Plaxico Burress says he’s a better pass catcher after prison

Plaxico Burress AP

The way Plaxico Burress figures it, he’s a better receiver now than he was before he went to prison. After all, the degree of difficulty catching passes behind bars was higher.

“There weren’t a lot of guys throwing perfect spirals in there. I had to work to catch those balls,” Burress said with a laugh to Aditi Kinkhabwala of the Wall St. Journal in his first post-prison interview.

Burress doesn’t break a lot of new ground in the conversation, saying that he’s listening to Michael Vick’s advice to focus on his family first now that he’s a free man.  Vick and Burress spoke during the week, but it sounds like Burress has spent most of his time trying to corral his 18-month old daughter Giovanna, who was born while Burress was in prison.

Asked about his future, Burress said “you never know” whether he could return to New York.  He just wants to get a playbook from some team and get back to work soon.

“I know what I’m capable of,” the soon-to-be 34-year-old said. “All I need to say to teams is ‘don’t judge my future by my past.’ Just let me come out and play football.”

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Plaxico Burress says he’s a better pass catcher after prison”
  1. vickistrash says: Jun 10, 2011 11:37 AM

Ok so whats the over/under on drop the soap jokes in this thread? I say over 20!

2. 305phinphan says: Jun 10, 2011 11:37 AM

hmmmm…… that’s nasty!

3. manderson367 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:40 AM

LOL, I’m not touching that.

4. hobartbaker says: Jun 10, 2011 11:44 AM

No one going to shackle Plax now.

5. pixelito says: Jun 10, 2011 11:45 AM

Advice from Michael Vick….

6. hrmlss says: Jun 10, 2011 11:46 AM

ok, I’ll bite. Who was making passes at him…..

7. hobartbaker says: Jun 10, 2011 11:48 AM

N.Y. papers are warming up the “Burress handcuffed on Revis Island” headline.

8. narutofan10 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:51 AM

i am glad i am not the only one who busted out laughing the second they saw this headline

9. uncommon1 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:53 AM

I was concerned that he would add weight in prison and come out as a Tight End. Now that I hear he has been catching passes in prison, I am sure he is a capable Wide Receiver.

10. jakek2 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:56 AM

All seriousness…he should be angling to return to NYG. He’s not young and it takes time to build up rapport with a new QB. You never forget how to ride a bike so he should want to play with Eli.

11. karlpilkington says: Jun 10, 2011 11:59 AM

Agreed, I mean there is just so many ways that headline could go… I will leave it to the professionals.

12. elisnopunkbitch says: Jun 10, 2011 12:00 PM

Alright, you guys set this up, now this is coming from someone who is a Plex fan, and fully believes the Giants need him more than he needs them, and that Plex not going to the Giants coupled with him going to the Eagles would be disatrous to the Giants, and will cost the G-Men AT LEAST 2 games a year

13. greenbaypackerbacker says: Jun 10, 2011 12:12 PM

hrmlss says: Jun 10, 2011 11:46 AM

ok, I’ll bite. Who was making passes at him…..

—————————————————-

Bernie Madoff is making the passes. Think of the reality TV stuff they could call it…. “A WEEKEND AT BERNIES”

14. willycents says: Jun 10, 2011 12:20 PM

In my analysis of the Mike Vick situation, I see that he gained significantly in the self-discipline area during his prison stint. That ;made him a much better player on the field. Perhaps, that is the same thing that Plaxico learned; that he is not as “important” as he thought he was.
    In both cases, I suspect that the diminished ego from being in prison will make, and has made, a significant improvement in their play. Humility tends to make better players.

15. lacharger2112 says: Jun 10, 2011 12:23 PM

So his one hour a day “out in the yard” made his pass catching abilities better?
    Maybe he will be better able to catch the passes thrown behind him this season.

16. berniemadoffsides says: Jun 10, 2011 12:26 PM

Thumbs up (agree) vs. Thumbs down (disagree):

Rosenhaus arranges for the media to watch Plax catch balls from a current NFL QB within the next few weeks.

17. tilafoo says: Jun 10, 2011 12:34 PM

“After all, the degree of difficulty catching passes behind bars was higher.”

18. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 10, 2011 1:10 PM

i’m surprised there aren’t more nasty jokes here. hahaha

19. burntorangehorn says: Jun 10, 2011 1:20 PM

Some headlines just write themselves, don’t they?

This one almost approaches Paris Hilton’s post-DUI explanation: “I just had to have some In-N-Out.”

20. eaglesnoles05 says: Jun 10, 2011 1:21 PM

@ravensfan4life52- I made a great one, but it got removed for some reason? No way I haven’t seen worse on these boards, but it was the best one so far on this thread, no doubt. but oh well, I respect YOU, pft censors…

21. lucky5934 says: Jun 10, 2011 1:28 PM

They keep deleting them. Apparently, PFT has standards when others write things they don’t agree with, but they can write/insinuate whatever they like. Perks of running your own website. But honestly, what kind of responses did they think they would get with a headline like that?

22. tilafoo says: Jun 10, 2011 1:31 PM

Haha touche’ I’m impressed Mike.

23. lucky5934 says: Jun 10, 2011 1:32 PM

They even deleted a comment about a guy asking if anyone else had laughed out loud as hard as he had when he read the headline. I mean really? What is 1984 or something?

24. jamalsagod says: Jun 10, 2011 2:09 PM

Oh come on, that has a meaning apart from what your dirty minds invoked.

Catching passes in prison would be a pain in the backside. The facilities aren’t adequate and the QBs aren’t NFL caliber. This is, simply, a true statement.

25. joe6606 says: Jun 10, 2011 2:23 PM

“Catching passes in prison would be a pain in the backside.”
    ————————————–
    /salute

you sir are the winner of the not (yet) deleted jokes

26. skins3yearplan says: Jun 10, 2011 2:27 PM

Honestly, I think making a comeback at the WR position might be harder than doing it at the QB position, especially for someone who got shot in the leg and was off for 2 years, not to mention he’s almost 34. If Plex pulls this off I’ll have mad respect even though I am a Skins fan.

27. jimboonie says: Jun 10, 2011 2:41 PM

This is how you play football in prison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5TwKApFC4

28. duanethomas says: Jun 10, 2011 3:47 PM

Violated the non-existence terms of service…again.

29. greenbaypackerbacker says: Jun 10, 2011 3:57 PM

I wonder if he is good at catching when the pass is behind him…My guess is a majority of the prison balls weren’t always thrown in front.

30. thenightmancometh says: Jun 10, 2011 4:10 PM

He probably should have kept his mouth shut. He really shot himself in leg with that line.

31. Dusty Grey says: Jun 10, 2011 4:23 PM

Alright everyone, no need to get testy. Obviously not everyone agrees, but some people look like their stack is about to blow. Jobs are hard to come by in this league, so I am sure that there ar
    e rookies on every team hoping they do go a different direction. Plaxico has to stay on the straight and narrow, which may mean staying at home for a while sitting on his butt. Buddies of mine seem to think he can, but I’m still convinced he’s doing this dog and pony show to feed his own ego and save himself a bit of glory.

Whole teams have made it clear they aren’t interested, despite his potential for catching fire and getting hot. Carl Smith (of the Seahawks) stated so himself; “we aren’t looking past character, especially when it comes to outside football issues or players who are considered ‘dirty.’” Sanchez (Mark) is a perfect example of a player who has an attitude, but isn’t looking to cause a ruckus or garner any power. Bottom feeding teams may feel different, but most teams are gun shy, prompting their FO’s to be a little bit too anal.

Sex and drugs have always been a part of the game, but this new criminal element is a black eye to a league already struggling with a poor public image (Goodell himself has become a real dick). In a box lunch world, the NFL is the tossed salad.

32. dirtdawg55 says: Jun 10, 2011 5:03 PM

Jamalsagod says “catching passes in prison would be a pain in the backside”.

Okay, that is even funnier then the headline.

33. benh999 says: Jun 10, 2011 7:04 PM

I hope the receiving skills he picked up in prison aren’t applicable to the NFL.

34. donttouchthedirtypenny says: Jun 10, 2011 7:31 PM

Apparently he did a lot of catching in prison.

35. eaglesnoles05 says: Jun 10, 2011 9:48 PM

Dusty Grey – I’m sure 2 thumbsup and 2 thumbsdown is not exactly what you were lookin’ for with that masterpiece of rhetoric, lol.

36. axespray says: Jun 10, 2011 11:15 PM

I wish I could tell you that ole’ Plaxico Burress fought the good fight and that the sisters left him alone, but prison is no fairy tale.
    or….
    “yo’ foo’, what really is catching?
    (other philsophicol stuff is said)…Maybe,
    it’s in yo’ mind!”
    – wheel chair guy.
    (oz theme)

37. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 11, 2011 12:44 AM

@axespray

Ooh, a Shawshank reference! Very well done sir.