Woodley: Ravens won’t make Super Bowl in “this lifetime”

NFL Super Bowl Football AP

If the football season starts on time, the Week One tilt between the Ravens and Steelers looks like the best game on the board following the season opening matchup between the Packers and Saints.

And just in case the game wasn’t going to get hyped enough, Steelers linebacker Lamarr Woodley is here to help.

Asked on NFL Network if Joe Flacco would ever lead the Ravens to a championship, Woodley responded just how we would expect him.

“No, not at all because they have to go through one team — that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers in that AFC championship. So in order for them to get to the Super Bowl, they have to beat us, and we’re not gonna let that happen once we get that close. So that’s not gonna happen in this lifetime,” Woodley said as transcribed by Sean Leahy of USA Today.

For a while last year, it looked like the Ravens would get past the Steelers.  But a 21-7 halftime lead in Pittsburgh imploded with three third quarter turnovers.

It’s the greatest rivalry in the NFL.  It’s also one more reason we all hope the lockout is resolved before any games are missed.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Woodley: Ravens won’t make Super Bowl in “this lifetime””
  1. nabz034 says: Jun 10, 2011 10:07 AM

If Big Ben keeps going on his raping spree neither will the Steelers.

2. henrypuppyhead says: Jun 10, 2011 10:13 AM

Stupid smack really doesn’t do anything to help your team.

3. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 10, 2011 10:15 AM

The comments for this are gonna be sweet.

4. Mike Tomlin says: Jun 10, 2011 10:19 AM

LOVE this guy. Him and James are as real as it gets!!

I will be extremely dissappointed if week 1 is missed because the Steelers-Ravens rivalries are the 2 best games of the year. Both teams enter every game with a level playing field and I would expect Suggs or Ray Lewis to say the same thing if he was in Woodleys position. Steelers have a lot of respect for the Ravens, as do the intellegant fans, and I cant wait to see what happens!

I was at the PO game last season and I can tell you one thing, not many fans were very confident during halftime. Ravens killed the Steelers that first half but the Steelers made enough plays to come back and win, just like they always seem to do. What a great matchup!

5. Southpaw says: Jun 10, 2011 10:23 AM

Thank you for the early bulletin board material! Nothing like getting your rival team fired up during a lockout (when you could be banking on them taking an extended vacation)

6. sportsinhd says: Jun 10, 2011 10:25 AM

Not usually a good idea to bait the other team like that, but that’s what makes this rivalry so great. Both teams run their mouths, and both teams leave it all out on the field.

7. deshanko says: Jun 10, 2011 10:25 AM

The truth hurts.

8. Grulks says: Jun 10, 2011 10:27 AM

There is a big difference between trying to motivate your team/talk your team up, and bashing the other team. Lamarr better hope that the lockout goes on for a long time, bc the Ravens sure don’t need any extra motivation to pound the Steelers after that divisional playoff game.

And just for the record, I’m not a fan of either team, so it’s not like I have a dog in this fight.

9. steelerlady43 says: Jun 10, 2011 10:30 AM

nyjalleffingday says:
    Jun 10, 2011 10:15 AM
    The comments for this are gonna be sweet.

—————————————
    This coming from a J-E-T-S…fan!!!
    hahahahahahahahahaa!

10. citizenstrange says: Jun 10, 2011 10:31 AM

The AFCCG started out like the Super Bowl for the Steelers with Roethlisberger doing everything he possibly could to lose it – two interceptions with a fumble returned for a touchdown – but the Steeler defense dug him out with three third quarter turnovers.

11. steelerlady43 says: Jun 10, 2011 10:35 AM

I will say this…it’s one of my favorite games as a Steelers fan because there is no other game played the entire season where 2 teams play with everything they have….blood, guts and glory. While I hate and respect the Ravens in the very same breath…I have to be honest i’m a nervous wreck every time we play them…

I do have to say I have a new found respect for Ray Lewis after all he’s done for that poor boy that lost his family when his mother drove into the Hudson river with his siblings and lost them all..Ray has embraced that poor boy…Props to him there!

12. citizenstrange says: Jun 10, 2011 10:36 AM

Add to previous: WHOOPS! My mistake. Roethlisberger had zero interceptions in the AFCCG. Sorry about that.

13. dickroy says: Jun 10, 2011 10:43 AM

The first comment on this page is not worth responding to, but I will anyway.
    This is getting so old. To talk about a raping spree, when none was even commited is foolish.

I do believe Woodley’s words are true, but smack only serves to fire up the other team.

14. qj1984 says: Jun 10, 2011 10:45 AM

Lamar the last time a Steeler trash talked the Ravens he ended up with a broken shoulder and missing his entire rookie season. I wouldnt make an already violent game anymore violent than it has to be. The Ravens have struggled to close the Steelers out lately but they still get very physical and knock you guys on your asses every chance they get. Now your a target.

15. FoozieGrooler says: Jun 10, 2011 10:45 AM

Hey, when you’re right, you’re right.

16. waynefontes says: Jun 10, 2011 10:49 AM

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl in our lifetime as the Ravens QB, hell Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl so who knows what the future holds….

That being said, Steelers vs Ravens is the best rivalry in the NFL. Although it’s about time the Ravens actually won one when it matters.

Starting to remind me of Peyton Manning vs the Gators in the 90s.

17. swutter says: Jun 10, 2011 10:50 AM

I’m a die hard Ravens fan, purple and black all day.

After the playoff loss last season I’ve decided that you can’t call this a rivalry anymore. Baltimore needs to win a game before it’s a rivalry. Until Flacco makes that jump (if he ever does) it isn’t a rivalry.

Nothing is more painful then admitting this.

18. kevo126 says: Jun 10, 2011 10:50 AM

im pretty sure the ravens have already won a super bowl “in this lifetime”…

19. darthvader89 says: Jun 10, 2011 10:51 AM

and I’ll bet before this year he also would’ve said the steelers would never lose in a SB because they were so close and they just wouldn’t let that happen at that point. You lose in the superbowl you shouldn’t come back making guarantees about what you’ll never let happen.

20. dbellina says: Jun 10, 2011 10:55 AM

I think the greatest rival in the NFL now is the owners and the players.

21. folkcrusader says: Jun 10, 2011 10:55 AM

The only thing that stank worse then the Steelers in the first half was the Ravens in the second half. It wasn’t a great game, both teams played like crap.

An AFC team won’t win the Superbowl for many many more years, the time of the super D is over.

22. rc33 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:01 AM

This has been an outstanding rivalry, though Pgh. has certainly had the upper hand.
    I don’t know; the Ravens have a Super Bowl win but it was been a decade and most importantly, the Steelers seem to clearly have the psychological advantage in these match ups. Flacco just doesn’t come up big when it counts against Pittsburgh.
    It seems Tom Brady is the only one in the league that does.

23. jw731 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:04 AM

Rashard Mendenhall just tweeted he doesn’t believe Baltimore is on the map…..He can’t comprehend……Go figure……and BTW way not a fan of either team, but this will fire em up til the next unemployment check arrives……….In both cities

24. chochav says: Jun 10, 2011 11:09 AM

Am I the only one who feels this is a bit out of context?

25. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:10 AM

even more amusing than this is Woodley’s top 10 LB list.

26. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:15 AM

but hey at least he’s not whining like a baby about how the nfl is targeting the steelers with new rules.

27. mcconnellrules says: Jun 10, 2011 11:16 AM

Nice try, but the Greatest rivalry in the NFL is Redskins Cowboys

28. fancyleague says: Jun 10, 2011 11:18 AM

It would be a facepalm moment from Woodley, if it weren’t so darn true. The Ravens and Joe Flaccid can’t get by the Steelers.

29. Deb says: Jun 10, 2011 11:19 AM

I’m not a fan of trash talk. Would rather players did their talking on the field. But in this case, I’m pleased Woodley is making very clear that when free agency finally starts, he’s not going anywhere. Was sure the Rooneys had told him to sit tight last year and they’d make it worth his while. Glad he listened. :)

30. packerrube13 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:26 AM

rc33 says:
    Jun 10, 2011 11:01 AM
    It seems Tom Brady is the only one in the league that does.
    ————————————————

Aaron Rodgers?

31. ccoolahan14 says: Jun 10, 2011 11:31 AM

NFL Refs statement: “We won’t allow the Ravens to make another Super Bowl in this lifetime….especially if they’re playing our favorite team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

Oh, and if anyone is wondering if Woodley is completely delusional, he thinks that he is the fourth best LB in the league, James Farrior is the sixth, and Larry Foote is the tenth. No I am not making this up.

32. a13phinfan says: Jun 10, 2011 11:46 AM

What is he 11? Last time I checked the Ravens have won a superbowl is his lifetime.

33. trickbunny says: Jun 10, 2011 11:51 AM

Does someone on the Steelers have to open their mouths and say something stupid *every* day?

It’s a team filled with people who are just *compelled* to stick their feet in their mouths. Weird.

34. cornellsteelers says: Jun 10, 2011 11:56 AM

Actually, I’m not quite as confident as LaMarr. If the Ravens ever get a QB, they could certainly get past us in the payoffs.

35. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 10, 2011 12:02 PM

@steelerlady

…What are you even talking about? OH RIGHT, I forgot Jets fans can’t appreciate the fanbases of 2 rival teams going at each others throats.

Would any Patriots/Dolphins/Bills fans like to come skipping through fields of roses with me? I’ll prepare a splendid lunch as well. Pfft.

36. bubbabart says: Jun 10, 2011 12:05 PM

37. CKL says: Jun 10, 2011 12:10 PM

chochav says:
    Jun 10, 2011 11:09 AM
    Am I the only one who feels this is a bit out of context?
    _________________________________
    It isn’t, I watched the segment. Dude loves to talk crap. Meh. Most every team has at least one guy who never shuts up though. I dislike that type of player even if they are on the team I root for but I think I’m in the minority. The only thing I dislike more than loudmouth braggarts who love the sound of their own verbal diarrhea is when my team (Pats) loses to a team full of ‘em like they did in Jan.

38. dickroy says: Jun 10, 2011 12:44 PM

The Steelers/Ravens rivalry is by far the best, maybe ever. The Steelers have had great rivalries over the years with the Raiders, Browns, Cowboys, and Patriots. The Cowboys and Redskins games were good, but they were tap dances compared to the way Pittsburgh and Baltimore go after each other.

39. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 10, 2011 12:44 PM

@nyjalleffingday

I bet you’re enjoying this a lot. i know i would be if i were you. knowing two of the teams in your way in the AFC are gonna go at it even harder than normal. hahaha the jets will be lookin pretty good next year once you guys resign Holmes. i guess you can thank the steelers for that. lucky s.o.b.s lol

40. supashug says: Jun 10, 2011 12:47 PM

what Superbowl, enjoy your couch watching college like the rest of us

41. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 10, 2011 12:58 PM

all in all I respect Woodley as a player, even though i disagree with a lot of what he says (like this and his top 10 LB list for instance). I respect the Steelers more than any other team in the NFL, besides the Ravens of course, and getting past them in the regular season and the playoffs will be a big challenge for the Ravens, more specifically Flacco. but the Ravens and Flacco are improving year to year and getting closer to being able to get past the Steelers. I think Woodley is wrong and I think if Flacco improves from last year, Torrey and Jimmy Smith and Tandon Doss all turn out to be as good as they are projected, and our O-line gets healthy then i think we’ll get past the Steelers either this year or next and make it to the Super Bowl.

42. sfsaintsfan says: Jun 10, 2011 1:10 PM

To all concerned:

Please end this “Lock Out”, “De-certification Sham”, “Work Stoppage”, “Greedy…..Owners vs Greedy Players…Whatever” and get back to some football.

The dance has gone on long enough, training camps should be just around the corner.

Are you ready for some football?

I know I am.

43. Deb says: Jun 10, 2011 1:14 PM

@packerrube13 …

Rodgers is an excellent QB and I’m not trying to diss him, but … no. Your defense was the killer in XLV. Given the plays they made, the score shouldn’t have been that close and shouldn’t have come down to the final series. If I’d been voting, Matthews would have been the MVP, not Rodgers. Brady is still our most lethal nemesis in my book.

And people need to remember that if big-money receivers like Boldin and Housh hadn’t dropped on-the-numbers passes, the Ravens would have beaten us. Flacco takes a lot of blame for the sloppiness around him.

44. dspyank2k11 says: Jun 10, 2011 1:27 PM

Green Bay

45. nyjalleffingday says: Jun 10, 2011 1:28 PM

@ravensfan4life52

I love the AFC rivalries, they’re so nasty and passionate! And I don’t know man, you guys beat up the Steelers even though you lost and they still quite literally ran through us the next week. I was rooting for you guys though, I figured we’d play you harder because of Rex, Bart and such. Also, Holmes is a nice addition, but they still ended our season so who got the last laugh?

@CKL

So, about that lunch…

46. mistrezzrachael says: Jun 10, 2011 1:43 PM

Woodley BELONGS on the jets…or playing beside Joey Porter who never made a run tackle in his life.

That was smart Lamar…good luck negociating a big salary when you just publicized you’re not going anywhere…Enjoy the deep hometeam discount you give the Rooney’s

47. mcconnellrules says: Jun 10, 2011 1:54 PM

“The Steelers/Ravens rivalry is by far the best, maybe ever. The Steelers have had great rivalries over the years with the Raiders, Browns, Cowboys, and Patriots. The Cowboys and Redskins games were good, but they were tap dances compared to the way Pittsburgh and Baltimore go after each other”

Obviously your biased to your team, the Steelers. Yes, the games the ravens steelers played have been close defensive games and it is a GOOD rivalry, but that does not make a dynasty(steelers) and team barely even 15 years old the greatest rivalary in the NFL. The Redskins and Cowboys have always hated each other (40+ years) and is regarded as one of the greatest rivalrys in all of sports.

48. fancyleague says: Jun 10, 2011 2:04 PM

bubbabart says: Get used to this Stool and Rat fans…there’s a new Sheriff in town…his name is Colt McCoy.

———————————————

Winner: Funniest Post in History

49. jackfnburton says: Jun 10, 2011 2:12 PM

Steelers-Ravens. Doesn’t get better than that, does it? You can’t say they don’t back up that smack talk because just about every game between these two is a freaking BRAWL.

I love it. Can’t wait to see them go at it again. Someday.

Stupid lockout.

50. golonger says: Jun 10, 2011 2:15 PM

Sorry mcconnellrules…..the Skins/Cowboys USED to be a great rivalry….no longer sorry. Nobody cares when they play anymore……..especially Redskin fans………..a decade of 2 average teams playing each other does not a great rivalry make!!!!!

51. tk1966 says: Jun 10, 2011 2:45 PM

What do you expect him to say? “Um, sure, they’ll make it. Even though they are in our division and that means they’ll have beaten us to get there” I’d expect any player to say that about any other team in their own division. Would Ray Lewis have said otherwise when asked about the Steelers? Would Clay Mathews say otherwise when asked about the Bears? Another non-story by PFT!

52. beast2thecore says: Jun 10, 2011 2:52 PM

bubbabart, If your Colt McCoy doesn’t learn how to avoid the rush, Woodley and Harrison are going to eat him alive like they did in the last game they played.

53. mcconnellrules says: Jun 10, 2011 3:08 PM

Golonger.. I am a die hard Redskins fan hahaha. I look forward to every game as do most of our loyal fan base.

HAIL!

54. theallegedone says: Jun 10, 2011 3:12 PM

“No, not at all because they have to go through one team”? Hmmm. The Green Bay Packers didn’t have much trouble, don’t see why the Ravens would.

55. stairwayto7 says: Jun 10, 2011 3:19 PM

The Ravens have not seen the Super Bowl in 10 years so the Steelers are doing their job as far as I know! He speaks the truth!!!

56. steelerlady43 says: Jun 10, 2011 4:13 PM

bubbabart says:
    Jun 10, 2011 12:05 PM
    ——————————————-

hahahahaha! OMG I almost fell off my chair laughing with this one!!!

57. mswravens says: Jun 10, 2011 4:24 PM

The Colt McCoy post was hilarious – the only one on this thread that made me laugh out loud. Nice to know that someone who obviously knows nothing about football takes the time to read this board & post. Colt McCoy? Ha! What a joke. Just saying his name makes me laugh.

@mcconnellrules – wish you hadn’t admitted you were a Skins fan before I predicted it…anyone from the Balt-Wash area knows that only a Skins fan could post something as stupid as you. Typical Washingtonian…thinks they are the center of the universe even though they’ve been a laughingstock for years. Cowboys fans are at least smart enough to know that the Giants & Iggles present more of a challenge than that piss poor franchise in DC that, outside the Joe Gibbs era, has been nothing but losers from their inception to the present day! (yes, I know they went to & lost a SB before Joe Gibbs).

@Deb – nice post!

Honestly, who cares about this topic? I agree with the poster who said something like: “what would you expect him to say?” Any player on either team is likely to bad mouth the other. These two teams have a tremendous amount of respect & hatred for each other, it carries over to the stands & into the cities, and onto the field where they play some awesome football games that we citizens of Bmore & the Burgh get to embrace as our own & man is it fun. I love walking up to women who drive cars with Steeler stickers on ‘em and say “you know, you were a lot more attractive before I saw that you were a Steelers fan!”

Anyway – end this GD work stoppage & let’s get ready for some football!

58. miselism says: Jun 10, 2011 4:27 PM

A Steeler player running off their mouth again. I haven’t taken any of their players seriously since Mendenhall said we Americans treated Bin Laden unfairly.

59. valman61 says: Jun 10, 2011 7:03 PM

McConnell I laughed out loud when I read that. Redskins cowboys lmao. What is it called the battle of the over rated teams who can’t win playoffs games? The redskins only real rival is the redskins. Find a qb this decade and maybe you’ll have something. I can pretty much say the same thing for the cowboys. Only team who has anything on me in my division is the eagles, and we still have three shiny trophies they still lack.

60. ravensfan4life52 says: Jun 11, 2011 12:23 AM

@mcconnell

I’m sorry but it’s hard to consider the Redskins Cowboys rivalry great when both teams suck. yeah years ago it was a great rivalry, but not so much any more. and i would put the Ravens Steelers and Bears Packers ahead of Skins and Boys.

61. luckylosers says: Jun 11, 2011 2:14 PM

Tough talk prediction: Ravens in the
    Super Bowl this year (if there is one). Steelers 8-8.

62. axespray says: Jun 12, 2011 10:04 PM

Deb says:
    @packerrube13 …
    “Rodgers is an excellent QB and I’m not trying to diss him, but … no. Your defense was the killer in XLV.”

So 67 points, around 700 plus passing yards, 6 passing TDs(1 rushingTD) in two games against pittsburgh and he’s not a reason we beat a good steeler’s team in a Big Game?

There’s probably another 60 or so yards off the board due to his wr’s dropping passes.

63. gregjennings85 says: Jun 13, 2011 12:46 PM

Trust me, the Steelers talk a good game, but they can be beaten just like any other NFL team*.

* – Even in the Super Bowl.

64. gregjennings85 says: Jun 13, 2011 12:48 PM

Deb:

I think your offense is the new reason you guys made the run you did. Conversely, your defense couldn’t stop the Packers in our last meeting and the same was true of our battle in Dallas. For a team that likes to blitz as much as you do, your CBs leave a lot to be desired.

65. goawayeverybody says: Jun 14, 2011 3:45 AM

I completely agree with what Woodley is saying because

A. John Harbaugh is kind of a bad coach.
    B. Joe Flacco is not an elite quarterback.
    C. The refs despise the Ravens.

Need I say more?

66. goawayeverybody says: Jun 14, 2011 3:49 AM

Mike Tomlin: of course you were at the PO game last year, you’re Mike Tomlin!

67. hrmlss says: Jun 15, 2011 3:41 PM

In related News, Ray Lewis has issued a hit on Woodley, to end “This Lifetime.”

68. walkinginthewasteland says: Jun 20, 2011 12:25 PM

Mike Tomlin says: Jun 10, 2011 10:19 AM

_______

That wasn’t what I saw, I saw the Steelers making stupid errors. I saw a blow to the head not called on the fumble that became a TD. Yes, the Raven D made plays and the Raven O converted. However, the Raven O was not moving the ball against the Steeler D.

69. walkinginthewasteland says: Jun 20, 2011 12:27 PM

Southpaw says:

_______________

Flacco better pray for motivation like that, or Ben to be out, because Flacco cant beat Ben, and he can barely control his own bowels when he plays the Steelers in general.

70. walkinginthewasteland says: Jun 20, 2011 12:32 PM

bubbabart says: Jun 10, 2011 12:05 PM

____________________

To bad that sheriff has to bring empty guns to the gunfight.

71. thebigtexas says: Feb 19, 2013 5:35 PM

Is it still this lifetime? Because I’m pretty sure Joe Flacco and the Ravens won the Super Bowl this year.