Dolphins will add veteran QB, regardless of Tyler Thigpen

Bears' Urlacher sacks Dolphins' Thigpen during fourth quarter NFL football action in Miami AP

The Miami Dolphins are looking for someone to compete with Chad Henne for the team’s starting quarterback job.  Tyler Thigpen is not that guy.

G.M. Jeff Ireland said Thursday that re-signing Thigpen is an option, especially if Thigpen is a restricted free agent.  But Ireland made it clear they will add another veteran even if they bring back Thigpen, according to Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Thigpen has enjoyed some decent moments in his career, but struggled badly in a shutout loss to the Bears last year. It would make sense for Thigpen to have a reunion with Chan Gailey in Buffalo.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
22 Responses to “Dolphins will add veteran QB, regardless of Tyler Thigpen”
  1. dblockdedicated says: Jun 10, 2011 2:25 PM

Yea it would make perfect sense to reunite with Gailey in Kansas City! Great Call Rosenthal!!

….except Chan Gailey is the Buffalo Bills head coach now.

2. david7590 says: Jun 10, 2011 2:28 PM

Chan Gailey Todd Haley whats the difference?

3. trbowman says: Jun 10, 2011 2:37 PM

They should go after Vince Young. Fresh start for him. I think they contend for the playoffs this year with Vince Young.

4. esmith59 says: Jun 10, 2011 2:39 PM

Lol. This is going to get ugly.

Go Bills

5. profile1968 says: Jun 10, 2011 2:42 PM

can we say donavon ncnabb

6. shaggytoodle says: Jun 10, 2011 2:47 PM

Jun 10, 2011 2:28 PM
    Chan Gailey Todd Haley whats the difference?

——-

well last season the difference was 6 wins and a trip to the post season.

7. jackfnburton says: Jun 10, 2011 3:07 PM

Poor Tyler Thigpen. This is just one MORE thing happening in the NFL regardless of him.

8. schmitty2 says: Jun 10, 2011 3:10 PM

Dan Marino?

9. trbowman says: Jun 10, 2011 3:35 PM

Oh, and Thigpen is still better than Henne.

VY > both of them

10. FinFan68 says: Jun 10, 2011 3:59 PM

Many fans want Young, McNabb, Kolb, Orton, Hassleback, or Palmer. I would prefer none of the above. Thigpen is not the answer. The Dolphins need a capable back-up that could moderately press for the starting job but more likely fill in only if Henne falters badly or is injured. Some of the QBs listed are overrated and would likely cause a political QB controversy rather than a talent one. Henne has regressed but is not yet determined to be ineffective. My choice for a veteran would be Rex Grossman. He has similar turnover issues as Henne but Grossman is not afraid to throw downfield which is something that Henne balked at. He would offer enough competition for Henne to show a legit improvement or lose the starting job. I realize I am in the minority on this one but the rest of the potential candidates could be volatile.

11. capslockkey says: Jun 10, 2011 4:05 PM

Thigpen sucks. Only reason he looked “passable” at times in KC was because of the gimmick “Arrowspread” offense they used that year. Put that guy under center and he’s the most inaccurate QB I’ve ever seen.

12. dpants5 says: Jun 10, 2011 4:08 PM

That’s what I was saying. Gailey hasn’t coached in KC since ’08. A lot of Bills fans think, though, that because Thigpen and Gailey have a history that Thigpen would be a good fit behind Fitzpatrick. That might be true but I just feel like that organization will continue to try to get by with subpar players at the skill positions.

13. brooklynbully says: Jun 10, 2011 4:35 PM

You guys are funny iam cracking up .what about David garrard

14. lennydpocketqb says: Jun 10, 2011 4:51 PM

Players go to Buffalo for two reasons.

1) They were drafted and haven choice.

2) Because they have no other option.

15. britishraven says: Jun 10, 2011 5:36 PM

If anyone thinks Rex Grossman is the answer then they might need reminding of some of the horror performances he put up whilst playing for Chicago in their SB year. I’m sure I remember 2 ratings below 10, one possibly was zero

16. backinblack67 says: Jun 10, 2011 5:40 PM

1-800-McNabb…wanna bet?

17. tommynatorii says: Jun 10, 2011 6:00 PM

I’d rather have no one. Kepp him in for the year, and draft 1st round next year if he can’t cut it….again.

18. ndirishfan1 says: Jun 10, 2011 6:18 PM

Pat White is available and this time they won’t have to waste a 2nd rounder!

19. jpmelon says: Jun 10, 2011 6:55 PM

@finfan68

I think Henne has a lot of potential….I think Kolb is overpriced and not proven, VY has mental issues, Hasselbeck is past his prime, McNaab is past his prime, & Palmer is not a team player (that city loved him).

Orton would be a smart pickup. I think he would be the best for the dolphins, but I think he’s better than Henne and would take the starting job.

20. FinFan68 says: Jun 10, 2011 7:13 PM

@jpmelon I agree but Orton woulod likely cost another pick (3 guesses which round)

@britishraven I believe you are correct in that he had a couple of the worst games that year but he also had a few of the best performances as well hence “good Rex; bad Rex”. I am not saying he is the franchise QB answer; only that he might be a better option than the others i mentioned

21. drumzan says: Jun 10, 2011 10:23 PM

My two choices would be Bulger or Leinart. I know I know, I’m crazy. But they would both be on the “cheaper” side with a lot of upside and little risk because there would be a lot less political pressure to start these guys over the other more popular free agent QB’s. Bulger is apparently in really good shape. He has been surrounded by a bad team for years and plagued with injuries. He’ll be effective with Miami as a pocket passer because they have a lot of weapons to surround him. If he doesn’t beat out Henne, he would be an excellent mentor as he has learned from Kurt Warner. Leinart also learned from Warner. I truly believe he didn’t get a fair chance in Arizona. It was more of a personality clash with Whisenhunt rather than talent. If you don’t believe how good Leinart is, watch his game against the streaking Titans on Nov 30, 2009. He had less than a week to prepare and looked like he played the entire year. If Henne falters, I think Leinart would be a great option. He’s young and still has a great career ahead of him as long as he gets rid of his partying lifestyle. And I think that’s gone now because he knows he has to win teams over with his talent and commitment after being a 3rd stringer for the entire year. Maybe I’m wrong, but I watch every single minute of every Dolphins game and am still convinced they’ll be a contender with Henne at the helm and don’t need to spend big money on another QB. They should be spending their bigger dollars on a free safety who creates turnovers.

22. finsfansam says: Jun 14, 2011 5:49 PM

to the commment on kyle ordan is he goanna work with brandon marshall? i think we should go with Carson Palmer. hes a proven qb with a cheaper price tag he wont play if hedoesent leave. plus the peices are in place for him to really sucseed here and he holds on to the football so i say go with carson