NFL begins sending out invitations to activate fantasy leagues

127321_crop_340x234 Getty Images

When the NFL unveiled the 2011 schedule in April, plenty of people wondered why the league would do it in the throes of a lockout.  When the NFL tinkered with the rules in May, folks likewise shook their heads over efforts to make players safer at a time when keeping them from working is providing the ultimate protection against concussions.

The NFL has once again put the cart before the horse, sending out on Monday an e-mail blast urging fans to activate their fantasy football leagues through NFL.com.

“Raise your game,” the electronically-delivered ad states.  “We raised our game so you could raise yours.”

“Raised our game”?  Or “razed our game”?

Look, I use the NFL.com fantasy football application every year.  And I like it.  And if there’s a 2011 season, I’ll use it again.  But the last thing I’m going to do in early June with no light at the end of the lockout tunnel is activate or join a league.

It’s not an affirmative boycott.  It’s reality.  At a certain level, there’s also a little bit of a jinx mentality involved.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Union
41 Responses to “NFL begins sending out invitations to activate fantasy leagues”
  1. willycents says: Jun 9, 2011 1:25 PM

By the time the season starts, I’m afraid I will know more about court procedures and filings than I know about football this year :(

2. b7p19 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:26 PM

“Either way, if all the effort spent by the league doing things that are premised on the lockout ending were devoted to ending the lockout, the lockout would have ended by now.”

Thats not fair. Nobody that works on the fantasy league apps is going to have anything to do with negotiating a new CBA.

If anything, running fantasy business as usual is providing an excuse to not lay off more workers.

3. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 9, 2011 1:26 PM

Yahoo, CBS Sports and a lot of other sites have also begun sign ups for their fantasy football leagues. Your league bashing here is nonsense. And what effort? Some internet nerd sending a mass email? I bet those two minutes that an irrelevant employee spent sending this message out really could have made the players come up with a counter proposal.

4. manderson367 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:28 PM

Being a fantasy team owner, I’ve locked out my players too. :)

5. tdk24 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:30 PM

All i heard was blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

6. lovesportsandsurfing says: Jun 9, 2011 1:32 PM

FF guys are men that dont have regular access to a woman.

7. chc4 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:32 PM

Is this news?

8. thephantomstranger says: Jun 9, 2011 1:32 PM

_______________

Really? I was under the impression that the people doing the labor negotiations and the people sending out fantasy football invitiations were different people. So the NFL only has, like, four employees?

Do you really want the NFL to wait until a settlement has been reached to release the schedule, make rule changes, and send out fantasy football invitations? I’d prefer that they go on as if the season would be played as usual than have to cram everything in right before the season starts.

9. theangryrob says: Jun 9, 2011 1:33 PM

CBS sent their “sign up for fantasy football now” message today as well. Any fantasy football outlet would be stupid not to try to get people to sign up despite the lockout.

But, of course, only the NFL gets singled out on these pages.

10. stubbyjones says: Jun 9, 2011 1:36 PM

Id just click ‘unsubscribe’.

11. packerfaninfl says: Jun 9, 2011 1:37 PM

So let me get this straight……The NFL has no idea if there is a season but they will be getting paid via there TV contract no matter what. Now they also want us FF team owners to pay them to do nothing??? Yea that will happen…

My account will activate as soon as the lockout ends!

12. baddegg says: Jun 9, 2011 1:39 PM

It’s probably an “auto-email” that goes out to all active leagues at a set time. I’m sure no effort was expended to send that email.

13. marvsleezy says: Jun 9, 2011 1:41 PM

It actually is a big deal – They are asking you to pay full price up front, and there may not be a season?!?

I didnt see any details on how they will refund the money.

Will they give me interest? Will it be a full refund, or prorated based on a shortened season??

Its BAD PR to remind people there is potentially no season coming up, and to then ask for money!

14. lucky5934 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:41 PM

Can’t win my league again if no NFL… oh well… Thank you PFT for yet another reminder of why I hate both sides in this labor agreement.

15. pastorinisflak says: Jun 9, 2011 1:41 PM

I’m sure those e-mails are set up to be sent out automatically and this is the least of the NFL’s concerns. Sure it may hurt their integrity but…wait a second who am I kidding, the NFL has no integrity.

16. jivinitrotton says: Jun 9, 2011 1:41 PM

im for the owners in this mess. who cares about the players. football is a game of owners. i like tuneing in to football every sunday and watch the owners on the field playing there guts out. so of course the owners deserve all the money

17. downsouth49er says: Jun 9, 2011 1:41 PM

lovesportsandsurfing says:
    Jun 9, 2011 1:32 PM

“FF guys are men that dont have regular access to a woman.”

Says the guy who goes to the beach to surf!! Most guys go to pick up hot chicks in bikinis.

18. whitemike55 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:44 PM

A buddy and I were talking today how will be do FF if there is an 8 game season? 5 weeks of regular season and 3 playoffs?

I personally think this gets resolved mid July. This is all a process….. No more harm or foul is being realized until training camps are missed.

As long as players and leaue are still talking without lawyers a deal may be done by the end of this month.

19. p01ntman says: Jun 9, 2011 1:44 PM

Don’t do it! Show them our dissatisfaction.

20. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Jun 9, 2011 1:46 PM

packerfaninfl says: Jun 9, 2011 1:37 PM

My account will activate as soon as the lockout ends!
    —————————————————–

You pay for your NFL.com FF? Wow you are a sucker.

21. readmywork says: Jun 9, 2011 1:47 PM

I got the email as well. At least this game is pretty sweet. They should push it out now. Would you rather they wait until the day the CBA comes out?

22. b7p19 says: Jun 9, 2011 1:49 PM

@lovesportsandsurfing –

Actually, I was cut off from “regular access to women” when I got married, not when I started playing fantasy football.

Nobody cares that you like surfing…

23. mgborgli says: Jun 9, 2011 2:02 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, I’m hooked. Idont know how how they were able to do it , was it the Sunday ticket or the draft better yet hard knocks. Point being potential lockout or not I’m joining a league as soon as possible . I need my fix

24. readmywork says: Jun 9, 2011 2:18 PM

@mgborgli

I couldn’t agree more. They have really pushed the envelope this year with the game and frankly we all need something to look forward to with the NFL and knowing that fantasy football is coming right around the corner only helps

25. readmywork says: Jun 9, 2011 2:20 PM

@po1ntman

Show the NFL your dissatisfaction by not signing up for Fantasy Football? Come on now.

26. whiteboy11 says: Jun 9, 2011 2:25 PM

I thought the NFL was against gambling ??????????

and that is all fantasy football is about ………GAMBLING

27. brooklynbully says: Jun 9, 2011 2:28 PM

Lol I just got this email opened it, read it , and then laughed , then deleted . You not getting my money and then next week we will see on pft that “talks gone sour” clowns…

28. mrizzo44 says: Jun 9, 2011 2:29 PM

lovesportsandsurfing says: Jun 9, 2011 1:32 PM

FF guys are men that dont have regular access to a woman.

——————————–

My wife would have to disagree with you on that one. I think FF guys are men who are extremely unproductive at work (like me).

29. sowcrates says: Jun 9, 2011 2:29 PM

Fantasy players don’t want to draft before they see free agency

30. realitypolice says: Jun 9, 2011 2:39 PM

I think they should have CBA Negotiation Fantasy leagues. You could draft various principals in the negotiations, and get points for various things:

1 point every time they get mentioned in the media

2 points every time they get quoted in the media

3 points every time they put their foot in their mouth with….

1 bonus point every time PFT posts a rant about whatever they said to put their foot in their mouth

+ 1 more bonus point for every 10 times they get cursed out by a commenter on PFT

The consensus #1 in most leagues would probably be Demo Smith, followed by Pash, Kessler, Goodell, et. al.

There would probably even be random players selected just on the sheer potential that they will say something stupid about the negotiations.

The last pick in most drafts would probably be that college kid who somehow got duped into joining the lawsuit.

31. bangyourhead4 says: Jun 9, 2011 2:52 PM

Maybe just maybe it’s a hint of good things to come, or just nothing at all.

32. jamalsagod says: Jun 9, 2011 3:09 PM

This would seemt o have been fairly toungue-in-cheek. I will never ceased to be amazed by the amount of backlash on some of this stuff.

33. kevinfromphilly says: Jun 9, 2011 3:15 PM

Who’m I supposed to draft, the grounds crew? They’re the only ones absolutely certain to be working week 1.

34. laeaglefan says: Jun 9, 2011 3:18 PM

“Do you really want the NFL to wait until a settlement has been reached to release the schedule, make rule changes, and send out fantasy football invitations?”

Sure, why not? Is fantasy football more important than free agency, trades, contract negotiations and OTA’s? If they’re pretending that the world of the NFL is on hold, why shouldn’t that apply to ALL facets of the NFL….not just the ones that Goodell thinks will piss off the players the most?

35. benacci says: Jun 9, 2011 3:34 PM

I waiting to join so I can get curtis painter on my team!

36. readmywork says: Jun 9, 2011 3:54 PM

There is no reason at all to hold back invitations to join leagues. CBS, Yahoo, ESPN, they all have done it. It makes no sense at all for the NFL to hold back on promoting their game as well

37. thephantomstranger says: Jun 9, 2011 4:05 PM

laeaglefan says:
    Jun 9, 2011 3:18 PM

_______________

Well, I think the stadium operators would be interested in knowing the schedule in advance of when the games will be played. The more stuff you do ahead of time, the less chaos there will be when/if things get settled.

38. eagleman11 says: Jun 9, 2011 5:27 PM

booo to the NFL they have ruined my summer, they have tainted the game with all these money hungry antics. I was planning on buying tickets to at leat 5 eagle games this year….you can cancel that Bull…I refuse to give them anymore money… FANS MUST BOYCOTT TO MAKE THEIR VOICE HEARD!!

39. eagleman11 says: Jun 9, 2011 5:30 PM

Sorry about the spelling at “least” …I am a little upset…….

40. readmywork says: Jun 9, 2011 5:59 PM

Boycotting fantasy football is not going to do a thing toward making the CBA be resolved any sooner. Might as well have some fun with mock drafts and gearing up for the fantasy season when the everything is settled

41. lance19 says: Jun 9, 2011 7:40 PM

Not a huge fan of puns, but
    “razed our game?” was pretty good