is for the fan every survey ive read a people i know do not want a 18 game schedule. but goodell is thinking of us right. they also want the rules left alone goodell. no one wants a two hand touch football league. i gave up my season tickets and i will not watch one single game or spend one dime on a league with this liar as it head. roger goodell will go down in history as they absolute worse commissioner of any sport ever. shut up goodell and get out of the way.

50. Kave Krew says: Jun 9, 2011 8:34 AM

Here’s my NFL experience for 4 during 2011:
    4 season tix – $6k
    Gas- $700
    Parking – $400
    Food – $800
    Drinks- $1k
    Pro Shop – $400
    Having my intelligence insulted by the Commisioner – Priceless

51. liquidgrammar says: Jun 9, 2011 8:35 AM

He is the reason I root for the lockout to wipe out the season!! This shows you the contempt they have for the fans!! I say we lock them out of our wallets!!! Just one game, to show all of them what type of power WE have as consumers! I agree, go F YOURSELF GOODELL!!!!!

52. handsatlanta says: Jun 9, 2011 8:36 AM

Roger Goodell has small feet. It’s the only way he can fit both of them into his mouth at the same time.

53. wannabeqb says: Jun 9, 2011 8:36 AM

Way to go Goodell, we had a couple of days where people were optimistic and then you come out with more nonsense. The lockout is so billionaire owners have more leverage to make more money. The same billionaire owners you are incapable of standing up to.

You were supposed to be the mediator in these talks, a neutral party safeguarding the game and its fans from long work stoppages and you have failed.

54. mohline says: Jun 9, 2011 8:37 AM

Goodell should keep his mouth shut. The fans are not stupid. The owners will charge what the market will bear, just like they will try to get as much on their TV contracts (players do the same when their contracts are negotiated).

The players $$$ is going up because the total revenue is going up proportionally. This lockout is all about the OWNERS wanting a bigger piece of the pie, not about passing the savings on to the fans.

Give me a break, Roger. Stop trying to spin this, and just get a deal done that can last 10+ years because it works for both sides.

55. playerbeware says: Jun 9, 2011 8:42 AM

In my opinion i think Goodell is turning the average fan against the owneres so much more with each and every stupid statement that comes out of his month. The owners are putting employees on furlough or cutting their pay. Explain that Goodell, how about its about GREED!!

56. mightymightylafootball says: Jun 9, 2011 8:44 AM

That’s a real whopper, Rog.

You just give me a heads up when you cut tix prices league-wide by 10%. I’m waiting.

Douche.

57. jpiro says: Jun 9, 2011 8:46 AM

I’ll be looking forward to seeing the language in the new CBA that puts a cap on ticket, parking and concession prices. Anything short of that, Roger, and you’re entirely full of crap.

58. neilpountney says: Jun 9, 2011 8:47 AM

You really do just have to sit back in disbelief at some of the things this guy says. He has a way of totally rubbing fans up the wrong way with nearly everything he says. This latest comment is so clearly politicking.

Roger, we know you really couldn’t give a damn about the fans so stop trying to win us over with your assinine comments. You are just making a bad situation even worse everytime you open your mouth.

59. vetdana says: Jun 9, 2011 8:47 AM

The people who believe these comments by Goodell, you can count on one hand.Economics 101 [supply side econ.] translates to mean only one thing, as far as stadium and concession prices for the fans means…..fans stop buying tickets….prices guranteed to go DOWN ! Nothing else will ever lower prices…Period.

60. kevinfromphilly says: Jun 9, 2011 8:51 AM

Rog, if you’re doing this for me, stop doing me favors, OK?

61. demoderbydoug says: Jun 9, 2011 8:52 AM

Another words Roger screwed the fans by letting it get this far with ticket prices now the fans are going to have to do without football because he is trying to fix the screw up of letting players get $ 10 million a year and owners fly long lost family members to the bahamas for the weekend to celebrate raping fans on ticket and merchandising prices.When there is $ 9 billion being fought over its obvious who the real victims are here screw the owners, players, commissioner, player reps the fans should lock them all out. At this point I would rather watch the UFL or NCAA.

62. seabreezes51 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:53 AM

“Billy, you know why I whipped yerass?”

Says Billy, “No Dad”

Says Dad, “Back to the shed, boy”

63. seneca1ss says: Jun 9, 2011 8:55 AM

Goodell also said “i could see the Super Bowl being played overseas one day”

over MY DEAD Body!

He has ZERO people skills and the personality of coma patient

64. snowpea84 says: Jun 9, 2011 8:59 AM

I agree with him.

65. shallowfan says: Jun 9, 2011 9:00 AM

“The fans are a big part of that equation and a big part of the success of NFL football.”

Just a big part of the success of the NFL? How about the fans make the NFL.

Fans = $$$
    No $$$ No NFL

You’d think he would’ve said the fans are the NFL. Without the fans we have nothing.

66. givensr2 says: Jun 9, 2011 9:06 AM

Prayers? There have massive tragedies across the country across the last 3 months and people are praying for idiots that can’t share $10 billion?????

The NFL should continue, but everyone in the current system should be banned once it returns.

67. chizzle20 says: Jun 9, 2011 9:06 AM

F*** you Goodell!

68. flyinhighwithvick says: Jun 9, 2011 9:16 AM

I long for Paulie Tags.

69. rpiotr01 says: Jun 9, 2011 9:19 AM

The lockout lasting into the season would be a gift to my wife, my dog, my church, my waistline, my wallet and my HDL cholesterol… but not to me. No sir, not to me.

70. chapnastier says: Jun 9, 2011 9:21 AM

Thanks for the shout out mooch. I am starting to think a lot of people who comment do so just because. They are like that person who talks just to here themselves talk. They really don’t know what they are saying or understand their logic (if they have any) but they still feel the need to complain. No matter if its De Smith or Goodell it seems there is always an even number of people complaining which doesn’t make much statistical sense.

Folks I got my season tickets for face value. In the event that I decide to sell one or two I will sell them for the highest price that someone is willing to pay me for them. That is called common sense (cents). If you don’t want to pay that much for them, then don’t, but as long as there is someone willing to pay more for them, then I, and other season ticket holders, am going to take it. Goodell could call me personally and tell me not to sell them for more than that and I would tell him to go eff himself.

Sheep.

71. Land Snark says: Jun 9, 2011 9:31 AM

@flyinhighwithvick

“I long for Paulie Tags.”

Really? Who do you think negotiated the last CBA that got the NFL into this quagmire?

It was Tagliabue.

For you clown shoes who think Goodell is the worst sports commissioner of the 4 major sports, I have to point and laugh at you.

Really.

You think he’s worse than Bettman who shut down the NHL for a year and nearly nuked the sport into obscurity in the U. S.?

Goodell is worse than Selig, a commissioner who oversaw not only a work stoppage but willingly allowed his sport to be tainted by steroids because he knew it was the only way the sport would survive?

Goodell is worse than Stern, a commissioner who has some of the worst officiating of any sport because the bias toward the stars of the league is incredibly obvious?

Sure. If you say so. It must be.

72. dansnydersux says: Jun 9, 2011 9:31 AM

What a shining example of compassion and thoughtfulness.

Especially when said stadium was financed mainly with taxpayer money.

73. brutus9448 says: Jun 9, 2011 9:54 AM

the truth is the fans is the last thing they are thinking about. both the players and NFL care about one thing. Themselves. Give me a break

74. gdeli says: Jun 9, 2011 10:03 AM

I like the big screen tv experience better. The seats suck in the metrodome and everything is too expensive for a family anyway.

75. CKL says: Jun 9, 2011 10:30 AM

eaglescouch says:
    Jun 9, 2011 7:44 AM
    Thanks Rog, I’m glad someone’s fighting for us in there!

___________________________________
    Couldn’t have said it better…well done.

To the dude who said RG is in training to be a politician, he comes by that…”honestly”. His father was a senator.

76. mnsportsguy79 says: Jun 9, 2011 10:30 AM

Hey season-ticket holders…it’s Roger Goodell on the line…he’s got some ocean front property he’ll sell you on the cheap!

77. eaglesnoles05 says: Jun 9, 2011 10:36 AM

Since it’s for the fans, i don’t get why one of the sides should (since it’s for the fans) say, “ok, we’ll take our hands off of that billion-off-the-top (barf) we’re arguing about if YOU agree to take your hands off it too and appropriate it across the league to mandate a lower face-value ticket.” It’d be a GREAT negotiating tactic because you would help the fans (ie: the ONLY people suffering financially is this entire mess. Look up “suffering financially” if you think otherwise, cuz you don’t know what it is), gain all of their support with such a gesture, AND make the other side look like a-holes if they decline the proposal. It basically blackmails your opponent into taking the deal or looking like, well, like Goodell looks now. Good idea, tight NFL and NFLPA*? Right? Why do you sound like crickets?

78. smittydub says: Jun 9, 2011 10:38 AM

In the immortal words of George Costanza – “It’s not a lie if you BELIEVE it…”

79. capslockkey says: Jun 9, 2011 10:39 AM

That’s just it, they are already at the threshold of what the market will bear. They can’t push ticket prices any further and they know it. Just look at how many teams were struggling with blackouts last season, and I’m not talking about bottom dwellers either. How does this sport that is at the pinnacle of it’s popularity have issues with local blackouts? It’s because most fans feel that ticket prices are already too high as it is andit isn’t worth the cost when they can watch at home or their local bar for free.

80. mightyleemoon says: Jun 9, 2011 10:40 AM

So much hate over a game.

The owners and the players are doing the same thing. Bending you, the consumer, over a barrel.

But, as a consumer, that’s what you’re dealing with on a daily basis. Why get worked up over it?

You go to the grocery store…and they are charging you the absolute most they believe you will pay. Same for your clothes…your gasoline…your education.

Crying about commercialism/consumerism is about as dull as it gets.

81. p01ntman says: Jun 9, 2011 10:40 AM

The best way to end this lock out is to have PFT and Football fans to start focusing and talking more on UFL & CFL. Also buy ticket(s) and merchandise of UFL or CFL teams and show the NFL Players and owners that it is We The Fans that make the Football world go round. When they both see that we arnt going to pay either of them then this lock out will end.
    (easier said than done I know (it breaks your heart) but we MUST!)

82. pdxpanther says: Jun 9, 2011 10:46 AM

*BUUUZZZZ* Wrong answer Roger.

83. laeaglefan says: Jun 9, 2011 10:55 AM

If Goodell really cared about the fans, he’d put all the games on NFL.com and let the fans choose games they want to watch on a game by game basis at a reasonable price (say $9.95 per game) instead of making them shell out over $300 to DirecTV for the entire season package. With popular teams like the Eagles, at least half of the games are on free TV anyway to people not in the local Philly TV area. That way they could watch the ones that aren’t at a reasonable price. They wouldn’t have to pay for an entire season package just to watch 8 games that they don’t get for free anyway.

84. joe6606 says: Jun 9, 2011 11:17 AM

“How does this sport that is at the pinnacle of it’s popularity have issues with local blackouts? It’s because most fans feel that ticket prices are already too high as it is andit isn’t worth the cost when they can watch at home or their local bar for free.”
    ———————————
    that’s not entirely accurate.

The NFL struggles to fill some stadiums because of the undeniable fact that, due to advancements in HD TVs, the at home viewing experience is much, much better than pretty much any seat in the stadium.

When you add expensive tickets, parking and concessions, as well as the annoyances of traffic and dealing with drunkard/unruly fans, you get a product that tends to make a lot of people think they’re making better use of their $$ and enjoyment staying home.

85. brooks07 says: Jun 9, 2011 11:23 AM

I was on this call yesterday.. Goodell talked to season ticket holders for a full half hour without saying anything.. When he was asked a question that he didn’t want to answer, he just talked around the issue for a while without answering anything.

I have definitely lost a lot of respect for him since this strike started. I guess I thought he was an unbiased mediator between the players and the owners but he has revealed himself to be a bagman for the owners and he’s lost control of this whole mess.

86. MCxShow says: Jun 9, 2011 11:31 AM

Why did Paul Tagliabue have to leave?

87. sandyf79705 says: Jun 9, 2011 11:36 AM

Goodell must think all fans are idiots. The owners will always charge based on supply and demand not some CBA contract.

This really makes me distrust the owners even more. They are just as greedy as the oil companies executives and maybe even more so.

As fans, we really need to be able to nip this crap in the bud but just like with the price of gas, people do not want to work together to force something. If every fan would boycott the NFL sponsors for one month, not buy any NFL gear for one month and not visit any NFL facility for one month then I guarantee you the players and owners would have a new CBA within a couple of days. Same thing could happen in a gasoline way. Just no one buy gas from say Shell for a week (buy from anyone else) and the price would start to come down because Shell would end up bringing their price down and others would follow.

Simple things lead to great resolutions. Not buying from the sponsors for a month would put extreme pressure to get a new CBA quickly. Problem is we just won’t do it.

88. 52sackmachine says: Jun 9, 2011 11:45 AM

This guy needs to shut up and listen to the fans. If he is serious he wouldv’e listened to the fans by now. The fans at Radio City Mus-ic Hall made spoke for all NFL Fans World Wide. Roger shut your pie hole,open your deaf-tone ears, and Listen to the fans…WE WANT FOOTBALL!!! It’s your Job to make that Happen!

89. olcap says: Jun 9, 2011 11:48 AM

Goodell, born with the proverbial silver spoon in his mouth, has not accomplished anything in his life that would have accomplished making him into an upstanding man. All he knows is the life of luxury of being the sonny boy of a US Senator. US Senators are famous for living high on the hog at the expense of the taxpayers, so Goodell is nothing more than an overpriviliged boy accustomed to entitlements.

He is also lying through his teeth. Despicable!

90. imeansmom says: Jun 9, 2011 12:10 PM

Call me crazy but here’s an idea…..compromise! The players can have their extra money, but it is the form of a donation to the charity of their choice. They can then claim that on their taxes….it’s a win win for everyone!!!

91. pack45champ says: Jun 9, 2011 12:54 PM

I wish ‘ol Rog would stop being so good to us.

92. certtified49er says: Jun 9, 2011 1:51 PM

Goodell is a puppet and owners are his master. How did this guy ever become commissionaire of the NFL. Sad times for football

93. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Jun 9, 2011 3:11 PM

sandyf79705 says: Jun 9, 2011 11:36 AM

Goodell must think all fans are idiots.

——————————————

He doesn’t think, he knows that fans are idiots…

As chap, mooch and vet and sandy have pointed out, the fans are the ones determining the price of a ticket…They couldn’t possibly be bothered by how they cost because if they were, they would simply stop buying them…

And to everyone who keeps thumbing down any post that explains the basic Economics theory at work here, may I suggest that you stop relying on your GED and go to college…

94. stanklepoot says: Jun 9, 2011 5:23 PM

Ok, the current economic model is rather simple really. Players receive a percentage of the revenue the NFL takes in, but they have little to no say as to how the league goes about getting that revenue. So, the players don’t get any additional money out of the fans unless the owners have already taken that money from the fans. As such, blaming the rise in ticket prices on the players is absurd, and nothing more than a cheap PR stunt meant to win over fans to the owners side by blaming the players for the decisions made by the owners. The rise in players’ salaries is a result of the rise in league revenue, not the cause of it. PSLs are proof that the league will squeeze every last cent it can out of fans that go to games. If ticket prices do finally stop rising, or if that increase slows to a crawl, it will be because the league realizes that they’ve maxed out what they can charge without losing too many purchasers. It will not, however, have anything to do with the way the owners split the money with the players.

95. stanklepoot says: Jun 9, 2011 6:28 PM

chapnastier says: Jun 9, 2011 9:21 AM

Sheep.
    _________________________
    Well said, chap, but I think most people were complaining about the face price of tickets, as well as the PSLs. Your post does, however, point out a major fact: there are still people willing to pay even more money for some of these tickets. That being the case, we can expect prices to continue to rise, at least in places where they’re not having problem selling tickets. It’s simple supply and demand, and that factor will control the price of tickets regardless of what percentage the players end up with.

96. 6thsense79 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:44 PM

imeansmom says:
    Jun 9, 2011 12:10 PM
    ——————————————-

Ummm….The players are not asking for extra money. The owners are. You gotta know what you’re talking about before offering advice.

97. goldsteel says: Jun 10, 2011 1:58 AM

I am no fan of Roger Goodell as commissioner of the NFL. But having stated that, he isn’t completely off base. Some of the more financially successful teams pay into a pool of money that is used to support some of the teams that are not as successful. Some of the owners of those successful teams resent the arrangement. If the teams in general are allowed to keep a greater percentage of money this can only help the fiscal solvency of the entire league.

98. countyk66ers says: Jun 10, 2011 8:43 AM

For sure, I’m holding out for cheaper ticket prices. Tell me again why the pre-season games are full price, and why you need my season ticket money in March when the season starts in August, and why you need my play-off money in early December but can’t take a credit card because it is too difficult to process? Oh, and why a standing room only seat where you can’t even see the field is such a good deal………for the …fans.

99. waynefontes says: Jun 10, 2011 11:50 AM

Goodell channeling his inner Vince McMahon. I love it.

100. jc1958cool says: Jun 11, 2011 8:33 AM

roger pinnochio, i said it 3 months ago!

101. pizzon says: Jun 13, 2011 10:55 PM

Gee if he is really interested in us the fans then maybe he will continue to be the commisssioner for a dollar as is the case now. lets see that continue after the lockout is over. oops time to come back to reality.

102. walleyewall says: Jun 14, 2011 5:51 PM

roger the rabbit

ive been a fan for 20 years wat have u done for the fan ? cover up the video tappings and NOTHING

heres from a fan
    bring back football and i swear ill never say i have take a roger rabbit again when goin #2

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh roger