Kerry Collins interested in returning to Titans

Kerry Collins AP

Despite speculation from Titans guard Jake Scott, Kerry Collins sounds interested in possibly being a nursemaid mentor to Jake Locker.

“I think it is legitimate speculation to think the longer this thing goes, the more attractive I would be to [the Titans] because of my familiarity with everything,” Collins told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean on Saturday. “I know we have new coordinators, but I am sure a lot of terminology is going to be the same. On paper it makes sense to at least talk to me about coming back.  The longer this thing goes, the better it could work out for me.”

That doesn’t sound like a guy with many reservations about returning. Collins is staying in shape and has a relationship with coach Mike Munchak, which helps his chances.  We just wonder if the Titans want someone a little younger that could start for much of the season if Locker isn’t ready.

Collins also wants to make sure he meshes with Locker.

“I went through it with Vince [Young],” Collins said. “I would be open to it, but it would have to be the right thing. I would like to get to know Jake a little bit to make sure he’d be the type guy I’d want to help out. That won’t be the sole issue either. It is not about what kind of guy Jake is. I just have to weigh a lot of things.”

Translation: I’d like to work with a kid that listens.

“If it makes sense on both sides to do it, I’d be good for coming back,” Collins said.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Kerry Collins interested in returning to Titans”
  1. hobartbaker says: Jun 11, 2011 3:38 PM

Kerry get another 5 years as a starter there with Locker as competition.

2. gudy2shoes says: Jun 11, 2011 3:42 PM

You said there was no way in hell, collins would come back, to, in your words, not Kerry’s, be a nurse maid to Jake. Once again you have shown you know nothing. Once he meets Jake, his mind will be at ease.

3. realitypolice says: Jun 11, 2011 3:45 PM

A lot of vets like Collins are going to have a huge leg up on getting jobs this season due to fact that teams are just not going to have enough time to evaluate young players and will have little choice but to go with established veterans that know their system.

Obviously, that means the opposite is true for a lot of low round draftees and UDFAs who are much less likely to hang on because they simply are not going to have a full shot to prove themselves.

4. doe22us says: Jun 11, 2011 3:54 PM

where else would he still be rewarded handsomely to back-up compared to anywhere else. Collins situation is kinda unique he is a starter in a lot of pinch situations. Thanks Vince Young

5. realitypolice says: Jun 11, 2011 4:14 PM

gudy2shoes says:
    Jun 11, 2011 3:42 PM
    ================

I’m not one to defend PFT, but that’s unfair. The nursemaid line was a direct quote from Jake Scott and PFT reported it as such. If you reread the post, which is linked to in this story, you’ll see that.

If you are going to attack someone, at least have your facts straight.

6. eaglesfootballfan says: Jun 11, 2011 4:25 PM

Kerry Collins is old and needs to retire. The Titans need to get a veteran QB like McNabb because Locker is not ready. Good luck going up against the Colts and Texans this year Titans.

7. donnymacjack says: Jun 11, 2011 4:27 PM

FWIW – Jake WILL listen to a vet. Trust me on this one, the guy is very very coachable and very liable. He’ll end up being the hardest worker on the team. That is just the way Jake is.

8. donnymacjack says: Jun 11, 2011 4:28 PM

*likable (not liable) lol

9. denverhighrize says: Jun 11, 2011 6:09 PM

Wait Kerry Collins is still alive?

10. jeff061 says: Jun 11, 2011 6:39 PM

How exciting for Titans fans (Not!) Kerry Collins wants to be the starting QB and help the young kid be as good as he is.

Uh…yeah…what else is Kerry goign to do…he isn’t goign to get $5M a year to sell insurance.

11. scott8nj says: Jun 11, 2011 7:38 PM

Collins makes sense for the Titans this year. However, as soon as Locker grasps the offense it’s time to start the process of growing a new, long term QB.

12. thefiesty1 says: Jun 11, 2011 9:28 PM

What do you mean “IF Locker is not ready.” he won’t be ready in three or four years. They better resign Vince if they plan on winning any games this season.

13. purdueman says: Jun 12, 2011 2:22 AM

Wrong Collins; Titans need to sign Bear FA QB Todd Collins!!!

14. bluefan204 says: Jun 12, 2011 8:37 AM

donnymacjack says: Jun 11, 2011 4:27 PM

Anyone else get the impression that Jake Locker reads PFT?