Harvin says he plans to work out with Ponder soon

Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder has been hoping to work out with some of his veteran teammates in Florida.  To date, it hasn’t happened.

Ponder recently told Paul Allen of KFAN that the rookie quarterback and his veteran pass-catchers will be getting together “some time soon,” possibly in Minnesota.

Even more recently, Harvin said that he’ll be working out with Ponder soon.  But it doesn’t exactly seem like a major priority for Harvin.

“We texted each other a few times,” Harvin told KELO-TV, via Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “We hope to get together in the near future.  So, we’ll see what happens with this lockout.  But I think if [a resolution] doesn’t happen here pretty soon, I think we will get together.”

Pelissero writes that Harvin didn’t show up in Florida to work out with Ponder because Harvin supposedly lost his cell phone.  (Yes, it sounds flimsy, but Harvin could have simply said he had a migraine.)  No other veterans showed either, based on what Pelissero describes as a “variety of half-baked reasons.”

22 responses to “Harvin says he plans to work out with Ponder soon

1. I lose my cell phone whenever I want to avoid things too! On a serious note, any Vikings/NFL fans want to tell me the implications of these migranes on Harvin and what they might do to his career?

2. Greg Camarillo is a Veteran WR and did work out with Ponder….THAT is something!….and Percy didn’t lose his phone the other

3. ….and Percy didn’t lose his pone the other day when he twittered he was going down to Miami to work out with the dumbass gang-banger wannabe Plaxico Burress

4. I can’t blame Harvin, Shiancoe, Rice and Berrian for not going… I mean I really want them to start practicing with Ponder, but what happens if any of them get hurt? They’re all (except Berrian) too valuable to the team to risk getting hurt during this lock out.

As long as they’re staying in shape and keeping their heads down, I can’t really complain. If it gets to the point where we’re in the middle of July and the lock out is still in effect, then I will say they NEED to practice. But even then, that sounds to be the shut off point for the season. Mid July and early August I mean.

5. @steelerspiratesbruins: Harvin has some serious issues with his migraines. I believe he had a seizure type episode last training camp. With that said, he won ROY and is an elite receiver. You just have to understand that he is going to miss a game or two every season because of migraines.

6. Best play call by Paul Allen (other than the Favre to Lewis pass in the final seconds of the San Fran game)

“LOOK AT PERCY FLY!” — San Fran game, 2009, Harvin 101 yd kick return for a td.

7. johnsticle says:Jun 11, 2011 9:29 AM

__________________________________

So you’re telling me that veteran players shouldn’t practice because they might get hurt? Veteran players on other teams don’t seem to share that sentiment. How are they going to get “injured” catching passes without a defense? If they are really that fragile, they shouldn’t be professional football players.

8. purplereign28 says: Jun 11, 2011 11:16 AM

johnsticle says:Jun 11, 2011 9:29 AM

__________________________________

_____________________________________

The only reason I say that is because right now, none of the players are being covered by the NFL’s health plan. If any of them get hurt, they’re screwed. I’d rather Harvin, Shiancoe, Rice, Ponder, Webb etc be healthy and doing smaller workouts.

They’re working without defense, that’s true, but a lot can still go wrong. Especially with our bad luck lol.

9. Vikes fans are hoping Harvin doesn’t get any migraines and that Ponder doesn’t cause them any migraines

10. edenprairieballer says:
    Jun 11, 2011 9:45 AM
    _____________________________

I would have to disagree elite WRs tend to get over 900 receiving yards and more than 5 or 6 rec. TDs.

He could be elite if he would care to practice, but he either has migraines, loses his phone, doesn’t like Childress….

11. Just admit it. He’s going to Hattiesburg, MS because you know who will get that media spotlight itch and start making waves about un-retiring AGAIN. PFT will blow up.

12. granadafan says: Jun 11, 2011 7:04 PM

___________________________________

Oh God… here we go again…

Favre isn’t coming back, sorry to disappoint you.

13. Best play call(s) by Paul Allen (gasbag).

Viking vs Cardinals last play of the game: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

or

Vikings vs Saints: Why do you even ponder passing? This isn’t Detroit man , this is the Superbowl!

14. debthebusybody says:
    Jun 13, 2011 8:55 PM
    Best play call(s) by Paul Allen (gasbag).

or

——————–

This has become a very difficult question to answer. Before the pondering of drafting Ponder the answer would have been the loss to Arizona. I mean the brutal terror and disbelief as Allen realizes what has occured is something out of a horror flick. The TD then the onside kick then the TD pass to Poole on a play that wasn’t even called. “Just get in the end zone” is all McNown had chance to yell to his receivers after the sack. The realization that all of this occured with Green Bay up 28 at the 2 minute warning to knock the Vikings out..I mean it all came to a head. His call is horrificly scary. But now, with the drafting of Ponder, it sure makes the Saints call after having the game won damn ironic. You know every time Allen calls Ponder’s name he is going to think of the gut wrenching choke job that kept Minnesota from playing for their first World Title. They had it won and then Favre Pondered passing….